• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie will stay in until the end, giving people who aren't satisfied with Hillary an outlet to display that dissatisfaction while still participating in the election. Hillary will win without a problem, Bernie will endorse her, and she'll crush Trump/Cruz. Everything is going to be fine.

This "party above all" attitude some of you guys have is bizarre and creepy as fuck. It's why I always roll my eyes at the "he's not even a real democrat" attack on Sanders. It's a political party, not a cult. It's not above all criticism. Support it when it supports your political positions and apply pressure to change when it doesn't, that's how politics works. Not by worshipping the one true religion of Democratic Orthodoxy.

The Bernie above all cult is much more vocal and dangerous in the long term.

Krowley

Bernie will stay in until the end, giving people who aren't satisfied with Hillary an outlet to display that dissatisfaction while still participating in the election. Hillary will win without a problem, Bernie will endorse her, and she'll crush Trump/Cruz. Everything is going to be fine.

This "party above all" attitude some of you guys have is bizarre and creepy as fuck. It's why I always roll my eyes at the "he's not even a real democrat" attack on Sanders. It's a political party, not a cult. It's not above all criticism. Support it when it supports your political positions and apply pressure to change when it doesn't, that's how politics works. Not by worshipping the one true religion of Democratic Orthodoxy.

I agree 1-million percent with all of this. This reverence for a political party honestly weirds me out.

The fact that Bernie is an insurgent candidate with no particular love for any political party is one of the most appealing things about him. I wish he would scorch the earth more TBH.

I mentioned that Bernie's vote against TARP was a major strike against him in my book. The medium article articulates it well:

He has the right general ideas about things, but he's just not very wise.

I agree 1-million percent with all of this. This reverence for a political party honestly weirds me out.

The fact that Bernie is an insurgent candidate with no particular love for any political party is one of the most appealing things about him. I wish he would scorch the earth more TBH.

You're familiar with the Democratic Party? It has nothing to do with ideological purity.

User 406

Banned
In other news, Jill Stein is sweeping the Green Party primary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Party_presidential_primaries,_2016

I wanna see the guy who hates fake green Jill Stein and the corrupt Green Party for their establishment cronyism because they never nominate his true green insurgent candidate. You know they're out there.

And I think I have a simple easy solution to the corrosive problem of private citizens having the inconvenient right to seek employment anywhere when they're not in office or running for office.

Just pass a law declaring that working or contracting for the banking or financial industries is a felony.

It's perfect. Wall Street fatcats and the people they give money to will no longer be eligible to run for office (or vote in some jurisdictions) and will no longer be capable of perverting democracy. Since federal prisons for white collar crime are pretty cushy already, there could also be a provision that allows for resort vacations to count as time served, as long as the facilities meet quality standards by putting up a token chain link fence. The citizens of the US will have an untouchable caste to handle the filthy disgraceful work of finance, and the wealthy won't be touched by the poors anymore. Hillary will get double jail! And Y2Kev will get his tax cut ankle monitor! Everyone wins!

royalan

What part of threatening to sue the DNC for holding legal fundraisers, fundraisers that Bernie Sanders has in the past benefited from, applying pressure?

These are sore loser tactics. Nothing less, and damn sure nothing more.

Just pass a law declaring that working or contracting for the banking or financial industries is a felony.

It's perfect. Wall Street fatcats and the people they give money to will no longer be eligible to run for office (or vote in some jurisdictions) and will no longer be capable of perverting democracy. Since federal prisons for white collar crime are pretty cushy already, there could also be a provision that allows for resort vacations to count as time served, as long as the facilities meet quality standards by putting up a token chain link fence. The citizens of the US will have an untouchable caste to handle the filthy disgraceful work of finance, and the wealthy won't be touched by the poors anymore. Hillary will get double jail! And Y2Kev will get his tax cut ankle monitor! Everyone wins!

This is what Bernie writes in his journal at night.

Also, let's have some real talk for a minute:

You have two choices in this country: Democrat or Republican. Those are your choices. We can complain and say that's not how it should be, but that's neither here nor there. My thighs shouldn't double in size when I set down, but they do.

The Democratic party is the only way you're going to get actual progressive change in this country. Period. End of. Thank you and good night. Bernie has called the Democratic party morally bankrupt. He's said in the past that he would NEVER, EVER be a Democrat. (So he's a liar, one way or the other). The Democratic party is responsible for the things a lot of us love, like Social Security. The ACA. Marriage Equality. The end of Don't Ask Don't Tell. Dodd-Frank. The bailout. Saving the US economy from disaster.

Is it perfect? Hell to the no! We screw up a lot. That's fine. Call it out when it happens. But, you don't get to run to be the leader of the party and run against the party at the same damn time. At the very least, don't be openly hostile to it! Bernie has not walked that line well. He's running as an Independent in the Democratic party. It's not cute. It has real potential to actually hurt our chances in November.

CCS

Banned
The criticism of Hillary and the Democratic Party over fundraising is really weird.

The vast majority of the Democratic Party, including Hillary, would love for money to have less influence over politics. Overturning Citizens United would be celebrated by the entire Democratic Party, not just the anti-establishment wing. However, they still need to fundraise in the way they have been for the simple reason that money does currently have huge influence over politics.

You cannot fight an election based on what you want the system to be. You can only fight based on what it currently is. I don't disagree with the argument that money should have less influence, and neither do most Democrats. But whilst it does have this much influence, the fact is you need money to fight, to make the changes you want. You may not like the way the Democrat party raises money currently, but it is necessary if we are ever to get to a position where they don't have to.

The Democrats can only work with the world as it is, not with the world as we wish it was.

Trancos

I think you misunderstood my point, or to be honest I was bad at conveying it. The party should be a place where people with all kind of ideas get together, put aside their difference and work toward a common goal. From the moderates to the far left.

Bernie doesn't seem interested in this at all, if you are not at his left you don't pass his purity test. He is not interested to work with anybody that's not 100% on board with 100% of what he say. he has endorsed 3, I repeat 3 candidates.
He hasn't fundraised for anybody (except 3 ), his campaign sabotage fundraisers for down ballot. You need 218 for a majority. I'm not sure he even want the other 215 to win since his doing everything he can to sabotage fundraisers and sue the party for organising them.

Not all of them will be 100% with Bernie but they are all democrats. Being a democrat is not enough for Bernie.
Please do work to get Berniecrats elected, win primaries, but don't sabotage the rest of the democrats. The 'enemy' is in front.
That's my point.

KingK

The Bernie above all cult is much more vocal and dangerous in the long term.
I mean, I don't know if you're accusing me of being a Bernie cultist or not, but I've said on here before that he's not a very good candidate (I don't think Hillary is either). I agree with him over Hillary on more issues, and mostly just want to keep some pressure on Hillary so she doesn't abandon the left to appeal to the center-right, but would have preferred a much more polished challenger from the left. Unfortunately there aren't many out there to pick from since democrats have abandoned state and local offices across the country over the last 8 years so the stable is a bit empty. I'd honestly probably vote for Obama again before either of them.

I doubt people who claim they would only ever vote Bernie make up a significant number. Most traditionally voted Green/abstained from voting in the past and may go back to doing that after the primary. But let's go ahead and pretend Bernie is destroying the Party.

Overheard today:

Me: Ugh, I'm so nervous. COME THROUGH QUEEN!
My mom: Is there anything we can do today? Should I call people again?
Me: No, not unless you know a virgin we can sacrifice.
My mom: Well, that's you out, then.

COME THROUGH QUEEN.

1QqOqX4.jpg

This is what a new york republican will see when he or she goes to vote today.

First of all I didn't know ben carson was still running.
There's no write in option, no way to select Bobby Jindal somehow. I dont think I'm even gonna bother tbh

gcubed

1QqOqX4.jpg

This is what a new york republican will see when he or she goes to vote today.

First of all I didn't know ben carson was still running.
There's no write in option, no way to select Bobby Jindal somehow. I dont think I'm even gonna bother tbh

i think bobby jindal is the majestic eagle all the way at the bottom

HylianTom

Banned
Hillary gonna win by 3

Nothing starts this train
That would be a comical result.

One side would be down because they didn't get the big win, overlooking the delegate math remaining heavily in their candidate's favor.
The other side would be happy over "momentum" and "beating expectations," overlooking the delegate math remaining nigh-impossible.

Bobby should've been a pelican!

This is the stupidest thing I've read in a hot minute.

And no, before you say something about tone, I respect neither you nor your opinion.

Honestly?

*shrug*

If Bernie was doing to the dems what Trump is doing to the GOP, I would probably enjoy that.

No, wait. There's this!

Krowley

I think you misunderstood my point, or to be honest I was bad at conveying it. The party should be a place where people with all kind of ideas get together, put aside their difference and work toward a common goal. From the moderates to the far left.

Bernie doesn't seem interested in this at all, if you are not at his left you don't pass his purity test. He is not interested to work with anybody that's not 100% on board with 100% of what he say. he has endorsed 3, I repeat 3 candidates.
He hasn't fundraised for anybody (except 3 ), his campaign sabotage fundraisers for down ballot. You need 218 for a majority. Not all of them will be 100% with Bernie but they are all democrats. Being a democrat is not enough for Bernie.
Please do work to get Berniecrats elected, win primaries, but don't sabotage the rest of the democrats. The 'enemy' is in front.
That's my point.

Honestly, if you're just a poor or middle-class person in this country the whole power structure is full of "enemies" for you.

It's all a bunch of super villains. Do you vote for Lex Luthor or Magneto? Sad state of affairs.

I'll take Hillary over Trump or Cruz, but there's no triumph in that.

Honestly, if you're just a poor or middle-class person in this country the whole power structure is full of "enemies" for you.

It's all a bunch of super villains. Do you vote for Lex Luthor or Magneto? Sad state of affairs.

So would you say you think both parties are basically the same? Just slightly different flavors of supervillains?

KingK

The criticism of Hillary and the Democratic Party over fundraising is really weird.

The vast majority of the Democratic Party, including Hillary, would love for money to have less influence over politics. Overturning Citizens United would be celebrated by the entire Democratic Party, not just the anti-establishment wing. However, they still need to fundraise in the way they have been for the simple reason that money does currently have huge influence over politics.

You cannot fight an election based on what you want the system to be. You can only fight based on what it currently is. I don't disagree with the argument that money should have less influence, and neither do most Democrats. But whilst it does have this much influence, the fact is you need money to fight, to make the changes you want. You may not like the way the Democrat party raises money currently, but it is necessary if we are ever to get to a position where they don't have to.

The Democrats can only work with the world as it is, not with the world as we wish it was.
My biggest problem with Hillary and her supporters/surrogates, like Barney Frank, on this issue is their response when the question is brought up. I realize it's a tricky situation, because you don't want to just admit that you have to appease donors to a degree.

The problem is they defend the donations saying there's nothing wrong it, it's never impacted a vote, quid pro quo is the only form of corruption, etc. Oh, but we're still totally in favor of overturning Citizen's United! Like what reason do people have to believe you're genuine about the issue when you've just regurgitated all of the court majority's arguments in support of the decision? If there is no problem with these donations and they in no way ever cause corruption or impact a vote and it's just a legitimate way of participating in the process, then why oppose it?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
My biggest problem with Hillary and her supporters/surrogates, like Barney Frank, on this issue is their response when the question is brought up. I realize it's a tricky situation, because you don't want to just admit that you have to appease donors to a degree.

The problem is they defend the donations saying there's nothing wrong it, it's never impacted a vote, quid pro quo is the only form of corruption, etc. Oh, but we're still totally in favor of overturning Citizen's United! Like what reason do people have to believe you're genuine about the issue when you've just regurgitated all of the court majority's arguments in support of the decision? If there is no problem with these donations and they in no way ever cause corruption or impact a vote and it's just a legitimate way of participating in the process, then why oppose it?

Do you even know what Citizens United was about?

Trancos

Ok, if you can't admit that all democrats want more or less the same thing generally speaking. Or that Hillary and Bernie agree in 90% of the most important topics, then you just proved my point.
Being able to find common ground with people that want to work with you is good thing, not a sign of weakness. Be able to work with people with different opinions or ideas and be able to still find a way to align your goals is a good thing. Diversity of thoughts is a good thing. I welcome Berniecrats, please do bring your ideas, let's talk.
For the last time Democrats are not the enemy.

Because this is the system we have. You don't get to run in the universe you wish existed, you run in the one you have. Let's use a football analogy. Let's say I think kicking field goals is shit, and I refuse to do it. If I lose a game by 3 points because I refused to play by the rules that exist, as opposed to the rules that exist in my mind, I've still lost the damn game.

The GOP is not going to agree to disarm even if we do. So, we have to do what we can to negate the shit that the Koch's fund.

But, no, I do not believe Hillary is corrupt because she's had PACs spend money on her. Bernie has had quite a few PACs spend quite a bit on him in different campaigns. The difference is, he likes hte people who are supporting him, ergo, there's no corruption.

Luthor has no chance against Magneto without prep time.
When do we start seeing exit poll numbers?
Bingo.

You don't actually have to see money as a corrupting force to oppose the unlimited money through SuperPACs. You can oppose it from a purely practical standpoint - it leaves you at a spending disadvantage.

Until we start seeing Bernie Sanders official Twitter account retweet shit like this, I really fail to see what random meme generator images have to do with anything to add to the conversation.

Like the disgusting pictures of Detroit Bernie's campaign tweeted saying Hillary did that? Stuff like that?

You do know Citizen's United sued the government so they could put out more anti-Hillary propaganda, right?

She's personally affected by the ruling.

Democrats also get hurt by the ruling in general, so not only is she personally against it, but there's a vested interest in the Democrats to get rid of it as well.

KingK

Do you even know what Citizens United was about?
Yes? The rights of individuals and organizations to make unlimited political contributions to non-profit groups running SuperPACS.

Edit: you guys are getting defensive and misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying "Hillary is secretly an evil sellout who love citizen's United and loves getting corporate campaign funds!" I'm saying there's a problem with her campaign's messaging about the issue because their publicly stated defence of the donations (no strings attached, doesn't impact anybody's vote, nothing wrong with it) contradicts the reasons people oppose the Citizen's United ruling.

royalan

I think it's laughable at this point that Bernie continues to insinuate that Hillary Clinton is bought by corporate interests and big money, despite there being no evidence, when we have evidence that the NRA and those against gun regulations have had an influence on his vote.

Trancos

Like what reason do people have to believe you're genuine about the issue when you've just regurgitated all of the court majority's arguments in support of the decision?

Citizen United was created to attack Hillary Clinton.
The whole point was to have unlimited resources to attack her.
The whole Supreme court case was about the financing and airing of a political film attacking Hillary.
Are you arguing that she was in favour of the ruling allowing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom