• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kennedy has been the archetypal Democratic nominee ever since. Young, aspirational, a minority, telegenic, with a beautiful young family. Obama fit the mold in every way, he even had Ted Kennedy make him an honorary Kennedy.

He even had the never-before-seen political machine behind him, just like JFK.

Obama was absolutely modern Kennedy, only better in every single way.

The Vermont Senator had effectively walked a fine line in the previous six debates when it came to attacking Clinton without coming across as either bullying or condescending. He tripped and fell while trying to execute that delicate dance on Sunday night. Sanders's "excuse me, I'm talking" rebuttal to Clinton hinted at the fact that he was losing his temper with her. His "can I finish please" retort ensured that his tone and his approach to someone trying to become the first female presidential nominee in either party would be THE story of the night.

This guy outlines why I also thought Bernie lost the debate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-debate/?postshare=2701457320146330&tid=ss_tw

pigeon

Banned
Pigeon, you have said that you are a socliast. What does this entail in terms of ideal policy?

My number one policy in terms of long-term goals is the establishment of a citizen's wage -- a living wage paid directly to every person in America by the government. People would be free to work normally and earn more money, although there would probably be a pretty significant tax on income outside of the citizen's wage.

I don't expect significant price issues as a result, but it's not implausible that you would want price controls on food and shelter, or to pay at least some of that wage in kind rather than cash.

My expectation is that this would do a lot of the work in terms of correcting the imbalance in the free market towards rentiers. Companies who currently pay minimum wage would very likely have to change their jobs and strategies or simply not be able to employ people to do those jobs. People who wanted to pursue their own businesses or ambitions would be free to chase their dreams without worrying about starving to death. This would no doubt increase our rate of technological progress, creating more wealth, as well as developing a healthy American culture.

Of course this would also resolve our fundamental national failure to fulfill our moral responsibility to feed and clothe every American. (Every person really but that's kind of a longer-term problem.)

I'd also like to build a stronger universal healthcare system on top of the existing system. A public option would be a good start.

Kusagari

I mean the only ads I'm seeing against Trump in Florida are a billion ads for Rubio that call him a "foreign policy expert" and that "Trump wants to be friends with Putin."

The ads blow and I don't see them convincing anyone to not support Trump.

I think tonight's debate sort of demonstrated why Bernie fan's thirst for (and anger at the DNC over a lack of) more debates is kind of misplaced. Bernie's a solid debater, but he's definitely not in the kind of tier he'd need for a debate to pick him up significantly more support than Hillary does.

Cc6g1_8W4AUucQl.png

royalan

As per usual, the Queen slayed on substance.

But sometimes substance is a hard sell. Even when it's right.

"Yes, even some of our biggest corporations need credit support from the government to be competitive on the global marketplace. This actually protects jobs back home."

Isn't as instantly palatable as, "NO BAILOUTS FOR THE BILLIONAIRES."

The more I hear Bernie talk the more I'm convinced that his hard stances on certain issues are just a smoke screen for not being well-versed on them.

Not only that, but his behavior tonight was despicable. There's no other word for it. Cutting off Hillary while shouting at her to let him speak. The finger waving. The annoying facial expressions aimed at Anderson while she was talking. Cutting off moderators and members of the audience before they even finish their questions. Very poor showing from him.

CNN's headline on one of the videos is "White people can't know what it's like to live in a ghetto" with a big picture of Bernie underneath...linking to the video in question of him saying that shit.

That'll play well.

And I'm watching Race to the White House too. :)

Oh good lord. He...chose poorly. Tell Eminem he doesn't know what it's like to live in the ghetto.

Sanders should have just stopped with saying that white people don't know what it's like to be black. But he had to go the ghetto (which ties into his economic stance, of course). But he had to keep going. Now he's pissed off poor white people /and/ well to do black people.

I think tonight's debate sort of demonstrated why Bernie fan's thirst for (and anger at the DNC over a lack of) more debates is kind of misplaced. Bernie's a solid debater, but he's definitely not in the kind of tier he'd need for a debate to pick him up significantly more support than Hillary does.

I love the guy but hes a shit debater (which is ok, I am probably worse) and a bad candidate optics wise. Put him in a charismatic young male body (think obama) and I think he would be doing a lot better (maybe not enough to beat clinton but she is a damn good candidate). Oh well, single payer healthcare can wait I guess (don't tell the people who don't have insurance or are underinsuranced that CHF is treatable and preventable).

Also i bet most people who thought sanders or clinton won probably liked them coming in, bias is a real thing lol

Oh good lord. He...chose poorly. Tell Eminem he doesn't know what it's like to live in the ghetto.

Sanders should have just stopped with saying that white people don't know what it's like to be black. But he had to go the ghetto (which ties into his economic stance, of course). But he had to keep going. Now he's pissed off poor white people /and/ well to do black people.

Ya, that would have been the smart thing to do, but he just had to keep going. There's blowback on Twitter about it. It was what MSNBC was talking about immediately. That and how Bernie didn't vote for the auto bailout. In Michigan.

And Bernie can't win anything that's not a caucus. And, I never knew Iowa, Mass and Nevada were in the south.

Having not followed any live reactions to the debate or anything, I don't think this debate moves the needle much. They both more or less hammered home the points they always do. Bernie had a weird gaffe saying "white people don't know what it's like to be poor" but in context I think it's easy to see what he was getting at. Overall, I don't think this changes anything. I think tomorrow's townhall with fox news will be more interesting actually.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Ugh this shit is the worst. Not only is it disingenuous and factually incorrect, insulting people who take part in the process and support your party because they live in those states you got destroyed in is just a terrible look. I expect this crap from his supporters not his actual damn staff.

Armaros

Ugh this shit is the worst. Not only is it disingenuous and factually incorrect, insulting people who take part in the process and support your party because they live in those states you got destroyed in is just a terrible look. I expect this crap from his supporters not his actual damn staff.

'Our voters are better' - always the losing candidate.

Weaver has always been shitty and probably always will be. He's a filthy stain on Bernie's campaign.

I mean the only ads I'm seeing against Trump in Florida are a billion ads for Rubio that call him a "foreign policy expert" and that "Trump wants to be friends with Putin."

The ads blow and I don't see them convincing anyone to not support Trump.

One of the reasons that Trump has dominated so much is that everyone other than Cruz and McConnell is terrible at this on the Republican side.

If the GOPe is really advertising that "Rubio is a neocon, vote for him!", then they have been trapped inside a bubble so strong that they will never escape.

Kusagari

I've seen way too many Bernie supporters try this crap by saying "Hillary is only winning the red states."

Ignoring when Bernie wins Oklahoma or Kansas.

What was the context? And what kind of politician thinks there is a smarter policy advocated by their enemy?

His answer was "I know we're going to win here because you're smart." Which he said after getting blown the hell out in SC. The context was fine, but it was a stupid thing to say. It was in response to people knowing his average donation is $27.00

His answer was "I know we're going to win here because you're smart." Which he said after getting blown the hell out in SC. The context was fine, but it was a stupid thing to say. It was in response to people knowing his average donation is $27.00

Oh that is pretty crappy of him, he seems pretty gaffe prone and I totally get what he means but maybe being old isn't the best for the ol noggin (spoiler our brains peak around 25 :( which sucks)

Effect

I believe that was also on top of him not even bothering to thank his supporters and those that voted for him in South Carolina. He might have sent out a text I think but nothing when he held his rally that night. He just ignored what happen for the most part when he was speaking. Everything just didn't look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom