• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Return of the Hermanator?

trollman-cain.gif

mo60

So some republicans are still trying to push someone to run in the presidential race and that person will be revealed soon?What?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Oh my god yes. The chances of a electoral landslide rise precipitously if theres any oomph to the nominee they're hinting at. Or it could all be bullshit.

That's two sources on it now, i'm leaning more towards it being real than not. The question is who.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Nope, I don't think they can get on the ballot in TX.
Also, SC is not happening. But some of those others will be in play.

I could drive through all blue states to visit my brother :p

Holmes

We don't know if they're not on the ballot in TX. They could've been collecting signatures behind the scenes.

lol you guys jumping to conclusions again

I mean, this is a legitimate SuperPac that has spent real money this cycle. They invested in ground organization to deny Trump the nomination. There's no real way to read what they've put out there. I mean, that's a legitimate video saying there's going to be another option. I don't see them hopping on the Libertarian bandwagon.

Suikoguy

We don't know if they're not on the ballot in TX. They could've been collecting signatures behind the scenes.

How exactly does that work?
I thought the signatures and other stuff had to be in by now in at least a few states.

Unless it can remain private for awhile, but you would think you would hear murmurings from people who signed.

benjipwns

Banned
Ruth Sherlock ‏@Rsherlock 10h10 hours ago
#Trump deferred the draft at least five times for studies and then bad ankle. Speaks at #Lincoln memorial to honour veterans. #MemorialDay
oh snap

wat

mo60

If I recall Obama lost SC by about 10% last time(about 200k votes).If the third party candidate and Trump spilt enough votes it's very possible the democrats can take that state.

blackw0lf

So recently talked to one my former OFA alums who is now a field director in the Clinton campaign. Turns out that until she's the nominee, legally they can't use any general election funds, and they are almost completely out of primary funds. Which means that if Bernie contests the nomination till the convention, they will have practically no money for over a month, no money to fight Trump with. Practically no money to keep staff. (That's why she partly mentioned it, as she might lose her job till August since they won't have much money for staff.

Bernie taking this thing to the convention has bigger consequences than people realize.

Hmm, would be interesting to see if this helps turnout (gets Mormons and church going Evangelicals to vote) or hurts turnout (Republicans see the polls going Hillary=50, Trump=30, Romney=20 and know it's hopeless and don't go to the polls).

So recently talked to one my former OFA alums who is now a field director in the Clinton campaign. Turns out that until she's the nominee, legally they can't use any general election funds, and they are almost completely out of primary funds. Which means that if Bernie contests the nomination till the convention, they will have practically no money for over a month, no money to fight Trump with. Practically no money to keep staff. (That's why she partly mentioned it, as she might lose her job till August since they won't have much money for staff.

Bernie taking this thing to the convention has bigger consequences than people realize.

But Clinton isn't technically the nominee until the convention regardless.

GutsOfThor

Can someone explain Kristol's reasoning for doing this if it turns out to be true?

Wouldn't this piss off the republican base for years to come?

mo60

Hmm, would be interesting to see if this helps turnout (gets Mormons and church going Evangelicals to vote) or hurts turnout (Republicans see the polls going Hillary=50, Trump=30, Romney=20 and know it's hopeless and don't go to the polls).

I don't think the vote spilt between the independant candidate and trump will decrease trump's vote share to 30% looking at previous elections.Maybe the mid thirities, but trump does not seem to be doing that well in the polls right now so you never know.

One issue with Romney: No non-Mormons in America like him.

There's been a lot of talk about Republicans possibly nominating Romney or Ryan at a contested convention, but both under perform a generic Republican candidate. Romney is incredibly unpopular nationally now- his 23/65 favorability rating is even worse than the 29/63 Trump comes in at. Clinton (45/32) and Sanders (48/31) each lead Romney by double digit margins. Ryan would trail Clinton 44/39 and Sanders 45/38, numbers not terribly dissimilar to how Trump polls against each of them. It's not clear Romney or Ryan would do much to save the party this year.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/mitt-romney/

Teggy

Is there some un-named party that's been getting themselves on the ballot in all 50 states?

Also, I guess the fact that Trump isn't laughing off this story and saying he'll still win NY etc. etc. with an independent shows he's got a smidgen of sense in him.

smurfx

get some go again
what kind of republican candidate do they think can steal enough voters away from trump? a super religious candidate? whoever it is must be somebody who knows the GOP will likely break off any contact with them.

mo60

The only thing Romney does would be put Utah into play. I doubt he'd run again.

Yep. The republicans vote share in this cycle there will probably drop by like 10%-20% and a third party run will just hand the state to Hilary since trump's is not polling as well as other republicans polled there in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom