• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
What're the chances of rust belt states flipping to Trump? Normally there'd be no worry but since he likes to talk about tariffs there's a possibility that a lot of white union members could jump to the other side.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Something I've wondered but don't have an answer for: why are states like Minnesota and Iowa reliably blue while the Dakotas aren't? Culturally, they seem very similar, but I'm obviously ignorant about some differentiating factor.
Iowa broke for Bush in 2004 so I wouldn't say they're THAT reliable. Even NH has gone blue the last three elections.

NeoXChaos

but how did Tom Dascle, Bill Nelson, Kent Conrad, Byron Dorgan etc get elected in those states when their states always went red on a Presidential level?

What're the chances of rust belt states flipping to Trump? Normally there'd be no worry but since he likes to talk about tariffs there's a possibility that a lot of white union members could jump to the other side.

Depends on how many believe him and how many can deal with his rhetoric. The union bosses will side with Clinton most likely but it may be a tough sell.

The Dakotas are very, very rural. Folks that live rurally tend be more conservative.

I know it's just anecdotal but my brother works in the oil fields in North Dakota and he said everyone he knows at his job hates Obama because they think he's going to close the fields one day.

People in WV (my home state) have a similar attitude re: coal.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Although what Donald Trump Republicans actually want other than a big effing wall and state approved racism is beyond me.

Ask yourself if it makes America great again. If yes they want it.

Bonus points if it's demeaning to another person or group of people.

Georgia was more closer in 2012 than AZ, MO or MT.

Don't know if that will be the case in 2016. Trump has been blowing Clinton and Sanders out in the (early) Georgia GE polling while starkly underperforming other Republicans in (early) Arizona polling. He'll probably win both in the end regardless.

Ask yourself if it makes America great again. If yes they want it.

Bonus points if it's demeaning to another person or group of people.

I want to make American grapes again.

SO we can have more wine.

Basically, I just want to get shit faced again.

USA! USA! USA!

Don't know if that will be the case in 2016. Trump has been blowing Clinton and Sanders out in the (early) Georgia GE polling while starkly underperforming other Republicans in (early) Arizona polling. He'll probably win both in the end regardless.

She's down 9 to Trump in Georgia. Obama lost it by 8 in 2012. That's really not bad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/u...e-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

A very interesting New York Times article about Trump's support. Spoiler alert: it's racists.

0WaZLW7.jpg

zargle

While we are all asking about why certain states typically vote certain ways, I have been wondering why Arkansas is always red on every map I see with Hillary involved. I know Bill was governor quite a bit ago, but is there any chance that has an effect on the race there? It even seems to be red in people's fantasy landslide maps.

Rubio on MSNBC. He's basically pushing for a brokered convention.

Hahahaahahaha.

"Donald Trump will never be the nominee of the party of Reagan and Lincoln."

sphagnum

Banned
Depends on how many believe him and how many can deal with his rhetoric. The union bosses will side with Clinton most likely but it may be a tough sell.

That's what I'm most worried about. Since the Dems more or less abandoned labor outside of some occasional bone-throwing, an anti-free-trade nationalist like Trump can be very appealing to white union members. It's not like unions are necessarily a hotbed of radicalism these days, so there's no particular reason that union members would feel loyalty to social progressivism and therefore feel obligated to vote Democratic. Especially if Trump plays up that Bill is responsible for NAFTA and ties Hillary to it.

It's really kind of weird that we're just taking for granted that these voters are going to stay blue.

That's what I'm most worried about. Since the Dems more or less abandoned labor outside of some occasional bone-throwing, an anti-free-trade nationalist like Trump can be very appealing to white union members. It's not like unions are necessarily a hotbed of radicalism these days, so there's no particular reason that union members would feel loyalty to social progressivism and therefore feel obligated to vote Democratic. Especially if Trump plays up that Bill is responsible for NAFTA and ties Hillary to it.

It's really kind of weird that we're just taking for granted that these voters are going to stay blue.

Well, if he's exposed as a conman fraud, that could change things. I'm not counting on them staying blue though. This is probably going to be a fight.

While we are all asking about why certain states typically vote certain ways, I have been wondering why Arkansas is always red on every map I see with Hillary involved. I know Bill was governor quite a bit ago, but is there any chance that has an effect on the race there? It even seems to be red in people's fantasy landslide maps.

I don't think they like Bill that much to change how they've voted since he's been gone. It's also not much in the electoral college so she probably won't even contest it. It's just not worth it.

Hahahaahahaha.

Man, that's the first time in a while I've heard Raygun and Lincoln mentioned in the same sentence and it makes me want to vomit.

The shit that is spewing from Rubios mouth must make his asshole jealous.

Seriously I support delusion, but come the hell on brah. Take the L.

Rubio has insulted voters this entire time. He literally called them stupid. And that he hoped they would have woken up.

Hahahaha.

Ugh. It's too early for a pre-lunch cocktail, right?

Didn't democrats/republicans switch after Lincoln freed the slaves?

FDR re-aligned the Democratic party to be more like it is today. Entitlement programs, more progressive social issues. Economically liberal.

What really changed was LBJ fighting for and signing the Civil Rights Act, and Nixon's Southern Strategy. This pushed the Democrats to fight for more progressive social issues, while Republicans took the idea of saying that segregation is okay, and that we should be more conservative on social issues.

It's more like the party of Nixon than it is of Lincoln.

Rubio totally argued that he will be the nominee even if he never wins a single state, because of delegates.

Someone needs to teach him how to proportional. I don't think he knows how to proportional.

FDR re-aligned the Democratic party to be more like it is today. Entitlement programs, more progressive social issues. Economically liberal.

What really changed was LBJ fighting for and signing the Civil Rights Act, and Nixon's Southern Strategy. This pushed the Democrats to fight for more progressive social issues, while Republicans took the idea of saying that segregation is okay, and that we should be more conservative on social issues.

Nixon was way too pro-labor and pragmatic for the GOP to be the party of Nixon (it's the party of Gingrich?), but yes, it's closer to Nixon than Lincoln.

Kyosaiga

Banned

And yet FDR has more in common with Eisenhower and he was less than a decade after FDR's death.

What the hell were the GOPs stances in the 40s then? Because it seems, on the surface, that before the CRA was passed there was a LOT of overlap between the two parties.

Grief.exe

Thanks for helping with the gaps in my politicall knowledge.

And yet FDR has more in common with Eisenhower and he was less than a decade after FDR's death.

What the hell were the GOPs stances in the 40s then? Because it seems, on the surface, that before the CRA was passed there was a LOT of overlap between the two parties.

From my understanding, it used to be more fluid. Drawing similarities to Trump, where candidates could have slightly different beliefs and value systems.

During Reagan/Clinton years did the parties become increasingly polarizing, and I'd argue that media magnates such as Fox News and Rush Limbaugh further drove that wedge between the parties.

Hopfrog

GOP was pretty much the anti-New Deal party in the 1940s. The war meant that their foreign policy aligned with Democrats in most ways, stronger on the anti-Communism, but they were also focused on turning back labor rights, ex. Taft-Hartley. This was also the period in which conservative thinkers, specifically in fields like economics, started to organize with business leaders (read Kim Phillips-Fein's Invisible Hands for some good background), but their effects would not be felt for a while.

Teggy

Hahahaahahaha.

Hey Marco, when was the last time the Republicans would have nominated a candidate with the values of Reagan or Lincoln?

Eisenhower's campaign mojo was basically "take the good that the Democrats have done, be more efficient about it"

Eisenhower was so popular that both parties asked him to run as their candidate. He could have easily been a Democrat if he wanted to.

TiVo

Had an argument with a co-worker when Trump first started running.

All the shit Trump was spewing he agreed with and I told him that the ones that believe Trump is the second coming will also turn on him and call him a Clinton plant. And he would have Fox news lumped into the "lame-stream media category".

So funny to listen to Chris Plant, Mark Levin & Rush become part of the machine trying to take down Trump after building him up.

Gruco

Banned
AFAIK:

1. Massive turnout from Indiana's cities.
2. Obama bothered to put money and infrastructure in and contest the state.
3. Bleed over favorite son effect. Supposedly Indiana shares media markets with a lot of Illinois so any positive local press and enthusiasm bled over.

This, plus a lot of it was carryover from the contested primary. Obama invested HARD in Indiana early.

At that time both party platforms were generally pro-civil rights, but they tended to be a bit vague about it and each had significant dissident factions (Spoiler Alert:
based largely in the South
). It's how, for example, Strom Thurmond (then a Democrat) won several southern states in 1948 under the banner of the "States' Rights Democratic Party." If you look at the votes in Congress on LBJ's civil rights legislation, they split more along regional lines than party lines.

Thanks. It was just such a weird thing to see a Dem take it. We lost the Senate seat, so there were ticket splitters. Just...interesting.
There was no Senate election in Indiana in 08. Dems lost Evan Bayh's seat in 2010.

They did however lose the governor's seat, but Mitch Daniels was so popular there was no way he would lose anyway.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eisenhower's campaign mojo was basically "take the good that the Democrats have done, be more efficient about it"

Eisenhower was so popular that both parties asked him to run as their candidate. He could have easily been a Democrat if he wanted to.

That also speaks to how big a presence FDR was in the US, even after he died he continued to influence the direction of the country.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I can't find it, but I read an article some time in the last year that real delved into the Republican Party before the Southern Strategy made it what it is now. From my recollection the party was basically split between liberals in the north and the more conservative branch like Barry Goldwater. Like others have said the Civil Rights act unified the party and established a platform they all follow.

I think the party has started to unhinge around the coalition made around the Civil Rights Act. My own personal experience with that is a woman in her twenties I met threw Occupy that is a gay libertarian Democrat. Social issues is that's really hurting them with younger people and it's not simply just younger people automatically skewing Democrat. I think it's a bit overstated:
Generations1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom