• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a white nationalist that isn't as clearly incompetent and dirty as Trump would be accepted by enough Americans to win in 2020.

Hopefully Hillary does well as president so we don't have a NeoNazi president four years from now.

Pretend to be Republicans right now. How do you fix this nationally? You need minorities, but the only base you've got hates their guts so much they'll never share space with them. You basically have to choose right now; definitely get white racists or maybe chip into minorities.

Either way, you're damned for generations on the national scale. I legitimately don't know how I'd fix this. If I was dictator of the GOP (where my decisions were law, no matter what), then I'd force the resignations of almost every GOP member nationwide, then run my own chosen candidates in each district/state so that our image would be completely separate from anyone currently in office. Yes, those dog-whistle-using reps from Oklahoma always win their seats, but they have a terrible effect on people in other states that you'll never win as a GOP candidate. If the GOP ever wants more seats in purple/blue states, they've got to clean up their safe red seats.

But that would require some insane realignment from the party to allow that many people to fall on swords for someone's plan. They'd never do it.

I'm not sure. Perhaps the biggest problem is that the south, which is a republican power house, is the breeding ground for most of the party's problems. That's where the fiercest of the Evangelical base resides, as well as much of the white resentment nexus. Like democrats in the 1960s, republicans face a problem in which they have to navigate between attracting new, more diverse voters while still appealing to a large part of the base that is disgusted at the very thought of that.

They can't simply dismiss the anti-gay people, and the last few years prove the Supreme Court didn't "solve" the issue for republicans by taking it off the table. Likewise they can't dismiss the rabid anti-immigration, anti-black portions of the party either.

Perhaps the best strategy is what they've currently doing: sabotage government and wait for the business cycle to turn. Wait for a 2008 type crash with a democrat in office and take advantage of it. Restricting GOP primaries and moving some southern states away from the beginning of the process could also help avoid another Trump/Cruz scenario.

The gift that keeps on giving:

Ckcy90GXIAAEX7b.jpg

I'm not sure. Perhaps the biggest problem is that the south, which is a republican power house, is the breeding ground for most of the party's problems. That's where the fiercest of the Evangelical base resides, as well as much of the white resentment nexus. Like democrats in the 1960s, republicans face a problem in which they have to navigate between attracting new, more diverse voters while still appealing to a large part of the base that is disgusted at the very thought of that.

They can't simply dismiss the anti-gay people, and the last few years prove the Supreme Court didn't "solve" the issue for republicans by taking it off the table. Likewise they can't dismiss the rabid anti-immigration, anti-black portions of the party either.

Perhaps the best strategy is what they've currently doing: sabotage government and wait for the business cycle to turn. Wait for a 2008 type crash with a democrat in office and take advantage of it. Restricting GOP primaries and moving some southern states away from the beginning of the process could also help avoid another Trump/Cruz scenario.

Northeast Republicans are super racist too though.

And the Western Republicans are less racist outside of Arizona, but are even more theocratic than Southern Republicans (Texas, Utah, Kansas, Idaho, Montana, etc).

NeoXChaos

1. Black people are just as religious as white evangelicals but you don't see the former going crazy over social issues. Why the disconnect you think?

2. Are white liberals just leaving the plains and southern states making it no chance they can become big enough down the road to replace the current crop of conservative whites or white kids are just becoming R like their parents?

HylianTom

Banned
.@NewtGingrich:
Totally misleading report about my talk at Bio this morning. In 90 minute dialogue made clear Trump is learning, a gifted amateur, will win

That's right, that's right.. make nice with him. Good man!

Northeast Republicans are super racist too though.

And the Western Republicans are less racist outside of Arizona, but are even more theocratic than Southern Republicans (Texas, Utah, Kansas, Idaho, Montana, etc).

True but the northeast is not the republican's power base, it's the south. And the west is similar (or at least, Texas is in terms of significance). Republicans can't afford to lose the south (or Texas), yet the influence of those states' politics are having the largest impact on the party's national implosion.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
.@NewtGingrich:

That's right, that's right.. make nice with him. Good man!

That's it, cozy up and get picked as the VP. My mother was aghast when I said he might be an option. Like literal open mouth shock and horror. I think she hates Newt in the same way Adam's mom hates Christie.

I love how literally no one switched away from Trump after Trump started accepting donor money.

Trump supporters fought so hard to pretend that they supported Trump because "he can't be bought!" but haven't talked about that much recently!

Still the telling stat: if Clinton wins DC next week, she'll have won every contest except Michigan where blacks make up 10%+ of population.

1 state away from a clean sweep :(

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/740624529194668032

thebloo

"The struggle continues" is tone deaf and stupid.

Calling someone an "amateur" in a Presidential race is really bad, even if you try to qualify it. If Newt is VP, I hope they run ads with it.

Adam is the best, almost cried reading that post.

Teggy

Trump: I don't have to raise a lot of money because I'm awesome and people want to give me free publicity.

"There’s no reason to raise that," Trump said about raising $1 billion. "I just don’t think I need nearly as much money as other people need because I get so much publicity. I get so many invitations to be on television. I get so many interviews, if I want them."

mo60

I think the best thing they can do is moderate themselves like the dems did in 1990's to win the 1992 and 1996. They need to make themselves more appealing to social liberals. They can't just wait for the economy to crash again to win.

I think the best thing they can do is moderate themselves like the dems did in 1990's to win the 1992 and 1996. They need to make themselves more appealing to social liberals. They can't just wait for the economy to crash again to win.

Who is going to vote for these moderate candidates in primaries?

Like 20% of Republicans are non-racists and non-theocrats... Duncan Hunter will crush anyone in 2020 who says "Latino men should be allowed to be judges." and "Muslims should not be put in camps."

The thing is that there's so few of them left that they basically are only the crazies.

And the ones that are left haven't ever voted before, or are European.

They think they hold more leverage than they actually do. They'd be lucky to make up even a single percent of the total electorate. And that's being generous.

I always wondered if big GOP donors would be more hesitant this year after Karl Rive accidentally scammed them for millions last time. Given Trump is on the ticket, I'd imagine them being even more nervous.

ampere

I'm definitely still thinking Bernie drops out after DC and way before the convention. Bams has probably laid down the law and Bernie might have really thought he had a chance at Cali

Reality is setting in for him. He's made this much more about him than about the middle class and it's pathetic

Neo asked if I cried last night?

Ya.

I cried with the video, seeing the struggle that women have gone through to just be treated with the absurd notion that they're people. I cried when the video mentioned the fight trans women are going through EVERY SINGLE DAY just to use the fucking bathroom of their choice.

I cried when she stood there, on stage, eight years after getting so damn close. I cried because she earned it, through blood, sweat and tears. No one handed her shit. She worked for it. I cried when she thanked Bernie and his supporters (as self serving as it may be) she reaffirmed that she has more class and grace in her pinkie finger than he has in his entire body.

I cried when my mom teared up. She never thought a woman would be nominated, especially after 2008. I cried thinking about how much my dad wanted to vote for her, but she was finally going to get to run...hopefully like a girl.

I cried when my 93 year old neighbor, an African American woman, knocked on my door to ask if we heard Hillary won. This is the woman my mom personally took to the polls on primary day to make sure she could vote. I cried when the two of them hugged each other and when she said she never, ever thought a Black man and a woman would be given the opportunity to run for the highest office in the country.

I cried because she won through a multicolored, quiltbag of people. Her coalition is women, African American, Latinos, LGBT people, progressives, liberals, rich and poor. It's about bridges not walls. It's made up of people who have said fuck you to Islamaphobia, racism, sexism, homophobia and every other invention small minds can come up with.

And I kinda got happy because I realized Trump has no fucking idea what is about to be unleashed on him. She is the perfect person to run against an asshole like Trump. She's dealt with men like him her entire life. Small brains, small hands, big egos and even bigger mouths. And she will own his soul.

And then...today, it just hit me that after this moment, there will never be another girl who wakes up in this country and thinks she can't be President. Because she can! She can run like a girl, fight like a girl and win like a girl.

And it was because of us, the Democratic party, that it happened.

:)

Good times. There might be bigotry in the world, be we gon FIGHT IT

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Guys my facebook is garbage today.

Where is that link breaking down the "Clinton lying for 13" minutes video?

I honestly think that if Bernie had won California it would have been easier for him to drop out. It would have been a validation, of sorts, for his campaign. He got curb stomped. There was no quarter for him. Obviously, DC is going to be even worse. Now he's going to go out having lost the state he, literally, threw everything he had at. He's broke. He's leaking support. He's lost a fuck ton of good will.

Diablos

I honestly think that if Bernie had won California it would have been easier for him to drop out. It would have been a validation, of sorts, for his campaign. He got curb stomped. There was no quarter for him. Obviously, DC is going to be even worse. Now he's going to go out having lost the state he, literally, threw everything he had at. He's broke. He's leaking support. He's lost a fuck ton of good will.
It wouldn't have mattered. He just would have yelled momentum etc. instead of saying the struggle continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom