• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
from 538:

This, from our friends at ABC News, is interesting: “Eight in 10 voters in the Democratic contest in Michigan were more interested in an experienced candidate than in an outsider,” and although in the past Clinton has won this group by seven out of 10, her share in Michigan of this demographic is “just more than half” right now.

Could it be that some “main line” Michigan Dems — the exit polls say that seven out of 10 voters in the primary identify this way — decided that Clinton probably had things sewn up and decided to go with bit of a “heartstrings vote” in the form of Sanders? Maybe.

*cough* Cheebo *cough*

starmud

Either way the gain from MI on the dem side is mute, though it's going to make the next few outings interesting given how bad polling was :|

Bowdz

Bernie's got this. #TeamHilldawg #BernedinMichigan

Also, fucking lol at the AnastasiaDate. com (aka mail order brides).

benjipwns

Banned
I trust this over any Florida polling:
BN-MY857_botwt0_M_20160308094426.jpg

teiresias

The only moral victory Bernie should be claiming is aiding in a general election victory by bowing out and letting Hillary get on with GE framing and campaigning rather than continuing to stroke his own ego . . . you know, if it's really about keeping progress moving rather than letting the country fall into the pits of complete Republican government control

from 538:

*cough* Cheebo *cough*

My mom voted Bernie because she votes Dem and does not like Clinton.

My dad voted Bernie because he is a Republican and wants what he perceives to be the weaker, easier to defeat candidate vs. Donald Trump.

So it's not all Dem's voting with their heart strings. Or Dems voting this way at all.

danm999

probably 10 people did that. Thats like the most dumb explanation pollsters can give to save face. Politics is about emotions, everyone vote with their hearts.

Yeah strategic voting doesn't seem to explain the gap between the polls and (even if Clinton edges a win here) the outcome.

VRMN

In a race this close, this is absolutely relevant to explaining the result, but it doesn't actually wipe away the kind of margins polling was indicating would be the case. We're probably looking at a combination of complacency, some of these "heart strings" voters, bad polling demographics due to a lack of competitive Democratic primaries in Michigan, and cross over voters. I would assume that Republican crossovers would be Sanders votes, due to a perception among Republicans that Sanders would be easier to beat in a general.

53 seconds ago
SOS results: With 81 precincts reporting: Cruz jumps ahead. Cruz: 38.7%, Trump: 35.4%, Rubio: 14.3% #idelex @ktvb

Idaho needs to consistently report its polls, the three trackers are giving out pretty different results.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Whats the rough delegate split for Michigan going to be if Bernie gets 50%+ and wins by a couple of points?

I have tried to look online and am... confused.

The only moral victory Bernie should be claiming is aiding in a general election victory by bowing out and letting Hillary get on with GE framing and campaigning rather than continuing to stroke his own ego . . . you know, if it's really about keeping progress moving rather than letting the country fall into the pits of complete Republican government control

Is not his fault Clinton is a such a weak candidate...or maybe Sanders is just that extraordinary and all this drama will help her once he endorses her in the generals.

VRMN

Whats the rough delegate split for Michigan going to be if Bernie gets 50%+ and wins by a couple of points?

I have tried to look online and am... confused.

It is confusing, but basically a 50-48 win is going to result in a rough delegate split. I'd guess 75-72 for Sanders, or a net of +3.

Have there been any numbers/polls in any of the primaries so far about religious voters in the Democratic primaries/caucuses? I'm curious to see how this breaks down with Bernie and Hillary.

edit: every link I search for breaks down religious voters in the Republican primary, but not the Democratic one.

NeoXChaos

P Politics ‏@AP_Politics 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Bernie Sanders wins the Democratic presidential primary in Michigan. @AP race call at 11:30 p.m. EST. #Election2016 #APracecall

good job bernie people

Key things to look going forward are, does he get a bounce out of this from Ohio, Missouri, etc. After next Tuesday, the south is over with, and things swing to Sanders favor, and he can eventually chip away at the pledged delegate count.

teiresias

Is not his fault Clinton is a such a weak candidate...or maybe Sanders is just that extraordinary and all this drama will help her once he endorses her in the generals.

If all it takes to be a "strong" candidate in this environment and with the young people of this country is to tell them exactly what they want to hear without regard for how it will actually be done, then go ahead and be strong as the castle falls around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom