• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really want Hillary to have an obscene margin in NY. I have a feeling she won't, but I really, really want it.

Also, I just had the most Ohio meal ever: shredded chicken and cheesy potatoes.

Werk my Berniebro's mom. WERK.

Looks like someone sent out an email to delegates in Clark County telling them they didn't need to show up today if they checked in or registered as a delegate yesterday.

01IzthO.jpg

May have come from the same woman who "accidentally" sent Hillary's delegate information to the Bernie Sanders people.

The Clinton campaign should have had delegates ready for this. That's the game.

ampere

Someone needs to ask Hillary after this primary is over if she would consider pushing the DNC to get rid of them, and partly help fund state's primaries.

I wonder what kind of cost we'd be looking at for say, Nevada or Washington to switch to primaries. Iowa would probably be a problem since they want to be "first" and having a caucus helps them get ahead of New Hampshire.

This site listed costs for the 2012 primaries, which should be Republican only costs unless there's still a cost for the Dems when the sitting president doesn't get primaried, I don't know for sure.

State Total Cost of Primary Average Cost/Voter
Texas $15,883,428.32 $1.57
Indiana $6,969,771.96 $2.24
Tennessee $4,577,041.57 $1.57
Oklahoma $2,933,104.00 $1.63
Idaho $2,840,471.00 $3.93
North Dakota $1,352,114.00 $3.39

It seems plausible for the DNC to raise money for the states that don't have primaries right now, but it would probably be decently expensive. Assuming ~$2M for low pop states, and ~$5M for mid pop states (probably low estimates), that'd be $56M for all caucus states to have primaries. That's a lot of money not going to potential down ticket races though

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, awesome info ciaossu, I was wondering if anywhere had idea of the cost.
Frankly, I don't think the DNC should fit the entire bill, but it should be shared.

I wonder what the cost of a Caucus is?

T'Zariah

Banned
I really, really want Hillary to have an obscene margin in NY. I have a feeling she won't, but I really, really want it.

At this point, I"d be happy for 10+

15+ I'd be estatic.

20+ and I'll fucking masturbate furiously on my rooftop.

ampere

Supposedly really cheap, like renting out a gymnasium * number of districts. Not sure

It's weird to look up the costs, because Iowa's caucus website talks about money spent on the caucus, but it includes TV ads by candidates, which obviously is not money spent by the state

Why are down ticket candidates, apparently, incapable of raising their own money?
Little national stature, no name recognition, lack of visibility. They do raise their own funds, but having big name candidate or party leader is a big pull. Plus the Kochs love nothing more than to throw millions into down ballot races. Dems don't have that advantage.

Holmes

Clinton won Democrats 65-35 in Ohio. She can win them by the same margin in New York and it's a closed primary.

Dalthien

It seems plausible for the DNC to raise money for the states that don't have primaries right now, but it would probably be decently expensive. Assuming ~$2M for low pop states, and ~$5M for mid pop states (probably low estimates), that'd be $56M for all caucus states to have primaries. That's a lot of money not going to potential down ticket races though

Honestly, the DNC doesn't even need to worry about the costs. Trying to pay for caucus states to run primaries would just get other states that already have primaries to want some reimbursement as well.

All the DNC has to do is put in place a rule that states have to run primaries in order for their delegates to count. You might get a couple stragglers that fight the system for an election or two, but eventually states will switch over on their own so they don't lose the advertising and exposure that comes with the delegate process. It's really not any different than punishing Michigan/Florida for scheduling their primaries on the wrong date, etc.

Of course, even in this scenario, the DNC would probably carve out an exception for Iowa, for some stupid historical significance reason, and in order to allow New Hampshire to remain the first primary. And they might want to continue to allow the overseas territories to continue using causeses - but otherwise, it would be a fairly straight-forward and simple (and inexpensive) change if the DNC decides they want to get rid of caucuses.

ampere

Honestly, the DNC doesn't even need to worry about the costs. Trying to pay for caucus states to run primaries would just get other states that already have primaries to want some reimbursement as well.

All the DNC has to do is put in place a rule that states have to run primaries in order for their delegates to count. You might get a couple stragglers that fight the system for an election or two, but eventually states will switch over on their own so they don't lose the advertising and exposure that comes with the delegate process. It's really not any different than punishing Michigan/Florida for scheduling their primaries on the wrong date, etc.

Of course, even in this scenario, the DNC would probably carve out an exception for Iowa, for some stupid historical significance reason, and in order to allow New Hampshire to remain the first primary. And they might want to continue to allow the overseas territories to continue using causeses - but otherwise, it would be a fairly straight-forward and simple (and inexpensive) change if the DNC decides they want to get rid of caucuses.

Fair enough. I wonder if this topic gets brought up at the DNC this year in light of the continuing concerns about caucuses.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Accidentally read an OT thread on Hillary thinking I was on the PoliGAF tab.

Never again.

It's honestly astonishing how many grown people we've got on GAF that simply don't know how the fuck politics work. They just regurgitate whatever bullshit they heard on reddit.

It's Saturday night on poligaf. Many of us have been drinking. Is it time for us to have a couple of pages talking about the size of our penises again?

It's Saturday night on poligaf. Many of us have been drinking. Is it time for us to have a couple of pages talking about the size of our penises again?

well it's better than what i would be doing, which is spend a couple pages talking about whether i should date my friend from north carolina who's moving to columbus for grad school

AntoneM

4 beers and 3 shots of tequila in and I feel a decent buzz, I may have a problem.

Also, hi PoliGAF, I'm usually a lurker.

4 beers and 3 shots of tequila in and I feel a decent buzz, I may have a problem.

Also, hi PoliGAF, I'm usually a lurker.

hi welcome

ive had 4 shots of peach vodka, two pineapple smirnoffs and three sips of whatever my Bernie bro is drinking. i'm playing COD on Wii u and trying to make a hillary clinton emblem.

i have life goals.

ampere

hi welcome

ive had 4 shots of peach vodka, two pineapple smirnoffs and three sips of whatever my Bernie bro is drinking. i'm playing COD on Wii u and trying to make a hillary clinton emblem.

i have life goals.

COD on Wii U is the saddest thing I have heard all day

well it's better than what i would be doing, which is spend a couple pages talking about whether i should date my friend from north carolina who's moving to columbus for grad school
If she's moving to Columbus she's ok with downgrades. She'll leave you for some douche. Don't do it man!

but I really don't know enough, 'twas a joke, follow your heart. FOLLOW YOUR HEAARRRRT

ampere

1 v 1 me bro.

I own BLOPS 2 on every console :( I've put over 800 hours on the Wii U version.

I actually never play fps anymore, my Halo and CS days are over!

I would think COD on Wii U would suffer from not enough players for reliable matchmaking, but maybe I'm wrong or local play is fun?

This kind of highlights why I don't believe Cruz is a shoe-in for 2020, assuming Trump is the nominee this year. It's very hard to maintain a spotlight position when you have no accomplishments or wins. Michelle Bachman, Allen West, Rand Paul, and others were pretty popular with the far right back in 2011 but things change. I'd imagine Cruz is the last breath of the initial Tea Party wave. Some new crop of extremists will emerge to do battle with President Hillary Clinton in 2018, and like Rick Santorum before him it's likely that Ted Cruz will be looking around wondering what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom