• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
You know, everyone time Huehuehue posts in OT, all I can think of is this:

d5c.jpg

Same for Benji.

I think of a better more "epic"when someone says theres bait to be found
ipFDO3i.png

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bayou goes down ridiculously smooth. Like, it's heavy without being heavy if that makes any sense.

I had it once and it ruined anything I can get at any liquor store I've been to in Columbus forever.

I quite like English Harbour. It's quite hard to find in the UK (ironically), I got into it when I was in Louisiana. It's... Antiguan, I think? Very smooth, very warm, strong without being overwhelming. Rather elegant, as rums go.

EDIT: http://www.tastings.com/Spirits-Rev...-Year-Old-Antigua-Rum-Antigua-07-01-2012.aspx

This is the one. They even used elegant as a description too. :p

HUELEN10

You know, everyone time Huehuehue posts in OT, all I can think of is this:

d5c.jpg

Same for Benji.

Don't call me HUEHUEHUE. It's not bait, I don't make it all about me, and it's not funny. In the Trump road the whitehouse plan thread I made a small number of simple posts, that's all. I am bating no one because I am not a troll. This is getting hurtful.

itschris

Trump is terrified by a random Kristol tweet and won't stop tweeting.

Did anyone post the Bill Kristol tweet that set this off?

Bill Kristol
‏@BillKristol

Just a heads up over this holiday weekend: There will be an independent candidate--an impressive one, with a strong team and a real chance.

I hope he actually does deliver - it could lead to a huge electoral college blowout!

Setting aside I think you're overestimating the internal calculation that arrive at greater impact to the black community from an increased minimum wage and therefore pushing for that policy in part because of that greater impact - which I doubt reflects reality.

Your random example isn't particularly good at creating a contrasting policy focus or even a reflection on daily life. I mean if it's a choice between getting more black kids into Harvard or increasing the minimum wage across the board I'd probably go for the latter too. As opposed to say, the number of black people being shot or getting stopped for no reason on the street or having people cross the street away - and making these a separate focus of policy development that isn't just a side- or afterthought

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Didn't he say a few days ago Romney might run? I'm thinking someone from the Bush of the GOP. the way Trump is freaking out on Twitter makes me want to believe he's heard something.

Bloomberg would be the biggest threat out there, but he cares more about keeping things on the rails than anything else so he won't get in the race. You might be right about Romney, he might be the only one rich enough, and with a large enough profile, to seriously threaten Trump.

Setting aside I think you're overestimating the internal calculation that arrive at greater impact to the black community from an increased minimum wage and therefore pushing for that policy in part because of that greater impact - which I doubt reflects reality.

Your random example isn't particularly good at creating a contrasting policy focus or even a reflection on daily life. I mean if it's a choice between getting more black kids into Harvard or increasing the minimum wage across the board I'd probably go for the latter too. As opposed to say, the number of black people being shot or getting stopped for no reason on the street or having people cross the street away - and making these a separate focus of policy development that isn't just a side- or afterthought
More people would be affected by minimum wage laws than civil rights related to police force.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Your random example isn't particularly good at creating a contrasting policy focus or even a reflection on daily life. I mean if it's a choice between getting more black kids into Harvard or increasing the minimum wage across the board I'd probably go for the latter too. As opposed to say, the number of black people being shot or getting stopped for no reason on the street or having people cross the street away.

I mean sure, it was off the top of my head. As for your three examples: I don't know really how government can deal with "having people cross the street" problems, that's a really complicated sociological issue. You can deal with institutional matters like black people being shot - I think such an issue is *hugely* important. However, if we were to take a different frame: if I had the choice between equal access single-payer (or equal access multi-payer, for that matter) healthcare and reform of the justice system, and could pick one, I'd pick healthcare. The amount of years lost to unequal access to the healthcare system is far greater than the amounts lost to police violence. We see the latter because they're visible, what we don't see is the *hundreds of thousands* of minorities denied access to the quality of healthcare that should be a basic standard of everyone in the world.

This is veering somewhat towards I wanted to avoid earlier ("Oppression Olympics"). These are hugely complex issues, and boiling it down to "you have one of two choices" doesn't reflect the reality of the situation. You'd probably agree with me with most of the frames of comparison I could pick, and I'd agree with most of yours. However, I think the basic point - that economic inequality is severely undervalued in modern American political discourse - is quite strongly true. Comparatively, issues typically perceived as important to minorities are aired in political discourse a lot. They're still hugely important, yes, but the marginal impact of focusing on inequality is higher. What's more, that marginal impact is very much something that disproportionately benefits minorities. It infuriates me when inequality is sold as 'not a minority issue'.

Seriously, Trump's Twitter feed is a dumpster fire. I was playing spot the white supremacists but it was too easy. It was like trying to find a gay at a Wizard if Oz convention.

I mean I would generally agree that for the most part these policy on policy comparisons are pointless and are falsely dichotomous. Because it's not necessarily a matter of doing one thing over another or one particular thing first for most people with these interweaving issues.

But what I'd say, and I'm sure you'll disagree, is that for Sanders this dichotomy isn't that false. He has lived and breathed his particular wheelhouse issues for as long as he's been in office.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
If they really do mount some independent campaign, won't it have to be someone who can draw moderate Democrats over? Otherwise it's just millions of dollars spent solely to fuck Trump over. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean I would generally agree that for the most part these policy on policy comparisons are pointless and are falsely dichotomous. Because it's not necessarily a matter of doing one thing over another or one particular thing first for most people with these interweaving issues.

But what I'd say, and I'm sure you'll disagree, is that for Sanders this dichotomy isn't that false. He has lived and breathed his particular wheelhouse issues for as long as he's been in office.

Yes, we simply disagree, then. I think by and large the issues Sanders has chosen to focus his campaign explicitly upon are the most important issues facing America, and not products of a particular focus.

Holmes

A third party Republican running would be interesting. If the white vote is split in lot of Southern states, Clinton can win them with the black vote alone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A third party Republican running would be interesting. If the white vote is split in lot of Southern states, Clinton can win them with the black vote alone.

It'd certainly make things interesting, but they'd need to find the right person to do it.

Well, I'd also add that it's pretty rich for an old straight white man from lilywhite Vermont to say that the most important issue is my one that affects everyone (including you too), as opposed to the ones you care about more because they impact you more specifically.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'd also add that it's pretty rich for an old straight white man from lilywhite Vermont to say that the most important issue is my one that affects everyone including you too, as opposed to the ones you care about more because they impact you more specifically.

What people care about and their genuine welfare are not one and the same. Some Republican voters are genuinely motivated by racism, you would never have made the argument that because they care about it and feel it impacts them specifically, therefore any other assertions about what their interests actually are must be false. In this context, this is just a pretty shady attempt at discrediting someone on the basis of incidental features.

This is not to say that you ignore what people care about, but there's a reason there's more papers in sociology on false consciousness than you can shake a stick at.

smurfx

get some go again
Don't call me HUEHUEHUE. It's not bait, I don't make it all about me, and it's not funny. In the Trump road the whitehouse plan thread I made a small number of simple posts, that's all. I am bating no one because I am not a troll. This is getting hurtful.
HUELEN10
HUEHUEHUE

come on mods please make it happen. what if kristol gets ron paul to run?

Yeah, can we please cut it out?

The "who died and made you" etc. argument is really damn tedious. There are lots of people who think the Democrats are insufficiently progressive. They are voting for the candidate that is saying that. Sanders isn't the Ultimate Final Arbiter of Real Progressivism or whatever, but he happens to be the most prominent person pointing this out. Perhaps if the Democratic Party had some actual young talent willing to try and move the Democrats in the right direction, they'd be in this position instead, but instead the Democrats are facing a dearth of talent and instead choosing to rerun the losing candidate from last time around, so the disaffected have to make do with Sanders.

LOl the re-run? You mean the woman who got the second highest popular vote count in Democratic Primary history, the woman who required a once in a fucking life time candidate to come along in order to be defeated and still came within serious striking distance of defeating him.

Yes a re-run....

Crocodile

Few people want minimum wages jobs (not saying they all suck of course but most people would prefer to aim higher if they could) but they take them because some money is better than no money. Raising the minimum wage improves the lives of those who work minimum wage jobs but doesn't address why people of color work minimum wage jobs more often than others. This is a bit of a non-sequitur though since pretty much all Democrats want to raise the minimum wage - its just a matter of how much and how fast which (surprise!) turns out not to be an easy answer free of consequence.

This is kind of the stickler though, no matter what economic issue you address, people of color will still lag behind. That's why you have to put issues of racial inequality at the forefront. Even if you deeply care about it, you can never give the impression its a second tier issue. I feel we've discussed time and time again how certain issues are bigger priorities for different segments of voters. This is one of them.

Haley moving South Carolina to being a Kansas/Louisiana like failure.

http://www.thestate.com/news/politi...s-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article80631387.html

She's the only electable Republican right now and that's not going to be the case in 2020.

It's so weird the the GOP keeps wanting to fuck the "small government" chicken but time and time again it just ends up making the lives of its constituents just worse. Like obviously there is an ideal range of "government size" and too much of almost anything is bad but for the GOP they always want it down to a size to where it becomes near non-functional. Sigh.

Paskil

Hue, I love you even though I don't understand or agree with you. I love all my fellow people, even if I think they are aggressively awful (the awful bit is not directed at you).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Few people want minimum wages jobs (not saying they all suck of course but most people would prefer to aim higher if they could) but they take them because some money is better than no money. Raising the minimum wage improves the lives of those who work minimum wage jobs but doesn't address why people of color work minimum wage jobs more often than others. This is a bit of a non-sequitur though since pretty much all Democrats want to raise the minimum wage - its just a matter of how much and how fast which (surprise!) turns out not to be an easy answer free of consequence.

This is kind of the stickler though, no matter what economic issue you address, people of color will still lag behind. That's why you have to put issues of racial inequality at the forefront. Even if you deeply care about it, you can never give the impression its a second tier issue. I feel we've discussed time and time again how certain issues are bigger priorities for different segments of voters. This is one of them.

I agree, but this is now a slightly different issue. I have no idea how the government actually tackles entrenched racism within society itself. I think it can make sterling progress on institutional racism, given that it actually runs the institutions, and there's absolutely no reason for America's justice system to be as horrifically racist as it is. But how do you tackle, for example, subconscious bias, where people attribute negative qualities towards particular races despite saying that they favour racial equality? This isn't just people lying, incidentally, even minorities have less favourable opinions towards minorities, a damning indictment of how entrenched racist norms can become. What does the government do to undercut these?

From what I've studied of this topic, racism tends to be positively correlated with low self-esteem, as people use the in-group/out-group discrimination to buttress their sense of self-worth, lack of security, because people subconsciously try and reduce the complexity of the world by tying everything to simple characteristics, and low income, because at low incomes people feel threatened by the relative gains of others - much of society is predicated on status symbols and when you're poor much of what you have is status symbols (for more discussion, see: http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/matthewclair/files/sociology_of_racism_clairandenis_2015.pdf).

Well, it turns out that economic inequality is actually the best way of addressing almost all of these issues. People have higher self-esteems when they feel like they have productive and meaningful work, their economic security is increased, and they obviously have higher income. So these things aren't separable. One of the most effective ways of reducing racism in society rather than just racism in institutions is to focus on economic inequality.

What people care about and their genuine welfare are not one and the same. Some Republican voters are genuinely motivated by racism, you would never have made the argument that because they care about it and feel it impacts them specifically, therefore any other assertions about what their interests actually are must be false. In this context, this is just a pretty shady attempt at discrediting someone on the basis of incidental features.

This is not to say that you ignore what people care about, but there's a reason there's more papers in sociology on false consciousness than you can shake a stick at.
This seems somewhat paternalistic tbh. I'm not sure from where you arrive at the conclusion that the issues a given minority voter may care about more couldn't affect their particular welfare more.

Crocodile's post also raised a relevant point in noting that something like raising the minimum wage only affects a given group more because there are more of them in that wage level to begin with because of ingrained racism.

I agree, but this is now a slightly different issue. I have no idea how the government actually tackles entrenched racism within society itself. I think it can make sterling progress on institutional racism, given that it actually runs the institutions, and there's absolutely no reason for America's justice system to be as horrifically racist as it is. But how do you tackle, for example, subconscious bias, where people attribute negative qualities towards particular races despite saying that they favour racial equality? This isn't just people lying, incidentally, even minorities have less favourable opinions towards minorities, a damning indictment of how entrenched racist norms can become. What does the government do to undercut these?

From what I've studied of this topic, racism tends to be positively correlated with low self-esteem, as people use the in-group/out-group discrimination to buttress their sense of self-worth, lack of security, because people subconsciously try and reduce the complexity of the world by tying everything to simple characteristics, and low income, because at low incomes people feel threatened by the relative gains of others - much of society is predicated on status symbols and when you're poor much of what you have is status symbols (for more discussion, see: http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/matthewclair/files/sociology_of_racism_clairandenis_2015.pdf).

Well, it turns out that economic inequality is actually the best way of addressing almost all of these issues. People have higher self-esteems when they feel like they have productive and meaningful work, their economic security is increased, and they obviously have higher income. So these things aren't separable. One of the most effective ways of reducing racism in society rather than just racism in institutions is to focus on economic inequality.

This is why a white nationalist (George Wallace) was so successful in politics during the time of the least economic inequality in American history and how Barry Goldwater got nominated in the same time period.

User1608

Banned
Won't an Independent candidate screw them (GOP) over with their base for quite some time to come, too? I assume they'd feel betrayed.

That would certainly be nice.
*Edited cause I'm drunk

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are you from Europe crab?

I was born in Australia. I currently live in Europe, and most but not all of my ethnic make-up is European. I am functionally white insofar as that you would not know I had Arab heritage unless I told you.

You do you. <3

tumblr_inline_mlmo7ppU0h1qz4rgp.gif

I think it's woefully optimistic to think that by increasing the economic security of the straight white man in randomtown Alabama they'll suddenly be completely okay with my boyfriend and I's PDA.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's woefully optimistic to think that by increasing the economic security of the straight white man in randomtown Alabama they'll suddenly be completely okay with my boyfriend and I's PDA.

And I think that's a woefully simplistic reduction of what I'm saying.

Hypothetical side note I wonder what Sanders as hypothetical President would be willing to give up (if anything) in terms of social issues, be it abortion rights and what not, to get strong concessions in favour of his economic ideas.

And I think that's a woefully simplistic reduction of what I'm saying.

I honestly don't see how. You argued that if poor whites weren't self-conscious about being poor, that it would alleviate racist tension (which is my understanding of your argument). I disagree strongly. A lot of people are racist because they've created a straw man of other people that's pretty terrible, and they use that to justify that hatred.

I don't know how to fix that, but it's not just income inequality (since solutions to that have always been plagued by racism).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't see how. You argued that if poor whites weren't self-conscious about being poor, that it would alleviate racist tension (which is my understanding of your argument). I disagree strongly. A lot of people are racist because they've created a straw man of other people that's pretty terrible, and they use that to justify that hatred.

I don't know how to fix that, but it's not just income inequality (since solutions to that have always been plagued by racism).

I'll respond to this tomorrow, it's past 1 AM here and this deserves a longer post.

Night all.

itschris

The Atlantic - A Dialogue With a 22-Year-Old Donald Trump Supporter

This is a war over how dialogue in America will be shaped. If Hillary wins, we're going to see a further tightening of PC culture. But if Trump wins? If Trump wins, we will have a president that overwhelmingly rejects PC rhetoric. Even better, we will show that more than half the country rejects this insane PC regime. If Trump wins, I will personally feel a major burden relieved, and I will feel much more comfortable stating my more right-wing views without fearing total ostracism and shame. Because of this, no matter what Trump says or does, I will keep supporting him.

I do have some worries about Trump. I really do. If I lived in Ohio or a swing state, I might even be more worried. But I see this overwhelming PC culture, especially online. I get frustrated by the dialogue of letting immigrants into the country without control, letting Black Lives Matter protest without consequence, watching qualified Asian and White students lose places in universities and companies in the name of diversity. I worry about how companies are taking on the rallying cries of these causes, particularly the monopolies that Google and Facebook have.

This may be something of me being 22 and feeling that we have time and can take risks. With Hillary Clinton, we have a stable America, sure, but one where we have to police what we say in fear of being fired by an overly liberal manager. With Trump maybe we can restore some sanity to this country and fight back against this PC craze.

Gross.

A HuffPost blogger posted this earlier today: https://archive.is/bERJ6

HuffPost has since removed it but if you notice, he plugs his movie at the bottom. HuffPost allowed this guy to post anti-Clinton fan fiction to plug his movie.

A lot of these sites are putting up articles for every faction in the election to drive views. It's amusing but they aren't even trying to operate under any type of journalistic integrity. Even the traditional newspapers are getting in on this game like the Washington Post and NYT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom