• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
He could threaten it, but there's literally no way for him to put an organization of that scale together in time for it to matter much. A third-party populist presidential run as a spoiler is one thing, that's another thing altogether.

What if the party was named the Trump party and he could get them on all the ballots? I'm sure a lot of people blindly vote a straight ticket.

What if the party was named the Trump party and he could get them on all the ballots? I'm sure a lot of people blindly vote a straight ticket.

In a couple years maybe. This year it's all but impossible. He'd need to start doing it right now. And that doesn't include viable candidates.

LMAO at the thought of Chuck Grassley losing, he's an institution in the state.

It'd be a shock if his seat was even seriously threatened.

Des Moines Register already ran an op-ed condemning him for the Supreme Court vacancy battle. He's going to be tied to that all summer, especially after the 4-4 ties roll in. Every newspaper in the state that isn't a conservative rag is going to be endorsing Grassley's opponent. Plus in a Hillary vs Trump election we're looking at at least a +5 Democratic electorate, if not more.

He's done.

Creating an entirely new political party with candidates willing to run in open seats in a matter of months is all but impossible.

You should watch the British miniseries "The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard." It's about a woman who is the manager of a grocery store who runs as an Independent, but ends up becoming PM because she wins so many to her side who refuse to stand as Labour/Conservative/Lib Dem.

Slayven

Watching the GOP reaping the rewards of suckling at the diseased teat of the Tea Party would be funny if it wasn't for the fact a certified nutbag is in spitting distance of the white house.

NeoXChaos

Des Moines Register already ran an op-ed condemning him for the Supreme Court vacancy battle. He's going to be tied to that all summer, especially after the 4-4 ties roll in. Every newspaper in the state that isn't a conservative rag is going to be endorsing Grassley's opponent. Plus in a Hillary vs Trump election we're looking at at least a +5 Democratic electorate, if not more.

He's done.

nope. You'd have to convince everyone who votes for HIllary assuming she wins IA to not ticket split for Grassley. Barring that there will be a lot of Hillary/Grassley voters.

He's done.

This is a guy that winning by 30 points is a close election for him. He's not going to lose unless Iowa goes to Hillary by like 15 points. If you want to argue that his seat might possibly be in play, that's one thing, but the idea that he's "done" is a bit ridiculous.

Gruco

Banned
In typical GOP faction, they've gone too far to walk it back at this point. Rmoney has been all over my local (Ohio) news this evening. They spent more time talking about that than any of the local stories so far. The narrative has become that the GOP doesn't want Trump. The GOP is just so freaking over-reactive to every damn thing. This is why they fail

If they just didn't lose their shit at every little thing, and would do something coherent, We see this with the Clintons. If the GOP would just calm the hell down they could get some of this shit to stick on people. But they don't. They're like monkeys that fling shit around. Politics requires a scalpel not a sledge hammer.

Can't help but think of SNL right after the debate where McCain wouldn't shut up about Joe the Plumber. "I plan to take to the budget a scalpel, and a machete, and a plunger!"

I've spent the last 16 years convinced that the best possible thing for American politics is that the GOP just completely fucking burns to the ground in the hopes that something less odious rises out of it's ashes. I don't really expect that to happen, but...the cracks that we see right now are really exciting.

Tarkus

I think a lot of conservatives voting for Trump are doing so simply because there is no decent alternative; therefore, more do not really like him. A Trump party would destroy him and all his minions. The Republican label is the reason why many old folks and rednecks are voting for him...and the media coverage, because they certainly haven't examined this man.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Watching the GOP reaping the rewards of suckling at the diseased teat of the Tea Party would be funny if it wasn't for the fact a certified nutbag is in spitting distance of the white house.
In hindsight when both Trump and the GOP go down in flames, this'll be hilarious.

You should watch the British miniseries "The Amazing Mrs. Pritchard." It's about a woman who is the manager of a grocery store who runs as an Independent, but ends up becoming PM because she wins so many to her side who refuse to stand as Labour/Conservative/Lib Dem.

Sounds cool, I'll check that out. Carey Mulligan makes that decision easier.

He could threaten it, but there's literally no way for him to put an organization of that scale together in time for it to matter much. A third-party populist presidential run as a spoiler is one thing, that's another thing altogether.

Not to mention aren't most of the laws concerning who appears on ballots very preferential to the two party system?

He's done.

I don't disagree with you often but I have to here. Grassley could probably survive a sex scandal in Iowa.

At this point it seems like the RNC is actively trying to split the party. I can't think of another reason why they'd think people would take to Romney.
They have no plan. They're just trying anything that comes to mind. I'm calling it right now, if they do get their wish of a brokered convention, they won't actually have a plan in place to take advantage of it. They're that disorganized.

Not to mention aren't most of the laws concerning who appears on ballots very preferential to the two party system?

Yes. Both parties love the two party system as it is and have created laws that make it difficult to get on ballots if you're not part of them.

I think Trump couldn't be on the ballot in Ohio if he ran independent at this point, right?

I don't disagree with you often but I have to here. Grassley could probably survive a sex scandal in Iowa.

Even one involving diapers?

Yes. Both parties love the two party system as it is and have created laws that make it difficult to get on ballots if you're not part of them.

I think Trump couldn't be on the ballot in Ohio if he ran independent at this point, right?

A lot of those laws don't apply to the presidential election if I remember right. Not sure about Ohio specifically.

NeoXChaos

Even one involving diapers?

He's 82. Been working in elective office since he was 26. I don't in his advanced age with many grandkids see why he wants to keep working till almost 90. By that point he's well you know approaching.........................................

That goes for all of them like Reid, McConnell etc. They must want to be there for life. What makes someone want to be there till they die?

He's 82. Been working in elective office since he was 26. I don't in his advanced age with many grandkids see why he wants to keep working till almost 90. By that point he's well you know approaching.........................................

That goes for all of them like Reid, McConnell etc. They must want to be there for life. What makes someone want to be there till they die?

They work less than half the year. They get to sit around and speechify once in a while. They get a good pay. Might as well stay until the end.

I've spent the last 16 years convinced that the best possible thing for American politics is that the GOP just completely fucking burns to the ground in the hopes that something less odious rises out of it's ashes. I don't really expect that to happen, but...the cracks that we see right now are really exciting.

This is pretty much where I am. A conservative party can have a role to play in a democracy, even if I don't really support the principles. However, the current incarnation of the GOP is completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather they crash and burn and have to rebuild. What they build may be better or may be worse than what they have now, but since they're starting from "unacceptable" it's a risk I'd take.

-1x-1.jpg
Sensible chuckle.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-03/europe-is-horrified-of-trump-but-he-d-fit-right-in

sangreal

Reid is retiring

How long until Reince Priebus is replaced as Chairman of the RNC?

He'll just take his mask off and we'll all realize that it's really DWS. And then PEW PEW PEW, Hillary runs as both the GOP and Dem nominee.

And then she sets herself up as Queen for life. She over throws the Congress, and replaces it with a room full of email servers. Then, she creates the Supreme Court of The Obamas in which Michelle and Barack are the only two allowed to sit on it forever.

And gay marriages for everyone.

I think Virginia is also pretty difficult, but that's based on how hard it is for candidates to get listed for the primaries, not sure for the General.

That Romney speech was Through The Looking Glass type shit, holy hell.

Also, is there a better outcome for the Dems than the GOP stealing the nomination away from Trump and putting Romney in his place?

Oh my god, I don't think Adam would be ready for that many orgasms he'd have.

Or his mom!

https://twitter.com/twinksfortrump

Ya...I'm laughing like an idiot.

Meet Jessie: "Trump is great because he's not all PC. An Indian headdress is the perfect Pride outfit so suck it."

Mwahahahaha

Also, is there a better outcome for the Dems than the GOP stealing the nomination away from Trump and putting Romney in his place?

Or his mom!

Oh, god, the electoral college in that situation. OH MY GOD. Ughhh.

Raising money to pay down the national debt is so fucking dumb. I would hope the extra money would be put back into the economy. At least this plan would increase income inequality (although it would do so to a lesser degree if used to fucking reduce an imaginary number).

0% of ever happening though with this House.

Can we fast forward to go down on me? ;)

Even if Bernie got 60% of the vote in every state after March 15th, he would still lose.

Only if the superdelegates vote down a theoretical popular vote for Bernie; there are over 50% of pledged delegates up for grabs, after March 15, so if Bernie could maintain an average of 60%, that would equate to a 400+ (4051*0.5*0.2) delegate swing, overcoming your projected 333 lead.

Lots of things. I think those guys genuinely like their job and believe they are carrying on an important tradition/institution. There's also the feeling of importance and power that comes with being a noteworthy senator. And money/benefits obviously.

Grassley, Kerry, and other folks like that genuinely seem to enjoy helping people. They do a lot of stuff most people will never learn about; a lot of elected officials are very serious about the letters and pleas they receive from their state or district's citizens. Same applies to presidents.

Neo imagine if you had the ability to help multiple people in your state, help the businesses of your friends, travel the world, meet with presidents, live in DC (if that's your thing) for part of the year, make good money, and have countless lobbyists give you things. It's a pretty good gig, and most people would keep that job as long as possible. Being a senator is not for everyone...some people dislike it, like Obama. Or Rubio lol. But most seem to like it.

johnsmith

remember me
Raising money to pay down the national debt is so fucking dumb. I would hope the extra money would be put back into the economy. At least this plan would increase income inequality (although it would do so to a lesser degree if used to fucking reduce an imaginary number).

0% of ever happening though with this House.
From the article:
But much of those gains would likely be eliminated by spending proposals that Clinton has discussed on the campaign trail, such as debt relief for college graduates with student loans and expanded early childhood education.

Tarkus

Or his mom!
tumblr_luj7rg_Up_OX1qbgpplo1_500.gif

His mom?

Daniel B·;197504096 said:
Only if the superdelegates vote down a theoretical popular vote for Bernie; there are over 50% of pledged delegates up for grabs, after March 15, so if Bernie could maintain an average of 60%, that would equate to a 400+ (4051*0.5*0.2) delegate swing, overcoming your projected 333 lead.

No. Even if Bernie won 60% of the vote, he could still lose WITHOUT super delegates.

You can't do the math you did because states matter. If he gets 90% in Rhode Island and 45% in California and it comes to be Bernie got 60% overall, he'd be at a deficit. edit: to clarify, overall.

Have you been following his posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom