• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Gallup poll.

No toplines (Gallup doesn't release them anymore)

Oz9cSxx.png

Can't believe decisive and strong is Trump's best stat. He walks back stuff he says within hours all the time.

True, but he doesn't do it in the normal "I was wrong about X, turns out Y is correct way." Instead, when asked about his previous support of X, he says "I've always supported Y bigly." He never looks like he's changing his mind, especially if you only see him a few seconds at a time.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sounds like someone that gets through the day by putting bailey's in his cereal.

I can almost feel the depression in that quote.

I'm glad Rumplestiltskin justified his existence this election cycle with that quote.

itschris

FiveThirtyEight: Hispanic Voters Will Decide Bernie Sanders’s Fate in California

VUMgqCr.png

So while the polls could be off by enough for Sanders to win California — I like his odds better than our polling model does — they could also be off in the other direction, meaning that Clinton could win by 15 to 20 percentage points. In 2008, Clinton significantly outperformed her polls in California, in part by winning the Hispanic vote 2-to-1 over Barack Obama.

You can check out this Wikipedia article to see the California districts with a Hispanic majority.

Mitch McConnell is a white nationalist almost surely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JtMX3p6d4

This video is horrific.
It's unbecoming but I'm going to have to disagree with you, here. Mitch McConnell was a civil rights activist in the University of Louisville as a college student. He also defected from many Republicans and sided with the Democrats to override Ronald Reagan's veto of the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act, because Reagan really was a racist.

Also, his wife is Asian.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Idiocracy was kind of a racist movie, not sure I want them associated with Hillary in any way.

Eh... I can see the argument for classist (it's all those dumb poors that are breeding, not the good smart educated rich folks), but I can't really think of anything in the movie at all that touched on race one way or another.

For those of you who are interested in Mitch McConnell's long history with civil rights issues, I recommend this piece by the NYT:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/us/politics/mitch-mcconnell-republicans-civil-rights.html

Eyes will now turn to Mr. McConnell, an early voice calling for the removal of the Confederate battle flag from the South Carolina capitol, after a major skirmish in the House this week over the use of the flag on federal land.

But Mr. McConnell’s interest in race issues was inspired by his upbringing in Kentucky by parents who opposed segregation. It was fermented on the campus of the University of Louisville, where he encouraged students to march with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. It was reinforced by his internship in the office of Senator John Sherman Cooper, a Kentucky Republican who helped break the Southern-led filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

It also surfaced during his first term in the Senate, when Mr. McConnell’s vote helped Congress override President Ronald Reagan’s veto of a measure imposing sanctions on South Africa during apartheid, and has persisted through his years in the United States Capitol, most recently last month, when Mr. McConnell stood before reporters and said that a statue of Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy, should be removed from Kentucky’s Capitol.

“This whole business of America moving past its original sin,” Mr. McConnell said in an interview, “has been over a big period during which I have lived.”
During college, he served as an intern in Washington and attended Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech in 1963 — “You could see a massive throng of humanity down to the memorial” — and wrote a college editorial excoriating opponents of civil rights. He worked as an intern for Mr. Cooper, opening mail, much of which was from constituents unhappy with the senator’s support for the Civil Rights Act.

Mr. McConnell, 73, recalled, as he often does, asking Mr. Cooper how he could handle the overwhelming pressure. His boss told him, “There are times when you are supposed to lead, and other times to reflect the views of your state, and I think it is time to lead,” he said. “That was pretty inspirational to a young guy just going to law school.”

In 2002, Mr. McConnell was one of the principal authors, with Senator Christopher J. Dodd, Democrat of Connecticut, of the Help America Vote Act, which helped modernize state voting systems after the debacle of the 2000 presidential election.

Update: The Vox editor that was suspended for encouraging riots was the guy that said the problem with liberals today is that they're too smug and that that's the reason (not the signing of the Civil Rights Act) as to why the "white working class" left the Democratic Party.

Emarv

Update: The Vox editor that was suspended for encouraging riots was the guy that said the problem with liberals today is that they're too smug and that that's the reason (not the signing of the Civil Rights Act) as to why the "white working class" left the Democratic Party.
So nothing of value lost to Vox.

itschris

CNN: Democrats weigh how to nudge Sanders out

Democrats in Washington have begun discussing how to encourage Sen. Bernie Sanders to end his campaign without alienating his legions of supporters, as party leaders grow eager to unite the party behind Hillary Clinton and provide a more robust defense for her candidacy.

In private conversations on Capitol Hill, senior Democrats are weighing how to persuade Sanders to step aside without appearing as if they are trying to strong-arm him out of the race. In a phone call last month, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid made the case to Sanders why it would make sense for him to leave the race after New Jersey and California vote on June 7, according to sources familiar with the conversation.

The widespread view, according to interviews with senators, House members and senior party officials, is that Sanders needs to see the writing on the wall himself: That he has no mathematical possibility to win the race and would be better-served to see his agenda enacted if he urged his backers to support Clinton.
"We will walk out of our convention with a nominee," Rep. Xavier Becerra, a California Democrat and active Clinton surrogate, told CNN. "We should be able to walk into the convention in a consolidating mode."

Some top Democrats privately say Clinton should consider the ultimate way to bring the progressive firebrand's supporters into the fold: Choose Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren as her vice presidential pick.

More at the link.
Hopefully all these rapid-fire posts aren't too much, just catching up with the news that broke while I was asleep!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So nothing of value lost to Vox.

Yeah, and honestly Vox is better than that.
Of course, any organization that does something Greenwald dislikes is probably doing the right thing, lol.

Yeah, and honestly Vox is better than that.
Of course, any organization that does something Greenwald dislikes is probably doing the right thing, lol.

Update #2: Zaid Jilani and Jeb Lund and the rest of The Intercept and Rolling Stones and Jacobin writers think that Vox is unjust in doing this.

So basically, it was a slam dunk.

Emarv

What proof is there that Sanders even thinks Warren passes his liberal purity test? I don't think I've seen anything about the two being friends.
Not for him, but for his supporters. There is clear love for her from a lot of his supporters (as well as some bitterness that she never endorsed him).

Crayons

Banned
Some top Democrats privately say Clinton should consider the ultimate way to bring the progressive firebrand's supporters into the fold: Choose Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren as her vice presidential pick.

YASSS do it

Emarv

Honestly, for purely selfish reasons, I hope Clinton doesn't pick Warren. I'm never one to wear buttons or volunteer or really publicly support even candidates I like. It's just not in my personality.

But I'm a bit of a Warren fanboy. I hate that I probably couldn't stop myself from becoming publicly political for my girl.

Sianos

The "too smug" accusation is pretty hilarious when it comes from offended "overly politically correct" Republicans, but it's just baffling when it comes from the far left with their nasty habit of levying purity tests against people.

I don't think the bevy of "thin-skinned Republicans" will ever stop being amusing to me. The irony is too rich.

For those of you who are interested in Mitch McConnell's long history with civil rights issues, I recommend this piece by the NYT:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/us/politics/mitch-mcconnell-republicans-civil-rights.html
Excuse me. Excuse me!
RTNs5En.png

Reagan vetoed the compromised bill on September 26, calling it "economic warfare" and alleging that it would mostly hurt the impoverished black majority and lead to more civil strife.
Wouldn't it make the president that signed the bill condemning south africans to Economic Warfare the Real Racist?!

kirblar

The "too smug" accusation is pretty hilarious when it comes from offended "overly politically correct" Republicans, but it's just baffling when it comes from the far left with their nasty habit of levying purity tests against people.

I don't think the bevy of "thin-skinned Republicans" will ever stop being amusing to me. The irony is too rich.
In the context of "white working class Dems", "too smug" sound an awful lot like "Uppity"

The criticism makes sense externally - it's a horrible way to speak to people who are genuinely ignorant on a bunch of stuff that 30yos and under are taking for granted due to growing up on the internet, but in the context of liberal-only politics? They've lost control of the steering wheel to "the other" and they're not happy about it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm really glad everyone seems to be on board with the idea that "winning over Bernie's supporters with a VP pick" does not involve picking Bernie as VP.

As it should be. I wouldn't feel comfortable having Bernie a heartbeat away from the presidency, which to me is the most important thing about a VP anyway. I still don't get why Warren would take the gig though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom