• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Sanders move his big park rally then?
He doesnt have to know every specific about everything. Politicians surround themselves with technocrats who guide them, Every president has.

I mean, does Obama understand the physics behind climate change to its more technical core?

Bernie still has the most solid, fair and honest message.
Obama understands the concept of governing in prose. At his core he's basically a technocrat himself. He isn't innately averse to policy details - I'd say he's pretty intellectually curious about policy.

These are not things that come across with Sanders. This interview exemplifies the opposite.

Where's the interview where Bernie explains how his supporters will protest outside of their representative's buildings and call their offices in order to get free college and socialized healthcare through?

watershed

Banned
I think there is an issue here. This would be like if Obama in 08 didn't actually have a plan for implementing the stimulus or have any idea of what healthcare reform would look like. Even with the tenuous nature of politics and legislation, candidate Obama knew that he wanted congress to pass a massive spending bill with investments in all areas including infrastructure, energy, local pork barrel projects, and a middle class tax cut. He also knew that healthcare reform would include expanding medicare, subsidiaries, state run marketplaces, etc. Bernie really sounds like he doesn't have a plan for breaking up the big banks beyond somehow, without knowing the lagal mechanism, breaking them up. I feel like Bernie has correctly diagnosed a problem but has no viable solution.

Edit: wrong thread.

pigeon

Banned
He doesnt have to know every specific about everything. Politicians surround themselves with technocrats who guide them, Every president has.

The more we talk about Bernie Sanders the more we reduce him to an everyday, normal politician.

But on those grounds, do you trust Bernie's approach to hiring? Has he struck you as being super effective at picking, say, good campaign managers? Because that's the key skill for a technocrat picker!

CfPCHZjW8AEgFRu.jpg

Have you ever been to the South?

mississippi and south carolina will not turn blue

Trump would increase turnout in those areas

Drakeon

Have you ever been to the South?

mississippi and south carolina will not turn blue

Trump would increase turnout in those areas
Trump might also increases the Democratic turnout in those areas, to be completely fair. Disclaimer: I've never been to the south.

It's really refreshing how much more politically informed PoliGAF is compared to OT. You guys are my light in the darkness.

The thing is, I used to be at the same point a lot of those posters were. I spent the entire summer of '04 arguing w/ people on a message board that Kerry was going to pull this off and Bush was so horrible that of course people are going to vote him out and blah blah blah.

Again, though, this is his message! How can you be a message candidate and not have even a basic understanding of the legality of your plan? That just doesn't make sense.

Message candidate is a misnomer. He's an emotion candidate, same as Donald Trump. The message boils down to "things aren't fair and it's not your fault," except instead of "be angry at Muslims and Mexicans" it's "be angry at Wall Street." It's all rhetoric based around the idea that someone else is the only thing standing between you and success. It justifies rage and places blame on some monolithic group that can be vilified without thinking about the consequences of your actions. It's not even remotely as bad as Trump because it's not based on pure bigotry and white nationalism (and there's some measure of truth to decrying the greed of Wall Street), but it's still an inherently illogical appeal to emotion. It doesn't stand up to logical scrutiny because it's a fallacy. But people who are drawn to that argument don't care about that; that's not why the argument appeals to them. So as painful as that interview is to read, I don't know that it's going to sway the mind of a Bernie supporter who buys into the "down with Wall Street" rhetoric and doesn't care that Sanders doesn't actually have a specific plan.

Incidentally, one of the most telling parts of that whole interview was him talking about Hillary as an "establishment" Democrat. She needs to go because she represents the "establishment" and the establishment can't make the changes needed. Well every other Democrat in office represents the establishment too. Which might explain why he isn't interested in supporting downticket races; he sees them all as supporters of the status quo, and that doesn't square with his rhetoric of a "revolution." He just assumes that if people vote for him against potentially the worst major political party nominee since McGovern, that every Democrat is going to march lockstep to his revolution? When he has offered no material support whatsoever? Does he understand politics at all?

Bernies Israel comments were interesting to say the least.

It seems like he is almost there on being progressive/ Green Party like on the issue before giving up and just saying. "Bah, let them do what they want idgaf".

Still not that bad considering most other US politicians stances on the matter. You can do worse

Maengun1

I said "Fuck Bernie" the moment he replied "We'll see" to whether he would support local democrats.

Yeah, a year ago I was going to be satisfied with Clinton as the nominee but was planning to vote for Sanders if he was still around for my state, and my general attitude on him was "love that guy, would love for him to be President, but there's literally a 0% chance so I'm not gonna get my hopes up."

Now I'm like "I'm cool with you going back to the Senate to do your thing, but emphasis on go away. And shutttttuppppppppp"

ivysaur12

Banned
Let's be real: Linda McMahon would be one of the few people who could lose to Dannel Malloy.

Ugh, I hate the name Dannel.

Yeah, a year ago I was going to be satisfied with Clinton as the nominee but was planning to vote for Sanders if he was still around for my state, and my general attitude on him was "love that guy, would love for him to be President, but there's literally a 0% chance so I'm not gonna get my hopes up."

Now I'm like "I'm cool with you going back to the Senate to do your thing, but emphasis on go away. And shutttttuppppppppp"

This is me.

The more we talk about Bernie Sanders the more we reduce him to an everyday, normal politician.

But on those grounds, do you trust Bernie's approach to hiring? Has he struck you as being super effective at picking, say, good campaign managers? Because that's the key skill for a technocrat picker!

You can question the moral stands of Divine and these other dudes around Sanders, but they made a fringe, message candidate into a candidate who is about to win his 16th state.
I trust Sanders judgment.

I mean, yes, he is probably not as knowledgeable as he should be. Maybe too dreamy like most anti-capitalists are. But, idk, if it takes Sanders to win the primaries to make the democrats understand that they have not lost the economic argument; that it is ok to go back to their roots; that Reagan is dead and his consensus will soon be too...so be it.

The thing is, I used to be at the same point a lot of those posters were. I spent the entire summer of '04 arguing w/ people on a message board that Kerry was going to pull this off and Bush was so horrible that of course people are going to vote him out and blah blah blah.

"Undecideds always break for the challenger! We've got this!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You can question the moral stands of Divine and these other dudes around Sanders, but they made a fringe, message candidate into a candidate who is about to win his 16th state.
I trust Sanders judgment.

I mean, yes, he is probably not as knowledgeable as he should be. Maybe too dreamy like most anti-capitalists are. But, idk, if it takes Sanders to win the primaries to make the democrats understand that they have not lost the economic argument; that it is ok to go back to their roots; that Reagan is dead and his consensus will soon be too...so be it.

He's the only competition in a two-man race, of course he won some states. It'd be insane if he didn't win anything.

"Undecideds always break for the challenger! We've got this!"
It still gives me a kick whenever people treat the "Incumbent under 50 means they'll lose" as some ironclad rule.

Because then you'll have instances where the incumbent is at like 49 and the challenger at 20 and they're like "THEY'RE UNDER 50, TOSSUP"

It still gives me a kick whenever people treat the "Incumbent under 50 means they'll lose" as some ironclad rule.

Because then you'll have instances where the incumbent is at like 49 and the challenger at 20 and they're like "THEY'RE UNDER 50, TOSSUP"

DC
Clinton 49
Sanders 1

DEAD HEAT

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was 13 in 2004 and even I knew Kerry didn't have a chance. I wasn't politically smart by any means, but looking back I've been politically aware at least most of my life.

johnsmith

remember me
Where's the interview where Bernie explains how his supporters will protest outside of their representative's buildings and call their offices in order to get free college and socialized healthcare through?

This issue hasn't gotten nearly enough attention, because it's as delusional as Trump's wall.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...Bernie-Sanders-wins-the-White-House-Then-what

Assuming, you know, Republicans still control one or, you know, frighteningly, two bodies of the Congress.
What we do is you put an issue before Congress, let’s just use free tuition at public colleges and universities, and that vote is going to take place on November 8 ... whatever it may be. We tell millions and millions of people, young people and their parents, there is going to be a vote ... half the people don’t know what’s going on ... but we tell them when the vote is, maybe we welcome a million young people to Washington, D.C. to say hello to their members of Congress. Maybe we have the telephones and the e-mails flying all over the place so that everybody in America will know how their representative is voting. [...]

And then Republicans are going to have to make a decision. Then they’re going to have to make a decision. You know, when thousands of young people in their district are saying, “You vote against this, you’re out of your job, because we know what’s going on.” So this gets back to what a political revolution is about, is bringing people in touch with the Congress, not having that huge wall. That’s how you bring about change.​

2004 was my Berniebro year.

I couldn't believe we were going to re-elect Shrub the Lesser. I was active on a Harry Potter website and live blogged the results. I knew we were going to win with that absolute certainty of youth. My dad kept telling me I was setting myself up for disappointment, but I didn't listen.

Ugh.

He's the only competition in a two-man race, of course he won some states. It'd be insane if he didn't win anything.

You can question if Divine is the architect of Bernies success or if he is actually detrimental to the campaign, instead of denying whats obvious: Bernie is a real challenger, in between Ted Kennedy and Clinton 08.

Bill Clinton / Gore / Kerry didnt face a similar challenge.

This issue hasn't gotten nearly enough attention, because it's as delusional as Trump's wall.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...Bernie-Sanders-wins-the-White-House-Then-what

Assuming, you know, Republicans still control one or, you know, frighteningly, two bodies of the Congress.
What we do is you put an issue before Congress, let’s just use free tuition at public colleges and universities, and that vote is going to take place on November 8 ... whatever it may be. We tell millions and millions of people, young people and their parents, there is going to be a vote ... half the people don’t know what’s going on ... but we tell them when the vote is, maybe we welcome a million young people to Washington, D.C. to say hello to their members of Congress. Maybe we have the telephones and the e-mails flying all over the place so that everybody in America will know how their representative is voting. [...]

And then Republicans are going to have to make a decision. Then they’re going to have to make a decision. You know, when thousands of young people in their district are saying, “You vote against this, you’re out of your job, because we know what’s going on.” So this gets back to what a political revolution is about, is bringing people in touch with the Congress, not having that huge wall. That’s how you bring about change.​

But there wouldn't even be a vote if republicans were in charge of the house...?

Ugh. Frankly disgusting coming from a member of the legislature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom