• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That video of him popping pills during a debate makes me wonder if he's medicated for all of his public appearances.

All 3 of the remaining GOP candidates seem like trainwrecks in a general. I'm legit uncertain which one of these guys can actually beat Hillary unless she completely melts down.

PBY

Banned
@JohnKasich Buckle up, America. The Kasich train isn't slowing down anytime soon. #Kasich4Us

giphy.gif

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My bernie friends are such a mountain of salt right now I didn't even bother posting anything last night. They are in full "Fuck Bill and Hillary and their dirty sleezy tricks"

I saw a mention in the thread yesterday that Bill Clinton did something in a particular state that wasn't considered fair play, and that the Clinton campaign would have called out Sanders if he did it, but I missed what he (supposedly?) did.

What actually happened?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I saw a mention in the thread yesterday that Bill Clinton did something in a particular state that wasn't considered fair play, and that the Clinton campaign would have called out Sanders if he did it, but I missed what he (supposedly?) did.

What actually happened?
He shook hands with voters and took pictures with them at their request.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah I don't see Carson openly telling his supporters to vote for a man who deceitfully stole his votes. Ben doesn't play that way.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
He shook hands with voters and took pictures with them at their request.

Should have been outside when he did it, I think it was inside right?
Regardless, he did not seem to be actually campaigning, which dampens the accusation. Plus the election was not that close.

pigeon

Banned

What actually happened?

Bill went to a polling place in Massachusetts and took some pictures.

It is illegal to campaign for any candidate within 150 feet of a polling place during an election.

Some open questions:

* Is a primary an election? They are pretty different. Are they supposed to be covered?
* What constitutes campaigning? If Bill shows up and takes pictures, is that campaigning? Is everything the spouse of a candidate does always campaigning just by virtue of them being the spouse of the candidate?
* Does saying "as long as it's legal" immunize you from prosecution if the thing you're doing turns out not to be legal? (No.)

The New York Times front page is making me nervous. They have this little graph that indicates if Rubio or Cruz drops out the other one will easily beat Trump. Is this true? I thought Rubio squeaks ahead of Trump but Trump stumps Cruz 1v1.

The real answer is no one knows. There is some polling data that supports your position but maybe Cruz looks better if he gets a ton of endorsements and GOP donors spends $100 million dollars in negative campaign ads.

Gruco

Banned
The New York Times front page is making me nervous. They have this little graph that indicates if Rubio or Cruz drops out the other one will easily beat Trump. Is this true? I thought Rubio squeaks ahead of Trump but Trump stumps Cruz 1v1.

I really don't think this should be worrying to anyone. Delegate math that has either Rubio or Cruz crossing into a majority at this point has a clear "show me the receipts" problem. You can make up numbers where that's mathematically true, but much like Bernie's supposed path, it will be laughably stupid.

Trump v Cruz? The best Cruz can hope for is getting stomped almost everywhere in the country. Trump v Rubio? Better, but Rubio will still get blown out in the South and in New England. Trump is waging a multi-front war, and the opposition only has one front apiece.

I was hoping some sanity would return to PredictIt's prices this morning, but that was not the case. Trump for US Prez went from 37-38c down to 32-24c. Trump for R Nom went from 82c to about 75c. I'm down about $400 total (took out about $100 in profits, but G/L went from +1700 to +1200 solely off of Trump declines and some really stupid Rubio surges).

I spent some time setting up positions for a minor Trump boost after his strong showing, but I would have literally been better off selling everything, flying to Las Vegas, spending all night at a low-stakes poker table, and then re-buying my positions in the morning. Or, if I were more risk-averse, selling everything and buying an Xbox One bundle and gaming all night.

What actually happened?

There are laws in MA where you can't campaign within 150 ft of a voting both. You also can't wear clothing supporting a certain candidate. The punishment for violating these laws is a hefty fine of $20.

But Bill wasn't really campaigning he was just there and his celebrity status caused traffic and a big commotion. So there really is nothing in the law that says an ex president can't use their popularity to stop up a voting both.

But still he shouldn't have been there. I kind of wish he would just stay out of the campaign honestly it just seems like he causes more controversy and headaches than good.

pigeon

Banned
There are laws in MA where you can't campaign within 150 ft of a voting both. You also can't wear clothing supporting a certain candidate. The punishment for violating these laws is a hefty fine of $20.

...wait, really? The punishment is $20?

I feel like this is a pretty straightforwardly resolvable problem, then.

What is "campaigning" though? If Bill just came to a precinct to say hello and shake hands, is that campaigning? It's a vague definition.

I agree he shouldn't have done it though.

Kangi

Bill personally body-blocked 20,000 Bernie voters and won the state for Hillary. #slickwillyforprison

Anyway, I look forward to March 15th. Chances are Hillary will pull off a clean-sweep.

But Bill wasn't really campaigning he was just there and his celebrity status caused traffic and a big commotion. So there really is nothing in the law that says an ex president can't use their popularity to stop up a voting both.

But still he shouldn't have been there. I kind of wish he would just stay out of the campaign honestly it just seems like he causes more controversy and headaches than good.

That is for elections, not primaries. Primaries are hosted by the Parties themselves. Unless MA Dem Party has a rule that say you can't do that, then he did nothing wrong. Still was not the best thing to do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bill went to a polling place in Massachusetts and took some pictures.

It is illegal to campaign for any candidate within 150 feet of a polling place during an election.

Some open questions:

* Is a primary an election? They are pretty different. Are they supposed to be covered?
* What constitutes campaigning? If Bill shows up and takes pictures, is that campaigning? Is everything the spouse of a candidate does always campaigning just by virtue of them being the spouse of the candidate?
* Does saying "as long as it's legal" immunize you from prosecution if the thing you're doing turns out not to be legal? (No.)

But Bill isn't running; he's independently famous!

Tom_Cody

Almost certainly. Trump's negatives are skyhigh across the party. He is the definition of polarizing.

That said, there is no reason to think that it will ever come down to a one-on-one race.

ctothej

I was hoping some sanity would return to PredictIt's prices this morning, but that was not the case. Trump for US Prez went from 37-38c down to 32-24c. Trump for R Nom went from 82c to about 75c. I'm down about $400 total (took out about $100 in profits, but G/L went from +1700 to +1200 solely off of Trump declines and some really stupid Rubio surges).

I spent some time setting up positions for a minor Trump boost after his strong showing, but I would have literally been better off selling everything, flying to Las Vegas, spending all night at a low-stakes poker table, and then re-buying my positions in the morning. Or, if I were more risk-averse, selling everything and buying an Xbox One bundle and gaming all night.

Yeah, I saw Mitt Romney shares go up to 6c a few minutes ago. Sometimes PredictIt is just stupid.

That is for elections, not primaries. Primaries are hosted by the Parties themselves. Unless MA Dem Party has a rule that say you can't do that, then he did nothing wrong. Still was not the best thing to do.
States have the authority to regulate primaries. I don't know what this particular law says, but there's nothing stopping MA from making a law that applied to primary elections.

...wait, really? The punishment is $20?

I feel like this is a pretty straightforwardly resolvable problem, then.

Normally people are just told to leave, or change their clothes and come back. Its like a blue law, basically. And most states don't even have it.

The laws are there to basically stop people through signs and clothes or whatever to not "influence" other voters. However, whether or not Bill was "campaigning" simply due to who he is, him showing up and shaking hands basically is the same effect as some rando setting up a stage and a bunch of signs shouting through a megaphone in regards to having "influence".

Reddit is going nuts over the emails again, but that got me thinking....

Obama is probably getting daily briefings on this. I'm sure the top tier of the Democrats know where the investigations are headed. They would probably be scrambling to find an alternative that would not jeopardize the last 8 years, wouldn't they?

Drakeon

Obama is probably getting daily briefings on this. I'm sure the top tier of the Democrats know where the investigations are headed. They would probably be scrambling to find an alternative that would not jeopardize the last 8 years, wouldn't they?

The emails are meaningless. Reddit is hilariously biased for Sanders, take everything they say in regards to Hillary with the hugest grain of salt. Or simply ignore it, because that's what I do. /r/politics is fucking obnoxious, filtered it out a while ago because of them.

Gruco

Banned

They've already found the replacement.

It's Mitt Romney.

Bowdz

One would assume.

I believe the FBI and DoJ in the sense that they are being fairly independent with the investigation, but I also find it impossible that no one at the White House has any contacts at the FBI that are keeping them appraised of the situation. Ultimately, it comes down to Loretta Lynch, and regardless of her statements, she is a political entity that I have an extraordinarily hard time believing will prosecute the odds on favorite to be the next POTUS.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Man, I wish I could find some of the posts and articles about the Dem Primary in 2008. Everyone freaking out about how bad the Sanders / Clinton split is would probably be flabbergasted about how crazy Obama / Clinton was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom