• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Yeah I get that Kasich is more threatening just because he is more likely to get elected but nothing puts him in the same league as Rubo, Trump or Cruz. Like, that Samantha Bee skit was pretty lame, for example. Republican who opposes abortion is just what you expect from a Republican. Rubio is the most hawkish person in the Senate, Trump is leading a populist rascist revolution, and Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer. Kasich may be a terrible republican but he's really not in their league.
Kasich actually appears to be a person who's at least attempting to do the right thing. (even if what he thinks the right thing is actually terrible.) Telling the Kochs to F off in the way he did over Obamacare makes him more more complicated than the other guys.
A Bernie Veep could electrify the Democratic base and shore her up on attacks against her finance.
He also has the highest favorables across both parties.
Her finances are not an issue in an election vs the GOP representative. They're only an issue because Bernie made them one.

His chances remain "no chance in hell".

Hindl

Trump answers every attack with an ad hominem, why would it be different towards Clinton?
They already call him the Teflon Don. Nothing hurt him thus far.

Because the ad hominem would inevitably eventually become sexist, and women have a majority vote over men. Although he's already massively unfavorable among them

A Bernie Veep could electrify the Democratic base and shore her up on attacks against her finance.
He also has the highest favorables across both parties.

Bernie is too old unfortunately, she'll go younger

Rubio said Republican party will not win by attacking each other after spending his whole speech attacking Trump and then going back to attacking him after.

Iolo

Hillary crashes a bachelor party

Clinton’s personal photographer asked the men to pose, arranging them to Clinton’s left and right. The photographer, Barb Kinney, playfully suggested that a few of them kneel around Clinton — just as they would do later around the bride. This happened.

“I love having men at my feet,” Clinton said, laughing, as Kinney and the men all took photos.

“This is exciting,” she said.

“This is cool,” one man agreed.

“That looks like a really good Bloody Mary,” she said, pointing to one of the men’s drinks.

everyone is cheering on trump because he's as close to a walking and talking guarantee for a Democrat president as you can get... combined with the fact that he would be SO bad that down ticket races would benefit further.

I am not convinced of this anymore. We underestimate him at our peril.

“I love having men at my feet,” Clinton said

61427-George-Takei-oh-my-gif-Dzvp.gif

Hammer24

Banned

Trump as nominee will mean a policy free GE. It will all be about Clintons inability to satisfy her husband and other stuff along these lines. I doubt Sanders could help her with personal attacks.

kirblar

Neither was the GOP one before now.
The '12 cycle was showing hints of this w/ how far right the policy positions were required to be.

Romney pivoting so far right and self-immolating in the process because it hurt him huge in the General? That was a warning they didn't heed. They took the wrong lessons from it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump as nominee will mean a policy free GE. It will all be about Clintons inability to satisfy her husband and other stuff along these lines. I doubt Sanders could help her with personal attacks.

If Trump pulls that out it's game over for him, the best part is he probably knows this and still won't be able to resist.

You sure they wont just stay home, disgusted?

Compared to Trump, Hillary is a saint. She has her flaws and problems, but compare her flaws to Mexican are drug dealing rapists and ban all Muslims. Yeah, I am positive that they will turn out especially when Obama goes on the trail to campaign for her.

We should never underestimate minority voter turnout especially in regards to the demographic changes

Pay close attention to what Chris Christie just said about Trump, Democrats

It turns out some Democrats agree with Christie’s general analysis. Alex Seitz-Wald and Benjy Sarlin report today that some Democrats are coming around to the view that anything could happen in a Trump-Clinton match-up. This conversation with left-leaning demographics expert Ruy Teixeira is noteworthy, as is what follows:

If his populist message boosts turnout and margins with working class white voters high enough in the Rust Belt and Upper Midwest, he could win even while alienating black and Latino voters. “You could see a situation where someone like Trump could carry Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, maybe Pennsylvania,” he said. “That starts to put a real dent in the Democratic coalition.”

While Trump’s offensive language is undoubtedly a huge liability in a general election, it’s also a dangerous weapon. He’s already accused Bill Clinton of being a sexual abuser, an attack no other candidate is likely to level at the former president and one that some observers think contributed to Hillary Clinton’s drop in polls in the beginning of the year.

The attack on Bill Clinton seemed to unsettle the former secretary of state’s campaign. After spending months blasting Trump without hesitation, Hillary Clinton suddenly had nothing to say about him….

People familiar with the Clinton campaign’s thinking say they’re confident she can beat Trump – but that the race would likely to be much uglier and potentially more damaging than against another nominee. People are “insane” if they think this will be a walkover, one pro-Clinton operative said.

At least they're taking it seriously.

Nobody's mentioned this really but it's a good point. I doubt the GE's gonna focus that much on policy at all. Just both trying to convince people the other is a terrible fucking human.

Ekai

It sickens me how much Republicans have talked about veterans and how much they love them when they consistently fuck them over. Fuck Rubio and all of these talking heads so much.

"we want to be America", oh please. Your policies are inherently anti-American.

User 406

Banned
What I mean when I say that is he appears less on the fringe compared to Trump. The man seems socially progressive even though he obviously isn't.

But anyway, Kasich is truly an afterthought. Why talk about an afterthought when we can watch the madness here.

"Seems" is the whole point! He's good at fooling everyone, and that makes him dangerous. I don't want to see that motherfucker get veep.

Ah, sorry about that.

Kasich passes the "would you trust this person with a nuclear arsenal" test, which is more than most of the other GOP candidates can say.

Well... Kasich does have a very bad hair-trigger temper too, he's just been good at hiding that from the electorate as well. :X

Yeah, I seriously don't get the "Kasich is the real threat!" line of thinking. He's a bog standard Republican who looks slightly more appealing because he's campaigning against deranged lunatics who threaten civilization as we know it. Pointing this out does not make the deranged lunatics who threaten civilization look more appealing than him.

It's not that he's the real threat, it's that he gets people to let their guard down. Keep your guard up.

Gruco

Banned
People are way too cocky about the Obama coalition and the Electoral College "firewall." The flip side of expanding long term Democratic opportunities in the south and west is weakness in the rust belt. I don't think that would normally be visible quite yet but Trump is a very disruptive, very unpredictable candidate. You never know, and when it comes to him, no one really knows anything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I'm glad they are taking it seriously and know how ugly it will get. Trump is going to be one huge mudslinging match and whoever goes against him is going to need to be ready for anything and everything. No one is coming out of November smelling like a rose.

All that said, I think the reason Clinton's camp didn't continue hitting Trump after his attack on Bill is because they don't want to get dragged down into the mud before they have to. They were still dealing with Bernie, who did a good job of appearing to keep it clean and couldn't afford to get dirty yet. I doubt they'll have that problem in the fall.

Seriously: why? He has f.i. repeatedly called a hispanic Senator "boy" with out any repercussions whatsoever.

One is coded language, barely, and the other is incredibly blatant.

Diablos

It's still March. This is so exciting.

Okay and I might regret this but fuck Rubio and his perceived threat. I bet Hillary could still crush him. Even with Haley as his VP. Fuck it. Our queen will take them on

It's still March. This is so exciting.

Okay and I might regret this but fuck Rubio and his perceived threat. I bet Hillary could still crush him. Even with Haley as his VP. Fuck it. Our queen will take them on

Are you okay? Where is the real Diablos and what have you done with him?

Blink twice if someone is forcing you to say this.

I actually agree with you.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's the exact same thing. Just because one likes One of the attacked, doesn't make it any different.

It's not. Saying, "How can Clinton satisfy the country if she can't satisfy her husband," is on a different level than just calling Rubio a "boy." You can make a, dumb, argument that the latter isn't racist, but there's no way on god's green earth you can convince someone that the former is not sexist. It's just way too goddamned blatant.

Gruco

Banned
Nate Silver

538's reaction to this is going to be really interesting.

The site passed on literally every chance it had to think about re-evaluate its priors and think about things more empirically. And instead of doing so, it doubled down on the kind of sad, dismal punditry it sought to oppose in it's original mission statement.

That said, if they can find a way to be less of a joke, I welcome it.

Hammer24

Banned
It's not. Saying, "How can Clinton satisfy the country if she can't satisfy her husband," is on a different level than just calling Rubio a "boy." You can make a, dumb, argument that the latter isn't racist, but there's no way on god's green earth you can convince someone that the former is not sexist. It's just way too goddamned blatant.

We have to agree to disagree here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom