• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

noshten

Politico, go home you're drunk

CX-qV6nWsAA66BW.png:large

Stunning how they want to link Trump and Sanders at the hip with such insinuations lol

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...p-bernie-sanders-2016-changing-america-213503

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Guys enough with the R rated crap please.

Jeb's SuperPAC still has $24 million to spend on something.

Maybe he'll start his own Presidency, with hookers and blackjack.

In fact, forget the blackjack and the Presidency.

I thought they were broke?

Re: Cruz/Rubio, I think Cruz has to worry about Rubio in the future. If Trump gets the nomination this year, then they will both be running again in 2020. If Rubio gets embarrassed in Florida, he's probably done for a while.

Cheebo

Banned
Elaborate.

Bernie bros is a term with a deliberate agenda. It's sad seeing it tossed around gaf so often.
It does have a deliberate agenda but can anyone deny is accurate? Bernie Bros refer to the sexist/racist angry white male Bernie supporters which you find all over Reddit. Bernie Bros are a real thing.

Gruco

Banned
bIvIK9gl.jpg

You cannot, as a Republican, look at these maps and think "Yes, Trump is a great idea."

You just can't. This map says if you're lucky, you get Iowa, New Hampshire, and maybe Maine.

Useful context for Donald "I'm going to compete in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Michigan" Trump.

How do people think Trump can win? He beat Gallup's record for the most unpopular presidential candidate in February, after already beating the record in January. He has a net approval of -63% among Hispanics, more than twice as bad as Romney who already lost Hispanics in a landslide.

And now Obama's approval rating is rising, the economy is still in good shape, and gas prices are low. Every so often I start to worry because the 'Trump is electable' delusion infects my head but I always wise up after ten minutes or so of thought.

Rubenov

How do people think Trump can win? He beat Gallup's record for the most unpopular presidential candidate in February, after already beating the record in January. He has a net approval of -63% among Hispanics, more than twice as bad as Romney who already lost Hispanics in a landslide.

And now Obama's approval rating is rising, the economy is still in good shape, and gas prices are low. Every so often I start to worry because the 'Trump is electable' delusion infects my head but I always wise up after ten minutes or so of thought.

You're right, but keep in mind it's still early and Republicans are bitterly divided right now.

If Trump wins the nomination he will start gaining favorability points, although I don't think it will be enough.

Working class whites! Primary turnout! The countries demographics turning back to 1984 with no one noticing! Completely focusing on individual statements and ignoring scary "data"!

Makai

I have worse

Closed contests pose test for Trump

The four Republican contests Saturday night pose a test for Donald Drumpf: How will he fare in closed caucus and primaries, when only previously registered Republicans can vote? One of Drumpf’s strengths in so far has been his ability to turn out voters who wouldn’t usually show up in a Republican primary. He won’t be able to count on that today. Louisiana, Kansas, and Kentucky — and Maine, to some extent — only allow previously registered Republicans to vote.

He already won a bunch of closed primaries!

Oltsu

Banned
It does have a deliberate agenda but can anyone deny is accurate? Bernie Bros refer to the sexist/racist angry white male Bernie supporters which you find all over Reddit. Bernie Bros are a real thing.

Nah, the usage of the term itself is sexist and racist crap.

No one has ever actually proved that it's a real thing statistically. It ignores the actual diverse group of people who support bernie. And 99.5% of the time it's used for blatant agenda pushing.

It's also exactly the kind of ad-hominem attack on race and gender that will end up making sure that instead of staying on the left young white males will gravitate more to the right because at least then they don't have to hear "white male" used as a counter argument against their points.

It's just a crappy term and a tactic all around. Social progressives of all people should see this instantly if they're in any way trying to be objective and impartial.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Bernie bros are a gross generalization. Bernie has the majority of young females. It's a generalization with an agenda, just like any stereotype. Can you deny that there are bad people in any group?

Think of using such a term for any other group. Thugs. Islamic Terrorists. New york liberal. Super predators. These are all racially loaded words with an agenda. It's a disgusting tactic and people using it know why they are doing it.

People brought up tyt as an example of "bernie broing". Criticize tyt on substance. On sexism? Complete bullshit

Y2Kev

No one has ever actually proved that it's a real thing statistically. It ignores the actual diverse group of people who support bernie. And 99.5% of the time it's used for blatant agenda pushing.

It's also exactly the kind of ad-hominem attack on race and gender that will end up making sure that instead of staying on the left young white males will gravitate more to the right because at least then they don't have to hear "white male" used as a counter argument against their points.

It's just a crappy term and a tactic all around. Social progressives of all people should see this instantly if they're in any way trying to be objective and impartial.

What do you mean, "real thing" statistically? You can observe it empirically.

Who claims that "BernieBro" represents anywhere near a meaningful portion of Bernie supporters?

edit: Both of the responses above me are "gross" strawmen. I have not seen BernieBro used to dismiss Bernie's movement by anyone since Gloria Steinem (ugh). BernieBro is used to describe the roving band of internet vigilantes that comes out and spews hate speech on Russell Simmons' Instagram account. This is an observable, real phenomenon. Anyone suggesting otherwise is crazy, as is anyone who pretends that is all Bernie supporters.

You're right, but keep in mind it's still early and Republicans are bitterly divided right now.

If Trump wins the nomination he will start gaining favorability points, although I don't think it will be enough.
Those would come from Republican voters though... I don't buy the argument that Trump will be able to pivot to the center come election time. If Romney had said half the things Trump has said he would have never been able to etchasketch his way out of the primary.

Those Hispanic numbers for example certainly aren't going to improve significantly.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Who claims that "BernieBro" represents anywhere near a meaningful portion of Bernie supporters?

As a mod it should be completely obvious how often this term gets thrown around to describe bernie supporters on this board.

The fact that you are defending this shit is depressing.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is not an argument. This is a victim complex.

Huh? Victim complex? I dont even identify as a bernie supporter. Im just calling it like i see it.

I have not once seen Bernie Bro used on this thread to attack a specific instance of sexism. I have however seen it plenty to attack bernie supporters in general. Are you disagreeing with me here?

When i see the term i call it out. It reminds me of the fanboy nicknames i used to see in the GameSpot forums 10 years ago. I thought NeoGAF was above such bs.

Even if it's a phenomenon that exists, much like any bad group in any larger group, the fact that the term has a deliberate agenda is disgusting in itself.

Y2Kev

Huh? Victim complex? I dont even identify as a bernie supporter. Im just calling it like i see it.

I have not once seen Bernie Bro used on this thread to attack a specific instance of sexism. I have however seen it plenty to attack bernie supporters in general. Are you disagreeing with me here?

When i see the term i call it out. It reminds me of the fanboy nicknames i used to see in the GameSpot forums 10 years ago. I thought NeoGAF was above such bs.

Even if it's a phenomenon that exists, much like any bad group in any larger group, the fact that the term has a deliberate agenda is disgusting in itself.

Obviously I disagree with you (I even provided an example of real human beings behaving badly in the name of supporting a political cause). This is demonstrably for you an issue of terminology; you don't want a group of people being labeled as "BernieBros" because you claim it has an agenda. I'm sorry to tell you that this is real. I've already suggested anyone who claims all supporters are BernieBros is crazy. You've unfortunately conflated what I feel is a very real problem with anonymous straight white men on the internet with people who want to dismiss Bernie and his supporters.

I'm not impressed by you attempting to drag NeoGAF and me through the mud.

I wouldn't have a problem with HillaryBros either. I don't think anyone cares enough about her to, for example, post on Tulsi Gabbard's facebook though. If someone had, I would call them a HillaryBro, a HillaryGirl, or whatever have you. My agenda is to identify and shame obvious hate speech on the internet, which is why I have no problem naming names.

NeoXChaos

thread assignment

Super Tuesday-b-dubs
Super Tuesday Part 2- ivysaur12

*After Super Tuesday 2 PoliGAF handles the rest of the primaries.

*Veepstakes is going to be in PoliGAF

2016 Republican National Convention-b-dubs
2016 Democratic National Convention- NeoXChaos

1st Presidential Debate-b-dubs
Vice Presidential Debate-Ebay Huckster
2nd Presidential Debate-kingkitty
3rd Presidential Debate-Holmes

General Election 2016-Aaron Strife

Republican Debates
12 - March 10 CNN - Makai
13 -March 23 Makai

Democratic Debates
7 March 6-TBD
8 March 9 Univision/Washington Post TBD
9 April-kingkitty
10 May-TBD

This ad was largely considered to be the most effective ad of Obama's 2012 campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3mMj0AZZk

That kind of stuff is the tip of the iceberg for Trump.
Yup. Amazing ad.

Could be that Trump is much more charismatic than Romney and might be able to weather this kind of stuff better, but his expressed policies and ideas make him way less electable. He can already pretty much write off winning Nevada, Colorado, Virginia and Florida for example (cue OT: "but Florida is old white retirees he'll win them lol!" as if old white retirees haven't been safely in the GOP's column for years)

I'm really far more excited about downballot races at this point anyway. Winning McCain, Grassley, Blunt and Burr's Senate seats? Oh god, yes please. My dream scenario is we get to 58 somehow (Indiana and Arkansas would do it, although AR would be a real stretch) and Collins/Murkowski caucus with Democrats. Then Schumer gets rid of the filibuster anyway.

Staying on the left? Are young white males or even young whites in general particularly left-leaning to begin with?

I remember asking something similar a few months ago. Are Millenials as a whole only left leaning because of their racial diversity?

Oltsu

Banned

edit: Both of the responses above me are "gross" strawmen. I have not seen BernieBro used to dismiss Bernie's movement by anyone since Gloria Steinem (ugh). BernieBro is used to describe the roving band of internet vigilantes that comes out and spews hate speech on Russell Simmons' Instagram account. This is an observable, real phenomenon. Anyone suggesting otherwise is crazy, as is anyone who pretends that is all Bernie supporters.

With statistically real thing I was referring to no one having done any actual polling or research on whether the kind of "bro" behavior is actually statistically any more prevalent in Bernie's supporters of demographic X. Because Bernie having the most support online doesn't actually mean that his supporters are statistically more likely to engage in this sort of behavior.

And I see the term being used constantly pretty much everywhere (except the places that are filled with bernie supporters obviously) online to generalize bernie supporters. Very rarely to actually address individual cases of people acting like douchebags. The term has even started getting right wing use, just see r/The_Donald, constant use of "berniebro".

I'm not even a bernie supporter, he's too left for me personally (not that I can even vote ofc, I'm not american), but the usage of this term definitely isn't limited to calling out crappy behavior of individuals. Calling out individuals with it isn't something that I'd really oppose but it's still pretty weird. Just call them out as individuals and say they're racist or sexist or something.

Of course experiences will differ between people but I can't take the term seriously at all personally.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Obviously I disagree with you (I even provided an example of real human beings behaving badly in the name of supporting a political cause). This is demonstrably for you an issue of terminology; you don't want a group of people being labeled as "BernieBros" because you claim it has an agenda. I'm sorry to tell you that this is real. I've already suggested anyone who claims all supporters are BernieBros is crazy. You've unfortunately conflated what I feel is a very real problem with anonymous straight white men on the internet with people who want to dismiss Bernie and his supporters.

I wouldn't have a problem with HillaryBros either. I don't think anyone cares enough about her to, for example, post on Tulsi Gabbard's facebook though. If someone had, I would call them a HillaryBro, a HillaryGirl, or whatever have you. My agenda is to identify and shame obvious hate speech on the internet, which is why I have no problem naming names.

Can I then report to you instances when I see Bernie bros used to describe Bernie fans in general on this board?

As you said, the term has an agenda to identify and shame hate speech so it should be reserved for it right?

Nevermind that it has the secondary (and i would argue intended!) Goal of smearing Bernie himself in the process.

Your whole Hillary bro side step is hilariously dishonest but whatever. I feel we have made our points and people can judge them fairly.

Staying on the left? Are young white males or even young whites in general particularly left-leaning to begin with?

I remember asking something similar a few months ago. Are Millenials as a whole only left leaning because of their racial diversity?

Young white males are pretty atheist so that makes it hard for them to go to a party where Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are constantly talking about being spoken to by God.

The same dynamic helps explain the declines in traditional measures of religious belief and practice. Millennials – especially the youngest Millennials, who have entered adulthood since the first Landscape Study was conducted – are far less religious than their elders. For example, only 27% of Millennials say they attend religious services on a weekly basis, compared with 51% of adults in the Silent generation. Four-in-ten of the youngest Millennials say they pray every day, compared with six-in-ten Baby Boomers and two-thirds of members of the Silent generation. Only about half of Millennials say they believe in God with absolute certainty, compared with seven-in-ten Americans in the Silent and Baby Boom cohorts. And only about four-in-ten Millennials say religion is very important in their lives, compared with more than half in the older generational cohorts.

PF-2015-11-03_RLS_II-02.png

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/u-s-public-becoming-less-religious/

Young people are also less interested in Democracy than older people so the GOP's shift away from hardcore religious shit to nationalism probably will help them later on in some respects (among white people... people of color probably not going to be cool with a white nationalist party).

Links suggesting that young people are open to nationalist, less democratic societies:

Figure_4_.0.png

Figure_3_.0.png

http://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2015/12/18/9360663/is-democracy-in-trouble

Basically, the Trump strategy of white nationalism is pretty smart when it comes to keeping white voters with the GOP in the future. It's just that focusing on maintaining the portion of white voters over everything else is a terrible strategy.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Young white males are pretty atheist so that makes it hard for them to go to a party where Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are constantly talking about being spoken to by God.

PF-2015-11-03_RLS_II-02.png

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/u-s-public-becoming-less-religious/

Young people are also less interested in Democracy than older people so the GOP's shift away from hardcore religious shit to nationalism probably will help them later on in some respects (among white people... people of color probably not going to be cool with a white nationalist party).

Links suggesting that young people are open to nationalist, less democratic societies:

Figure_4_.0.png

Figure_3_.0.png

http://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2015/12/18/9360663/is-democracy-in-trouble

Basically, the Trump strategy of white nationalism is pretty smart when it comes to keeping white voters with the GOP in the future. It's just that focusing on maintaining the portion of white voters over everything else is a terrible strategy.

Wow. This authoritarian shift is both enlightening and depressing. Hadn't seen this before.

Gruco

Banned
Yup. Amazing ad.

Could be that Trump is much more charismatic than Romney and might be able to weather this kind of stuff better, but his expressed policies and ideas make him way less electable. He can already pretty much write off winning Nevada, Colorado, Virginia and Florida for example (cue OT: "but Florida is old white retirees he'll win them lol!" as if old white retirees haven't been safely in the GOP's column for years)

The anti trump ads write themselves. They will hit up every issue imaginable. War crimes, flip flopping, racism. His flip flopping could honestly be used to simultaneously goose turnout on the left and suppress turnout on the right. That's how ridiculous he is.

Really ready to move on to general mode. Bernie fans are still having some trouble adjusting and are stuck with some serious Karl Rove math. Hoping that their enthusiasm will drop a little bit when Hillary is up 300 delegates on the 15th and Bernie needs to hit 70% nationally in order to be viable.
Bernie enthusiasm will never drop

Y2Kev

With statistically real thing I was referring to no one having done any actual polling or research on whether the kind of "bro" behavior is actually statistically any more prevalent in Bernie's supporters of demographic X. Because Bernie having the most support online doesn't actually mean that his supporters are statistically more likely to engage in this sort of behavior.

I think that's true; the concentration of millennials supporting him obviously means there might be skewed perceptions. I mean, obviously there are "problems" that are routinely discussed in other "fanbases"; there's a thread on the absolutely disgusting behavior of Trump rally attendees on the front page of the OT. I agree with you.

And I see the term being used constantly pretty much everywhere (except the places that are filled with bernie supporters obviously) online to generalize bernie supporters. Very rarely to actually address individual cases of people acting like douchebags. The term has even started getting right wing use, just see r/The_Donald, constant use of "berniebro".

I don't read Reddit, mercifully, so I don't see it on sites like that. But I do believe you! At some point people might just start using it because it's colloquialism and even cutesy-sounding. I'd read pretty carefully any piece that used BernieBro to dismiss Bernie, sure.

I'm not even a bernie supporter, he's too left for me personally (not that I can even vote ofc, I'm not american), but the usage of this term definitely isn't limited to calling out crappy behavior of individuals. Calling out individuals with it isn't something that I'd really oppose but it's still pretty weird. Just call them out as individuals and say they're racist or sexist or something.

Of course experiences will differ between people but I can't take the term seriously at all personally.

That's fine. I agree.

Can I then report to you instances when I see Bernie bros used to describe Bernie fans in general on this board?

As you said, the term has an agenda to identify and shame hate speech so it should be reserved for it right?

Nevermind that it has the secondary (and i would argue intended!) Goal of smearing Bernie himself in the process.

Your whole Hillary bro side step is hilariously dishonest but whatever. I feel we have made our points and people can judge them fairly.

I don't think you are really arguing in good faith anymore. Please feel free to submit posts you find objectionable.

NeoXChaos

The anti trump ads write themselves. They will hit up every issue imaginable. War crimes, flip flopping, racism. His flip flopping could honestly be used to simultaneously goose turnout on the left and suppress turnout on the right. That's how ridiculous he is.

Really ready to move on to general mode. Bernie fans are still having some trouble adjusting and are stuck with some serious Karl Rove math. Hoping that their enthusiasm will drop a little bit when Hillary is up 300 delegates on the 15th and Bernie needs to hit 70% nationally in order to be viable.
Bernie enthusiasm will never drop

We get MI polls tomorrow, a debate and townhall before tuesday. It won't change what's going to be another rough night for Bernie Sanders.

Rubenov

I just want my Hillary shares to recover on Predictit. Never thought I would see so many people pinning their hopes and bank accounts on an indictment.

boiled goose

good with gravy
That's fine. I agree.

I don't think you are really arguing in good faith anymore. Please feel free to submit posts you find objectionable.

Glad you agreed with that poster. That was entirely my point.

Attack ideas. Dont attack back with a term that has the deliberate agenda of smearing people beyond those saying stupid shit.

Really? REALLY?!

We all know the etymological foundation of the word, but let's not pretend that words are always used as originally intended. 'Bernie bro' has evolved into a generalization of Bernie supporters, especially those who criticize Hillary Clinton. There is also empirical evidence for this.

Just because there are multiple uses of the word, it doesn't mean that all of those uses are mutually exclusive, or that only one use of the word is absolute.

Y2Kev

Really? REALLY?!

We all know the etymological foundation of the word, but let's not pretend that words are always used as originally intended. 'Bernie bro' has evolved into a generalization of Bernie supporters, especially those who criticize Hillary Clinton. There is also empirical evidence for this.

Just because there are multiple uses of the word, it doesn't mean that all of those uses are mutually exclusive, or that only one use of the word is absolute.

Who is pretending? I don't even understand what you are complaining about. That it gets used improperly per your definition in places on Earth at points in time? I agree with that.

edit: Do I need to stipulate I'm talking about on the board?

A Tarrance Group poll in Florida — conducted for the anti-Trump group Our Principles PAC — finds Donald Trump leading with 35%, followed by Marco Rubio at 30%, Ted Cruz at 16%, John Kasich at 9% and Ben Carson at 5%.

Noooooooo

kirblar

#notallberniebros

no. They are doing OH. I assume it will be out on Monday.
Oh okay. Thank you. I think Ohio is Bernie's best chance at a delegate rich States. Problem is I can't see him being able to do better than a delegate split, assuming everything goes his way. Interestingly, I haven't seen a single Bernie ad on TV here. I'm in the Cleveland media market where a vast majority are Democrats. Of course, there is a large AA voting block here, so maybe he's focusing more on college towns like Columbus.

royalan

I have personally never called someone a Bernie Bro as of yet as I recall. Seems unnecessary.

However, people getting upset over it are stupid.

How I feel.

I've only seen "BernieBro" used to describe the more irrational sect of Bernie's supporters.. The problem is, as this race goes on, and Bernie's chances at the nomination go from fair to "slim to none", that irrational sect grows. So you see the term more.

A Tarrance Group poll in Florida — conducted for the anti-Trump group Our Principles PAC — finds Donald Trump leading with 35%, followed by Marco Rubio at 30%, Ted Cruz at 16%, John Kasich at 9% and Ben Carson at 5%.

Noooooooo

Yeah, I'm really freaked out that an anti-Trump PAC has Trump up by 5 points.

If they couldn't even rig a poll where Trump is losing, I feel pretty good about Trump's odds in Florida.

NeoXChaos

Oh okay. Thank you. I think Ohio is Bernie's best chance at a delegate rich States. Problem is I can't see him being able to do better than a delegate split, assuming everything goes his way. Interestingly, I haven't seen a single Bernie ad on TV here. I'm in the Cleveland media market where a vast majority are Democrats. Of course, there is a large AA voting block here, so maybe he's focusing more on college towns like Columbus.

All the states that vote that day have a slice of the AA vote. Adam you don't have to sugar coat his chances. He's doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom