• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
Actually, this is kind of a funny point. Does Bernie really want European social democracy? But....that means gigantic subsidies for airplanes, which are made by corporations....

At this point Bernie's head explodes, or he just reboots and starts talking about the billionaires on wall street.

Bernie, Chinese free trade has helped increased Chinese incomes 22x over, but sure, real fucking bad.

I'm always torn on attributing that to free trade because, well, india has it too, and it has about double the percentage of poor people living under 1.25 dollars a day compared to it. The answer seems to be... not so simplistic.

I'm not an impartial observer, but Bernie is being a total ass tonight. Even my Berniebro texted me and was like "He's being kinda a dick."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This just shows again how the GOP is all talk and DEMs are all action.

GOP talks about dicks, DEMs are dicks.

Tamanon

Banned
Bernie probably needs to reel back on the whole "all big corporations are evil" schtick. There are so many giant corporations that employ most of the nation, and aren't glaringly evil.

how is he against free trade and ex-im bank?

It's so unnecessarily to paint Boeing and ex-im bank as negative, in my opinion. It is true that they are a mega-corporation, but they also employ thousands and thousands in the US, still in manufacturing (for now).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That series of attacks on Democrats has me worried about him running as a 3rd party.
That's just unheard of in a primary.

Tamanon

Banned
how is he against free trade and ex-im bank?

It's so unnecessarily to paint Boeing and ex-im bank as negative, in my opinion. It is true that they are a mega-corporation, but they also employ thousands and thousands in the US, still in manufacturing (for now).

I assume now he's going to talk about how we shouldn't support the auto industry. That's a big corporation, right?

Diablos

What the fuck Bernie. You've been running your mouth incessantly. Maybe stop reiterating the same shit and your points will get across more efficiently

Cerium

Had the debate on while I fried some pork cutlets.

Bernie is trying to be aggressive but it's just coming off as kind of rude and desperate.

Hillary looks "likable enough."

I hope her team prepares her well for Trump though. How exactly does one respond to "You helped your husband rape women"?

Diablos

Bernie what the hell. Hillary wasn't acting like she's the only person who cares about Sandy Hook. Holy shit what an asshole

Effect

So the general consensus is that Sanders is being an asshole tonight to the point even Sanders supporters are noticing it and not liking it?

Gruco

Banned
How do people feel about the sort of attribution that goes on where Hillary essentially has ownership of everything that happens on during Bill's presidency? My instinct is to get really pissed off about it. She wasn't actually in office and she doesn't make sense to assume that she automatically inherits everything that happens then. Like, the assumption is essentially that she wanted everything that Bill did or something.

On the other hand....her campaign in 2008 was fairly explicitly based on her experience in the white house.

On the other. She's not actually running the 2008 campaign anymore. The 90s were a long time ago. A senator winning 2 terms, serving 8 years, and a 4 yr secstate is a strong resume.

The whole thing is super weird to me. I guess I can understand the attribution, but it still seems wrong.

So I voted today here in Maine. 3 1/2 hours waiting in line (CRAZY turnout here in Portland!), then 1 1/2 more hours waiting because I decided to stay for the actual caucus instead of just doing it as an absentee ballot, then finally the caucus. I got there at one and finally left at seven... that's a long time to vote. We need to get rid of caucuses, they're absolutely terrible, this much waiting is unacceptable. It was all broken up into different rooms by district and precinct, and in mine only 13 people actually stuck around for the actual caucus, versus several hundred who left absentee ballots.

Now, this precinct ended up being about 71% Bernie, 29% Hillary, including all of the absentee ballots. This meant 21 state convention delegates for Bernie, and 8 for Hillary. Of the 13 people who actually stayed, though, it was 7 for Bernie and 6 for Hillary. (I supported Hillary.) So, of the state convention delegates we were assigning, Hillary and Bernie each got five. Bernie's campaign will have to do some calls or something to find people to fill the rest of those spots, if he wants that margin of victory to actually matter. Heh. While I didn't guess it would be that close beforehand, I wasn't too surprised; the stereotype is of course that Hillary supporters are more likely to be more dedicated to the party, and I think you see that there. That's why I stayed, certainly...

As for caucuses in general though, yes, there is some value to them. It lets you have actual conversations with people, including elected officials and party members, and that's a good thing. But as much as I did like that element of caucusing, having to wait hours and hours before you even get in the door (and then hours more once you get in, if you want to actually caucus) is absurd. It's never, ever like that in this state in normal elections, Maine is not one of those places with hours-long waits at regular polling places, and it doesn't have to be this way, we need to go back to primaries. Caucuses only work in off-years when only a couple hundred people go, they do not work in presidential years in anywhere with a larger population.

(Oh, I asked, and apparently Maine uses caucuses now in part because the state has to pay the bills for a primary while the parties pay for caucuses, so it's financially advantageous for the state to hold caucuses instead of primaries.)

Gruco

Banned
How do people feel about the sort of attribution that goes on where Hillary essentially has ownership of everything that happens on during Bill's presidency? My instinct is to get really pissed off about it. She wasn't actually in office and she doesn't make sense to assume that she automatically inherits everything that happens then. Like, the assumption is essentially that she wanted everything that Bill did or something.

On the other hand....her campaign in 2008 was fairly explicitly based on her experience in the white house.

On the other. She's not actually running the 2008 campaign anymore. The 90s were a long time ago. A senator winning 2 terms, serving 8 years, and a 4 yr secstate is a strong resume.

The whole thing is super weird to me. I guess I can understand the attribution, but it still seems wrong.

Conversation with myself:

Clinton just took credit for the 90s economy. Yeah, if you're going to play that card you have to be able to own the rest of it.

I'm not watching the debate. What did he say? I'mma need some receipts?

A summation was:

As a white person I don't know what it's like to be black. White people don't know what it's like to live in the ghetto. White people don't know what its like to be poor.

He also managed to argue that the Democratic Party is wrong, and he, somehow, managed to double down on giving immunity to gun manufacturers.

He's also managed to wag his finger every time Hillary's spoken, and told her "Let me finish." Once.

My BernieBro just texted me again saying if he hadn't already voted for Hillary he wouldn't be voting for Bernie now. Dude's been an ass tonight.

Tarkus

Well, he managed to insinuate that black people live in the ghetto and white people can't be poor.

Okay. Well done.
Don't say this in the debate thread or Berniebros will become hostile and tell you to fuck off before quickly editing.

Slayven

He's also managed to wag his finger every time Hillary's spoken, and told her "Let me finish." Once.

My BernieBro just texted me again saying if he hadn't already voted for Hillary he wouldn't be voting for Bernie now. Dude's been an ass tonight.

"Does this bother you, I am not touching you. But what is touching you is Wallstreet....."

Gruco

Banned
Candidates are both crazy exhausted, and audience isn't getting anything out of this. We've almost certainly hit the "too many debates" line at this point.

That said, the contrast with the GOP is stunning. So I guess there is a purpose there.

Armaros

"Does this bother you, I am not touching you. But what is touching you is Wallstreet....."

If she really wanted to go on offense, she could bring up how lenient he is on gun manufacturers and contrast it with his stance on corporations in other sectors.

He looked really bad during the gun control part.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If she really wanted to go on offense, she could bring up how lenient he is on gun manufacturers and contrast it with his stance on corporations in other sectors.

She's got no reason to hit him that hard.

Armaros

She's got no reason to hit him that hard.

That's why I said 'if'

She isn't going to because she is already winning and there is no need to bring it down to that level. And unless Bernie goes completely into meltdown mode and 100% negative I don't think she will.

Slayven

She honestly shouldn't waste her energy, Bernie worse enemy is Bernie and his advisors.

Original picture:

Cc6MnS8XEAEJTfE.jpg

Photoshopped:

Cc6VSZfUYAAaMRl.jpg

Hmm, on-board with firing bad teachers and paying good teachers more.

Bernie has literally three things he talks about, even Rubio has more variety. Though Bernie does believe in the things he talks about.

“They have no infrastructure,” said Scott Reed, who is unaffiliated with any campaign but serves as the chief political strategist for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. “His campaign hasn’t been able to keep up with his candidacy. . . . They don’t have the operation in the states to help him get over the top. He should be a finalist going all the way to California, and he’s not.”

One prominent Rubio supporter, who is an elected official and spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly, said Sunday that he now doubts that Rubio can win and is privately preparing to support Cruz should the race narrow.
He said Rubio’s recent decision to go hard in attacking Trump does not seem to have helped him.

“Cruz seems to be the only one benefiting from Marco’s hits on Trump. Marco hits Trump and doesn’t go up in the polls,” the supporter said. “It wasn’t easy to watch television on Saturday night. Nothing is happening. A lot of us, we love him, but we think we might have to end up with Cruz.”
But Rubio’s game plan ran into reality — the #MarcoMentum strategy, as it’s been dubbed on social media, was covering up massive deficiencies inside the states that were voting. Rubio had little to no infrastructure inside those key states, and each effort began when he was so far behind that momentum meant very little. He ended up a distant third behind Cruz, whose campaign has run a more effective, traditional effort to find supporters and then get them to the polls.
Meanwhile, Rubio supporters are angry and bitter about the continued presence of Kasich, whom they view as more of a stubborn spoiler than a legitimate contender for the presidential nomination.

On conference calls with donors and other supporters last week, Rubio campaign manager Terry Sullivan suggested that Kasich was effectively helping the Trump cause by pulling votes away from Rubio, according to those on the calls. Sullivan and other participants discussed ways to convince friends of Kasich to directly urge him to drop out, according to a participant on one of the calls.

But Kasich has rejected the overtures, and his campaign believes that states voting after March 15 in the Mid-Atlantic and West will be more favorable to him than Cruz or Rubio.
Link.
I can't wait for all of the angry anti-Rubio campaign leaks once he loses Florida.

Gruco

Banned
So this is kind of personal, but it's my biggest peeve about Bernie. He just gave a nice spiel about how scientists are smart, and we should listen to them, and the people who don't trust them are fool because they're the experts.

And I'm just sitting here like "Bro, why don't you listen to economists?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom