• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Reince! Turnout is way up!

a1mCYugl.jpg

Okay but seriously have a look at this article, Mr. Priebus: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/u...e-to-vote-against-him.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

eHdc7Pul.jpg

Rubio's collapse probably cements Kasich winning Ohio. Drumpf never really had much of an edge there and any significant portion of Rubio's votes going to Kasich will doom him. Florida looks good though. And Drumpf needs to win Missouri and do well in Illinois/NC on that day.

I've been thinking the same thing about Ohio. To me Kasich's probably got that state down pat and by a decent margin to, but the Predictit markets haven't seemed to react to that yet. I'm surprised we haven't gotten a "Cerium Market Tip" for Kasich in Ohio.

Maengun1

I'm curious to see what happens with Dems in Wisconsin. I'm from the area and there's definitely some DNA from both Michigan and Minnesota in there (with one of those going heavily to Sanders and the other likely the reverse tomorrow).

I had always figured Bernie would be out before April 5 but now I doubt it. I see 538's poll aggregate currently has him leading there by less than 1%.

March 22: Arizona, Idaho, Utah
March 26: Alaska, Hawaii, Washington
April 5: Wisconsin
April 9: Wyoming
April 19: New York

Yeesh, map looks bad for Clinton after the 15th and until April 19th(NY).

Smallish states that won't matter much unless Sanders gets 80-20 in those states. I think he has alaska, Washington, Wyoming & Idaho, although not at 80-20. Wisconsin is a toss up. Saw a poll that Clinton was head in Utah..but it was one poll and awhile back. I think Hillary should do well in Hawaii (minorities) and Arizona (Snowbirds) as well as New york.

So while Bernie will likely get more delegates than Clinton overall until the 19th. The Numbers game doesn't really change that much unless he has huge wins in all of those states (Which I don't think he will.

Fuck states' rights. The bulk of what our meth labs of democracy do is find ways to screw people over by undercutting federal standards as much as possible. Local budgets being tied purely to local tax bases only serves to deepen wealth inequality and allow corporations to engage in interstate colonialism by demanding ridiculous tax subsidies and legislatively entrenched monopolies from communities desperate for jobs. And then governors have the power to refuse federal funds over idealogical power games? Not worth the rare moments when a state does something nice. Fucked up public schools, lead in the fucking water supply, voting rights suppressed, women's health clinics forced to close, civil asset forfeiture, regionally depressed wages, regulatory races to the bottom, all because we let areas of the country pretend they're sovereign entities.

Federalism is a waste. A big fat mess.

For real yo.

As you said: it'd probably work quite well if so many Americans weren't such a bunch of cunts, but we are. States' rights is 90% dog whistles and the rest people genuinely concerned about centralized power.

Teggy

Hey guys, Dinesh Dsouza has uncovered the deep dark secret that the KKK were democrats. Going to break this election wide open /s

Sandoval would be cutting his own throat by running with Trump. I think its more likely he endorses Clinton and winds up as her AG or something.

Nah, I doubt he would take that spot. I seem him keeping his governor spot and running for president in 2020 if the republican nominee doesn't win this year. The probably with Trump is any republican with aspirations for the future won't take Trump's offer for vp. He's going to be stuck with someone like Huckabee.

My Facebook feed is filling up with anti Hillary posts from Bernie supporters today. Ugh.

They'll just get more obnoxious the longer it goes on and the less likely it looks like Bernie has a chance of winning. Kudos to Bernie to get most of his supporters to believe Hillary is evil, corrupt, and a republican in sheep's clothing.

Nah, I doubt he would take that spot. I seem him keeping his governor spot and running for president in 2020 if the republican nominee doesn't win this year. The probably with Trump is any republican with aspirations for the future won't take Trump's offer for vp. He's going to be stuck with someone like Huckabee.

I thought Sandoval said he wasn't going to run again in 2018 when he pushed through that tax increase but can't find anything about it. Unless Clinton wins in a complete wipeout, I can't see the GOP going with a moderate in '20 but Sandoval would be a good one.

MSU put out a poll that was taken from January 25-March 3, showing only a 5 point gap between Clinton and Sanders. Some people are taking it as gospel.

538 threw it in their aggregate with no weight. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

I thought Sandoval said he wasn't going to run again in 2018 when he pushed through that tax increase but can't find anything about it. Unless Clinton wins in a complete wipeout, I can't see the GOP going with a moderate in '20 but Sandoval would be a good one.

I see the 2020 Republican field looking like Nikki Haley, Brian Sandoval, and Ted Cruz if he doesn't get the nom this time. Plus a few others as it gets closer. I'm hoping democrats pull out a win this year, but I could see her having trouble in 2020 at re-election time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
MSU put out a poll that was taken from January 25-March 3, showing only a 5 point gap between Clinton and Sanders. Some people are taking it as gospel.

538 threw it in their aggregate with no weight. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

RAZOR THIN!

TOO CLOSE TO CALL!

DEAD HEAT!

Fuck states' rights. The bulk of what our meth labs of democracy do is find ways to screw people over by undercutting federal standards as much as possible. Local budgets being tied purely to local tax bases only serves to deepen wealth inequality and allow corporations to engage in interstate colonialism by demanding ridiculous tax subsidies and legislatively entrenched monopolies from communities desperate for jobs. And then governors have the power to refuse federal funds over idealogical power games? Not worth the rare moments when a state does something nice. Fucked up public schools, lead in the fucking water supply, voting rights suppressed, women's health clinics forced to close, civil asset forfeiture, regionally depressed wages, regulatory races to the bottom, all because we let areas of the country pretend they're sovereign entities.

Federalism is a waste. A big fat mess.

I don't disagree with the problems you've listed, but the fact that states have real power provides an essential check on federal overreach into the lives of the citizenry. It's states that created momentum against the anti-gay marriage movement, it's states that are creating momentum against marijuana prohibition, it was a state that first implemented an Obamacare-like system, and it's states that would prevent the expansion of right-wing silliness if Donald Trump or some political descendant of his were elected and tried implementing his batshit crazy ideas on the country-at-large by pushing back or introducing local exemptions.

Marco said some smart things to his audience in Idaho Falls yesterday:

Some say they appreciate that he took into account what matters to Idahoans.
"The national lab is located nearby, a place that is critical to our future. Not just as a nuclear deterrent but to power our nuclear submarines and ships," Rubio said.

"I really liked that he talked about establishing more nuclear energy in this country. We are spending way too much money out-sourcing the energy," Scott said.

I'd guess if Sanders struggles in that area, it'd be because he's anti-nuclear. A lot of the jobs in the area are tied to the Department of Energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom