• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm seeing some people that I like and respect flirting with the "If not Bernie, then Drumpf" idea. It's not upsetting. Well, it is, but not like I'm angry or mad about it. More like...depressed. I guess. It makes me sad.
This whole cycle has made me sad: Bernie losing and the rise of Trump.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He's not going third party. Jesus you two.

Sanders straight-up said he would not do it because “I would not want to be responsible for electing some right-wing Republican president.”

I'm seeing some people that I like and respect flirting with the "If not Bernie, then Trump" idea. It's not upsetting. Well, it is, but not like I'm angry or mad about it. More like...depressed. I guess. It makes me sad.

An easy thing to say on March 3rd when you're not staring down an actual election with Trump in it.

This whole cycle has made me sad: Bernie losing and the rise of Trump.

I don't know, it just hadn't gotten to me until now. I was able to enjoy the rise of Trump because I knew it was the voice of a phenomenon that was always there, so it didn't make me more upset. But seeing progressives considering the idea of Donald Trump before Hillary Clinton just...I dunno.

It seems to be confusing to some people that any kind of serious primary will hurt the winner in the general. I'm not sure how they expect a primary to be conducted.

Yes, I am. They expect Sanders to have knelt before Clinton, kissed her boots and declared her bestest person ever and personally crowned her the nominee 4 seconds after announcing.

damisa

Sanders literally said he would not do it because “I would not want to be responsible for electing some right-wing Republican president.”

I can see him using the excuse that there's no difference between Hillary and a right-wing Republican. Some of his supporters act like this already.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It seems to be confusing to some people that any kind of serious primary will hurt the winner in the general. I'm not sure how they expect a primary to be conducted.

Yes, I am. They expect Sanders to have knelt before Clinton, kissed her boots and declared her bestest person ever and personally crowned her the nominee 4 seconds after announcing.

There's a serious primary and then there's doing a town hall on Fox News.

You don't think they're gonna fix this so he winds up spending the whole thing hitting Hillary below the belt?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Someone will be set aflame ala 1964, but there are no black delegates in the GOP anymore so it probably won't be hate crime at least.

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/705561833671925760

This is just amazing. Especially those who know about the 1964 period.
One of my favorite types of humor, Dark Humor.

Fox News is the perfect platform for Sanders to attack Obama and Clinton in prime time.

I will be surprised if he goes that route, as will many here. The exit and other polling shows that would be a losing idea.

There's a serious primary and then there's doing a town hall on Fox News.

You don't think they're gonna fix this so he winds up spending the whole thing hitting Hillary below the belt?

I think there's a fair chance they paint him as a Trump / Communist so they can set up their both sides / fair and balanced schtick for the general.

They've probably got notes for both actually and will pick one to go with depending on how willing he is to slug Clinton in the first 10 minutes or so.

This is just amazing. Especially those who know about the 1964 period.
One of my favorite types of humor, Dark Humor.

I will be surprised if he goes that route, as will many here. The exit and other polling shows that would be a losing idea.

Meh, as others have noted, he's not going to win the primary short of Clinton getting indicted and he apparently has no friends in the Senate or the DNC so what's he got to lose ? :

Eh, he didn't seem to mind attacking Obama in Detroit about job losses.

I'm not even sure why that's problematic. People are tying themselves in knots to defend anything that Obama or Clinton are associated with, even if they probably weren't great ideas. Which is stupid. Even if you generally agree with people and policies that doesn't mean their bad moves are above criticism.

I generally agree with PoliGAF on like 90% of things but that doesn't mean I can't think that some of their positions are dangerous/unwise.

I'm not even sure why that's problematic. People are tying themselves in knots to defend anything that Obama or Clinton are associated with, even if they probably weren't great ideas. Which is stupid. Even if you generally agree with people and policies that doesn't mean their bad moves are above criticism.
I don't consider trade agreements to be bad moves.

The idea that voting against every trade agreement ever is somehow worthy of plaudits is nonsense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fox has completely turned on Rubio.

I don't consider trade agreements to be bad moves.

The idea that voting against every trade agreement ever is somehow worthy of plaudits is nonsense.

I consider the modern trade agreement aka a long corporate wish list with some quibbles about the exact levels of tariffs on some specific items, to be rather imperfect, even if I consider free trade a generally good thing.

Admittedly , I also expect Americans to care less about that, because you're usually the only country that actually benefits from those corporate wishlists (you at least get some tax benefits out of it).

Overlee

Eh, he didn't seem to mind attacking Obama in Detroit about job losses.

But I'm going to assume this is his dumb campaign staff's doing.

Is it dumb to question a system that socializes the losses of the rich while privatizing the losses for the many? Wealth distribution is kind of his whole platform. The guberment (Obama/Clinton) have been selling out the American workers for years. Sanders platform is about questioning the systems we have in place, it doesn't end at the DNC convention.

Agreed but part of the problem is that our trade agreements have a ton more in them than just trade.
That's a generally unrelated issue to why people like Trump and Sanders are able to capitalize on anti-trade sentiment.

The crux of it is "they took our jobs" not biologics intellectual property protections are too stringent or ISDA provisions too broad.

I'm not sure what exactly the proposed remedy is? Reverse things like NAFTA and China's integration with the global economy?

Reduction of trade barriers has been an essential tool in reducing global abject poverty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom