• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This supposes that if the GOP split, the non-crazy half would be the survivor.

It does, but it's something we'd have to hope for. One functioning party isn't enough on the national stage, especially if they don't have the majorities needed in each house to govern.

benjipwns

Banned
The thing is that the GOP faction that's splitting off is ideologically only pro-interventionist foreign policy. All the other stuff, that GOP voters actually care about, they don't care about. They're entirely flexible on it for political reasons. Like immigration because business wants it.

Except, the party base is against immigration.

And Trump's opposition to interventionist foreign policy is more "DO IT BETTER CUZ I DO EVERYTHING BETTER" than a Rand Paul/Mike Lee wing of supporting terrorist rights over protecting America.

Trump and Ted Cruz were like 2/3rds of the party, and the flocking to Rubio was because he's a liar betrayer treasonist on immigration but is orthodox on foreign policy. (Cruz isn't, but ultimately compared to Trump (or Rand) he'd be acceptable.)

I think the side that can win elections is inevitably going to be the survivor eventually. That's how two-party systems work.
Trump it is!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On a side note, looking at the Canadian basic income scheme is kind of uplifting. I have the pretty strong feeling this within the next 50 years, this will be universal across Western liberal democracies (excluding maybe America...) and it'll be one of those things like free access primary education and guaranteed healthcare that people just couldn't imagine life without.

mo60

This supposes that if the GOP split, the non-crazy half would be the survivor.

Most likely. But the non crazy half will probably moderate their views a bit to appeal to the rest of the voting population that does not vote for the GOP.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
On a side note, looking at the Canadian basic income scheme is kind of uplifting. I have the pretty strong feeling this within the next 50 years, this will be universal across Western liberal democracies (excluding maybe America...) and it'll be one of those things like free access primary education and guaranteed healthcare that people just couldn't imagine life without.

It's going to be a tough battle in america simply because of the image of Black People getting money for nothing. I've seen it when bringing up the subject with my dad who I consider only mildly racist. I can't imagine the response with some of my extended family.

benjipwns

Banned
It'll probably be a modified EITC type deal.

In other nations too.

You have to account for the bureaucracy you're threatening with a basic income. Also the fact that we can't allow anyone to spend money on things we don't want them to.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It'll probably be a modified EITC type deal.

In other nations too.

You have to account for the bureaucracy you're threatening with a basic income. Also the fact that we can't allow anyone to spend money on things we don't want them to.

When they get round to it, America will implement it as an NIT, for sure. Y'all are just too conservative not to.

benjipwns

Banned
When they get round to it, America will implement it as an NIT, for sure. Y'all are just too conservative not to.
Some relevant reading:
https://www.nytimes.com/books/98/10/04/specials/moynihan-income.html
The lessons stuck. On Aug. 7, 1969, President Nixon remarked that he had been reading a biography of Disraeli and of Lord Randolph Churchill. "Tory men and liberal policies," the President reflected, "are what have changed the world."

On Aug. 8 President Nixon announced the Family Assistance Plan, promoted by Daniel P. Moynihan, then his Assistant for Urban Affairs (and recently appointed Ambassador to India), over the opposition of many of the President's most conservative advisers. It would meet the most irksome of American problems--poverty--with the most direct and radical of solutions: money. All families with children would be eligible for a minimum stipend; no longer would the absence of a "man in the house" be a precondition for welfare.

A Republican President, elected in significant measure out of distaste for the dependent poor, thus proposed the adoption of a guaranteed income. F.A.P. was a kind of domestic trip to China, a triumph of pragmatism over ideology.

Or so it seemed at the time. Mr. Moynihan's new book, "The Politics of a Guaranteed Income," recounts how applause came from all corners: The Christian Science Monitor, Business Week, The Vicksburg Post, The Ottumwa Courier. 'TWO UPPER MIDDLE CLASS REPUBLICANS," ran a telegram quoted by Moynihan, "WHO WILL PAY FOR THE PROGRAM SAY BRAVO." Not until the Peking voyage was a Nixon initiative to receive such wide enthusiasm. In March of 1970, F.A.P. sailed through the House Ways and Means Committee, 21 votes in favor to three conservative Democrats opposed. A month later the full House concurred.

But that proved to be the end of the line. In the summer of 1970 conservatives on the Senate Finance committee riddled H.E.W. Secretary Robert Finch with hostile questions and helped force his resignation. The Administration revised the bill and began losing the liberals. The decisive defeat, on a Finance committee vote of 10-6, united Oklahoma New Populist Fred Harris and liberals Eugene McCarthy, Albert Gore and Clinton Anderson with the most mossy-backed of the reactionaries.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ons-pushing-a-guaranteed-basic-income/375600/
Friederich Hayek endorsed it. In 1962, the libertarian economist Milton Friedman advocated a minimum guaranteed income via a “negative income tax.” In 1967, Martin Luther King Jr. said, “The solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed measure: the guaranteed income.” Richard Nixon unsuccessfully tried to pass a version of Friedman’s plan a few years later, and his Democratic opponent in the 1972 presidential election, George McGovern, also suggested a guaranteed annual income.

More recently, in a 2006 book, conservative intellectual Charles Murray proposed eliminating all welfare transfer programs, including Social Security and Medicare, and substituting an annual $10,000 cash grant to everyone 21 years and older.

I think it's lazy policy. Basic income is pretty popular here on NeoGAF but I'm not sold on guaranteeing everyone a steady income just for being a living person. If there is a certain standard of living that is a human right in a modern country, then those items should be subsidized or provided without any cash exchange at all: healthcare, education, etc. By limiting the scope of wealth transfer we accomplish very specific goals and can more accurately determine their efficacy.

I'm still not entirely sold on a guaranteed basic income, to be honest. My opposition isn't fully formed (and probably partially based on the way I've been socialized/raised). It's one of those far left policies that I don't immediately salivate at, though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No idea why anyone would find a biography of Randolph Churchill that interesting, he quit the only important job he ever got in a tantrum and died of syphilis shortly after. People only remember him for being Winston's granddad. Then again, it was Nixon.

EDIT: smh at the false progressives above

kri$toffer and adam "wall street" adam part of the corrupt political elite

I think it's lazy policy. Basic income is pretty popular here on NeoGAF but I'm not sold on guaranteeing everyone a steady income just for being a living person. If there is a certain standard of living that is a human right in a modern country, then those items should be subsidized or provided without any cash exchange at all: healthcare, education, etc. By limiting the scope of wealth transfer we accomplish very specific goals and can more accurately determine their efficacy.

Guaranteed food, shelter is predominantly what it would be for.

kri$toffer and adam "wall street" adam part of the corrupt political elite
I'm a third-way tony blair sellout. At least I'm not an Atlantic seaboard delicacy.
There is good reason to believe that guaranteed income capabale of securing housing and food would lower everyone else's standard of living by dramatically increasing the demand for the lowest class of goods, raising the prices for most other people and pricing them out of higher tiers.

pigeon

Banned

This strikes me as doing extra work for the sake of it. We already have a system for quickly and effectively distributing every possible good a person might require, and it's called the market economy. Setting up additional separate distribution networks for each additional good we also want to give away for free is wasteful and inefficient -- not to mention paternal in its assumption that people can't be trusted with money. That's why studies have shown pretty clearly that when it comes to, say, giving aid to Third World countries, direct cash grants are far more effective than any other form of aid.

benjipwns

Banned
Nixon 2.0 had a thing for what we'd now call triangulation. That Disraeli/Churchill version of the concept would appeal to him.

But, we have programs for food and shelter, specifically. Now,we can argue they are underfunded (which they are) and that benefits aren't enough (which they aren't). I'm fine with expanding those programs based on financial need. I'm even fine with easing work requirements for able bodied adults. (And think we should do this immediately, to be honest).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Which would probably be healthier politically for the country as a whole. If one of our two parties becomes the party of Trump, and he's the kingmaker, then we're going to be in a state of panic every four years. We desperately need to have two functioning parties again, what we have now, or will have after this is over and nothing changes the trajectory, is not sustainable. The Dems being the only grown-ups in the room just won't work long term.

Except things wont change even with this third party candidate. A few candidates in swing district/states will use it as a scapegoat around attaching themselves to trump, the candidate gets 10% or less of the popular vote, and then everyone on the right gets mad that the third party candidate let Clinton be president, and we're right back to where things started.

The only thing that'll probably make them wake up is to start losing midterms and lose the house. Until then they'll have plenty of reason to put off any real soul searching,

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nixon 2.0 had a thing for what we'd now call triangulation. That Disraeli/Churchill version of the concept would appeal to him.

Yeah, I can see that. IMO, Disraeli was the first recognizably modern politician in the world. I mean, I disagree with everything he stood for, but you can't help but see he was ahead of his time.

benjipwns

Banned
Go into any food stamp thread here on GAF, where somebody buys lobster with it or whatever.

The idea that money is fungible is a secret and so programs like SNAP are paternalistic hoops to jump through with stupid all or nothing cut-offs is not to be spoken of.

benjipwns

Banned
Mass public housing was a disaster in this country (and really is most everywhere) because the incentives are all screwed up for everyone involved.

Voucher systems are better, but they still have strings, misallocated incentives and heavy crony potential.

And remember, all of these programs require people to pursue them. How many new Medicaid sign-ups followed the ACA that were simply people already eligible who never bothered? It was like 80% of them for a period there early on IIRC.

No-strings consistent "cash" is much simpler for everyone involved. Except the bureaucrats and cronies. And legislators. And David Brooks.

pigeon

Banned
If benji, Crab and I all agree on a policy it is either clearly the right choice or the dumbest thing in the world.

Figuring out which is an exercise for the reader.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Mass public housing was a disaster in this country (and really is most everywhere) because the incentives are all screwed up for everyone involved.

Voucher systems are better, but they still have strings, misallocated incentives and heavy crony potential.

And remember, all of these programs require people to pursue them. How many new Medicaid sign-ups followed the ACA that were simply people already eligible who never bothered? It was like 80% of them for a period there early on IIRC.

No-strings consistent "cash" is much simpler for everyone involved. Except the bureaucrats and cronies. And legislators. And David Brooks.
Best benji is best.

Also David Brooks is a man-sized toad.

If benji, Crab and I all agree on a policy it is either clearly the right choice or the dumbest thing in the world.

Don't make me second guess these things!

Holmes

Found a picture of Kev shitposting:

Cjq8obwXAAAjfYN.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

benji and I agree on everything except the things we don't agree on.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I also agree with benji on everything except the stuff that follows logically from the legitimate authority of the state.

Do you want him to... respect your authoritah?

benjipwns

Banned
Just to dig up an example (from WonkBlog) to show I was remembering at least it partly correctly, and to provide an example:
Washington, for example, counts a total of 381,000 people who have signed up for Medicaid since October. Of those, about one third -- 134,000 people -- are newly eligible for the program. An additional 63,000 were eligible already but are now signing up for the first time. And, last, 183,000 people were previously covered under Medicaid and were re-determined eligible to stay on the program.
Avalere, one of the best health research companies in town, has looked at trends in Medicaid enrollment prior to Obamacare, and compared them to the last three months of 2013, to estimate that between 1.1 and 1.8 million of the new sign-ups in Medicaid are due to the Medicaid expansion. That would be about 20 to 30 percent of enrollment coming from the health-care law.
And that's still only the eligible people who have chosen to sign up!

I know of a subsidy program in Michigan that had a 10% enrollment rate for the eligible. The department rather openly (in government circles) didn't want more sign-ups because of the work involved in each individual case.

They often tried to foster cases off onto other programs in other departments/agencies that were not truly applicable while not mentioning their own existing and more applicable programs.

This was before Rick Snyder got elected into office by PD too.

Under the premise of basic income is there a trade off in service provision. Or is the expectation that (in places these are provided as public good) they remain freely accessible.
If these are still provided freely then are the gains purported in simplification of wealth transfer still realised.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Under the premise of basic income is there a trade off in service provision. Or is the expectation that (in places these are provided as public good) they remain freely accessible.

Depends on who you ask/who is implementing it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

lol, sometimes the stars do align?

But seriously, implement basic income, you can even get rid of things like minimum wage. The primary reason minimum wage exists is to give the employee a degree of leverage, basically a written agreement that nobody will work for less than X number of dollars. Basic income would replace that leverage. Because, if someone wants to pay you 3 dollars an hour to work at something, and you don't like it, you don't have to take the job to survive. Shit, you can could probably even reduce workplace regulations to a degree because employees have the ability to leave if they don't feel safe. Don't get me wrong, not all regulations should go though ;)

It will get complicated though when it comes to determine what the amount should be combined with the differences in cost of living. Some of those differences should probably not be reflected as higher base income.

I'm out for the evening, so no more replied for awhile. Basic income is interesting to consider, and the ramifications of such a plan could be significant. But shit, it's 4:20 EST...

For sake of discussion, the favoured implementation of those proposing it here. Similarly, I suppose what other policy changes accompany it e.g. minimum wages are no longer necessary as noted above?

And at what level is the proposed payment set.

Someone at the BBQ I went to yesterday said that if his daughter didn't break up with her boyfriend he was going to "Put the fear of Trump" into him.

Is...is this a thing now? Ugh.

Johnson was on Joe Rogan a week ago or so; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIuHGbKckY

It was a interesting glimpse. I like what he said about isidewith. Of course he is like nader in that he believes in third parties, and he denounces tactical voting.
But his economic policies sounds... I've never heard anything like this. He essentially says that its possible to abolish nearly every kind of income tax.

Merkel and Hollande at Verdun. It's almost been 100 years... In one month. There is something ironic in the Brexit. And something scary.

A month from now, the centenary of the battle of the Somme will be upon us. Britain will be awash with commemorative reflections and remembrance events. And properly so. The Somme witnessed a million casualties in four months, with almost 20,000 British soldiers dead on day one, 1 July 1916. For Britain, the Somme is the natural emotional and memorial focus of the current first world war centenary remembrance.

Before that centenary is reached, however, it is worth remembering the wider European context of the sacrifice on the Somme. Militarily, the battle was part of an allied European campaign to launch simultaneous attacks upon Germany and Austria-Hungary in summer 1916. That coordinated strategy included the British and French attack on the Somme and the Brusilov offensive by Russia against the central powers in what is now western Ukraine. All these immense battles, however, were subordinate to the supreme strategic aim of breaking the German military pressure that had been building up against the French army around the town of Verdun since the German advance early in 1916.

The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more
If the Somme is always the focus of British memory in this centenary, for France – and to some extent also for Germany – that role is occupied by Verdun. Verdun is to the first world war as Stalingrad was to the second. Even in a war that set new standards for slaughter, it was a battle beyond compare. Shelled night and day, mined from below and continually rocked by artillery attack, Verdun’s attritional intensity and importance were unequalled. On both sides, killing as many enemy as possible was central. When it was over, there were so many unidentifiable human remains that the bones of 130,000 unknown dead of both armies were entombed together in the vast ossuary at Douaumont that commemorates Verdun. The military and psychological significance for France of Verdun cannot be overstated, and had much to do with its victor Marshal Pétain’s reemergence in 1940.

Verdun’s importance dictated that it was there, in 1984, that France’s president and Germany’s chancellor held hands in a symbolic gesture that embodied the two nation’s reconciliation. On Sunday, in the same cemeteries at Verdun, François Hollande and Angela Merkel stood where François Mitterrand and Helmut Kohl stood more than 30 years previously, and with the same message. As Mr Hollande put it, Verdun was where Europe lost itself 100 years ago and where it has now enabled Europe to come together for peace and friendship.

By the time Britain marks the Somme centenary, the result of the EU referendum will be known. But with three and a half weeks to go before the vote, we should make the imaginative effort to understand the Verdun centenary too. Just as British soldiers died for France on the Somme, so French soldiers died for Britain at Verdun. In a similar vein, Sunday’s reaffirmation of Franco-German reconciliation is an event that speaks for us, too. It is all too easy, after 70 years of European peace and 100 years after Europeans slaughtered one another on the western front, to ignore what has been achieved by Europe’s common institutions in providing a stability in Europe that did not exist there before. We in Britain have a responsibility to do our part to ensure that this stability and unity do not unravel. We should all remember Verdun.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...on-the-centenary-of-verdun-lessons-for-us-all

It's still almost impossible to understand the amount of death in such a short span of time.

Slayven

I'm going to get hella nerdy:

I have a huge problem with Magneto being in this image let alone right next to Red fucking Skull. Magneto hasn't bern a black hat villain in ages.

I also don't like Doctor Doom there either because he's more nuanced than that.

End nerd rant

Yeah that bothers me too. Magneto hates the Red Skull

Unconditional income as policy is equivalent to refusing to regulate over-the-counter derivatives. It will be a catastrophic calamity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom