• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are seriously stupid enough to elect Trump if the economy dips? Despite all his flaws, lack of knowledge on how to actually fix said dip, the racism, facism and bigotry?

None of that matters anymore if the economy slumps a bit?

HylianTom

Banned
Whoa.. did Trump really say that listening to Hillary is "like taking Sominex?"

Do they even still make Sominex? What an odd reference. Definitely made me chuckle.

People are seriously stupid enough to elect Trump if the economy dips? Despite all his flaws, lack of knowledge on how to actually fix said dip, the racism, facism and bigotry?

It's not even close to a given, of course. But it's an X factor and would be a serious problem especially because it would probably drag Obama's approval way down.

thebloo

Once you bear-hug Obama, you take the good with the bad. So, yes, it will affect her numbers. I think that was the point of his speech 2 days ago, to preempt any talk about a tanking economy with numbers.

GutsOfThor

Gut feeling?

if we muddle-along to November, she's still quite favored. It might be less of a 2008-style laugh-along joyride and more of a 2004-style close electoral contest (where she doesn't get over 300EVs and we're waiting a bit later into Election Night).

It's going to take something absolutely dramatic to override her demographic and electoral advantages. If the economy has a 2008-style tanking? All bets are off.

(I've long held the belief that the check is in the mail for more economic turmoil, but I wasn't sure of the timing..)

Makes sense. If next months numbers look the same or are worse than I'll start to panic.

pigeon

Banned
Pretty concerning jobs report. Yes, it's going to get revised, but it definitely looks like job growth has slowed on average.

We also had less than one percent GDP growth last quarter.

Part of the problem here is that the dollar got stronger recently, which hurts manufacturing. Of course if the economy falls the dollar will weaken again.

Ultimately we need to wait another month or so to see what happens in the next report and how our GDP does. Keep in mind though that the labor market is already priced into the polls -- people in aggregate don't know about employment from the report, they know about it from their lives. So the benefit this would give Trump is already present, and probably part of the close polling right now.

God the OT jobs thread is like Bernie Sanders.

Discuss anything relevant to the actual report? Nope

Pivot back to canned talking points about UBI, Student Loans, U6 that no matter their relevance get mentioned in every economic thread? Yup

Yeah. I don't like blaming this all on sanders. Its not what he's preached at all. And its not like these aren't going to be hillary supporters in a few weeks.

Just condemn shitty behavior, no need for unsubstantiated shade

Can't argue with this part, but I think you can fault Sander's rhetoric for helping spur this sort of thing on. It's arguably a factor is all I'm saying.

Can't argue with this part, but I think you can fault Sander's rhetoric for helping spur this sort of thing on. It's arguably a factor is all I'm saying.
You blame this on Trump and trump alone. He's the one calling for violence and promoting conflict. Bernie just wants a bit of yelling.

Eh but Bernie hasn't done nearly enough to denounce some of the behavior exhibited by his supporters.
This is stupid. He's condemned violence.

We're comparing chair throwing to hitting someone till they bleed. This is Bernie hatred blinding people and then trying to find every excuse.

You blame this on Trump and trump alone. He's the one calling for violence and promoting conflict. Bernie just wants a bit of yelling.

I don't like blaming this all on Sanders, but I don't think he's blameless. That's all I'm saying.

Trump's supporters getting attacked is solely Trump's fault? That's... yeah no I can't bite off on that.

Hindl

Both Sanders and Hillary did. No buts either, just straight condemnation. Can't really rake Sanders over the coals for this one.

Cj_01v1UUAMPFEk.jpg:large

His backhanded comdemnation of violence was about as heartfelt as Trump's. Of course those on the Bernie side have not gone nearly as far so the scale isn't the same.

Edit: It's good to see there was finally an unequivocal condemnation,

ampere

Donald Trump is blatantly racist — and the media is too scared to call him out on it

Straight up. As a Latino, this ain't a dogwhistle anymore. Hillary needs to pound him over and over on this. If not just for the right reasons, do it for California. I don't care. Do something.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/3/11848382/donald-trump-racism-media

Step 1: Call Mexicans rapists and thieves
Step 2: Announce that you'll build a huge wall and deport many immigrants
Step 3: Anyone who has Mexican heritage is obviously biased against you and unfit to do their job!

The media had it's chance with the judge who is Mexican in heritage, and because of that is unfit to deal with his Trump U. case.

That has ZERO defense, he's not an illegal immigrant, it's not a political issue. It's blatant labeling based on ones skin/heritage and I'm very disappointed that Megan Kelly is the only one who really jumped on it.

The other stuff can be "argued", as in you can snake around the obvious racism by saying stupid shit and obfuscate it. This has nothing

Step 1: Call Mexicans rapists and thieves
Step 2: Announce that you'll build a huge wall and deport many immigrants
Step 3: Anyone who has Mexican heritage is obviously biased against you and unfit to do their job!

I believe the term you're looking for is, "illegal alien." Undocumented immigrant If you want to be more politically correct about it.

God the OT jobs thread is like Bernie Sanders.

Discuss anything relevant to the actual report? Nope

Pivot back to canned talking points about UBI, Student Loans, U6 that no matter their relevance get mentioned in every economic thread? Yup

Just to defend myself, although I'm not sure if this was in reference to my posts, I only brought up the U6 to an attempt to hedge that irritating distraction before it inevitably happened, and talking about student loan debt was in response to someone else.

And, I mean, plenty of people are looking in to the data and talking about it in that thread. I'm not sure what statements or positions you think are missing, but you can present them in the thread if you'd like!

Just to defend myself, although I'm not sure if this was in reference to my posts, I only brought up the U6 to an attempt to hedge that irritating distraction before it inevitably happened, and talking about student loan debt was in response to someone else.

And, I mean, plenty of people are looking in to the data and talking about it in that thread. I'm not sure what statements or positions you think are missing, but you can present them in the thread if you'd like!

No it wasn't you it was mostly the first couple of posts that generally never discuss the content of the reports but are the same few snarky posts in every economic thread

Pretty clear the mainstream media fucked the pooch on the Trump vs Judge story. They are interested in the fireworks, not on right and wrong by bringing both sides to discuss Trump's comments. This is similar to McCarthyism where people of certain backgrounds are labled communist sympathizers. So disappointed. Makes me almost want to wish Keith Olbermann was around.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5688664-181/skydiving-outfit-in-contact-with?artslide=0

Cloverdale, Sonoma County’s northernmost city, was abuzz with excitement Thursday over presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ planned rally Friday at the town’s airport. But just how he will arrive was the subject of rampant speculation.

Jimmy Halliday, president and jumpmaster at NorCal Skydiving, an airport-based business, said he had been told by Sanders staffers Thursday that they would offer the 74-year-old Vermont senator the option of parachuting into the rally site.

“I’ve been told they will run the idea by Bernie,” Halliday said. “I can’t confirm that’s the plan. I know that’s a possibility.”

The Sanders campaign did not immediately return a call requesting comment.

Halliday said his sport skydiving company has provided tandem parachute jumps for plenty of people in their 70s and even a handful of folks in their 80s.

“If he feels like going skydiving, I will personally take him,” Halliday said.

Halliday said he was initially approached on Wednesday by a Sanders staffer inquiring about the possible use of his skydiving facility. Later Thursday, Halliday said he had done a tandem jump with a Sanders campaign team member and all went well. But the campaign had made no decision and Halliday, still hopeful for the exposure of skydiving with Sanders, said it may not come about.

wut

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I've heard that superdelegates take into account the number of stunts and extreme sports a candidate takes part in when deciding who to vote for. Hillary's extensive career in motocross is why she's been doing so well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom