• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

zargle

I honestly don't see anyone else other than Kasich as VP. Reasons why:

- A Republican has never won the Presidency without Ohio

- Kasich is highly popular in Ohio

- Kasich has not attacked Trump and has actually defended him a bit during the debates. Last debate, when asked about Super Tuesday, he said something along the lines of Trump will be doing all the winning

- Has the do-no-harm quality of a VP. I can see him getting along with Trump just fine.

- Good pull on independents

Seriously, seems like a no-brainer to me. Before I thought Rubio could be it, but after his failure to grab Hispanic support and after the last debate, I don't see this anymore. Besides, he will not help Trump win Florida as Trump could do that on his own.

Woahwoah, let's not go crazy here. I wouldn't characterize him as popular here, def not highly.

Gruco

Banned
For everyone who suffered from running into the brick wall of reality in 2004, the republican freakout in 2012 was one of the most glorious and cathartic experiences I've ever seen. It was so obviously coming, and they were so perfectly wrapped up in their bubble to see it. It was glorious.

Rubenov

Woahwoah, let's not go crazy here. I wouldn't characterize him as popular here, def not highly.

Yeah, he was really popular last year, hitting 62% approval in October. Maybe it has changed a bit since after running for President.

Still, he could make the difference in that swing state.

Actually, his approval ratings are in the 60s in Ohio. I was surprised too when I looked it up. It may have crashed a bit since October, but he is, surprisingly, pretty popular. He just doesn't read as bat shit insane. That's what makes him dangerous.

Hahahahahahahaha. Some of that Koch money going to get funneled into a Super PAC created to destroy Trump. There's no way any campaign's pPAC would run ads against him, especially not if it's a contested race. You couldn't risk pissing off hte 20% of people who want to lick Trump's boots.

User 406

Banned
Demon Souls is the best..

If you disagree, you are just wrong.

Pfff, the souls games are just a continuation of their long running King's Field series, and Demon's Souls was clearly intended as a tech demo for moving it to a new third person engine with online play. The small size of the game world and the linear design of each area does no justice to From's usually brilliantly interlinked world design, and the combat mechanics while revolutionary have clearly been refined and polished to a much greater extent in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2.

I mean, yeah, it's great, it's from From Software after all, but it's far from their best game. King's Field 4's world design blows it out of the water.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/5XpQ4
;D

zargle

Yeah, he was really popular last year, hitting 62% approval in October. Maybe it has changed a bit since after running for President.

Still, he could make the difference in that swing state.

I could see it going the other way as well though, with his recent defunding of Planned Parenthood and the possibility of bringing up older issues like SB5 and that he was the original defendant in the Obergefell case, causing the drive of Dems to the polls. If the Democrats had not put forward a complete dumpster fire of a candidate last election, I think we would have a better idea of his ability to help carry the state.

Slayven

giphy.gif

Probably the only time in his life where Rove caused a spontaneous erection.

He told a grown ass woman she could not read and then sent her to the basement-O-Nerds to get "the real numbers"

I could see it going the other way as well though, with his recent defunding of Planned Parenthood and the possibility of bringing up older issues like SB5 and that he was the original defendant in the Obergefell case, causing the drive of Dems to the polls. If the Democrats had not put forward a complete dumpster fire of a candidate last election, I think we would have a better idea of his ability to help carry the state.

There's an easier way for us to make him unpalatable to the GOP:

Just remind them that he not only expanded Medicaid but he did it behind the back of the GOP controlled legislature. I mean, it makes me feel shitty, because it is one of the few good things he actually did, but I'm guessing that doesn't bode well for Donald Trump Republicans.

Although what Donald Trump Republicans actually want other than a big effing wall and state approved racism is beyond me.

zargle

There's an easier way for us to make him unpalatable to the GOP:

Just remind them that he not only expanded Medicaid but he did it behind the back of the GOP controlled legislature. I mean, it makes me feel shitty, because it is one of the few good things he actually did, but I'm guessing that doesn't bode well for Donald Trump Republicans.

Although what Donald Trump Republicans actually want other than a big effing wall and state approved racism is beyond me.

Fair point. I was thinking more along the lines of what is needed to drive Dem turnout, since there are obviously enough dem voters to win the state. I might be overthinking it however, since the main argument needed for that is "Trump is a freaking crazy racist person ohmygod ohmygod dont let him win"

Tarkus

Pfff, the souls games are just a continuation of their long running King's Field series, and Demon's Souls was clearly intended as a tech demo for moving it to a new third person engine with online play. The small size of the game world and the linear design of each area does no justice to From's usually brilliantly interlinked world design, and the combat mechanics while revolutionary have clearly been refined and polished to a much greater extent in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2.

I mean, yeah, it's great, it's from From Software after all, but it's far from their best game. King's Field 4's world design blows it out of the water.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/5XpQ4
;D
Agree completely with the first paragraph. I actually kinda favor DS2 on ps4. 1080p/60 is God-tier.

User 406

Banned
Fair point. I was thinking more along the lines of what is needed to drive Dem turnout, since there are obviously enough dem voters to win the state. I might be overthinking it however, since the main argument needed for that is "Trump is a freaking crazy racist person ohmygod ohmygod dont let him win"

Part of the reason I freak out so badly about Kasich is that I'm utterly baffled that he's still doing so well in the wake of SB5. That was a solid rebuke by the electorate, but he's still able to make people think he's not a bad guy. If Ohio Democrats can forget that kind of conflict this easily, I greatly fear our ability to mobilize any kind of effort against him. It's like the only way we can fight him is after he gets the bad shit done. We're lucky as hell we're not Wisconsin right now.

I agree with what you're saying. I just think the easier way for us to cripple him is to take him out of contention with the GOP base to begin with. I'm not sure how much the Veep really helps carry a particular state. Romney didn't win any of the states in which he has a home, except Utah. Ryan couldn't deliver Wisconsin for him. Biden was from a safe blue state, as was Leiberman : UGH How did that even happen!? : Edwards was from a red state, so not sure how that would impact a Veep selection from a swing state.

NeoXChaos

When do polls close on Super Tuesday?
Voting occurs throughout the day, but polls will close at different times. Polls in Alabama, Georgia, Vermont and Virginia close at 7 p.m. (all times eastern). Massachusetts, Oklahoma and Tennessee close their polls at 8 p.m. Most Texas polls close at 8, but a few in the state’s western region will close an hour later. Arkansas' polls close at 8:30 p.m. Minnesota’s caucuses begin at 8. Alaska’s caucuses close around midnight.
Colorado begins at 9:00 EST

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...rything-you-need-to-know-219849#ixzz41O48sdrW

CCS

Banned
When do polls close on Super Tuesday?
Voting occurs throughout the day, but polls will close at different times. Polls in Alabama, Georgia, Vermont and Virginia close at 7 p.m. (all times eastern). Massachusetts, Oklahoma and Tennessee close their polls at 8 p.m. Most Texas polls close at 8, but a few in the state’s western region will close an hour later. Arkansas' polls close at 8:30 p.m. Minnesota’s caucuses begin at 8. Alaska’s caucuses close around midnight.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...rything-you-need-to-know-219849#ixzz41O48sdrW

Gonna be a long night staying up for this. Will need an industrial quantity of coffee for in the morning I suspect.

Gonna be a long night staying up for this. Will need an industrial quantity of coffee for in the morning I suspect.

If you stay up more than 4 hours, call a physician.

:p

Dems don't caucus in Alaska on Tuesday so if you don't care about Alaska (and who does, really?) you can get to bed a bit earlier

CCS

Banned
If you stay up more than 4 hours, call a physician.

:p

Dems don't caucus in Alaska on Tuesday so if you don't care about Alaska (and who does, really?) you can get to bed a bit earlier

Oh you :p

Well it'll be about 2 or 3 here by the time we get results in Texas so I'm going to be up for quite a long time anyway. Just have to power on through.

We'll keep you up in chat figuratively and literally.

The chat is the main reason I'm staying up, can't miss live results with you guys.

I honestly don't see anyone else other than Kasich as VP. Reasons why:

- A Republican has never won the Presidency without Ohio

- Kasich is highly popular in Ohio

- Kasich has not attacked Trump and has actually defended him a bit during the debates. Last debate, when asked about Super Tuesday, he said something along the lines of Trump will be doing all the winning

- Has the do-no-harm quality of a VP. I can see him getting along with Trump just fine.

- Good pull on independents

Seriously, seems like a no-brainer to me. Before I thought Rubio could be it, but after his failure to grab Hispanic support and after the last debate, I don't see this anymore. Besides, he will not help Trump win Florida as Trump could do that on his own.

There were a couple of ads back in December by the Kasich campaign that not-so-subtly compared Trump to Hitler. He also mentioned he wouldn't support Trump as the nominee during some campaign event around the same time. Of course things change but I wouldn't say he never attacked Trump.

There were a couple of ads back in December by the Kasich campaign that not-so-subtly compared Trump to Hitler. He also mentioned he wouldn't support Trump as the nominee during some campaign event around the same time. Of course things change but I wouldn't say he never attacked Trump.

They're not ideologically aligned. Kasich is, on paper at least, a moderate republican. (In todays bat shit crazy party, at least). He doesn't approve of the Muslim ban or things lik ethat, although he seems to have softened on the whole idea of a wall.

Trump, if he actually wants to win and govern, needs someone like Kasich, but someone who is more in line with this thoughts on....whatever Trump thinks.

I'd never seen the "same since" map on 270towin, pretty interesting. It shows how the country has become slowly more and more polarized since the 60s. http://www.270towin.com/same-since-electoral-maps/
Bush/Gore essentially set where we are today. 2008 was a realignment of Virginia as a lean-blue state and North Carolina as a swing state but otherwise it's essentially the same.

2016 could be interesting because it could put states in play that otherwise wouldn't be.

The day Idaho goes blue is the day I know things have truly changed. Not since Johnson's landslide in 1964. Nuts.

Did we ever figure out what happened to Indiana in 2008? How in the hell did Obama end up winning that? I was legit shock at that, and it still surprises me to this day.

NeoXChaos

Bush/Gore essentially set where we are today. 2008 was a realignment of Virginia as a lean-blue state and North Carolina as a swing state but otherwise it's essentially the same.

2016 could be interesting because it could put states in play that otherwise wouldn't be.

How did Carter not win OK when he won everything else down there?

The day Idaho goes blue is the day I know things have truly changed. Not since Johnson's landslide in 1964. Nuts.

The states Johnson last won have gotten even more conservative.

Did we ever figure out what happened to Indiana in 2008? How in the hell did Obama end up winning that? I was legit shock at that, and it still surprises me to this day.
He fought for it hard and got the college kids out to vote. Indiana was scared about the economy and wanted someone different. It was a very unique circumstance that may never be duplicated.

AFAIK:

1. Massive turnout from Indiana's cities.
2. Obama bothered to put money and infrastructure in and contest the state.
3. Bleed over favorite son effect. Supposedly Indiana shares media markets with a lot of Illinois so any positive local press and enthusiasm bled over.

He fought for it hard and got the college kids out to vote. Indiana was scared about the economy and wanted someone different. It was a very unique circumstance that may never be duplicated.

AFAIK:

3. Bleed over favorite son effect. Supposedly Indiana shares media markets with a lot of Illinois so any positive local press and enthusiasm bled over.

Thanks. It was just such a weird thing to see a Dem take it. We lost the Senate seat, so there were ticket splitters. Just...interesting.

Holmes

AFAIK:

The Chicago media market spills into the north-western corner of Indiana, which is where the Gary metro is located. Much more African-American than the rest of Indiana. It's where the Jacksons are from too.

Rubenov

Yeah, I was referring to the debates, where Kasich refused to attack him and has even been cordial to him.

Also, both Christie and LePage said awful things about Trump and they both ended up endorsing him.

For everyone who suffered from running into the brick wall of reality in 2004, the republican freakout in 2012 was one of the most glorious and cathartic experiences I've ever seen. It was so obviously coming, and they were so perfectly wrapped up in their bubble to see it. It was glorious.

the funniest to me was republican commentators on twitter/fox etc were shocked Wisconsin, PA,NH didnt flip red

"butbut 2010 :( "

What should theoretically increase a Dem's chances of taking Indiana is the spillover in Chicago and Indianapolis wanting tighter gun restrictions, and therefore becoming more blue. I think we're a long ways off but Obama showed that it's not an impossible task.

The Indiana legislature however, is trying to ease restrictions on guns. The NRA has a very tight grip.

Something I've wondered but don't have an answer for: why are states like Minnesota and Iowa reliably blue while the Dakotas aren't? Culturally, they seem very similar, but I'm obviously ignorant about some differentiating factor.

Something I've wondered but don't have an answer for: why are states like Minnesota and Iowa reliably blue while the Dakotas aren't? Culturally, they seem very similar, but I'm obviously ignorant aslbout some differentiating factor.

They're less urbanized. Take away the major cities and Minnesota/Iowa wouldn't be blue.

The Dakotas are very, very rural. Folks that live rurally tend be more conservative.

I know it's just anecdotal but my brother works in the oil fields in North Dakota and he said everyone he knows at his job hates Obama because they think he's going to close the fields one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom