• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

It absolutely is a place where opinionated professors try to instill their (usually leftist) political views on young and impressionable people.

Here in Puerto Rico for instance, professors (usually non-STEM) will hammer on about Puerto Rican nationalism and the supposed benefits of independence from the US. That's why a disproportionate amount of independence advocates here are college students.

Rubio got 73% there. You Hillary can match or beat that?

Lmao, you fucking loath Halperin and Heilemann. Beyond the rolling clusterfuck that is WADR, what has contributed to your dislike?

Have I really made that many comments about them? I feel like Kev makes most of the comments mocking them. I wouldn't really say I hate them per se, but they make a lot of bad predictions.

ivysaur12

Banned
Good shit.

It is a bullshit claim to make, but if he wants to make it, he has some $50,000 dollars that come from oil and gas employees.

YEAH BUT ONLY $24 THAT COMES FROM OIL AND GAS LOBBYISTS I'M ZAID JILANI AND I FACEBANKENLY APPROVE THIS MESSAGE

Bowdz

Have I really made that many comments about them? I feel like Kev makes most of the comments mocking them. I wouldn't really say I hate them per se, but they make a lot of bad predictions.

You're just on point with responding. When I was riding their train back in January, I'd make a post and you'd be the next post calling them out.

Your reply game is ON POINT bro.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It absolutely is a place where opinionated professors try to instill their (usually leftist) political views on young and impressionable people.

Here in Puerto Rico for instance, professors (usually non-STEM) will hammer on about Puerto Rican nationalism and the supposed benefits of independence from the US. That's why a disproportionate amount of independence advocates here are college students.

That actually jibes with several of my friends from Puerto Rico I've met in college - they are super pro-independence, until they go back to the island and start working, and then they're like...eehhhhh, it's not so bad.

My professors were actually extremely open to opposing views. Except for the science guys, of course.

The missus gets the weirdest fucking orthodoxy pushed on her. Some of it's political, but other times its like "which specific topic of the middle ages is important to write about for the next 15 years in every academic paper ever", or other crazy ass bullshit. Mind you, she's about as lefty as it comes to boot.

I've heard it can be more nuanced than just general areas - social sciences vs liberal arts vs etc etc. But some of the horror stories I hear from her make me glad I never went down that route.

On a side note... Sanders getting stomped in Ohio comes second only to him getting destroyed in SC as far as my favorite primary moments so far. Him losing Illinois and finally Missouri didn't even affect things; him losing Ohio the way he did is what caused all of the implosions and meltdowns (and netted Hillary more delegates than people expected).

March 15th was just amazing. I want April 26th to be just as amazing.

If I'm being objective Ohio was the best result of that night. It was expected to be a dog fight and instead it was a blowout, which really put the stake through the heart of the "Hillary can't win swing states" narrative. But I personally found Illinois more satisfying, partly because it's where I live but also because I really hated the guilt by association BS the Sanders campaign was pulling with Rahm. Sadly I still think those attacks were effective but at least they weren't effective enough to win the state.

East Lake

Some quick research shows the disconnect between those wanting to help and those affected by a disaster. Basically, organizations swoop in and want to rebuild and fix everything themselves, when the people who will reside there should better included in the process. Chelsea Clinton wrote about this in an email, and it's a pretty smart observation that was buried. Nowhere near sabotaging, and it's fucking ludicrous to say it was.
When I said that I'm not talking only about post-earthquake.

Although Haiti's murderous army has been formally abolished, many former soldiers have been incorporated into the 5,000-strong Haitian National Police, including 130 former military officers and more than 1,000 lower-ranking soldiers. The vetting of former soldiers to exclude those with records of serious human rights abuse was often perfunctory, in part because of a lack of reliable evidence.

One of the best sources of evidence are 160,000 documents, including photographs of torture victims, that the United States military seized from the Haitian Army and its paramilitary allies in 1994. The Clinton Administration refuses to return these documents without first removing the names of Americans.

The Administration's apparent motive is to avoid embarrassing revelations about the involvement of American intelligence agents with the military regime that ruled Haiti. The Haitian Government has refused to accept the documents on these terms.

To deprive Haitian prosecutors of this information is to sacrifice Haiti's efforts, which you describe, to extend the rule of law to its police.
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/12/opinion/l-us-must-release-evidence-on-haitian-abuses-581364.html

This argument is quite facile, in my view, because it assumes that all it takes is "education" to understand how to choose good government policies. That assumption does seem popular, but I think it's false. Policy isn't just one complex topic, it's a variety of complex topics. The average person is not going to be an expert on any of them. Nor should they! That is literally the entire point of a republican democracy -- you are supposed to elect people to be experts for you, and then expect them to execute on the goals you've communicated to them as well as they can.
Keep in mind I'm responding to someone who said that the government ought to ignore popular opinion if it's wrong, like another poster I responded to a while ago who said stupid people ought not to have the ability to control the government, or something similar. So acknowledging that economics is complicated doesn't really capture the thrust of the argument, nor is all of economics or budgets complicated. A dumb individual can look at policy and object on non-technical or even a technical basis.

Meowster

Aside from her comment during the Michigan debate, she has been nothing but cordial and friendly throughout this entire primary run. I honestly expected better from Sanders and his campaign when I started following the beginning of all of this.

She should've done this a while ago. Stop dancing around that she's corrupt. Just say it.

Also, I don't think their campaign knows how individual campaign contributions work?

Clearly they don't since their campaign hasn't been able to accurately keep track of them.

T'Zariah

Banned
Clinton said:
I don't think anybody would argue that during the eight years leading up to the Great Recession a lot of bets were made, risks taken, that weren't good for the economy. And I don't think all the blame lies with Wall Street.

I think a lot of the blame lies with the Bush administration. They went back to trickle-down economics. They took their eye off the mortgage market. They took their eye off the finance markets, and we ended up in a big mess.

"I think there were bad actors in the government and bad actors in the finance, mortgage, markets industries that need to be called out and held accountable," she continued. "But you also have to make sure that you've got the credit flowing, the financial instruments, that are going to enable Main Street to be successful."

Hillary talking nuance gives me such a boner.

LAWD

ivysaur12

Banned
This is all correct:

@nickconfessore
1) Neither Clinton nor Sanders is a particularly large recipient of oil & gas money. Both get some. Clinton gets much more.

@nickconfessore
2) Clinton spox says they don't get contributions from oil & gas companies (which is illegal) or from their PACs (which Sanders never said)

@nickconfessore
3) both get $ from people who work in some capacity for oil & gas companies. Clinton also gets $ from people who lobby for those companies.

@nickconfessore
4) Clinton has moved left on some issues of energy production or regulation so not a particularly vivid case study for influence-peddling

@nickconfessore
5) but it is true that people who make a living pressing the industry's case in Washington have given or raised a bunch of cash for Clinton.

NeoXChaos

Shouldn't Devine know? Or anyone with an internet connection??

images

royalan

She should've done this a while ago. Stop dancing around that she's corrupt. Just say it.

Also, I don't think their campaign knows how individual campaign contributions work?

I'm sure they do. We're too deep in this thing for me to believe for a second that Sanders' campaign is that blind to the process.

The Sanders Campaign is intentionally playing on the ignorance of a large segment of their voter base to do their dirty work for them. This has been the case for a while.

User 406

Banned
It's critical that we get the corrosive financial influence of the mailboy at Goldman Sachs out of politics.

You heard me, Y2Kev, cut it out.

Armaros

It's critical that we get the corrosive financial influence of the mailboy at Goldman Sachs out of politics.

You heard me, Y2Kev, cut it out.

I am sure Yev is literally JP Morgan who has never aged and is now pretending to be a GAF mod to be hip. ;P

The truth is out there!

NeoXChaos

April Madness- dramatis
* All April Contest

May Meltdown- Open
All May Contest

June Showdown- Adam287
All June contest

*Veepstakes is going to be in PoliGAF

2016 Republican National Convention-b-dubs
2016 Democratic National Convention- NeoXChaos

1st Presidential Debate-b-dubs
Vice Presidential Debate-Ebay Huckster
2nd Presidential Debate-kingkitty
3rd Presidential Debate-Holmes

General Election 2016-Aaron Strife

Democratic Debates
Apil- kingkatty
May- pigeon

This is all correct:
I'd wager bundlers would think it's a waste of time and money contributing to Sanders because he's not going to win, regardless of his positions or self-proclaimed, self-professed inability to be swayed.

Meanwhile, blast from the past:
92-1.gif

Will of the people. Direct democracy now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sanders doesn't have bundlers because he doesn't have any party machinery whatsoever. This is virtue or vice depending on who you are talking to, but who exactly is going to bundle for him? Harry Belafonte? LOL.

UraMallas

This thread moves to fast for me so I'll just ask - what are the newest polls saying about the republican race? I know that Cruz has (in my mind astonishingly) pull out to a double digit lead in Wisconsin, but is there any other newer polls? I was wondering about his big abortion blunder because it feels a bit like the winds are changing, but I've thought that before.

Aside from her comment during the Michigan debate, she has been nothing but cordial and friendly throughout this entire primary run. I honestly expected better from Sanders and his campaign when I started following the beginning of all of this.

Well yeah she's the frontrunner, in a much less competitive primary than 2008. She's learned from experience that going negative doesn't work for her.

This thread moves to fast for me so I'll just ask - what are the newest polls saying about the republican race? I know that Cruz has (in my mind astonishingly) pull out to a double digit lead in Wisconsin, but is there any other newer polls? I was wondering about his big abortion blunder because it feels a bit like the winds are changing, but I've thought that before.

Cruz is probably going to win Wisconsin and it probably doesn't represent a sea change in the overall race. HOWEVER, it may stop Trump from getting the magic number of delegates he needs to ensure the nomination.

GYODX

Rubio got 73% there. You Hillary can match or beat that?
I don't know. Everyone in my vicinity in the big, super liberal college campus I go to is overwhelmingly for Sanders. This place has historically been the center of leftist political activism on the island, but only with regards to local politics. All the old Democrats (i.e, the people who are more likely to bother to vote in Democratic primaries in Puerto Rico) seem to be enamored with Clinton. Then again, our Bernie supporters are every bit as enthusiastic as their mainland counterparts, to the extent that most people here would probably be shitting on them if they were exposed to them
/if they could convince themselves to not feel uncomfortable about ragging on a large group of minorities
, so we'll see. Contrary to popular belief, if she wins here, it won't be because we're Hispanic.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Also... isn't it more likely that lobbyists would give to the potential winner, regardless of party?

Shit shifts too fast to constantly bet on winners; you want the ability to point out you've been a consistent donor when peddling influence. One of Trump's few salient points - there's a reason he donates to everyone - it is the most effective way to go about it. You give to everyone if you can.

GYODX

That actually jibes with several of my friends from Puerto Rico I've met in college - they are super pro-independence, until they go back to the island and start working, and then they're like...eehhhhh, it's not so bad.

The missus gets the weirdest fucking orthodoxy pushed on her. Some of it's political, but other times its like "which specific topic of the middle ages is important to write about for the next 15 years in every academic paper ever", or other crazy ass bullshit. Mind you, she's about as lefty as it comes to boot.

I've heard it can be more nuanced than just general areas - social sciences vs liberal arts vs etc etc. But some of the horror stories I hear from her make me glad I never went down that route.
Ironically, most Puerto Rican independence advocates and anti-statehooders are actually in the mainland US. Some of them are even in Congress!

It is especially grating to see Gutiérrez stand and chest thump about what he thinks is best for us. He doesn't fucking represent us.

UraMallas

Cruz is probably going to win Wisconsin and it probably doesn't represent a sea change in the overall race. HOWEVER, it may stop Trump from getting the magic number of delegates he needs to ensure the nomination.

Damn it @ your last sentence. That was what I was afraid of.

ivysaur12

Banned
Shit shifts too fast to constantly bet on winners; you want the ability to point out you've been a consistent donor when peddling influence. One of Trump's few salient points - there's a reason he donates to everyone - it is the most effective way to go about it. You give to everyone if you can.

Yeah, but if Bernie ever started to win, you'd suppose they'd start giving to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom