• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tyler has a last name? News to me.

Also, if someone mentions Tyler as a source ever again, I will get myself banned over it. I'm at my Tyler tipping point.

Actually, I think that's just a hell of a coincidence, it's a different tyler.

jtb

Banned
EuMIRqs.png

I'm actually mildly shocked that, after a year's worth of hilarious FiveThirtyEight "Party Decides" fetishizing in the face of, well, data... their polls plus forecast is actually doing slightly better than their polls only forecast! Good for Nate.

Kangi

Actually, I think that's just a hell of a coincidence, it's a different tyler.

I'm talking about the "basing predictions off of Facebook likes" Tyler in the graph, not the Tyler who happened to do that graph. But by all means, let's ban that Tyler too and anybody else named Tyler.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm actually mildly shocked that, after a year's worth of hilarious FiveThirtyEight "Party Decides" fetishizing in the face of, well, data... their polls plus forecast is actually doing slightly better than their polls only forecast! Good for Nate.

They're only using Bernie's results as a measuring stick, not the rest of the field.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Wait, this is a totally false narrative.

People aren't arguing Trump is a bad general election candidate because of the last two weeks. We've been arguing he's a bad general election candidate for the past six months! Because the stuff's done to win the GOP primary is much much worse for him in the general than anything he's done to lose it in the last two weeks. That's why the GOP was avoiding doing that stuff in the first place!

The reality is that Trump has demonstrated no particular ability to pivot or to be politically effective. He's just demonstrated an understanding of what the GOP base really is, because he's part of the GOP base.

I know that you have suggested that Trump is a master politician, but I honestly don't think he is. He's just the reckoning for a disintegrating party. Nor, honestly, do I really expect the media to unite around propping him up. He's too toxic for that.

I guess I'm still waiting for the inevitable shift that always tends to happen.

Here are the assumptions I'm making

1) Trump has already done one shift - from his pre-GOP primary policies to crazy right-wing nationalist demagogue. While my belief is starting to dwindle on this (the abortion comment, even if taken somewhat out of context, was a pretty legit eff-up. A couple of more of those and Trump will pretty much lose a lot of his base); I can't assume he can't pull this off. Or more appropriately, I'm pretty sure he has a much higher chance of shifting towards the middle that Ted Freaking Cruz does. :p

2) Clinton's unpopularity amongst typical GOP supporters, plus the Supreme Court factor, will get a lot of Republicans to hold their nose and vote for whoever their candidate is. Just as the Dems (Clinton especially) are pushing the "we gotta win this election because shit could go super down if we don't"; it seems odd to not account for that same dynamic potentially occurring on the GOP side, especially as we go through the GE. They HATE Clinton.

3) Trump's demos arguably may be at their worst for now and until the convention happens (further foot in mouth situations not happening) because of the GOP primary going on / disbelief that the GOP party could go down this route. Similarly, I would expect Clinton's "white male" percentage and "youth percentage" to go up once the Democratic primary is over, as part of that demographic who may see her unfavorable compared to Sanders will, once the primary is over, start supporting the candidate more ideologically inclined with them.

Basically, people are all fired up and angry and threatening to not vote for their party's candidate, but I think it'll be bullshit once it gets to the general election. I will absolutely admit that 2008 has distinctly colored my beliefs on this. So I could very much be reacting too far the opposite way (or think Republican voters threats to not vote for Trump are more idle then they actually are)

4) I think the media will be heavily invested in trying to at least have the perception of this race be that of a close one, even if it involves Trump. They have been turning on Trump recently, but I think that's because they see the growing chance Trump won't be the nominee. If he does become the nominee, I think $$ > morality, and the media will push whatever narratives they need to make it seem like a close race.

The biggest counters to my argument is that Trump's recent misstep is him regressing back to the mean (not the best term to use, but closest I can think of) of himself as a politician / person, and that the demographics are a more accurate indicator of what Trump's immediate foot-in-mouth issues are going to be moving forward. Alternatively, as I said earlier, my entire "GOP voters will fall in line after primaries" is heavily colored by 2008 - and I very well could be overcompensating for how much I think voters will fall in line behind their parties due to potential SCOTUS issues.

I also think the GOP is stuck on a downward path without a major shakeup, and I think Trump is more likely to cause that major shakeup (and have a dangerous GOP return in 2020) than Cruz. I think a Cruz shellacking leads to the expulsion of the Tea Party, and then a Jeb/Romney-ish terrible candidate in 2020, and THEN the GOP re-orients themselves after 2021. I worry Trump forces a re-orientation in 2017.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm talking about the "basing predictions off of Facebook likes" Tyler in the graph, not the Tyler who happened to do that graph. But by all means, let's ban that Tyler too and anybody else named Tyler.

Considering the one Tyler I know in IRL. I'll agree with that.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Wouldn't we be all getting ourselves banned on GAF? :p

Iolo

Ban Tippicanoe and Tyler too

Holmes

Bernie has more likes on twitter and his supporters are facebanking new Yorkers 24/7. Even Kev isn't safe. NY is lean Sanders!

PBY

Banned
Bernie has more likes on twitter and his supporters are facebanking new Yorkers 24/7. Even Kev isn't safe. NY is lean Sanders!

Every saturday I get stopped by Bernie people on the sidewalk asking me to sign up to their mailers on my way to the gym.

I want to know if this makes a difference. Because, I can't imagine brow beating people on Facebook is a good way to get support for your candidate. Some rando sends me a message I'ma be like WTF?

But I'm weird like that.

CCS

Banned
I swear that if you asked the average member of r/politics whether it was more likely that Hillary gets indicted or the sun comes up tomorrow they'd go with the first.

Kangi

Weren't they doing a ton of this before Ohio?

Social media stuff virtually never has any effect. Let's not forget the massive anti-Hillary hashtag movements and stuff going into South Carolina... of course, we're all low-information voters down here who just didn't see the truth of #WhichHillary and other dank memes.

Holmes

Social media stuff virtually never has any effect. Let's not forget the massive anti-Hillary hashtag movements and stuff going into South Carolina... of course, we're all low-information voters down here who just didn't see the truth of #WhichHillary and other dank memes.
South Carolinians did know about #WhichHillary and they decided to go with the one that won the state by 50%.

Is Twitter allowed in the old Confederacy? /s

I don't want to toot my own horn too early....but I feel like Queen has this. I'm still going to fucking kick ass and take names for her, but I feel damn good. Damn good.

So, my Berniebro and I took my dog to the dog park for a bit, and someone had a Bernie button on. Kyle was like "Nice button, did you vote for him?" She told us no because she forgot, but she read on Reddit there was going to be a re-vote in Ohio.

: smizing :

Omfg. Anecdotal but omfg.

I once went on a date with a guy named Tyler.

He took me to Arby's because he had a "Two Can dine for $8.99" coupon. He gave me the last cheese stick though.

He also wanted me to wear a pearl necklace when we...you know. And I don't mean that in the sexual act. I mean a literal pearl necklace. We...we didn't see each other again.

CCS

Banned
I once went on a date with a guy named Tyler.

He took me to Arby's because he had a "Two Can dine for $8.99" coupon. He gave me the last cheese stick though.

He also wanted me to wear a pearl necklace when we...you know. And I don't mean that in the sexual act. I mean a literal pearl necklace. We...we didn't see each other again.

Ummm... err... okay.

I don't really know how to respond to that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom