• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

User 406

Banned
Fall 2016 - Congress enacts the "Modern Judiciary Act" and the Supreme Court is codified as having 8 Justices.

Spring 2017 - Ginsburg or Thomas dies, leaving the composition of the court uneven.

Now what happens? If political gridlock prevents another justice from being appointed, we're right back where we started just with seven instead of nine. And if political actors appoint someone who is ideologically opposite of the deceased justice, then we're back to the original fear of a stacked court.

It's a fool's errand.

The end game, of course, is a zero member Supreme Court. That will finally end the whining about no cameras being allowed during oral argument.

Retromelon da bess

CCS

Banned
#NYPrimary election judge says people who feel have been purged have remedy...go get court order in front of a judge

The mental image of the entirety of r/s4p filing past a judge is hilarious.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
ko2DHnC.jpg

this is what I think of your dumb ass primary rules ny

Cruz isn't Satan, he's the Zodiac. Your entire ballot is borked!

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
But that's not a proper analysis.

Most decisions aren't 5-4 because most decisions are simply more obvious to the Court, regardless of their left-right persuasion.

It's not like most of these cases are 5-4 originally and then one side persuades the other side and it becomes 7-2 or 9-0.

The simple truth is that most cases are uncontroversial for the SCOTUS and the outcomes would likely be the same whether there were 7 conservatives or 7 liberals.

But for the handful of divisive cases, it fucking matters. And there's no evidence 4-4 split would change in these cases.

As an aside, I'd also like to point out that the GOP would put a 5th conservative on the Court the moment they get the chance again because they don't give a fuck about anything else but maintaining their power. The GOP would never play nice so why should the liberals?

This isn't a point about 5-4 decisions, but all Supreme Court decisions:

Eric Segall said:
There are several responses. First, even now the Court only hears 75 cases or so a year giving the courts of appeals effective final say in most areas of federal law. Judge Richard Posner made this point in a debate that he and I had over whether Supreme Court Justices do their jobs differently than lower court judges in any way that matters. Posner pointed out that the Court only reviews “one tenth of one percent” of lower court cases and thus lower courts “already have the last word in most cases.”

And, again, the point would be to eliminate the ninth seat and require bipartisan membership along a 4-4 split. It'd be a lot harder for either side to later amend the law to add a seat than it is to fill a ninth seat currently provided by law. Either side could add seats now, but nobody so much as suggests that.

This isn't a point about 5-4 decisions, but all Supreme Court decisions:

Right, but the SCOTUS upends about 2/3 decisions and a lot of the decisions it doesn't upend are simply to re-affirm established law, fix different court opinions, are simply restricted to that one case.

Most Appellate Courts agree on most issues. So the point made here isn't actually relevant.

And, again, the point would be to eliminate the ninth seat and require bipartisan membership along a 4-4 split. It'd be a lot harder for either side to later amend the law to add a seat than it is to fill a ninth seat currently provided by law. Either side could add seats now, but nobody so much as suggests that.

But again, I need evidence it would lead to anything positive, of which there is none. It's all hypothesis. No thanks.

I need to see Satan's birth certificate to make sure he's eligible.

If an angel is born in heaven outside of US airspace, but falls below the surface underneath US territory and becomes a demon, do we consider the transformation or the original birth as "natural born"?

We need a scotus ruling

User 406

Banned
If an angel is born in heaven outside of US airspace, but falls below the surface underneath US territory and becomes a demon, do we consider the transformation or the original birth as "natural born"?

We need a scotus ruling

Ted Cruz fell down from Canada.

America is Hell, confirmed.

I am kind of shocked that you are suggesting such a condition. Putting aside the problems associated with constitutional principles that mandating partisanship from Justices would raise, the idea that such a solution could actually be implemented with any degree of success seems ridiculous. How on earth would you even write such a condition in terms of specifics and particulars that doesn't just leave it to the eye of the beholder? It would inevitably become outdated as new questions create new divisions along ideological lines.

More importantly, how would you even successfully enforce it in such a way that would prevent partisan actors from stacking the court?

This is one of the most nakedly reactionary stances I've seen you take in a long time. I cannot even fathom a scenario in prior years in which someone else could have floated this idea and you would have done anything other than savage it.

A Democrat did not try that this election.

Yeah.

I mean it sort of ended up that his campaign had vast majority white appeal but it wasn't intentional. It was through terrible misreadings, gafs, mistakes, incompetence, etc.

Bernie absolutely tried. But when his bread and butter "brand" and appeal didn't resonate with demographics outside of his usual targets he didn't know how to effectively pivot.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Right, but the SCOTUS upends about 2/3 decisions and a lot of the decisions it doesn't upend are simply to re-affirm established law, fix different court opinions, are simply restricted to that one case.

Most Appellate Courts agree on most issues. So the point made here isn't actually relevant.

Do they? What percentage of issues?

But again, I need evidence it would lead to anything positive, of which there is none. It's all hypothesis. No thanks.

He's already pointed to the unusual order in Zubik. Justice Kagan claims that the justices are "working really hard" to avoid deadlocks--an unnecessary effort when one side has the upper hand. And we've seen for decades now how partisan the confirmation process has become, all because Republicans and Democrats are fighting over which side gets the upper hand. For instance, until Justice Alito's confirmation, the two justices who were confirmed with the most No votes were Justice Thomas (48 No) and Chief Justice Rehnquist (33). Justices Alito (42) and Kagan (37) both received more No votes than Rehnquist, and Justice Sotomayor received only two less than him (31).

Segall's suggestion is a way to cut back on the partisan bickering over confirmations and encourage the Court to continue doing what Kagan says they're doing now--"working really hard" to find a consensus.

Holmes

So they have to take it up with each county if they have a registration concern but the judge refused to do anything today.
Hopefully they can get it changed for 2020 so that independent New Yorkers too can vote to re-nominate President Clinton as the Democratic candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom