• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

itschris

So someone found that Sanders' billing of his Vatican trip to his campaign was questionable, to the tune of $613,000. How legal is this (or not)? This looks like a partisan and biased as hell website, though. http://www.politicade.com/confirmed...d-campaign-funds-for-overnight-trip-to-italy/ They post this image--

To make sure this isn't bullshit, looking at the FEC site, I can verify that there's a payment of $613k on 4/11 for air travel to his common chartering agent and lodging spent in Italy on 4/18 for ~$15k. The data is here, search for Bernie, hit the tab for expenditures. I apologize if this was already news somewhere, but I tend to follow the PoliGAF threads a good deal and never saw anything on it. A search for relevant terms in OTs 3-6 didn't get me anything.

Hmm, interesting. I'm certainly no expert, but looking at the FEC's regulations for personal use of campaign funds (PDF), this section jumps out:

(ii) The Commission will determine, on a case by case basis, whether other uses of funds in a campaign account fulfill a commitment, obligation or expense that would exist irrespective of the candidate’s campaign or duties as a Federal officeholder, and therefore are personal use. Examples of such other uses include:
(A) Legal expenses;
(B) Meal expenses;
(C) Travel expenses, including subsistence expenses incurred during travel. If a committee uses campaign funds to pay expenses associated with travel that involves both personal activities and campaign or officeholder related activities, the incremental expenses that result from the personal activities are personal use, unless the person(s) benefiting from this use reimburse(s) the campaign account within thirty days for the amount of the incremental expenses;

So I guess it's at the discretion of the FEC to decide whether the Vatican trip qualifies as a campaign expense.

watershed

Banned
A bit of a random question but why do people consistently link to or bring up Jill Stein in political discussions here on gaf? I never heard of her until people started posting her tweets in these threads and now that I've looked a bit more into her I don't understand her popularity or relevance. Can someone explain?

A bit of a random question but why do people consistently link to or bring up Jill Stein in political discussions here on gaf? I never heard of her until people started posting her tweets in these threads and now that I've looked a bit more into her I don't understand her popularity or relevance. Can someone explain?
Sanders people want to still feel superior to Democrats so they latch onto the easiest thing without really worrying about the platform so long as it lets them feel superior to rational voting.

itschris

Well, she's the nominee for the Green Party (this year and also 2012), the biggest left-wing third party. People who are fed up with the Democrats will often threaten to vote for her instead.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sanders people want to still feel superior to Democrats so they latch onto the easiest thing without really worrying about the platform so long as it lets them feel superior to rational voting.
It's really frustrating because the Green Party and Stein's platforms/ideas are insane. I wish people would actually research her instead of getting their ideas from meme posts on reddit.

mo60

I'm curious what happens if a third party or Hilary is able to get the support of enough whites in the GE to prevent trump from winning the majority of them.Would trump's electoral vote and vote share drop by a noticeable amount since he is mostly relying on that group to help him win the general. I just noticed that the last time a clinton ran the share of the white vote was ridiculously close between both bill clinton and the two republican candidates in 1992 and 1996.That is why I am asking this question.

thebloo

I'm curious what happens if a third party or Hilary is able to get the support of enough whites in the GE to prevent trump from winning the majority of them.Would trump's electoral vote and vote share drop by a noticeable amount since he is mostly relying on that group to help him win the general. I just noticed that the last time a clinton ran the share of the white vote was ridiculously close between both bill clinton and the two republican candidates in 1992 and 1996.That is why I am asking this question.

You can play around with this: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

Can I just vent a little about reddit here?

Goddamn the place has ridiculous tunnel vision. It's not even a discussion site for theae primaries anymore it's all just the same talking points about how Hillary is evil and will rot in prison. Nothing positive or hell even concrete about anybody's platform, why they deserve your vote. The place isn't talking about her winning the islands at all, nothing reflective about their candidate in r/S4P just a bunch of hyperbole about voter fraud.

How did it come to this? I know a lotta people had issues with HC before primary season even began, but at some point the dogs were really let loose. I dunno, maybe they're the correct ones here, but the posts I'm reading on GAF seem far more well reasoned than what I see there, even with tonnes of sourcing.

I'm just worried about how many people could just look at r/politics and assume, because it's a content aggregator, that there's no bias. Then again it's quite possibly the most biased thing I've ever seen so you'd hope people could think critically about it...

Maledict

Goddamn the place has ridiculous tunnel vision. It's not even a discussion site for theae primaries anymore it's all just the same talking points about how Hillary is evil and will rot in prison. Nothing positive or hell even concrete about anybody's platform, why they deserve your vote. The place isn't talking about her winning the islands at all, nothing reflective about their candidate in r/S4P just a bunch of hyperbole about voter fraud.

How did it come to this? I know a lotta people had issues with HC before primary season even began, but at some point the dogs were really let loose. I dunno, maybe they're the correct ones here, but the posts I'm reading on GAF seem far more well reasoned than what I see there, even with tonnes of sourcing.

I'm just worried about how many people could just look at r/politics and assume, because it's a content aggregator, that there's no bias. Then again it's quite possibly the most biased thing I've ever seen so you'd hope people could think critically about it...

The political discussion Reddit is much better, as they actually have mods trying to create a decent discussion environment. You have to remember that the mods for r/politics are openly Bernie supporters and deliberately created an anti-Hilary platform.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All major news outlets are saying 7-0 but I think they are getting their info from the AP. I dunno.

I'm gonna go check the Facebook pages of a couple of the delegates and see if I find anything. Stupid St. John. Smaller population plus more white folks gave Bernie a chance at a delegate.

Edit: super late, but if you want to celebrate USVI style, we make Captain Morgan rum here and Cruzan rum.

Well there was a reason /r/politics got removed from the front page a few years ago and it only got worse from there. Simplest answer is that Reddit tends to be popular with a certain, young demographic which skews discussions.

r/politics and r/worldnews are cesspits of Internet commentary. Worldness is worse because of total european nationalism, anti-muslim bigotry and xenophobia.

So I guess it's at the discretion of the FEC to decide whether the Vatican trip qualifies as a campaign expense.
Though I'm 100% convinced that he traveled for 100% personal reasons (and hate that), at the same time I cannot deny that some campaign-related happenings resulted from that. So, yeah, toss-up. Even if it was he that created the political aspect of it in the first place it was still there. A crummy loophole, but it is what it is.

In a time where the FEC had proper power and authority this stuff probably wouldn't and shouldn't fly. At minimum I'd love to hear a statement from Sanders on it! The campaign claimed it was so totally not for political reasons, after all. It was all about his personal feelings on the subject matter and not being able to deny an invitation to speak about it.
Well there was a reason /r/politics got removed from the front page a few years ago and it only got worse from there. Simplest answer is that Reddit tends to be popular with a certain, young demographic which skews discussions.
This is the more adorably polite way of phrasing it that I'm going to have to steal it i the future.

thebloo

r/politics and r/worldnews are cesspits of Internet commentary. Worldness is worse because of total european nationalism, anti-muslim bigotry and xenophobia.

I haven't dug deep because hell no, but a part of the euro comments seem to be made by Americans. Of course there's also confirmation from Europeans. But yeah, they were "made" for Trump.

ampere

Real and serious talk. I have argued with people who want dreamers to be deported and it really is frustrating. As much as we love the US and consider it our home, it wasn't our choice to have come here. That doesn't mean we're going back either just because you hate us for being here, to a place we know little to nothing about. It can mean certain death in many cases, like for me. Life is very grey and complex, like with our cases. Immigration remains the most important issue for me this campaign followed by lgbt (and civil rights in general, police brutality, etc) rights then the economy.

Until Trump loses I shall remain vigilant. Just needed to vent a bit. Again. I have built up too much here to lose it all to some loser racists.

We've got your back. Nobody picks where they are born, or who they are born as and it's horrible that some people want to punish based on those criteria. This entire country is an immigrant nation anyway!

The Obama legacy and civil rights for all must be protected and expanded.

dramatis

So someone found that Sanders' billing of his Vatican trip to his campaign was questionable, to the tune of $613,000. How legal is this (or not)? This looks like a partisan and biased as hell website, though. http://www.politicade.com/confirmed...d-campaign-funds-for-overnight-trip-to-italy/ They post this image--

To make sure this isn't bullshit, looking at the FEC site, I can verify that there's a payment of $613k on 4/11 for air travel to his common chartering agent and lodging spent in Italy on 4/18 for ~$15k. The data is here, search for Bernie, hit the tab for expenditures. I apologize if this was already news somewhere, but I tend to follow the PoliGAF threads a good deal and never saw anything on it. A search for relevant terms in OTs 3-6 didn't get me anything.
Code:
AIR CHARTER TEAM 	AIR TRAVEL 	KANSAS CITY 	MO 	64116 	04/11/2016 	$613,451
AIR CHARTER TEAM 	AIR TRAVEL 	KANSAS CITY 	MO 	64116 	04/18/2016 	$108,215
There's actually an additional charge from Air Charter a few days later too lol

Trip travel cost $721666, did they stay in Vatican City overnight?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
They are not highly regarding in drinking circles and are generally the easy go-to reference when someone make LOL BAD ALCOHOL TASTE joke.
But you do you adam, you do you.

p.s.
I personally think that if you like that type of taste and function (i.e. low alcohol fruity and easy to down), there are other option that I think at least worth exploring.
But for real, fuck alcohol snobbism, drink what you want and shank the world in the neck with your broken bottle of smirnoff ice if it makes fun of you.
In my day Zima* was the go to name drop to clown other people's taste in drinks. Simpler times.

Adam try some lambics, or some ciders. But like Chichikov said, you do you and F what anybody else thinks.

*or B&J wine coolers. Fuzzy Navel 4 life.

Holmes

I hate the "superdelegates don't vote until the convention" argument so damn much. Neither do the pledged delegates shfkdnslwmudkddsalw god

How do candidates pay for their own personal expenses (like rent, and other monthly bills) while they're campaigning? Assume that there's person running for an office (not necessarily president;maybe it's just for mayor) who isn't already independently wealthy. They obviously don't have a full time job that's making them money, since they spend all their time campaigning. So what do they do? Are they allowed to pay themselves a stipend out of the campaign funds? or what?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'd also like to point out that my vote worked out to 1/246 of a delegate. And about 1/125 for denying Sanders a delegate. Since I only voted because you guys encouraged me to stop being lazy and drive over there, that is probably the biggest impact poligaf has directly had on this primary, both in boosting Hillary's delegates count, but also in denying Sanders a delegate.

dramatis

I'd also like to point out that my vote worked out to 1/246 of a delegate. And about 1/125 for denying Sanders a delegate. Since I only voted because you guys encouraged me to stop being lazy and drive over there, that is probably the biggest impact poligaf has directly had on this primary, both in boosting Hillary's delegates count, but also in denying Sanders a delegate.
You're worth more than several of us combined

Although it's the only time your vote has an impact in 8 years, not 4

lol

Code:
AIR CHARTER TEAM 	AIR TRAVEL 	KANSAS CITY 	MO 	64116 	04/11/2016 	$613,451
AIR CHARTER TEAM 	AIR TRAVEL 	KANSAS CITY 	MO 	64116 	04/18/2016 	$108,215
There's actually an additional charge from Air Charter a few days later too lol
His family went with him. Maybe they stayed behind for a few extra days. To campaign.

Ooh, so close! Your vote is almost the most efficient of the entire presidential primary cycle! You almost beat the hilarious 215 people per delegate in one NY district. Congrats, regardless! Caucuses are still stupid!
His family went with him. Maybe they stayed behind for a few extra days. To campaign.
Yeah, there's absolutely no way you could claim that part would be campaign-related.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Caucuses are still stupid!

Part of the reason I didn't want to go was because I read the word "caucus" and was worried I would have to be there a while. Honestly this was a closed primary. I just walked in, gave them my id, got a paper ballot, filled it in, then stuffed it in a transparent box. In and out in less than 15 minutes.

#Fraud

How is someone supposed to spend money for a trip to Vatican during campaigning? I'm asking cuz I dont know. From his own pockets?
...Yes? He could have just flown coach by himself without the press corp and stayed at some cheap air b&b studio for a night. He chose to make a gigantic fuss out of it. Sure as hell didn't need to charter a 757.

I know it sounds like a witch hunt, but 4007 contributors deserve better than to have their $27 donation being used to keep his family in Italy for an extra day or two, if that's actually what this was. Would give Hillary shit if Bill and Chelsea did the tourist thing in a foreign country for a few days and billed it to the campaign.
Part of the reason I didn't want to go was because I read the word "caucus" and was worried I would have to be there a while. Honestly this was a closed primary. I just walked in, gave them my id, got a paper ballot, filled it in, then stuffed it in a transparent box. In and out in less than 15 minutes.

#Fraud
Caucuses vary a ton by place. You got the easy type. It's places like IA and WA that have the clusterfuck format.

dramatis

I know you're joking, but I think the 4/11 charge was upfront booking a flight, 4/18 was additional expenses incurred while flying (maybe). The day they went was 4/14-15 (maybe 16 too?), they just didn't pay the extra + lodging charges until 4/18?

Code:
BOSCOLO EXEDRA ROMA, 47	LODGING	ROMA 185 ITALY		ZZ	0	4/18/2016	$13,758.00 	M5	2016
STARHOTELS MICHELANGELO	LODGING	ROME 00165 ITALY	ZZ	0	4/18/2016	$871.00 	M5	2016
Note that they spent 14k staying at a luxury five star hotel in Roma lol

I guess the staff stayed at the other, 15x less hotel?

Fareed Zakaria reminded me why I like him so much, the complete lack of US humanitarian aid and refugee support for Syria is disgraceful.

Also Gary Johnson is on right now and I don't think he knows how to actually talk, its like he's struggling and putting the emphasis in all the wrong places in words.

Teggy

Embarrassing.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) criticized Sunday presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump's attack on the judge presiding on the federal case against Trump University, but refused to call it racist.

NBC News' "Meet the Press" host Chuck Todd noted to McConnell that Trump has said U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel's "Mexican heritage" is a conflict of interest in the case.

"Is that not a racist statement?" Todd asked McConnell.

"I couldn't disagree more with a statement like that," McConnell said.

Todd again asked if the statement was racist.

"I couldn't disagree more with what he had to say," McConnell said.

"OK, but you think it's a racist statement to say?" Todd asked.

"I don't agree with what he had to say," McConnell replied, adding that nearly all Americans have ancestors who have immigrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom