• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

If the GOP were really serious, they'd throw Trump out right now, even before ST, hoping that as a Indy candidate he would have to attack the Dem nominee just as much.

Trump would burn the GOP to the ground out of spite. He'd attack Clinton but he would destroy the Republicans, even if it means he doesn't win

Kusagari

I would love Rubio not winning a single fucking state the entire primary. Would be even better if Kasich does win Ohio somehow.

i think the goal of running a third party would to keep perceived turnout high enough to stave off bad down ticket losses.

Keeping the House and Senate might be the only reason they do it. At that point, they'd be conceding the presidency to do it.

Yes. The conservative vote might split at the top of the ticket but it won't be split downballot.

Trump could easily just post a list for people to vote for when they vote in the GE and have those people beat the GOP independent option. Trumps crowd is so closed off and would just follow what he says.

That's what I thought. I thought it was brought up before and we talked about it. Thank you all.

And Ironically, the two major parties made it hard for 3rd party people to be viable in the GE...so basically if they try to do it...they will have a shit ton of hurdles to jump.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If the GOP were really serious, they'd throw Trump out right now, even before ST, hoping that as a Indy candidate he would have to attack the Dem nominee just as much.

Can they even do this?

Hammer24

Banned
Trump would burn the GOP to the ground out of spite. He'd attack Clinton but he would destroy the Republicans, even if it means he doesn't win

What's Priebus' alternative? Watching the loss of presidency, senate AND house in One fell swoop? The days of simple backdoor dealing sure are over.

Do the GOP even help themselves down ticket running third party? I understand the idea that it would bolster the number of conservative voters, but how many of the people voting for trump would vote for down ticket establishment congressmen after they pull a maneuver trying to fuck their guy over like that?

Can they even do this?

No. They might be able to threaten someone like Cruz out because he holds an office but Trump really doesn't owe the party anything and can't be controlled.

Even if they could throw him out it would be the most politically damaging thing they could possibly do. It would essentially be saying the party doesn't care who its people vote for. If they think that people hate the establishment now, the damage something like that would do would be historic.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Do the GOP even help themselves down ticket running third party? I understand the idea that it would bolster the number of conservative voters, but how many of the people voting for trump would vote for down ticket establishment congressmen after they pull a maneuver trying to fuck their guy over like that?

Not many. I don't know if it'd have enough to take back the House, but if it did happen it would be GLORIOUS

NeoXChaos

Alright guys. Margin for Hillary tomorrow

Mine is

Hillary 64
Bernie 32

Cruz is probably going to get expelled from the Senate if Trump wins if not primaried whichever comes first

What's Priebus' alternative? Watching the loss of presidency, senate AND house in One fell swoop? The days of simple backdoor dealing sure are over.

The alternative is to just let Trump have the nomination. Republicans have an above 40% chance of controlling all three no matter who they nominate.

gcubed

i dont think many of the voters would be able to handle the effort of picking and choosing. They will push the R button and walk out

Anyone in the GOP who ran third party against Trump would be kissing their political career good bye. Wouldn't matter how much Trump lost by, they would be blamed for it.

They just need to send up Trump at this point and deal with it. They are cornered.

Hillary Clinton has reclaimed her position as the best-liked presidential candidate among Democrats and independents who lean Democratic, a sign that her candidacy is recovering a key advantage she recently surrendered to rival Bernie Sanders. Clinton's net favorable score stands at +55 for the week of Feb. 18-24, 2016, a 10-percentage-point increase from her low point recorded over Jan. 27-Feb.10. This latter time period overlapped with her landslide loss to Sanders in the New Hampshire primary. Sanders' net favorable over the past week, by contrast, stands at +44, well below Clinton's score and a steep fall from the +57 he boasted in late January/early February.

rc5fkkrto0-zc7urgdk0hq.png

http://www.gallup.com/opinion/polli...utton&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=sharing

Brinbe

Ted Cruz fell of the face of the Earth and he's more likely to win something than Rubio... lmao

Anyway, this Primary is pretty much fucking over. Cannot fucking wait till Hillary has the full weight of Bams, Bill and the entire Democratic party armed with full guns blazing at Trump.

Anyone else remember? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Seriously: why? He has f.i. repeatedly called a hispanic Senator "boy" with out any repercussions whatsoever.

What you're describing is a bug in the GOP election process, not a feature. There are very, very few minorities in these primaries and they are correspondingly very conservative. He's going to get killed in the general by this. You can play with this election forecaster at 538 to see just how much of the white vote he would need to overcome a big Hispanic turnout:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

watching Cruz trying to move to the right of Trump on immigration is a sad thing to witness. Does he think anyone is actually buying that Trump isn't tough enough on it like he is?

i dont think many of the voters would be able to handle the effort of picking and choosing. They will push the R button and walk out

This is the hope for the establishment while making such a move. If it works, I think all this talk of a splintering party are a little hyperbolic. If they actively snub congressmen for not supporting their man though ...

If the nominee is Trump the GOP should probably just try and do what it can to replicate 1972, when the Democrats kept the House and actually gained seats in the Senate despite McGovern getting slaughtered in the presidential race. Keep their distance from him, focus on the down-ballot races, and hope for the best, i.e., minimal losses in each chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom