• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, you need the megabucks at this stage and big connections. Might be Bloomberg, he has to fancy his chances given the other two candidates.

No way, Bloomberg isn't a neocon and said he'd only jump in if it's Bernie vs Trump. All he cares about is making sure the trains run on time, Hillary would do that so he has no need to jump in.

Plus he'd only jump in if he thought he could win.

Iolo

BBC Nightly News is going to cover the rumor of a new 3rd party candidate entering the race.

ChallengerApproachingFalco%28SSBM%29.png

Makai

This isn't just some joe shmoe startup website. This is THE website. Open source that shit and inspire a bunch of linux nerds to make the greatest website of all time. Devote national hackathons to finding exploits. Unit test every line. Commit to god-bless-america.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, you need the megabucks at this stage and big connections. Might be Bloomberg, he has to fancy his chances given the other two candidates.
Bloomberg already researched it and said if you didn't start an independent bid by the end of March it wasn't worth it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That's privileged talk until every citizen has free internet and a free device to use it.

Security/fraud issues aside, internet/phone voting as an additional option would only increase participation rates across all demographics including lower socio economic groups.

Otherwise you might as well call in person voting "privileged" seeing as you need suitable transport, the ability to take the time off, and the physical capacity to get there.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Romney running as an independent would be great for the Republicans, though. They've lost the presidential either way, but they'd get way more turnout which would have a big impact on all the senatorial/gubernatorial races. I'd totally run if I was Romney.

sphagnum

Banned
Most states seem to have erratic state-level behaviors that don't line up with national voting patterns at the federal level. How else do you explain that disgusting, worthless, offensive, vile Chris Christie?

Well, he was running against Corzine.

In the second election though? Yeah that was really embarrassing. But finally we will be free of him. It's been so satisfying to see his approval rating plummet.

He's not even a true New Jerseyan. He calls pork roll "taylor ham" AND likes the Cowboys.

Teggy

Security/fraud issues aside, internet/phone voting as an additional option would only increase participation rates across all demographics including lower socio economic groups.

Otherwise you might as well call in person voting "privileged" seeing as you need suitable transport, the ability to take the time off, and the physical capacity to get there.

Yeah, they could very easily just offer kiosks at a few commonly traveled areas like supermarkets or the post office for those who need it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they could very easily just offer kiosks at a few commonly traveled areas like supermarkets or the post office for those who need it.

That's effectively just voting machines, then. They have enough problems as it is without putting them in unsecured locations.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Romney running as an independent would be great for the Republicans, though. They've lost the presidential either way, but they'd get way more turnout which would have a big impact on all the senatorial/gubernatorial races. I'd totally run if I was Romney.

Yeah, I personally think an independent "Republican" will more easily secure Democrats the Presidency, but Republicans wouldn't be as badly affected down ticket.

Is Romney really going to jump in knowing he is going to lose, again, though? Trump will relentlessly call him a loser all the way through to election day and beyond. Maybe easier to swallow given he must already know the outcome, and his heart is truly just set of wrecking Trumps campaign and "rescuing" the GOP?

Paskil

This avatar switching nonsense is insane. Choose one and stick with it, or be like Hue and keep a theme. I've used two avatars since I sucked and fucked my way onto this site three and a half years ago. I changed to my second after I hit member status at three months, if I'm correctly recalling.

Iolo

To me, this sounds like when Republicans lower taxes across the board, but nearly all of the benefits go to the wealthiest.

What we need is mail-in voting everywhere.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, I personally think an independent "Republican" will more easily secure Democrats the Presidency, but Republicans wouldn't be as badly affected down ticket.

Is Romney really going to jump in knowing he is going to lose, again, though? Trump will relentlessly call him a loser all the way through to election day and beyond. Maybe easier to swallow given he must already know the outcome, and his heart is truly just set of wrecking Trumps campaign and "rescuing" the GOP?

If he views himself as an elder statesman doing what he has to do for the country, I could see it. Especially with the White Horse prophecy and all that.

Well, he was running against Corzine.

In the second election though? Yeah that was really embarrassing. But finally we will be free of him. It's been so satisfying to see his approval rating plummet.

He's not even a true New Jerseyan. He calls pork roll "taylor ham" AND likes the Cowboys.

The way Buono was hung out to dry in that election was disgusting.

Also, it's taylor ham. ;)

This avatar switching nonsense is insane. Choose one and stick with it, or be like Hue and keep a theme. I've used two avatars since I sucked and fucked my way onto this site three and a half years ago. I changed to my second after I hit member status at three months, if I'm correctly recalling.
My next one will be Martha Stewart to stay on theme.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What does Romney get out of running other than to spite Trump?

An actual campaign is a pretty heavy cost just for spite.

He could just suspend his campaign and never pay the debt back like all the cool kids.

HUELEN10

wtdWJAB.gif

benjipwns

Banned
Watch Ron Paul come back, lol
This would be funny.
"I think it would be better for the Republican Party if he left the Republican Party," Kristol said on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" Tuesday.

Kristol, the founder and editor of The Weekly Standard, argued that Paul's fellow candidates and others in the GOP are wasting time and energy trying to prevent Paul from running as a third-party candidate by placating his candidacy and giving his views credibility.

"A lot of people, and I was one of them, said goodbye and good riddance. You’re not in the mainstream of the Republican Party, go run as a Reform Party candidate, as an independent candidate," Kristol said, referring to Buchanan.

Kristol claimed that Buchanan's departure helped the Republican Party because his views differed so far from the mainstream.

"Ron Paul’s a little different from Pat Buchanan, but he’s no better, in my view, and I actually think the Republican Party will be benefited in the long run, but even in the short run," he said.

Many Republicans worry that if Paul were to launch a third-party candidacy, he would siphon votes away from the eventual GOP nominee and help reelect President Obama.

Kristol dismissed those concerns.

"I don’t think anyone should plead with him not to run or to stay in the party. I would be comfortable in a general election if Mitt Romney or Rick Santorum or Newt Gingrich were standing as the Republican in the Reagan tradition and debating both Barack Obama and Ron Paul," he said.
Paul's "fundamental position is anti-American, let's be honest about it. He does not like the United States"
The Republican party is not going to take seriously, ultimately, someone who thinks we're responsible for 9/11, and who thinks we don't have serious threats around the world, and a serious obligation to help those who stand for liberty and decency around the world.

Romney would get like 6% of the vote though, let's be real. It would be a devastating blow to movement conservatism if he ran because it would show that the overwhelming majority of voters in the GOP are just interested in racism.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
To me, this sounds like when Republicans lower taxes across the board, but nearly all of the benefits go to the wealthiest.

What we need is mail-in voting everywhere.

I don't think you'll find many voting access options that don't disproportionately the wealthier. Almost every option is going to be easier for the wealthier to use, unless you specifically undertake targeted initiatives such as setting up more polling stations in lower socio economic areas.

If you just want to increase participation in aggregate, then online voting would be a great option, especially for future election cycles as connectivity rates increase (again, security issues aside).

And, you could improve mail-in options and polling station numbers and whatever as well to improve access for all demographics including the poor.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The previously rumored Rick Perry would probably be the most fun option.

Couldn't even crack double digits in the primary and joined after his home state's deadline to get on the ballot, but only him and his smart guy glasses can save the conservative movement as we know it.

All the stuff on Queens website is 20% today if you use the code twenty at checkout. She personally texted me to let me know. She's so thoughtful.

HUELEN10

That reminds me, anyone know a good place to buy vintage or used campaign Merch? I kinda wanna get some classic campaign buttons and stickers, and some current Merch without directly supporting any candidates monetarily, just to keep the playing field even of course.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
All the stuff on Queens website is 20% today if you use the code twenty at checkout. She personally texted me to let me know. She's so thoughtful.

Now I ain't saying she a gold digger...

Paskil

It's gonna be Jindal with Brownback as VP.

*Action movie trailer voice* Neither was content just to destroy their own state, Jindal announced his third party candidacy on May 30, 2016, otherwise known as the Ebony Timeline™. In order to lend their candidacy the proper gravitas and weight, Jindal duct taped himself onto Brownback shoulders in order to ride him around like a pint sized knight on his trusty steed. Jindal and Brownback swept across the country like a typhoon, destroying all in heir path. Pulling in diverse set of dissatisfied white voters from the right, far right, and extreme right, these two forces traveled in a pure state of frenzy towards November. America would never be the same.

HylianTom

Banned
You just saved me $7 on that Virginia shirt; thanks!
(Her desktop site wouldn't take my credit card last night, so I gave up - and then tried on iPad just now. Success!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom