• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNI_romney_drugmexico_120920_wmain.jpg

"I hate racism guys"

Abounder

Banned
Reddit is going nuts over the emails again, but that got me thinking....

Obama is probably getting daily briefings on this. I'm sure the top tier of the Democrats know where the investigations are headed. They would probably be scrambling to find an alternative that would not jeopardize the last 8 years, wouldn't they?

Remember when Joe Biden announced he wasn't running? He's their no.2 guy

NeoXChaos

Devine thinks they have a chance in MI with AA's. He gave a shout out to Diablos too
“Michigan is such an important state because it offers such a sharp contrast between the two candidates on such an important issue — about whether you stood with working families or whether you chose to side with corporate interests who are shipping jobs overseas,” Weaver explained, adding that Sanders’ economic message could appeal to black voters living in cities like Detroit and Flint. “The African-American middle class in Michigan has been destroyed by the job-crushing trade deals that Secretary Clinton has consistently supported over the years. And if you look at what’s going on with the schools, the dilapidated schools of Detroit, and funding problems in places like Flint, Michigan, that is all directly tied to her economic policies. So she’s going to have to bear her responsibility for her role over the last 20 years in decimating the economy in Michigan, including the African-American middle class, which was once the pride of this country."
And once Michigan votes, that message will spread, Weaver projected, outlining what some Sanders operatives describe as the best-case scenario: wins in the heavily-white caucus states of Nebraska, Kansas, and Maine in the coming days, followed by a strong performance in Michigan and other big industrial states.

“We’re going to do very well in Pennsylvania, a place where his message on trade is going to do extremely well. Western Pennsylvania is a place where, again, another place that’s been decimated by Hillary Clinton’s failed economic policies,” said Weaver. “The auto industry in Ohio? Decimated by Hillary Clinton’s economic policies. Michigan? Auto industry and the rest of the industrial capacity in Michigan, destroyed by Hillary Clinton’s economic policies. Illinois has lost tens of thousands of jobs due to Hillary Clinton’s economic policies. So I think she’s going to have to answer, as we go into the industrial Midwest, why she has not stood with working families and middle class people. Why she has instead stood with corporate interests who have shipped our jobs overseas and are now funding our campaign."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/bernie-sanders-super-tuesday-response-220127#ixzz41mI1T6N1

Gruco

Banned
Devine said:
I know there’s a lot of number-crunchers who think they understand the way this process works. I would suggest that understanding the dynamic of a modern presidential campaign requires more than the skills of arithmetic. It requires understanding of the dynamic [of the calendar].

Sanders campaign in a nutshell. Math is stupid, we know better.
And we'll take as many student loan and unemployment payments as is necessary to prove it

effzee

UNI_romney_drugmexico_120920_wmain.jpg

"I hate racism guys"

Will be extremely difficult to believe him after that leaked "47%" video, the constant dog whistles, and the hard right turn he took in his bid for Presidency.

That's the thing him or other establishment Republicans don't recognize. Trump is only capitalizing on the base they have cultivated, attracted, and embraced in the past. I used to think they were clever and knew exactly what they were doing by getting these votes but not necessarily believing what they said...

...but now it seems like they are just naive by not recognizing how racist they and their party already is.

Man, I wish I could find some of the posts and articles about the Dem Primary in 2008. Everyone freaking out about how bad the Sanders / Clinton split is would probably be flabbergasted about how crazy Obama / Clinton was.

Yup. People forget that aside from the fact that Lieberman would be rejected by the base that the entire reason for Palin being the VP choice was because she was a woman so obviously Hillary voters would support her.

When Democrats Go Post-al

The vicious Clinton-versus-Obama rupture at Daily Kos, the most activist site in the liberal blogosphere, reflects a party-wide split. What really rankles, as Democrats tear at one another, is the free pass they’ve given McCain—and the White House.

Rush Limbaugh urges vote for Obama

"I now believe he would be the weakest of the Democrat nominees," Limbaugh, among the most powerful voices in conservative radio, said on his program. "I now urge the Democrat superdelegates to make your mind up and publicly go for Obama."

Angry Clinton Supporters Start Rallying for McCain Online

Some Clintonites are so mad about Barack Obama’s Tuesday victory that they’ve launched a web site to build support to launch a lobbying group to support Republican John McCain.

"We’re going to run campaign ads to defeat Obama," says Ed Hale, a 63-year-old rancher and a Clinton supporter from Wellington, Texas. "We have doctors, lawyers, CPAs, the blue bloods, and then we have rednecks like me. It’s a very diversified organization."

Jim Acosta said:
GOP source: Romney "will praise Sen. Marco Rubio and. Sen. Ted Cruz, and perhaps Ohio Gov. John Kasich"

That's it?? How does the guy who shived Perry on immigration that think saying nice things about other candidates will be enough to stop the Stump Train?

Obama’s Problem With Working-Class Whites: Not As Bad As You Think!

Barack Obama’s biggest problem is — all together now — white working-class voters. Right? Even as Obama has essentially wrapped up the Democratic nomination, analysts and pundits have been squawking since the Ohio primary that he hasn’t been able to break through among downscale whites. These fabled Reagan Democrats, who are really Nixon Democrats, comprise crucial chunks of the electorate in historically swing states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania, and Obama supposedly is cruising for big trouble in November unless he connects better with them.

Why are we spending so much time on these particular white folks? For one thing, the Clinton campaign has zeroed in on them as Hillary’s last chance to wrest the nomination.

Clinton Has A Math Problem; She Is Losing By Even More After Last Night.

Hillary Clinton won big victories Tuesday night in Ohio, Texas and Rhode Island. But she’s now even further behind in the race for the Democratic nomination. How could that be? Math. It’s relentless. To beat Barack Obama among pledged delegates, Clinton now needs even bigger margins in the 12 remaining primaries than she needed when I ran the numbers on Monday, an average of 23 points, which is more than double what she received in Ohio. Superdelegates won’t help Clinton if she cannot erase Obama’s lead among pledged delegates, which now stands at roughly 134. Caucus results from Texas aren’t complete, but Clinton will probably net about 10 delegates out of March 4. That’s 10 down, 134 to go. Good luck.

About 15 years ago, I said something nasty on CNN about Donald Trump’s hair. I can’t now remember the context, assuming there was one. In any case, Trump saw it and left a message the next day.

“It’s true you have better hair than I do,” Trump said matter-of-factly. “But I get more pussy than you do.” Click.

wrecked

TheCrow

Mayor of Flint was just on msnbc saying that Bernie Sanders has yet to get in touch with her. Reporter said maybe that'll happen soon due to the debate but she wasn't having it. Mayor said Bernie was in town last week but still didn't visit her. Meanwhile the Clinton camp has been keeping in touch with her regularly.

I think TPM had a note from a GOP contact right after Rubio's loop error that it was an example of a pervasive anxiousness that he and his campaign try to keep a lid on. Basically, he melts down easily. I think it's something you pick up on even when he's smooth-talking through his prepared remarks.
Yep. The relevant article:

“What’s the point of having political capital if you’re never going to use it?” Ana Navarro, a GOP commentator (and current Bush supporter), demanded during one early conversation with Rubio.
“He just lets these little things get to him, and he worries too much,” a Miami Republican complained after spending close to an hour sitting next to Rubio on a flight as he fretted over a mildly critical process story about him in the National Journal. “I’m just like, ‘Marco, calm down.’”

Lol, who said that?

Source http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-is-shocking-vulgar-and-right-213572

Mayor of Flint was just on msnbc saying that Bernie Sanders has yet to get in touch with her. Reporter said maybe that'll happen soon due to the debate but she wasn't having it. Mayor said Bernie was in town last week but still didn't visit her. Meanwhile the Clinton camp has been keeping in touch with her regularly.

She knows she can't endorse Clinton more than once, right.

Just saw a Berniebro post an image on Facebook of a new Bill Clinton "meme":

"I choose other women over Hillary.

You should too."

Seriously? Seriously? This Berniebro is truly earning the "Berniebro" epithet.

Note: I know most Bernie supporters wouldn't post that kind of meme.

Nate Silver ‏@NateSilver538 3m3 minutes ago
Average share of late-deciding voters in 13 states with exit polls so far:
Rubio 29%
Cruz 27%
Trump 20%
Kasich 12%

I'm wondering if people are misreading the large numbers of voters who decided in the last week.

Sure, those the late breakers went for Rubio before, due to being rational about their choice given data in front of them...but this is not the case now. It's been a 3 man race for a couple weeks. There's largely a "bandwagon effect" for Trump at play is my guess. Rubio may still win late deciders but not by as much.

Bingo! Winning over Trump by just 9 percentage points doomed him.

BTW, The establishment fucked up big time and here's how. By not rallying around Kasich. We all pretty much agreed that Kasich probably had the best shot in 2016 against Hillary. I know he's not as moderate as he pretends to be but the perception is that he is moderate. And he would play it that way. And he appears to care about the poor. And he has a good record for a Republican. And he worked in the federal gov't, private sector, media, and state gov't level. His credentials are there. He also ran a more positive campaign and he has often sounded like the adult in the group.

The Republican Establishment is well aware of their problem with minorities. But the Establishment doesn't "get it." Just like they thought by putting Palin out there that "hey we have a woman VP!" being good enough they think having a young Cuban be the face of their party would be good enough. But Rubio is a bad candidate. He's very conservative, he's unpolished, and can't debate for shit. He had to resort to dick jokes against Donald Fucking Trump.

Kasich was the only candidate from the very beginning calling Trump's positions crazy. His Medicaid expansion also wouldn't have hurt him nearly as much as they thought it would have. Kasich is the only candidate that could have siphoned off Trump's support. Think about it. yes, he has a bunch of racists and Kasich wouldn't touch those but that's not all his support. He has a lot of support from the "Trump is successful, yay businesman" group, too. It's why he won Massachusetts so easily. It's why Trump wins in every demographic or at least gets a good chunk of them. He appeals not just to nativists but also those who aren't super conservative and love business people and people who "gets things done". Kasich would have appealed to some of these folks!

The problem is Kasich got drowned out by the Cruz-Trump-Rubio wars since early January.

It's too late now, Kasich has no path to the majority of delegates. The GOP Establishment put their money on Rubio once Jeb! bombed. Partly because he's a minority and young, partly because Kasich expanded medicaid and they bet wrong. Very wrong.

Kasich was the GOP's best hope for Not Trump and the GE but they never recognized it and it is now waaaaaay too late. Think about it, had they unified around him in early January, Rubio drops out after NH and the GOP goes on a full on attack on Trump for being a racist and Kasich is now the nominee.

Alas...

Effect

Bernie definitely has appeal here in western PA. I see tons of signs for him and not many for Hillary. Lots of men from around here do not like her.

If Mittens goes third party... ������

The sign thing isn't something we can really look to as away of judging support I think. The same was said in a lot of other states that people didn't see Hillary signs, etc.. Hillary supporters overall just don't seem like the put a sign in your yard, window, or car type. Or at least don't feel the need to really do it.

The sign things isn't something we can really look to as away of judging support I think. The same was said in a lot of other states that people didn't see Hillary signs, etc.. Hillary supporters overall just don't seem like the put a sign in your yard, window, or car type. Or at least don't feel the need to really do it.
Jeb! had lots of signs in New Hampshire

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
BTW, The establishment fucked up big time and here's how. By not rallying around Kasich. We all pretty much agreed that Kasich probably had the best shot in 2016 against Hillary. I know he's not as moderate as he pretends to be but the perception is that he is moderate. And he would play it that way. And he appears to care about the poor. And he has a good record for a Republican. And he worked in the federal gov't, private sector, media, and state gov't level. His credentials are there. He also ran a more positive campaign and he has often sounded like the adult in the group.

The Republican Establishment is well aware of their problem with minorities. But the Establishment doesn't "get it." Just like they thought by putting Palin out there that "hey we have a woman VP!" being good enough they think having a young Cuban be the face of their party would be good enough. But Rubio is a bad candidate. He's very conservative, he's unpolished, and can't debate for shit. He had to resort to dick jokes against Donald Fucking Trump.

Kasich was the only candidate from the very beginning calling Trump's positions crazy. His Medicaid expansion also wouldn't have hurt him nearly as much as they thought it would have. Kasich is the only candidate that could have siphoned off Trump's support. Think about it. yes, he has a bunch of racists and Kasich wouldn't touch those but that's not all his support. He has a lot of support from the "Trump is successful, yay businesman" group, too. It's why he won Massachusetts so easily. It's why Trump wins in every demographic or at least gets a good chunk of them. He appeals not just to nativists but also those who aren't super conservative and love business people and people who "gets things done". Kasich would have appealed to some of these folks!

The problem is Kasich got drowned out by the Cruz-Trump-Rubio wars since early January.

It's too late now, Kasich has no path to the majority of delegates. The GOP Establishment put their money on Rubio once Jeb! bombed. Partly because he's a minority and young, partly because Kasich expanded medicaid and they bet wrong. Very wrong.

Kasich was the GOP's best hope for Not Trump and the GE but they never recognized it and it is now waaaaaay too late. Think about it, had they unified around him in early January, Rubio drops out after NH and the GOP goes on a full on attack on Trump for being a racist and Kasich is now the nominee.

Alas...

Agreed, Kasich was the guy they should have lined up behind and he knew it from the start. You could see it in the way he talks about the race. He might be an asshole, but he's not a fucking moron. The GOP needs to make him the head of the party going forward, at least then they'll stand a chance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite thing about the Romney speech is that the RNC legitimately thinks there are people out there desperately waiting to be influenced by what one of the worst presidential candidates in decades has to say. Good times.

Romney has been labeled by the base as a loser. Why should they care?

noshten

Just saw a Berniebro post an image on Facebook of a new Bill Clinton "meme":

"I choose other women over Hillary.

You should too."

Seriously? Seriously? This Berniebro is truly earning the "Berniebro" epithet.

Note: I know most Bernie supporters wouldn't post that kind of meme.

You are easily outraged - seriously!

Bingo! Winning over Trump by just 9 percentage points doomed him.

Alas...

I actually wonder if the GOP would have a better shot of blocking Trump's path to a majority if Rubio dropped out. Kasich plays better in the midwest and northeastern WTA states left and unlike Rubio would win his home state if the race consolidated. Florida looks like a lost cause for anyone other than Trump and without that state Rubio isn't any better positioned than Kaisch.

Kasich is a Republican, but at least he's willing to compromise on stuff. Medicaid, the group he set up he mentioned during one of the Debates, etc.

But that's the issue, isn't? The Republican Establishment/base isn't the kind that compromises, they're the kind that fights everything unless it's the way they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom