• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Key789

Banned
Yeah, for sure. That one is easy to tell. Hillary will probably do terribly here because Bernie die hards (of which there are a lot) will vote for him and a lot of Hillary fans will vote GOP.

Hillary is definitely winning crushing the econ program vote though, so there's that.

I just moved to Ann Arbor, and it is feeling the Bern. I don't want to drive back to flint to vote, so unless hillary loses by 1, I welcome our next Queen.

mclem

Side question: how does one know if someone replies to your posts? I'd hate to ignore somebody.

Quotes include your username, so I just (arrogant as it sounds!) search for my own name; that'll show any post that mentions me, i.e. any post that quotes me.

Occasionally, of course, there's sequential replies that don't use quotes. Not a lot you can do about those.

PBY

Banned
#NeverTrump
‏@PatrickRuffini
Michigan off the charts for Google searches on "how to stop trump"

Its over.

ABC/WaPo has Trump's favorable ratings at 30-67 in the general election

Weird that people still think he'd have a chance. It'll be election eve, he'll be trailing Hillary by double digits and people will still be like "No people will vote for him because it's funny lol!"

Weird that people still think he'd have a chance. It'll be election eve, he'll be trailing Hillary by double digits and people will still be like "No people will vote for him because it's funny lol!"

I'm going to stop forcing myself to worry about Trump. I always feel like if I get too optimistic things go poorly but I just can't see a Trump presidency happening.

PBY

Banned
Gonna go out on a limb here

Watching these google trends - I'ma say Rubio shocks the world in Idaho. Maybe he doesn't win, but I say he overperforms.

Released

Just passed one of the polls here (in MS) on the way to the store. Nothing but Trump signs. I really need to get out of this place.

CCS

Banned
I feel like if anything saves the GOP by stopping Trump it may be Democrats crossing over to vote against him. That'd be strange. And annoying.

58yDRHF.png

jtb

Banned
Lil bit. The latest 538 pod was 40 mins of trump diablosing

I didn't understand/agree with their analysis at all. A race with winner-take-all states means Trump doesn't have to expand his voter base from a plurality to a majority in order to amass an insurmountable delegate lead. For all the little signals that Trump might be faltering, it really just takes a win in Florida to completely erase all of that and put him back in a commanding position. Frankly, just as the game theorist might say that it was good for Trump to "let" Cruz win Texas, it's probably in Trump's best interest to "let" Kasich win Ohio too.

As Trump might be weak in late voters, Rubio also collapsed -- and that's really his only competition in a state like Florida. Seemed like Nate and Harry were going out of their way to double back to their "Trump is doomed" narrative. As long as he puts away Rubio, there's no one who can unite the factions of the GOP into a coalition that's larger than Trump's, and that will be enough to carry him to the nomination, barring a contested convention -- at which point, Trump will have already succeeded in destroying the GOP.

#NeverTrump
‏@PatrickRuffini

Its over.

Are you worried he won't be the nominee? Is that what you meant by "today could be bad?"

How does Cruz compare?

Kusagari

Both Trump and Cruz have unfavorables through the roof and they're the only two real candidates.

Democrats need to stop worrying.

HylianTom

Banned
I feel like if anything saves the GOP by stopping Trump it may be Democrats crossing over to vote against him. That'd be strange. And annoying.
It is annoying, and I want to quote Napoleon's "never interrupt your enemy" rule, but I won't get too worked-up over it. The cake is already baked to the point where it's ruined, no matter what shitty frosting the GOP decides to put on it in July.

PBY

Banned
Are you worried he won't be the nominee? Is that what you meant by "today could be bad?"

"Worried" is a loaded word. I'm rooting for him to win the nom, and I'm "worried" that he might not win a state today, and that it'll be the Cruz missile show from here on.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter thaaat much, but we've come so close to ending the dog whistle politics of the GOP.

Either way, yeah today could be bad in that he might underperform.

Woah, it's like I hopped in a time machine to last Tuesday with all the fears of nonexistent Democrat voters going out to stop Trump. This really was important last Tuesday with absolutely no one outside of Minnesota and DC voting for Rubio.

Democrat voters worry way too much about everything.

Michigan will be a red state soon, but not this year or in 2020.

Probably only if Snyder manages to poison the rest of the Democrats in the state soon.

What will the GOP even look like in 2024 anyway?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I'd probably feel better if this wasn't the exact thing people were saying about Trump when he first entered the race and had terrible favorables among republicans.

The thing about him being entertaining is that it allows him to completely control the conversation. Even if his attacks against Hillary are completely dumb, the conversation will still only be about Trump's attacks, and anything Hillary says is just seen through the lense of wondering how Trump will respond.

I'm not terribly worried, and I'd certainly take on Trump over Rubio or Kasich, but I'd still say the known quantity of Cruz is the slightly prefered matchup on the presidential level. The down ticket would definitely prefer Trump though.

PBY

Banned
I'd probably feel better if this wasn't the exact thing people were saying about Trump when he first entered the race and had terrible favorables among republicans.

The thing about him being entertaining is that it allows him to completely control the conversation. Even if his attacks against Hillary are completely dumb, the conversation will still only be about Trump's attacks, and anything Hillary says is just seen through the lense of wondering how Trump will respond.

I'm not terribly worried, and I'd certainly take on Trump over Rubio or Kasich, but I'd still say the known quantity of Cruz is the slightly prefered matchup on the presidential level. The down ticket would definitely prefer Trump though.

Not sure why the favorability issue with Republicans should worry you - in a 2 man race, Trump has zero shot of being the nom. He'd do even worse against Hillary.

I think the difference is, all this ridiculous stuff has been endearing him to the GOP primary electorate but they've been blasted on the headlines everywhere and most non-Republicans just roll their eyes and shake their heads. His persona has a pretty exclusive appeal right now.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I have no feel for how Idaho will go today. Even though I know a lot of republicans here, the ones I know are depressed about this year and not really backing anybody. I'll be surprised if anyone in my family goes to vote even though they are all pretty staunch conservatives.

PBY

Banned
I have no feel for how Idaho will go today. Even though I know a lot of republicans here, the ones I know are depressed about this year and not really backing anybody. I'll be surprised if anyone in my family goes to vote even though they are all pretty staunch conservatives.

Im guessing Rubiomentum

CCS

Banned
So fucking stupid.

It is annoying, and I want to quote Napoleon's "never interrupt your enemy" rule, but I won't get too worked-up over it. The cake is already baked to the point where it's ruined, no matter what shitty frosting the GOP decides to put on it in July.

I think that Hillary will win regardless, but Trump could do so much damage down ticket to the GOP. If only everyone was as obsessive about political strategy as us...

Gonna go out on a limb here

Watching these google trends - I'ma say Rubio shocks the world in Idaho. Maybe he doesn't win, but I say he overperforms.
Going to save this post. I'm going to force a tag bet on this when Rubio fails to get more than 20% and nets 0 delegates.

im only guessing Cruz because he does well in closed voting states and middle america

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are we really going to freak out about crossover dems again after Super Tuesday? People will look for anything to panic about.

Blader

#NeverTrump
‏@PatrickRuffini

Its over.

Of all the weird stuff happening in this cycle, one of the more interesting findings is how Google searches for a specific candidate just before a primary/caucus correlate to the results.

Is Rubio really losing because he's not xenophobic enough for the base? Between Trump's muslim ban and Ted's glass sand strategy, people seem down enough on Rubio for showing even a sliver of compassion to foreigners.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Going to save this post. I'm going to force a tag bet on this when Rubio fails to get more than 20% and nets 0 delegates.
I hope you're right. Just like Jeb I take pleasure in Ruboto failing.
Probably only if Snyder manages to poison the rest of the Democrats in the state soon.

What will the GOP even look like in 2024 anyway?
If they fail to realign by 2020, possibly in worse shape now. Who knows though, there's too many factors. Maybe MRAs strangle the GOP in face of a Hillary presidency. Maybe the party splinters with a Trump nomination.
Is today really called Super Tuesday 2?
More like Mini Tuesday.

Is Rubio really losing because he's not xenophobic enough for the base? Between Trump's muslim ban and Ted's glass sand strategy, people seem down enough on Rubio for showing even a sliver of compassion to foreigners.
They hate Rubio because he's an establishment darling and voted for immigration reform.

Doing some reading today. Random though. How does Kate Brown seem as a potential Clinton VP pick?

Controversy

While Secretary of State, Brown was accused of being too friendly with controversial telecommunications company Comcast. She released a letter supporting Comcast that was nearly identical to a letter sent out by Comcast lobbyists to gain support for the Time-Warner/Comcast merger. She also received nearly $10,000 dollars in campaign contributions from Comcast during her runs for office between 2006 and 2012.[20][21]

Brown has also been criticized for her willingness to undermine her colleagues. She was integral in rounding up votes to pass a bill reforming Oregon's Public Employee Retirement System and then voted against the reform bill in order to preserve her own ties to organized labor. Many of her colleagues would go on to lose their seats due to backlash from labor unions.[21]

As Secretary of State, Brown faced further political backlash when she botched the scheduling of the election for Labor Commissioner between Democrat Brad Avakian and Republican Bruce Starr. An early election would have favored Starr, but as the election approached, Brown changed her mind and scheduled the election for November helping Avakian to win the race.[21]

kinda shite?

HylianTom

Banned
I think that Hillary will win regardless, but Trump could do so much damage down ticket to the GOP. If only everyone was as obsessive about political strategy as us...
Yup! I'm happy with Trump or Cruz, but Trump would fulfill my desire to see the GOPacalypse (the House going blue with everything else).

And I'm loving these stories of sad Republican relatives. As of a few weeks ago, the most common answer from Republicans in my family was "I don't wanna talk about it" (usually accompanied with a sigh or a pained expression).

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Did Romney's speech backfire? A little:

The Guardian said:
According to Morning Consult, 31% of Republican voters say that they are more likely to vote for the New York billionaire after Romney’s speech, with only one in five Republicans saying that the former Massachusetts governor’s remarks made them less likely to vote for Trump. Forty-three percent told Morning Consult that Romney’s remarks had no bearing at all on their decision.

Even among those who voted for Romney in 2012, the former governor’s speech backfired: 30% declared that they were more likely to vote for Trump, while only 20% were less likely.

bananas

Banned
Getting this one in early so I don't forget: PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| "Sometimes we'll do it for fun and they'll start screaming at me"

Anyone else pissed at how negative Salon is going on Hillary? They're doing a lot of GE harm, IMO, if they keep pushing the most downbeat, negative stories.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have a feeling Cruz's favorability will drop after he gets the nomination.

Meowster

Yup! I'm happy with Trump or Cruz, but Trump would fulfill my desire to see the GOPacalypse (the House going blue with everything else).

And I'm loving these stories of sad Republican relatives. As of a few weeks ago, the most common answer from Republicans in my family was "I don't wanna talk about it" (usually accompanied with a sigh or a pained expression).
Aside from the evangelical Christian sect on my dad's side that is rooting for Cruz, everybody that normally votes Republican (and my uncle that is a staunch supporter of the GOP thanks to his service as a Colonel in the military) are all becoming more open to voting for Hillary than Trump or Cruz. They were all really hoping for Rubio as their last stand and.. well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom