• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
CfP2l16WwAAI97r.jpg

RgZXvkg.gif

would it be wrong to read this as a desperate attempt to praise Lincoln without saying how he helped abolished slavery.

ivysaur12

Banned
John Oliver's bit on congressional fundraising was great.

No one seems to be talking about it but I think he did a great job showing the difficulty trying to make good in Washington. I really enjoyed Chris Murphy's honesty on the matter.

Chris Murphy is a good dude. Much better than the mess that is Dannel Malloy.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's amazing it took The Daily News to be the one to push Sanders for specifics. It just goes along with the narrative, at least here, that he has not been vetted for being President.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Holy cow that whole interview really is a mess

That's putting it mildly. When you've been on Wall Street Reform your entire career you should absolutely be able to talk about the specifics off the cuff. It was embarrassing, I don't even know what to say after reading it. He doesn't belong in the cabinet, let alone the oval office.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is that threadworthy? I know the whole goddamn OT is sick to the gills of Hillary/Sanders stuff, but that interview is important. More important than some of the bullshit I've made threads about

Nebraska just went winner take all for its electoral votes. I guess I am OK with this, as long as maine does it as well once they get a governor up with some level of sanity.

EDIT: to be clear, their unicameral just passed the bill. Just needs to be signed, which it will.

In principle I prefer all states to allocate their electoral votes the same way, and for a variety of reasons (including but not limited to gerrymandering) I prefer winner-take-all over dividing by congressional district. I've been OK with Maine and Nebraska doing it their way since both are small, relatively homogenous states that are unlikely to split in a case where it would effect the outcome, i.e., where the candidates are both close to 270. But ultimately I'm pretty happy to see them get rid of it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Bernie has managed to get me from "this guy's okay" to actively pissed off in about six months. That's impressive

If the proverbial hell froze over, and he won the nomination. I'd have a difficult time voting for him over a possible Bloomberg entry into the election. I'd still vote for him over Trump though. That interview sealed that notion, as someone in the other thread pointed out, if he knows so little about his passionate subjects, what about the other parts of the presidency?

Lol that interview read like Hillary-GAF fanfiction. I DONT BUY IT. #ReleaseTheAudios

Well, that's certainly one way to go about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is that threadworthy? I know the whole goddamn OT is sick to the gills of Hillary/Sanders stuff, but that interview is important. More important than some of the bullshit I've made threads about

Yea, I'd say so. Half the threads that get made on the election are total crap, but this is rather important. I think a mod should OK it though so it doesn't get locked within three pages.

If the proverbial hell froze over, and he won the nomination. I'd have a difficult time voting for him over a possible Bloomberg entry into the election. I'd still vote for him over Trump though. That interview sealed that notion, as someone in the other thread pointed out, if he knows so little about his passionate subjects, what about the other parts of the presidency?.

Honestly, I'd go Bloomberg over him and I lived through his bullshit. At least he knew how to keep things on the rails.

royalan

How is just now in the primary process that these questions are being asked of him? Or maybe I missed him answering them in this level of specificity earlier?

Because the media has been doing nothing but kissing the entirety of his ass this entire time! Both cheeks, and don't forget the crack!

Because the media has been desperately trying to cover up the fact that the man's a hack in order to further the narrative that he's a serious candidate and a threat to Hillary.

That interview was infuriating. Hillary's been getting dogged for specifics for her plans since DAY ONE. Meanwhile, Bernie's been getting such thought-provoking questions like, "So, do you hate big banks? Or do you really hate big banks?"

Perhaps he doesn't want to piss off the 20% pro Slavery portion of his base

GAF threads about the Civil War are always fun, since you always get one or two people who twist the facts like a pretzel to try and blame the North. The last one I remember actually had someone seriously referring to it as "The War of Northern Aggression."

User1608

Banned
Bernie has managed to get me from "this guy's okay" to actively pissed off in about six months. That's impressive
Same here. And now I know he's... Kind of ignorant. Disappointing. He used to be my favorite politician from my former perception he was honest and well versed in the issues facing the country and world...but no.

T'Zariah

Banned
Because the media has been doing nothing but kissing his entirety of his ass this entire time! Both cheeks, and don't forget the crack!

Because the media has been desperately trying to cover up the act that the man's a hack in order to further the narrative that he's a serious candidate and a threat to Hillary.

That interview was infuriating. Hillary's been getting dogged for specific for her plans since DAY ONE. Meanwhile, Bernie's been getting such thought-provoking questions like, "So, do you hate big banks? Or do you really hate big banks?"

I genuinely think HRC has to have the largest self-esteem in the world. If I were subject to attacks and bullshit like she has for 20+ years, I'd have clinical depression on an unfathomable scale.

The idea that he figured he'd just be a message candidate and wasn't prepared for catching on to the extent that he did really makes sense. As a message candidate he's not too bad. The thought of him actually being the nominee? Yikes.

NeoXChaos

royalan's thread got locked by page three. That Hillary thread from Saturday night got locked in 2 pages. This thread will end the same.

The idea that he figured he'd just be a message candidate and wasn't prepared for catching on to the extent that he did really makes sense. As a message candidate he's not too bad. The thought of him actually being the nominee? Yikes.

Again, though, this is his message! How can you be a message candidate and not have even a basic understanding of the legality of your plan? That just doesn't make sense.

The Technomancer

I don't expect it to actually cause any real dialogue. Straight up: I posted it because I think its the sort of thing that more eyes need to be on. Its not really about the conversation that probably won't happen in the replies, I just want people to see it

I'm not exaggerating how important I find that interview

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
royalan's thread got locked by page three. That Hillary thread from Saturday night got locked in 2 pages. This thread will end the same.

Which is why I said check with a mod first, or let one make the thread.

I don't expect it to actually cause any real dialogue. Straight up: I posted it because I think its the sort of thing that more eyes need to be on. Its not really about the conversation, I just want people to see it

I'm not exaggerating how important I find that interview

I agree, but if it gets locked in a page it won't do much good.

Again, though, this is his message! How can you be a message candidate and not have even a basic understanding of the legality of your plan? That just doesn't make sense.

Oh, I'm not arguing. The reason I'm willing to say he's not too bad is that he does talk about some important big picture things (e.g. income inequality). The reason I don't say he's actually a good message candidate is, well, this.

royalan

I agree that it's thread worthy. I mean, I don't know how ANYBODY could read that interview and not think that Bernie is just way out of his depth, and to my knowledge this is the first time this entire primary that Bernie's been REALLY pressed for specifics, and he totally failed. People need to know that. I agree with Technomancer, this interview is important. That disastrous Trump interview got a thread, and I'd say this interview is worse, because the expectation is that Trump doesn't know up from down. No ol' Bernie.

But, yeah, I don't see the thread making it to page 5.

Don't make it a thread. You'll just piss off Bernie supporters who don't come in this thread. It'll be an endless cycle of garbage until it's locked.

NeoXChaos

I agree that it's thread worthy. I mean, I don't know how ANYBODY could read that interview and not think that Bernie is just way out of his depth, and to my knowledge this is the first time this entire primary that Bernie's been REALLY pressed for specifics, and he totally failed. People need to know that. I agree with Technomancer, this interview is important. That disastrous Trump interview got a thread, and I'd say this interview is worse, because that expectation is that Trump doesn't know up from down. No ol' Bernie.

But, yeah, I don't see the thread making it to page 5.

I mean your thread on Sanders supporters harassing Superdelegates was "thread worthy". Didn't stop it from getting locked in 3 pages.

He doesnt have to know every specific about everything. Politicians surround themselves with technocrats who guide them, Every president has.

I mean, does Obama understand the physics behind climate change to its more technical core?

Bernie still has the most solid, fair and honest message.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Don't make it a thread. You'll just piss off Bernie supporters who don't come in this thread. It'll be an endless cycle of garbage until it's locked.

Too late, he did it. It's going as expected.

He doesnt have to know every specific about everything. Politicians surround themselves with technocrats who guide them, Every president has.

I mean, does Obama understand the physics behind climate change to its more technical core?

He's been talking about these issues for years. How can you not learn about the details on the way? I mean, I've learned about so much shit over the years just by keeping my ears open and paying attention. The man is a US Senator running for president, he has to be better than that.

Makai

I feel like "threadworthy" usually means "might rile people up."

I gotta see the rest of that Woodward interview. Seems ridiculous.

This is is one issue. This is the one thing he goes on and on and on about. He said this is the thing that he's going to do in the first year of his presidency. The fact that he doesn't even know how to do it, nor if it's legal is a huge freaking thing. He's going around promising he's going to do something he doesn't seem to know he can or can't do. It's a problem.

Also, I question his willingness or ability to listen to anyone who doesn't immediately agree with him on everything. it took until last month to actually hire a foreign policy adviser...and that was the issue he, literally, knew next to nothing about. This is supposed to be his bread and butter and he's completely out of his depth on his core issue!

The Technomancer

No, but if you asked Obama off the cuff in an interview about some of the proposals he'd like to see the global community embrace I suspect his answer would be more detailed than "we have to stop polluting and we need to make sure that happens"

Holmes

It's ok that Sanders doesn't understand the legal and economic implications and consequences of breaking up all the big banks just 'cause, because he's the only honest candidate and cares about everyday people like us. I'm voting Mike Beitiks for Senate after I'm done facebanking the good people of New York City.

being a scientist and understand the rather complex systems of climate change is pretty fucking different than not knowing about case law and if your entire premiss is even fucking possible.

NeoXChaos

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 9m9 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Nathaniel St. Clair
Yeah, a critique of Sanders ≠ an endorsement of HRC.Jamelle Bouie added,
Nathaniel St. Clair @NatStClair
@jbouie Clinton is going to utilize the system to beat it? What's she done in her career to signal that. She is an embodiment of the system.
bouie Retweeted
Brian Sears ‏@TaoSpoons 14m14 minutes ago
@jbouie Starting a movement is one thing. Building it into an organization that lasts and enacts change is something else entirely.
Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 16m16 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Infinite Cest
*nods*Jamelle Bouie added,
Infinite Cest @incestguy
@jbouie that's not good-faith opposition you fucking idiot, drink bleach

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 16m16 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Eric Deamer
lol no it isn't. it's an argument that you have to know the system to utilize it and beat it.Jamelle Bouie added,
Eric Deamer @ericdeamer
@jbouie Everything you're saying is basically an argument that nothing but establishment, centrist policies should be even tried.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 17m17 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Arvind Ashok
I do, and I think that is vital and necessary. But I do not believe it is sufficient.Jamelle Bouie added,
Arvind Ashok @arvind_ash
@jbouie Do you believe that grassroots movements + revolutionary rhetoric can shift overall discourse/force consideration of ignored issues?

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 18m18 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Eric Deamer
Yep, that's it. That's me, the tepid neoliberal.Jamelle Bouie added,
Eric Deamer @ericdeamer
Or maybe you just don't want to see anything other than tepid neoliberalism succeed? https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/717196757977927680 …

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 21m21 minutes ago
And yes, that leads me to be skeptical of claims that the system can be overcome through "tough deals" or "revolution."

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 22m22 minutes ago
My approach to politics can be summed up as "Pluralism is real, opposition is real, and you have to deal with the system as it exists."

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 23m23 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted T.B., Esq.
Yep, that's it. I just hate Bernie Sanders so much.Jamelle Bouie added,
T.B., Esq. @TrillBellichek
@ibflorea @jbouie you seem earnest. Bouie, like so many writers who don't like Sanders, are using strawmen under the guise of pragmatism.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 41m41 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Trevor Railey
Yes.Jamelle Bouie added,
Trevor Railey @Trailey7
@jbouie do you think Sanders' unwillingness to fundraise for the party to this point is a bad thing? Can't implement his policy by himself

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 43m43 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Anthony G
Because Sanders is the only one who replies "political revolution."Jamelle Bouie added,
Anthony G @Anthgn
@jbouie Can say this about every cand, why do i hear it only in regard to Sanders? History of getting bipartisan support on tons of amends.

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 48m48 minutes ago
And Bernie Sanders refuses to answer the question of "what do you do next?" If you back him, doesn't this concern in the least?

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 48m48 minutes ago
Maybe it *should* be enough. But in American government as it exists, it isn't. So what do you do next?

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 49m49 minutes ago
And that they are things *privileged* in the American system. So it actually isn't enough to say you'll have "the people" behind you.
Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 49m49 minutes ago
I am not saying that "Sanders has bad ideas." I am saying, political opposition is a thing. Entrenched interests are a thing.
View conversation 25 retweets 57 likes

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 54m54 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Ben
For the same reason I care about everyone's campaign rhetoric, it matters.Jamelle Bouie added,
Ben @bernie16info
@jbouie why do you seem to only care about his campaign rhetoric and not past history of relatively effective legislating?

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 58m58 minutes ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Woke Street Exec
If you want Sanders to accomplish anything maybe he should be pressured for details beyond "political revolution."Jamelle Bouie added,
Woke Street Exec @ActuallyImGood
we all know the 22 yo service industry worker waiting for a strat white paper from Sanders on interest grp oppo to free college @jbouie

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 1h1 hour ago
Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Michael Oman-Reagan
There is so much wrong with this.Jamelle Bouie added,
Michael Oman-Reagan @OmanReagan
This seems to miss the way that opposition to our own best interests is manufactured by the establishment interests.
https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/717184808468750340 …

The price of not dealing with them is seeing good ideas—single-payer health insurance, free college—go down in flames.

They don't become irrelevant because you have "the people"—a vague, unhelpful concept—on your side. You have to actually deal with them.

In American Constitutional government, political minorities have a vital say. Interests of all sorts have a say.

There is a non-trivial chance that Sanders becomes president. We are at the stage where we should take his rhetoric seriously.

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Fankoosh
This is dumb.Jamelle Bouie added,
Fankoosh @Fankoosh
@jbouie @rev_avocado many people used to have lots of $ in slaves, was their opposition to abolition reasonable?

I see no evidence that Sanders has really reckoned with what happens when millions of well-meaning Americans push their reps to oppose him.

What people say in an opinion poll says little about how folks will actually react to massive changes in the status quo.

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted Alex in Brooklyn
Yes, this too. How does Sanders handle the predictable and *reasonable* opposition to his agenda?Jamelle Bouie added,
Alex in Brooklyn @rev_avocado
@jbouie Same on healthcare. Single-payer would suppress provider incomes, lay of 100,000s in the sector. How to deal with that opposition?

Is every stakeholder in the status quo a tool of "special interests?"

Jamelle Bouie Retweeted
Will Cubbison ‏@wccubbison 1h1 hour ago
@jbouie clearer example is health care, which he has been asked about by nurses and doctors at town halls and has no answer

How would President Sanders suddenly deal with sustained pressure and opposition to his plans for college from many Americans?

Does Sanders believe there's such a thing as good faith opposition to his agenda?

preach. soooooooooooooooo goood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom