• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think he'd need everyone else to drop out in the WTA states. I am not sure if Cruz can win the more moderate Ohio or Florida and he certainly can't win any of the northeast. Rubio might be able to stop trump there but trump has surprising strength in the northeast.

I think the debate is going to be a bloodbath.

Diablos

Can't quite do it mid-primary without, at the very least, grotesque backlash. Maybe for the next cycle.
Or maybe shit will get real at the convention.

Trump's actual numbers dropping in some states doesn't seem too unusual though you have to wonder if the KKK stuff is hurting him

Still waiting for anyone to show me a realistic scenario where Cruz wins a majority of delegates in remaining states.

Is anyone actually proposing that ? You'd have to be mad or desperate or assume that either Rubio or Trump or both drop or become completely nonviable.

Trump now has 3x more delegates than Rubio
Cruz now has 2x more delegates than Rubio

beautiful

Trump has received a about 1.2 million more votes than Marco

Trump now has 3x more delegates than Rubio
Cruz now has 2x more delegates than Rubio

beautiful

Pretty much the only way it could have gone better for Marcomentum haters is if he had won 0 states (Cruz winning Texas with less than 50%, Trump breaking 20% and Marco not was basically the ideal PoliGAF outcome). .

thefro

Is anyone actually proposing that ? You'd have to be mad or desperate or assume that either Rubio or Trump or both drop or become completely nonviable.

Cruz's best scenario at this point is likely getting the VP slot/Trump promising him the Supreme Court slot in exchange for support at the convention.

Pretty much the only way it could have gone better for Marcomentum haters is if he had won 0 states (Cruz winning Texas with less than 50%, Trump breaking 20% and Marco not was basically the ideal PoliGAF outcome). .

I still hate Minnesota for giving it to him, they ruined the night

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Since I woke up early and was unable to fall back asleep I'll go over how everyone else did.

Cruz

Alabama expected: 16% - Alabama actual: 21% - Difference: +5
Arkansas expected: 26% - Arkansas actual: 31% - Difference: +5
Georgia expected: 20% - Georgia actual: 24% - Difference: +4
Massachusetts expected: 9% - Massachusetts actual: 10% - Difference: +1
Oklahoma expected: 20% - Oklahoma actual: 34% - Difference: +14
Tennessee expected: 18% - Tennessee actual: 25% - Difference: +7
Texas expected: 36% - Texas actual: 44% - Difference: +8
Virginia expected: 15% - Virginia actual: 17% - Difference: +2

He definitely did over perform overall, especially in Oklahoma, but that and Tennessee were the only states it had an impact on Trump.

Rubio
Alabama expected: 19% - Alabama actual: 19% - Difference: 0
Arkansas expected: 20% - Arkansas actual: 25% - Difference: +5
Georgia expected: 21% - Georgia actual: 25% - Difference: +4
Massachusetts expected: 18% - Massachusetts actual: 18% - Difference: 0
Oklahoma expected: 21% - Oklahoma actual: 26% - Difference: +5
Tennessee expected: 18% - Tennessee actual: 21% - Difference: +3
Texas expected: 18% - Texas actual: 18% - Difference: 0
Virginia expected: 25% - Virginia actual: 32% - Difference: +7

Rubio over performed as well to a lesser extent, but not in the states he needed to: Texas and Alabama.

Hillary

Alabama expected: 70% - Alabama actual: 78% - Difference: +8
Arkansas expected: 57% - Arkansas actual: 66% - Difference: +9
Georgia expected: 64% - Georgia actual: 71% - Difference: +7
Massachusetts expected: 51% - Massachusetts actual: 50% - Difference: -1
Oklahoma expected: 42% - Oklahoma actual: 42% - Difference: 0
Tennessee expected: 58% - Tennessee actual: 66% - Difference: +8
Texas expected: 62% - Texas actual: 65% - Difference: +3
Vermont expected: 10% - Vermont actual: 14% - Difference: +4
Virginia expected: 58% - Virginia actual: 64% - Difference: +6

Hillary wrecked it, even beating expectations in Vermont!

Bernie

Alabama expected: 24% - Alabama actual: 19% - Difference: -5
Arkansas expected: 32% - Arkansas actual: 30% - Difference: -2
Georgia expected: 28% - Georgia actual: 28% - Difference: 0
Massachusetts expected: 43% - Massachusetts actual: 49% - Difference: +6
Oklahoma expected: 42% - Oklahoma actual: 52% - Difference: +10
Tennessee expected: 33% - Tennessee actual: 32% - Difference: -1
Texas expected: 32% - Texas actual: 33% - Difference: +1
Vermont expected: 86% - Vermont actual: 86% - Difference: 0
Virginia expected: 35% - Virginia actual: 35% - Difference: 0

Bernie did awful, but he was expected to: Alabama was the worst.

Cheebo

Banned
Karl Rove on Fox News claimed this morning Marco Rubio has all the momentum in this race since he won Minnesota and beat expectations in Virginia. Sorry Trump!

Cheebo

Banned
The conservative media is going to keep claiming Marco has the momentum and is winning literally no matter what happens. It's remarkable

Gruco

Banned
What everyone in here is forgetting about Cruz is that the later half of the primary schedule does not favor him at all. Lots of northern states where he doesn'the draw anywhere near the interest of the voters.

We may be looking at a situation where Kasich again gets more votes than Cruz.

Yeah, last night was terrible for Rubio but it was just as bad for Cruz. Arguably worse because Rubio has much more room to make up for his bad night.

As a reminder, the playbook to stop Trump from getting an outright majority:

@redistrict said:
Scenario for keeping Trump under 1,237: Kasich beats him in OH, Rubio beats him in FL/CA/SD, Cruz competitive in IN/KS/KY/MO/MS.

Gruco

Banned
Talk about threading the needle.

Rubio's and Cruz's failures, along with the coming winner take all states biting the GOP in the ass, have created what can only be described as a completely desperate situation. Consolidation simply won't work anymore, because Trump is too strong geographically for either Cruz or Rubio to stop him on a single front. Had they kept more states proportial they'd much more easily be able to prevent him from getting a majority just by keeping everyone in. But now? Walking on the knife edge.

Talk about threading the needle.

I'm still wondering how they intend to convince a bunch of delegates (who are almost certainly going to be a plurality by a significant margin) who are explicitly there to vote for Trump to back Rubio instead even if Trump doesn't have a clear cut majority. Unless there plan is for every other delegate to converge on 1 candidate with almost none of them defecting to Trump's group while he's got a clear plurality. Seems like there'd be a lot of horse trading and some outright bribery needed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This debate is going to be ugly. Rubio and Cruz will hammer the KKK debacle into the ground.

Which makes no sense because he has publicly disavowed them numerous times. I'm curious if Trump is going to be laid back in the next debate and other guys seem vicious.

CCS

Banned
The Republican party are truly the masters of n-th dimensional chess:

1. Rubio under-performs early in the campaign.
2. Rubio fails to win Florida on the 15th.
3. ???
4. Rubio becomes nominee.

Y2Kev

3. Rubio gets a Heidi heitkamp tank top

Fixed

Gruco

Banned

3. ???

Marco "Totally not an establishment prop, look at what a good candidate I am" Rubio has everyone right where he wants them. Poised. To. Surge.

CCS

Banned

Please, just because I'd vote for Ivy in one of those doesn't mean I'd vote for anyone who wears one. It's not like there's anything to suggest that Rubio might actually swing my way... oh hang on a second let me rethink this.

Y2Kev

I'm not thrilled Cruz won Alaska but my highlight was trump saying Rubio was a big loser at his press conference. Trump knows how to sell a story. He will hammer Rubio choking for the next two weeks at his rallies.

Rubio looked shook last night. I'm so thrilled.

CCS

Banned
I'm not thrilled Cruz won Alaska but my highlight was trump saying Rubio was a big loser at his press conference. Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump knows how to sell a story. He will hammer Rubio choking for the next two weeks at his rallies.

Rubio looked shook last night. I'm so thrilled.

Choke Artist.

Big Fat Mess.

Little Senator.

The Waterboy.

What a candidate. How did they find a man with so many talents?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cruz telling other candidates to drop out last night was the most pathetic thing I have seen in this cycle.

Gruco

Banned
Anecdotes and all that, I really don't hang out with the average Republican, but 100% of those I know are resigning themselves to vote for Hillary in the fall.

Y'all underestimating Rubio.

He's going to win DC big on March 12th.

Haha, that's true. Last night we learned Rubio's base was literally inside the beltway.

Which makes no sense because he has publicly disavowed them numerous times. I'm curious if Drumpf is going to be laid back in the next debate and other guys seem vicious.

Yeah sure, he did disavow(and then go full stupid and then disavow again), but those interviews he gave were mindboggingly awful regardless, and it just kind of reconfirms the campaign he's running and the kind of people he's courting.

I just want Trump to slay Rubio in Florida; there is not a argument or case anyone can make about Rubio being a savior if he loses Florida by double digits

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Which makes no sense because he has publicly disavowed them numerous times. I'm curious if Drumpf is going to be laid back in the next debate and other guys seem vicious.
It will be like the last debate, probably with Rubio acting more desperate.
leDhQWi.gif

Gruco

Banned
There was not enough talk last night about Trump's repeated insinuation that Hillary "may not be allowed to run." I know it's Trump and this is his thing but it was the absolutely smarmiest shit I've ever seen. He didn't offer a reason at all, but repeated it just to drive home the point that for people who don't like her, she's not just a bad choice but hopelessly corrupt to the point where running would be illegal.

OTOH it's kind of impressive how much mileage he's getting out of saying that literally everyone else who might beat him is ineligible to run for president. What a lucky hand he was dealt, running against an entire field of ineligible candidates.

I still think the strangest thing about this election is that I'd still take Trump over Cruz.

I don't know...
Trump being inclusive asking for Dems and Indy voters to junp in board. He has a GE strategy as opposed tio Cruz catering exclusively to the Religious Right.

Trump has a coalition of angry working class in New England + an angry working class in the Deep South. The guy is going after poorly educated Democrats and Republicans

FiggyCal

Banned
I think the GOP had a ton of bad candidates from the start. Trump is probably a better candidate for the GOP than Cruz is if you actually want to win.

Hillary

Alabama expected: 70% - Alabama actual: 78% - Difference: +8
Arkansas expected: 57% - Arkansas actual: 66% - Difference: +9
Georgia expected: 64% - Georgia actual: 71% - Difference: +7
Massachusetts expected: 51% - Massachusetts actual: 50% - Difference: -1
Oklahoma expected: 42% - Oklahoma actual: 42% - Difference: 0
Tennessee expected: 58% - Tennessee actual: 66% - Difference: +8
Texas expected: 62% - Texas actual: 65% - Difference: +3
Vermont expected: 10% - Vermont actual: 14% - Difference: +4
Virginia expected: 58% - Virginia actual: 64% - Difference: +6

Hillary wrecked it, even beating expectations in Vermont!

Bernie

Alabama expected: 24% - Alabama actual: 19% - Difference: -5
Arkansas expected: 32% - Arkansas actual: 30% - Difference: -2
Georgia expected: 28% - Georgia actual: 28% - Difference: 0
Massachusetts expected: 43% - Massachusetts actual: 49% - Difference: +6
Oklahoma expected: 42% - Oklahoma actual: 52% - Difference: +10
Tennessee expected: 33% - Tennessee actual: 32% - Difference: -1
Texas expected: 32% - Texas actual: 33% - Difference: +1
Vermont expected: 86% - Vermont actual: 86% - Difference: 0
Virginia expected: 35% - Virginia actual: 35% - Difference: 0

Bernie did awful, but he was expected to: Alabama was the worst.

Let's dispel with this fiction that Sanders overperformed relative to his polling.

or something

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The clown car fucked up the GOP, if they had 4 or 5 candiates from the start, they could ahve stopped the rise of Trump.

Certainly part of it, I mean look at this shit:

MhOwKJq.jpg

And that's not all of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom