• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

7OetS4l.png

I don't think this was a joke post
I think it's a joke post.

Ophelion

Advice for all Democrats going forward: DO NOT RUN AWAY FROM THE ACA

CcpUPWeUcAEUZvz.jpg:large

http://letterstopresidentobama.tumb...t-brent-brown-from-mosinee-wisconsin-he-never

Have a friend in a very similar boat. Everything the ACA did for her kept her alive when the rest of the system was set to profit off her slow and painful death. She did vote for Obama though. That program saved my best friend's life. End of story. ACA isn't perfect, but it's done a lot of good that can't just be ignored.

Thought about going in on disastermouse when he had his big blow up, where he was calling ACA a mistake and stuff, but I would have gone off big time and it wasn't worth eating a ban over.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He should drop. Its over. Not sure why he's still doing this. His message is out and its been heard.

In fairness, I don't think Hillary dropped when it was clear Obama was winning in '08 and I don't know that its best for the party to begin with. The Clinton campaign already struggled with the idea that she was pre-emptively crowned as the candidate by the DNC. There's nothing really *that* wrong with letting it play out and the way elections have gone have made it clear that these GOP style attacks aren't actually working.

Letters like those are a good reminder of why, if you have a credible shot at Something Great, you fucking take it even if you wont bullseye the target, and political capital be damned. Damn thing, even compromised, was certainly worth the six years of republican fuckery yall got.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Have a friend in a very similar boat. Everything the ACA did for her kept her alive when the rest of the system was set to profit off her slow and painful death. She did vote for Obama though. That program saved my best friend's life. End of story. ACA isn't perfect, but it's done a lot of good that can't just be ignored.

Thought about going in on disastermouse when he had his big blow up, where he was calling ACA a mistake and stuff, but I would have gone off big time and it wasn't worth eating a ban over.

I had the same thought at the time and I am someone that was helped immensely by the ACA. I may not be dead right now if it hadn't passed, but I'd be under an inescapable and ever growing debt due to all the bills and a pre-existing condition.

Personal note... I find the 'Feel the Bern' mantra somewhat awkward and somewhat creepy. Just as an aside, not aimed at anyone in particular.

But the initial statement adam made was a broad statement about AA voters in the north, based on polling data out of MI.

Do we have polling data that suggest Clinton isn't doing will with AA voters in the north overall? Genuine question.

If Sanders only does well amongst AA largely surrounded by white people stumping for Sanders, whereas Clinton does well amongst AA communities... regardless of the Mason Dixie line or however you want to split things up.... does that really speak to his appeal amongst AA voters?

And if he only does well with them when they are a minority of the voters... I think it's safe to presume that Clinton is doing well with them overall.

The smallest AA gap I can find for Hillary in the north is the 50 point spread Quinnipiac gave her in Ohio.

Overlee

https://twitter.com/BeachPeanuts/status/705453182290403328

Obama doesn't have the greatest relationship with a variety of elected democrats. You know where he has a lot of support and unyielding respect? Michigan elected democrats, and a whole lot of Michigan voters.

If you look up the numbers only about half of those jobs came back and the ones that did were at a substantially lower wage

Richard Wolff said:
Well, Detroit is the most extreme example. A few years ago, in the depths of this current crisis—2008, '09, ’10—the United States government bailed out General Motors and Chrysler. It bailed out the two big companies in Detroit. But it never bailed out Detroit. I mean, you could not have a starker arrangement. The worst of it? One example: Part of the deal that brought together the federal government bailout, the state and the city, was to get the agreement of the United Auto Workers, the union, for what's called a two-tier wage system. The old workers that were already in position kept getting their old wage. But all new workers to be hired would be hired at half the old wage. Instead of about $28 or $29 an hour, roughly $14 to $16 an hour, which meant that if the car companies could come back, Detroit couldn’t, because the return of workers to the automobile industries would be workers paid $14 or $15 an hour, and that puts you below the poverty wage in the United States. So this is an abomination in which the top, the industry, the big corporations, are bailed out, and the very cities that depend on them are told to fend for themselves.

source

But yes Obama saved the auto industry but he didn't save the aspects that made it a worth while industry in the first place.

Foffy

Banned
tumblr_n07u1hSezS1trzyi8o1_500.gif

Aww, Sour? Someone has me on ignore? I feel special.

I never get why anyone would put anyone else on ignore. Be mindful to all voices and ideas, even if they are not your own. Especially if they are not your own: be super duper mindful of the different streams of thoughts that exist, whatever they are. I think failing that is failing on a basic level of openness and empathy.

Then again, he ignored both you and I for not liking Drag Race gifs. This is awfully sinful. We must find it in our hearts to forgive him, for he has not transcended the game at twerk like we have.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but your point boils down to "If he does better, he does better." So far, Hillary's worst margin among AA voters was in OK, where it was 54 points. The most recent poll in Ohio was a 50 some point advantage among AA to Hillary.

I know you're hanging your hat on Bernie doing better among northern AA voters...and I agree with you. Because it would literally be impossible for him to do any worse than hes done thus far. However, there hasn't been a single poll or data point to show that he's done any better than losing them by 50 points.

Actually, I'm perfectly fine with admitting that I don't know if Bernie will do much better in the north with AA voters, but the evidence isn't there for Clinton either. Michigan doesn't represent all of the north.

but the population of AA and Latinos are not low in ANY of those Midwestern states. NJ, NY, PA, OH, MI, MO, FL, NC in the south & CA in the west have SIGNIFICANT minority populations. Bernie is screwed in those states if he repeats his ST performance.

The Midwest is not all of the north.

Personal note... I find the 'Feel the Bern' mantra somewhat awkward and somewhat creepy. Just as an aside, not aimed at anyone in particular.

But the initial statement adam made was a broad statement about AA voters in the north, based on polling data out of MI.

Do we have polling data that suggest Clinton isn't doing will with AA voters in the north overall? Genuine question.

If Sanders only does well amongst AA largely surrounded by white people stumping for Sanders, whereas Clinton does well amongst AA communities... regardless of the Mason Dixie line or however you want to split things up.... does that really speak to his appeal amongst AA voters?

And if he only does well with them when they are a minority of the voters... I think it's safe to presume that Clinton is doing well with them overall.

We don't have recent polling data to suggest either way for most of the northern states. We'll have to wait and see.

And I'll agree with you that Bernie isn't doing well with the majority of AA voters overall, simply because of how poorly he did in the south.

That MI poll adam posted literally confirms that her support in the north with AA is strong just as the south. Don't be surprised at another 30 pt rout on Tuesday and Bernie not meeting the AL threshold.

Unless MI LITERALLY represents every single northern state in the US, your statement is objectively FALSE.

I never get why anyone would put anyone else on ignore. Be mindful to all voices and ideas, even if they are not your own. Especially if they are not your own: be super duper mindful of the different streams of thoughts that exist, whatever they are. I think failing that is failing on a basic level of openness and empathy.

Then again, he ignored both you and I for not liking Drag Race gifs. This is awfully sinful. We must find it in our hearts to forgive him, for he has not transcended the game at twerk like we have.
You have a good memory! I'll take you guys off ignore since I think the gifposting was just a rapidfire thing during the debates, but that doesn't mean I'm apologizing :p

Tarkus

Yeah, ignore is childish. Just skip over if you don't like them.

Bernie. Stop. Let Republicans do that shit. It doesn't even make sense.
I had the same thought at the time and I am someone that was helped immensely by the ACA. I may not be dead right now if it hadn't passed, but I'd be under an inescapable and ever growing debt due to all the bills and a pre-existing condition.
If people were to ask enough of their friends and coworkers, probably everyone could find a positive ACA testimonial now. It's done a lot more good than the average person realized. Hoping that Democrats run hard with it. They deserve the credit after the shit they got in 2010.

Holmes

I don't even know why Sanders is trying to appeal to Detroit. It's most likely going to be his worst region of the state. He needs to run the margins upstate and in the Upper Peninsula.

You have a good memory! I'll take you guys off ignore since I think the gifposting was just a rapidfire thing during the debates, but that doesn't mean I'm apologizing :p

I will say that if I said anything whatsoever to offend you in anyway, I apologize. Most of my snark is just the fact that I'm a big, bitter bitch, and I don't mean it literally.

But I shall never apologize for the drag queen gifs....but I promise to only post them when they're absolutely relevant. Or the day ends in -y. :p

PBY

Banned
Bernie gotta go.

Selfishly - at a fundamental level his campaign and the Democratic race are just uninteresting to me - tired of hearing about his chances. (which don't exist)

Foffy

Banned

Really not liking Bernie playing the game of egoic division that people in politics already do.

But it's probably him coming back down to reality, where the momentum for the change he aspires to isn't there yet. For many reasons, whatever they may be, it ain't there.

I feel more comfortable with the Queen everyday, for I may not like her aspirations and her lack of genuine endgames to appreciate, she at least is working within the reason of this climate. I often discard it and look at issues/solutions directly, but I suppose I am greatly overestimating Americans ability to reason as I do so. I am unfortunately quick to remember people believe in an alien interventional being, a division between organism and environment, and free will, all of which produce dangerous ideas.

We have to work where we are, even if where we are is an age bathed in ignorance and shitbrained thinking that is in no way accountable.

I remember because I felt sad. Maybe I'm a goody two shoes, but I try to not get anyone angry or hostile to me to the degree they feel they need to ignore me.

Then again, if all I talk about is the illusion of self, automation, and post Drag Race gifs, I'm already posting niche topics on GAF. People can only handle the same person saying the same things for so long.

I'm starting to think he really is dragging this out to the convention.

Ugh...
Is it fair to say that it's unethical to take campaign donations at this point, when your math doesn't work and you have no path to nomination; now you're just taking people's money to possibly pay off campaign debts? Maybe I'm making it sound more sleazy than it is, but I'm starting to question him with all these dumb Tweets coming out lately.

I remember because I felt sad. Maybe I'm a goody two shoes, but I try to not get anyone angry or hostile to me to the degree they feel they need to ignore me.
I will say that if I said anything whatsoever to offend you in anyway, I apologize. Most of my snark is just the fact that I'm a big, bitter bitch, and I don't mean it literally.

But I shall never apologize for the drag queen gifs....but I promise to only post them when they're absolutely relevant. Or the day ends in -y. :p
Nah you never offended me (or made me angry), it was more of a "I gotta wait for all these gifs to load on mobile" issue at the time.

Gruco

Banned
I'm starting to think he really is dragging this out to the convention.

Ugh...

There's no question that's what is going to happen. His supporters are delusional and will supply him with as much money as needed and keep kidding themselves about his circumstances. Idiots like Cenk or terrible HuffPo contributors will continue to provide joke justifications for why "Not only is it not over, Bernie is actually winning!" These people live in a bubble where they think the only problem is that people just aren't educated enough to see things there way.

And yes, the more grim the situation becomes, the more desperate and aggressive the attacks will become.

I'm very excited to vote against Bernie on Tuesday. There's nothing much to do about it but make the reality of the situation visible until people move past denial/anger/bargaining and on to acceptance.

Kangi

I wonder if anyone's ever bothered to ignore me. On the one hand, I can't think of anything I've ever done that's provoking enough to warrant it. On the other, I have like 40 people on my ignore list so it's only fair if someone returned the favor sooner or later.

Crocodile

I have no issue with Sanders staying in even if he can't win if no other reason than to keep Clinton sharp. I am getting increasingly concerned though about the money Sanders supporters are giving to a losing cause (if stories of people giving when they shouldn't due to stressful fiances is true) and the fact that the rhetoric of the Sanders campaign is getting increasingly GOP-like or just plain dumb (hurr durr Red States don't matter). It could easily turn a point from "keeping Clinton sharp" to "actively hurting the Democratic party". We aren't there yet but we are certainly closer to that line now that we were like a week ago :/

fantomena

Miley Cyrus: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCdBM3WwzJD/

Yes . That is a tear rolling down my cheek dripping off the end of my nose..... This makes me so unbelievable scared and sad.... Not only for our country but for animals that I love more than anything in this world.... My heart is broken into a 100000 pieces ..... I think I may vomit .... That picture on the right is so disturbing.... YOU are not destiny! It is not your job to decide when a living things life is over .... & YOU DT ARE NOT GOD NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU THINK YOU ARE!!! (& if he doesn't think he is "God" he thinks he is the fucking chosen one or some shit! We're all just fucking jam between his rich ass toes! Honestly fuck this shit I am moving if this is my president! I don't say things I don't mean! )

I need context on this. What does Hillary got to do with Detroit?

Oh why did disastermouse go insane right before Nevada. I would have love to see his thoughts over the recent current events.

fantomena

uninteresting to me - tired of hearing about his chances. (which don't exist)

I disagree with this. Anything can happen in 2016. Last year everyone told Trump was a joke, his momentum would die quickyl, he wouldn't do this or or that. Guess what? He has done everything everyone said he wouldn't do and he's likely the GOP nominee.

The rules are out of the window.

I need context on this. What does Hillary got to do with Detroit?

Absolutely nothing. Detroit is the home of the American auto industry. When Obama took office, General Motors and the rest were nearing bankruptcy. Without his action, millions of jobs and billions of dollars would have left Detroit and the American economy as a whole. He, along with the Democratic caucus in the House and Senate, saved the auto industry.

For a person running for the Democratic nomination to use Detroit (which is heavily AA and Union) as a weapon against another Democrat is absolutely gross.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hillary does not need to respond or acknowledge. Just keep clocking him and then get indicted and go to jail.

I have no issue with Sanders staying in even if he can't win if no other reason than to keep Clinton sharp. I am getting increasingly concerned though about the money Sanders supporters are giving to a losing cause (if stories of people giving when they shouldn't due to stressful fiances is true) and the fact that the rhetoric of the Sanders campaign is getting increasingly GOP-like or just plain dumb (hurr durr Red States don't matter). It could easily turn a point from "keeping Clinton sharp" to "actively hurting the Democratic party". We aren't there yet but we are certainly closer to that line now that we were like a week ago :/

It's funny

You saying that, I can't help and think but Sanders and Trump are two sides of the same coin.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I disagree with this. Anything can happen in 2016. Last year everyone told Trump was a joke, his momentum would die quickyl, he wouldn't do this or or that. Guess what? He has done everything everyone said he wouldn't do and he's likely the GOP nominee.

There's a pretty big difference between what's going on with the GOP and what's going on with the Dems.

fantomena

Absolutely nothing. Detroit is the home of the American auto industry. When Obama took office, General Motors and the rest were nearing bankruptcy. Without his action, millions of jobs and billions of dollars would have left Detroit and the American economy as a whole. He, along with the Democratic caucus in the House and Senate, saved the auto industry.

For a person running for the Democratic nomination to use Detroit (which is heavily AA and Union) as a weapon against another Democrat is absolutely gross.

Oh okay.

He's still right that Hillarys eariler and current support for free trade agreements are disgusting. But that was still very dragged out by him or whoever is running the Twitter account.

There's a pretty big difference between what's going on with the GOP and what's going on with the Dems.

Maybe, i still would say he got a chance, even thoguh it's very slim.

Grief.exe

Is it fair to say that it's unethical to take campaign donations at this point, when your math doesn't work and you have no path to nomination; now you're just taking people's money to possibly pay off campaign debts? Maybe I'm making it sound more sleazy than it is, but I'm starting to question him with all these dumb Tweets coming out lately.

Those shirts are sick though.

Same guy who designed the hope and change poster for Obama I believe.

It is nearing mathematical impossibility that Bernie can win the nomination. In 2008, Obama had a 100 delegate advantage that Hillary could never overcome even though she won Ohio, New York and California.

Hillary is sitting at a 200 delegate lead right now. She is favored in every big state that's left on the board. And this time, Michigan and Florida will actually count.

fantomena

Also, seems like Miley is supporting Bernie, apparently she had a picture of him with another dude and the pic said something like "My 2 favorite dudes".

PBY

Banned

The fact that one unlikely event happened =/= increase the chances of such outlier events happening again.

Also, this is nothing like Trump, and all of the math is against Bernie.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hillary does not need to respond or acknowledge. Just keep clocking him and then get indicted and go to jail.

Maybe they can find her a double cell with her husband.

Ophelion

Somehow still manages to be elected, runs the country from prison with aides coming by her cell for instructions like she's the political Hannibal Lecter.

Makes history as the first inmate president.

fantomena

Animal cruelty is horrific, yes, but this is what changes her mind on the man? Really?

Might be the tipping point for her. She's an animal lover.

It is nearing mathematical impossibility that Bernie can win the nomination. In 2008, Obama had a 100 delegate advantage that Hillary could never overcome even though she won Ohio, New York and California.

Hillary is sitting at a 200 delegate lead right now. She is favored in every big state that's left on the board. And this time, Michigan and Florida will actually count.

Sure, he has a slim chance.

Bernie go to jail? What did he do?

Angry Grimace

Somehow still manages to be elected, runs the country from prison with aides coming by her cell for instructions like she's the political Hannibal Lecter.

Hillary issuing orders from her unsecured non-government issued cell phone

Gruco

Banned
Maybe they can find her a double cell with her husband.

That's true, if Bill can't get Wall Street to pony up his fine for election fraud he'll be back in the slammer in no time.

She'd probably set up an unsecured email server from prison. Typical Clinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom