• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why? Proportional states that don't heavily favor the winner in closed caucuses that favor Cruz, they don't matter. No one is getting a significant delegate advantage out of this.

Media but I think people are freaking out. I think he just has to win Louisiana.

FnordChan

These seemingly dissonant positions aren't all that strange from a Christian perspective. A former heathen coming into the flock is seen as a lot more forgivable than someone from within the flock leaving it, or being seen as using their position as a religious man of stature to achieve immoral ends.

It's why Trump's perception as previously not a very religious man actually helps him here. Of course, a lot of Christians can see that he's probably lying and trying to get ahead with the religious right. But there are a lot of Christians out there who see (or want to see) his recent faith-based policy stances as genuine. It is the Christian way.

This is also why the "dishonest" attacks against Cruz are so effective, because he set himself up to be trusTed man of God. The standard is higher. Every move he makes that shows otherwise is going to hurt him with that base. Same sentiment with Mitt.

I suppose anyone, Christian or otherwise, evangelical or otherwise, can do a fine job of rationalizing basically anything if they want to badly enough, so I'm certainly not surprised by any of this. Amused, yes - surprised, no. You make a good point about how it's easier for Trump to go from shameless heathen to "Aw, he's flubbing attempts to quote the bible, but his sincerity is adorable!" than it is for Ted Cruz to avoid being perceived as failing to live up to the standards he's bragged about for himself. Not that I have any sympathy for Ted for, well, anything at all, really.

Your description of the Christian (or, at least, evangelical) perspective here is pretty interesting compared to the standard mainstream description of evangelicals as a voting bloc that presumably is concerned with the moral standing of their chosen candidates. Here's hoping we get something more nuanced if Trump is the nominee and is seen to be grabbing the evangelical vote with both of his tiny, grubby hands and the pundits have to find something to say about it besides, "Well, who knows what those people think, they're pretty crazy, right?"

FnordChan

Grief.exe

Ted Cruz has raised a surprising amount of money from individuals. The majority does seem to come from large donators pumping the maximum allowable into the campaign, but that would be the same for Hillary as well (77% of individual contributions).

• Individual Contributions: $54,339,135
  • Small Individual Contributions: $22,893,560 (42%)
  • Large Individual Contributions: $31,445,577 (58%)

(Darker bar represents outside money; lighter bar represents candidate committee money)

v5nsDEc.png

lol Jeb

dnAe4Vv.png

Y2Kev

I feel like he has the Deep South on LOCK.

I need him to also win just one more though. At the very least a #LittleMarco shut out.

Little Marco is going to win Puerto Rico on Sunday though :(

I CANT BELIEVE THERE IS ANOTHERRRRR DEBATE

royalan

So who's seen as being the easiest to beat in November with Hillary as the nominee?

I want to say Trump, the numbers are there. But he's been so unpredictable so far, it's hard to not imagine him weaseling his way out of mathematical probability somehow. Probably the most afraid of him now, actually.

Cruz, did seem like a threat at first. But he's shot himself in the foot by stubbornly refusing to pivot closer to the middle in any sort of way. I see no way a hardcore right candidate who wants to carpet bomb middle east territories and put boots on the ground, limit women's rights, repeal gay marriage, and eats boogers wins an general election in 2016 and onward.

Rubio...lol

Kasich, maybe. He's certainly the Jinkx Monsoon of the Right, but he has no chance.

So who's seen as being the easiest to beat in November with Hillary as the nominee?

I want to say Trump, the numbers are there. But he's been so unpredictable so far, it's hard to not imagine him weaseling his way out of mathematical probability somehow. Probably the most afraid of him now, actually.

Cruz, did seem like a threat at first. But he's shot himself in the foot by stubbornly refusing to pivot closet to the middle in any sort of way. I see no way a hardcore right candidate who wants to carpet bomb middle east territories and put boots on the ground, limit women's rights, repeal gay marriage, and eats boogers wins an general election in 2016 and onward.

Rubio...lol

Kasich, maybe. He's certainly the Jinkx Monsoon of the Right, but he has no chance.

Cruz is the scariest. He flat out lies and no one calls him out on it except Trump. Media would let him get away with so much bullshit in the general.

Cruz, did seem like a threat at first. But he's shot himself in the foot by stubbornly refusing to pivot closet to the middle in any sort of way. I see no way a hardcore right candidate who wants to carpet bomb middle east territories and put boots on the ground, limit women's rights, repeal gay marriage, and eats boogers wins an general election in 2016 and onward.

Rubio...lol

The fact that you were able to compare Kasich to Jinkx Monsoon makes you an awesome person. You win one internet.

Cruz, did seem like a threat at first. But he's shot himself in the foot by stubbornly refusing to pivot closer to the middle in any sort of way. I see no way a hardcore right candidate who wants to carpet bomb middle east territories and put boots on the ground, limit women's rights, repeal gay marriage, and eats boogers wins an general election in 2016 and onward.

Rubio...lol

Cruz can't pivot to the middle, he's an ideological candidate much like Bernie.

Grief.exe

Ted Cruz
  • Individual Contributions: $54,339,135
  • Small Individual Contributions: $22,893,560 (42%)
  • Large Individual Contributions: $31,445,577 (58%)

Hillary Clinton
  • Individual Contributions: $122,095,628
  • - Small Individual Contributions: $21,739,942 (17%)
  • - Large Individual Contributions: $100,355,684 (77%)

Bernie Sanders
  • Individual Contributions: $94,763,672
  • - Small Individual Contributions: $67,393,013 (70%)
  • - Large Individual Contributions:$27,370,658 (28%)

Donald Trump
  • Individual Contributions: $7,497,985
  • - Small Individual Contributions: $1,870,992 (7%)
  • - Large Individual Contributions: $5,626,992 (22%)
  • Candidate self-financing $17,784,377 (70%)

Little Marco
  • Individual Contributions: $33,523,071
  • - Small Individual Contributions: $6,493,284 (19%)
  • - Large Individual Contributions: $27,029,786 (78%)

(Darker bar represents outside money; lighter bar represents candidate committee money)

v5nsDEc.png

benjipwns

Banned
Is it wrong to assume mississippi has been under republican control for a long time? If jobs are so badly needed in 'ssippi, then all trump could do to ameliorate that is lower taxes further, which, assuming gop control, did nothing to prevent this from developing, or hope for some sort of federal funding, which would be more likely to occur under clinton.
But whatever trumps a businesssman he probably farts jobs. Old people fucking love the businessman angle
Define "long time."

The Governor has been a Republican for 24 of the last 28 years. The State Senate has been Republican for eight of the last eleven years. The State House has been Republican for the last four years.

From 1877-1991 the Governor was Democratic. From 1877-2006, the State Senate was Democratic and again 2008-2010. From 1877-2011, the State House was Democratic.

In 1987 there were 49 Democratic Senators and 3 Republicans. And 116 Democratic House members and 6 Republicans. From 1888 to 1971 there was only one Republican Senator. From 1904 to 1964 there were no Republicans in the House.

The House Delegation had one Republican from 1877-1973. Democrats held control of it until 2010 except for 1997-1998. Trent Lott, Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker are the only three Republicans ever elected by the state to the Senate.

Rubio from 28:30 onward is pretty much the reason why the GOP is a failed party.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?405993-1/marco-rubio-remarks-cpac-2016

Rubio in the space of three minutes:

"I will never force the military to violate the rules of war or their moral code."
"We will bring terrorists to Gitmo and torture them until they give up all information if I'm president."
"I am a strong Christian and that guides everything I do."

This guy is one of the intellectual leaders of "movement conservativism" and he is completely ideologically incoherent. There's nothing here.

benjipwns

Banned
The Mississippi House went from 67 Democrats and 55 Republicans in 2011 to 74 Republicans and 48 Democrats this year. Ouch.

Y2Kev

1) Kasich would be the most effective vs. Hillary
2) Rubio would be the second most effective
3) I think you can't give it to Kasich even at a contested convention because he would be by far the least popular candidate
4) This is a good thing because Kasich/Rubio is scary
5) Hillary is being indicted so it doesn't matter

I figured you'd appreciate it.

I tried to squeeze in a Trump as Phi Phi O'Hara reference, but I couldn't make it work.
Two orange idiots who should get punched in the face is enough of a connection for me. :p although, girl has grown on me with her 365 Days of Drag....which is so Party City.

CCS

Banned
Rubio from 28:30 onward is pretty much the reason why the GOP is a failed party.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?405993-1/marco-rubio-remarks-cpac-2016

Rubio in the space of three minutes:

"I will never force the military to violate the rules of war or their moral code."
"We will bring terrorists to Gitmo and torture them until they give up all information if I'm president."
"I am a strong Christian and that guides everything I do."

This guy is one of the intellectual leaders of "movement conservativism" and he is completely ideologically incoherent. There's nothing here.

This man is as Christian as a spade.

Grief.exe

The Mississippi House went from 67 Democrats and 55 Republicans in 2011 to 74 Republicans and 48 Democrats this year. Ouch.

The power of Voter ID laws and Democrats not showing up to midterm elections.

1) Kasich would be the most effective vs. Hillary
2) Rubio would be the second most effective
3) I think you can't give it to Kasich even at a contested convention because he would be by far the least popular candidate
4) This is a good thing because Kasich/Rubio is scary
5) Hillary is being indicted so it doesn't matter

Currently the RNC requires a nominee to win the majority of delegates in 8 states, which means Rubio and Kasich might not even meet minimum requirements.

This man is as Christian as a spade.

I don't care that Rubio has four or five religions. You wonder what makes a man do that, though.

https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/696175149423452160

(This Twitter account is amazing at figuring out what dog whistles Nixon would use against various candidates).

Woah, missed this story:

Florida Senator Marco Rubio appeared to chuckle at a supporter’s suggestion Tuesday that Hillary Clinton should be waterboarded at a campaign rally in South Carolina.

http://time.com/4226872/marco-rubio...ign=Feed:+time/topstories+(TIME:+Top+Stories)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Rubio...lol

I can see Rubio or Kasich making the moderates think both sides are the same and voting republican for any tiny dumb reason you can think of, as young liberals stay home.

Trump is clearly unpredictable, so it seems like there is maybe some small chance he drastically changes the math in any number of ways and generally out-campaigns Hillary.

I just can't see any scenario whatsoever where Cruz is something to be afraid of. The only argument is that he might help get deep red conservatives turn out more, but I'm pretty sure their turnout is extremely high as it is no matter who the candidate is, just thanks to their hatred and fear of Democrats. The only path to victory for him is Democrats imploding for whatever reason, but that's true of all candidates.

Currently the RNC requires a nominee to win the majority of delegates in 8 states, which means Rubio and Kasich might not even meet minimum requirements.

That's a meaningless requirement, they'll change it in July just liked they changed it to the current rule to block Ron Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom