• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

So if he loses California...is that the end?

No.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...ders-says-campaign-isnt-over-if-he-doesnt-win

Bernie be like:

Breaking-Bad-Were-Done-When-I-Say-Were-Done.gif

I already posted the fraud story a long time ago. You'll hear about this when Sanders loses California by anything less than 500k votes:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1209986

Nearly half a million California voters may be unable to participate in the state’s presidential primaries on June 7 as a result of confusion in the voter registration process, a Los Angeles Times investigation has discovered.

Hundreds of thousands of Californians who intended to register as independents may have accidentally registered instead with the ultra-conservative American Independent Party (AIP), which opposes abortion rights and same-sex marriage, and calls for building a fence along the entire U.S. border.

The LA Times reports that “a majority of (AIP) members have registered with the party in error,” and that “nearly 3-in-4 people did not realize they had joined the party” after surveying registered members.

The Times had a team of Republican and Democratic pollsters contact a list of 500 AIP members, obtained through a public records request, who determined that “fewer than 4% could correctly identify their own registration as a member of the American Independent Party.”

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I mentioned that this week, and apparently CA sends out sample ballots and gives you the option to change ballots at that time? I forget who posted that.

most people are just going to show up on primary day and be surprised. not to mention the time to change has already passed.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
millenials don't check the mail

Ya got me there, haha.

That Barney Frank rant brings up one of the issues that I had called him on, why did he move to Vermont if he ever wanted to actually be president. It's one of the top 3 least diverse states.

Why you assume there are rednecks here? There are kinda...but still. :p

His girlfriend is vegan. Like I couldn't make this shit up. She brought wine. With a cork. To a BBQ.

My mom wants to hurt them. It's like Portlandia and Reddit had a baby.
Oh my god.. Oh my god.. These are the moments I miss Ohio. Oh Christ.

Edit-Damn Barney.

Drakeon

Has anyone mentioned Kristols tweet about an independent candidate roughly an hour ago?

Bill Kristol said:
Just a heads up over this holiday weekend: There will be an independent candidate--an impressive one, with a strong team and a real chance.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Frank for VP. Don't care if he's old. At least he can spit fire without a teleprompter, and Hillary needs that against Trump.

edit: If there is an independent candidate, watch a bunch of GOP folks who decided to give Trump their support go back and say they don't support him anymore.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think that's a lot of bluster from Frank. Sanders "white
Flighted?" That's kind of a loaded accusation.

I really want people to chill. The omg hot fire constantly from both sides is just giving the party a fever pimple.

Suikoguy

I think that's a lot of bluster from Frank. Sanders "white
Flighted?" That's kind of a loaded accusation.

I really want people to chill. The omg hot fire constantly from both sides is just giving the party a fever pimple.

I wish he included a couple of democrats other accomplishments other than just social progressive issues.

And yes, that's kinda loaded, should have used another phrase.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Frank actually gets Sanders point, though. Sanders sees progressivism as primarily an economic issue. The fact the Democratic party has served particular sectional identities well is something Sanders approves of, but he's fundamentally more concerned with having people from low-income backgrounds in these positions. That's definitely something I can sympathize with. Turning these things into the Oppression Olympics is never a healthy way for a debate to turn, but just statistically, I'd rather be middle class and a woman/black/Jewish/gay/Latino than I would be poor and white - you have longer life expectancy, better material quality of life, a more flourishing life given higher expected educational attainment, and so on as the former than you do the latter. To an extent this is a false dichotomy - being black or a woman or Latino obviously means you are more likely to be poor, and of course many poor people are gay or Jewish; there's a strong degree of intersectionality here and I'm just making the simple middle class minority vs poor white for clarity. But if anything, that just buttresses the point - if minorities are more likely to end up with worse incomes, then measures which improve the quality of life of the poorest therefore disproportionately help minorities. I think quite strongly that Sanders is right to say that the Democratic Party is simply not progressive enough on these economic issues. They may be better than the Republicans (not exactly an impressive bar to meet), but comparative to every other developed liberal democracy, America lags sorely behind in meeting the needs of the poorest. That can't be attributed solely to the Republicans; it's something that the Democrats should consider very keenly.

EDIT: Beaten by Suikoguy a little.

Crab, I thought about what you said yesterday regarding $15/hr minimum wage probably ending up on the official platform and while I agree with your assessment that the issue is immensely popular with the base, don't you think the cooler/more-moderate heads of the party will make sure it doesn't happen? I imagine the optics and viability concerns would make most of the DNC uncomfortable pushing this during the general, not to mention it puts them at odds with their long history of having factually based economic platforms.

ampere

Wow, us nerds getting fooled and Kev is disappoint

Frank is pretty fierce when it comes to Bernie so that was pretty believable

Suikoguy

Crab, I thought about what you said yesterday regarding $15/hr minimum wage probably ending up on the official platform and while I agree with your assessment that the issue is immensely popular with the base, don't you think the cooler/more-moderate heads of the party will make sure it doesn't happen? I imagine the optics and viability concerns would make most of the DNC uncomfortable pushing this during the general.

Yeah, and what's wrong with seeing how 12 dollars an hour goes? It's a huge jump as it is.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crab, I thought about what you said yesterday regarding $15/hr minimum wage probably ending up on the official platform and while I agree with your assessment that the issue is immensely popular with the base, don't you think the cooler/more-moderate heads of the party will make sure it doesn't happen?

I think she'll more or less accept it, but just increase the time-frame. If it was $15 by 2024 (instead of 2020 as per Sanders), and we assume that inflation will average 1.5% between now and then and productivity growth 1%, both of which are fairly pessimistic assumptions, then in real terms, that's the same as $12.29 in present value, which isn't hugely different to Clinton's present offer. It would be a very Clinton solution: policy wonkish sleight of hand that most people won't follow. She's also the sort of person who is probably already mentally preparing for the 2020 elections, and something like this means she can say "we have to defend this legislation so it can reach where it needs to be".

To move on from Huckster's immeasurable amount of shame, this was posted on r/enoughsandersspam

http://fecthebern.org/

Bernie FEC Violations
$3,078,740.91 in illegal contributions

To date, there have been 23457 excessive contributions from individuals totaling $2,958,841.64 and 1758 contributions from individuals with foreign addresses totaling $119,899.27 to Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign, in violation of federal laws.

royalan

I don't think Frank actually gets Sanders point, though. Sanders sees progressivism as primarily an economic issue. The fact the Democratic party has served particular sectional identities well is something Sanders approves of, but he's fundamentally more concerned with having people from low-income backgrounds in these positions. That's definitely something I can sympathize with. Turning these things into the Oppression Olympics is never a healthy way for a debate to turn, but just statistically, I'd rather be middle class and a woman/black/Jewish/gay/Latino than I would be poor and white - you have longer life expectancy, better material quality of life, a more flourishing life given higher expected educational attainment, and so on as the former than you do the latter. To an extent this is a false dichotomy - being black or a woman or Latino obviously means you are more likely to be poor, and of course many poor people are gay or Jewish; there's a strong degree of intersectionality here and I'm just making the simple middle class minority vs poor white for clarity. But if anything, that just buttresses the point - if minorities are more likely to end up with worse incomes, then measures which improve the quality of life of the poorest therefore disproportionately help minorities. I think quite strongly that Sanders is right to say that the Democratic Party is simply not progressive enough on these economic issues. They may be better than the Republicans (not exactly an impressive bar to meet), but comparative to every other developed liberal democracy, America lags sorely behind in meeting the needs of the poorest. That can't be attributed solely to the Republicans; it's something that the Democrats should consider very keenly.

EDIT: Beaten by Suikoguy a little.

I somewhat agree that this is ultimately Bernie's position as a progressive, but none this really matters to the witch hunt Bernie is currently on right now.

Bernie's critique of the Democratic party really has been that he doesn't view them as progressive enough, full stop. Money is usually the lenses by which he focuses his argument, but even then it's often a flimsy excuse used to attack people who he's perceived to have slighted him (see: calling a group of HIV Activists "shills for Big Pharma" for not endorsing him), nor has it stopped him from attacking other politicians/entities for their held social views. And let's not forget that Bernie has suggested that Hillary is not a real progressive for a host of reasons throughout his campaign.

But again, none of this really matters, because Bernie is wildly inconsistent. What he'll attack, what he'll criticize, and the basis by which he'll do it changes depending on what corner he's backed into.

It also begs the question: Who the hell died and made Bernie Sanders the arbiter of Real Progressivism™?

Basically, Barney's reading of him here (Fake Edit: if it's real), sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom