• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do buy that it's tough to let go. I know that Cruz and Kasich didn't, but I think it's much tougher when you're in this (perceived) close, 2-person race.

Bernie will have to realize that he didn't lose because of superdelegates, because of coin flips, because of voter-by-mail, by the SCOTUS gutting the VRA, because of Roberta Lange, because of closed primaries, because of Debbie Wasserman Schulz, because of the debate schedule, because of the schedule of primaries, because of the AP call of the race, because of fraud. He's going to have to come to the realization that he lost because more people in the Democratic primary preferred Hillary Clinton to be their nominee. That's a tall order, especially when you think you came so close. But I imagine he'll take the next week to lick his wounds and realize -- as he said last night -- that Donald Trump cannot be the president of the United States of America.

Do you think refusing to stop your supporters from booing the Democratic nominee and refusing to drop out once your competitor clinches is helpful?

You said you think it's funny that he won't drop out. Either you somehow believe his current actions are beneficial to Hillary or you think that increasing the chances of a Trump presidency is a fun time.

Its funny because he is basically a troll now and yall are feeding him.

He did put his arms up to stop people from booing. But hey, if they are going to boo, they will boo regardless.

Hes already dropped out by default. Lost popular vote. Lost pledged delegates. Will lose super delegates at the convention. But, with all that said and done, he still got about 46% of the overall vote/delegates, and that deserves to be a huge sign that the party shouldn't just ignore what his supporters want. They should at least try to include him, but the whole point from the start was to not. He knew that at the beginning of the campaign.

HylianTom

Banned
I didn't cry last night, but I was beaming. And a bit intoxicated. I did get warm-fuzzy feelings when she took the stage; you could tell that she was a bit overwhelmed in the moment, so I felt happy for her.

This year's different from 2008. The contrast of moving from Dubya to either Obama or Hillary was going to be dramatic (especially if you're eternally bitter about Dubya's rise to power). Moving on that year felt like a relief.

This time around? Feels like we're on a mission. The stakes are high, and both sides know it. There's a grit-your-teeth, clench-your-jaws feeling to this one.

pigeon

Banned
They should at least try to include him, but the whole point from the start was to not. He knew that at the beginning of the campaign.

I feel like this is just factually wrong. If the Democrats actually wanted to exclude Bernie when he started running it would have been easy. Much easier than now! Couple of endorsements, hit pieces, people talking about how Bernie has never been a Democrat before, send a strong message to conventional Democratic voters (and most of Bernie's supporters are conventional Democratic voters) that Bernie's not in the party.

As far as I can tell, the Democrats wanted Bernie to run or at least were fine with him running. Because somebody had to run against Hillary!

ampere

So there's this interesting take from Ezra Klein at Vox about Hillary, that goes against what everyone, even her seem to agree on, that she's not a very talented politician.

I'm not sure I agree with all of it, it tends to gloss over the demographics of the race, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Yea I think we undersell her ability sometimes due to her not having Obama's charisma, but she has done so much grunt work and grinded this thing out over decades. That level of dedication is unbelievable

Gruco

Banned
BIG NEWS.

According to my sources, Hillary is all out her favorable Southern red states like California and South Dakota. At this point, the tables are going to turn and it's Bernie's time to shine. In particular, Democratic stronghold, the reliably blue District of Columbia will be voting next week. It seems pretty clear that Hillary will not meet the viability threshold and will have to be dismissed as a regional Southern candidate after this. That's why you see the establishment running scared! They know they are going to lose to president Sanders who will take down corruption, fraud, the establishment, and wall street in one heroic revolution!

=========

The more I think about it, the more I regret not running for president as a Bernie troll. Just put out daily press releases which say "Wow, Bernie Sanders only wants to raise the minimum wage to $15? A real liberal wouldn't settle for less than $200 an hour" or "Bernie Sanders wants to ban fracking, but has stopped short of my proposal to round up and imprison all frackers in the US. Why is Bernie so soft on the environment? Why don't you ask him where those $27 donations are coming from..."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ever wanted to hear FDR's speeches while milk is being poured on his head? Their Facebook page has a live video.

Clickhole is the best thing ever. Somehow they managed to outdo the Onion, I didn't think it was possible but here we are.

Yea I think we undersell her ability sometimes due to her not having Obama's charisma, but she has done so much grunt work and grinded this thing out over decades. That level of dedication is unbelievable

It's definitely a different kind of skillset than we're used to from our politicians. I mean, she managed to run as an incumbent without being one. That alone is crazy town. The postmortem of her strategy is going to be an interesting thing to take a close look at.

EDIT: I don't think it's going to revolutionize campaigns going forward or anything, but I bet it'll make you think.

Zornack

Its funny because he is basically a troll now and yall are feeding him.

He did put his arms up to stop people from booing. But hey, if they are going to boo, they will boo regardless.

Hes already dropped out by default. Lost popular vote. Lost pledged delegates. Will lose super delegates at the convention. But, with all that said and done, he still got about 46% of the overall vote/delegates, and that deserves to be a huge sign that the party shouldn't just ignore what his supporters want. They should at least try to include him, but the whole point from the start was to not. He knew that at the beginning of the campaign.

He put his arm up to quiet people so he could continue to speak, like he did when they would cheer at him.

There was a time when Sanders would stop his supporters from badmouthing Hillary and other Democrats, months ago. At some point he stopped doing that.

I'm not saying they should ignore sanders and his supporters. I'm saying that it's past time for Sanders to concede and endorse Hillary. Every thing he does has an effect on the general, most things won't change the outcome but they'll still have an effect. Staying in and refusing to begin the unification process only helps Trump win.

Crayons

Banned
Last night was amazing. I was so proud of this country but mostly of the Democratic Party. It's not perfect but it has given us fdr, jfk, Bill, Obama, and hopefully queen within 100 years. The republicans are a sack of shit and they must be shamed and dismantled.

You're right. Sanders really kind of turned me away from the democratic party. I've always supported democrats and called myself a democrat since I knew what the word meant. But the truth is that the democratic party, while not perfect, has given us so many amazing presidents, senators, representatives etc that have really been amazing for this country.

I'm a proud democrat.

California is so far south, it borders Mexico.

Bummer, hang in there. :(

Do you have particular qualifications? Like do you have a degree or particular field of expertise? One of my coworkers recently resigned because as a lawyer, she needs experience in healthcare rather than just being a policy analyst for food stamps. She was applying for jobs and even getting second interviews, but just wasn't nailing them shut. Many of her friends and the other candidates were all more seasoned. She went to work as an analyst for an insurer and is still closely working with the state mainly for healthcare compliance issues, but two years or so there will go a long way towards making her more marketable.

I am still in college working on my environmental science degree. I'm hoping to work with the EPA one day. Bush completely butchered them and took away their power. I've known this for a while but when I started taking political science kinds of classes it just got me so upset and frustrated with how little power they have. Right now I'm just looking for any sort of job, doesn't matter if its a cashier or whatever. Anything works for me.

He put his arm up to quiet people so he could continue to speak, like he did when they would cheer at him.

There was a time when Sanders would stop his supporters from badmouthing Hillary and other Democrats, months ago. At some point he stopped doing that.

I'm not saying they should ignore sanders and his supporters. I'm saying that it's past time for Sanders to concede and endorse Hillary. Every thing he does has an effect on the general, most things won't change the outcome but they'll still have an effect. Staying in and refusing to begin the unification process only helps Trump win.

I fully believe that he will, and after both conventions your going to hardly even remember this period this fall. I think its just basically much ado about nothing.

hawk2025

08primary-web3-master675.jpg

Source: NYT

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I fully believe that he will, and after both conventions your going to hardly even remember this period this fall. I think its just basically much ado about nothing.

We will see, but I don't see it, at least not in a more likely than not fashion.

Sometimes I wish there could be internal thread polls, i'd love to see what the consensus is on where people think Sanders will land the plane.

• Take it to the convention
  • Concede but not endorse
  • Concede and endorse
  • Concede and campaign for

Zornack

Given that he didn't mention super delegates, contesting the convention or the establishment last night, I don't see him taking it to the convention.

Emarv

RebeccaDRobbins:

.@newtgingrich: Trump “made a really stupid mistake last week, and it took him about 3 days to learn.” Calls Trump an “absurd amateur.”
Newt playing hard to get. I see you, Newt.

My opinion is he will concede and endorse at the convention and possibly campaign. But I think his campaigning this fall would be more as anti-trump.

Another FB gem

When did exit polls become this hallowed process that never gets the results wrong? They're literally just shitty polls that the media uses to try to be first when announcing winners.

You're absolutely right. That described my situation perfectly. II thought that he was a very intelligent man and the reason he kept pivoting back to "the one percent" and all that stuff, was to get his message out there. But eventually I came to the realization that that was really all he had to say. In the end, I felt tricked. And I didn't want to admit that I'd been tricked all along and that's why I was so reluctant to get behind Hillary 100%.. It's like a cult. I felt played. And still do

It was for a non-profit. And I'm not too good about being social. Oh well...

I was always a Hillary fan, but I super liked Sanders in the beginning. And had he run 8 years ago, I'd have been so thrilled with the guy since I was hardcore into Booker T. Washington arguments (that class is basically all there is to struggle). I was wrong then, and I'm glad I realized it before I wasted a vote on someone that I would later disagree with (and that's before his shitty personality got involved).

(Seriously I'm speechless).

Pretend to be Republicans right now. How do you fix this nationally? You need minorities, but the only base you've got hates their guts so much they'll never share space with them. You basically have to choose right now; definitely get white racists or maybe chip into minorities.

Either way, you're damned for generations on the national scale. I legitimately don't know how I'd fix this. If I was dictator of the GOP (where my decisions were law, no matter what), then I'd force the resignations of almost every GOP member nationwide, then run my own chosen candidates in each district/state so that our image would be completely separate from anyone currently in office. Yes, those dog-whistle-using reps from Oklahoma always win their seats, but they have a terrible effect on people in other states that you'll never win as a GOP candidate. If the GOP ever wants more seats in purple/blue states, they've got to clean up their safe red seats.

But that would require some insane realignment from the party to allow that many people to fall on swords for someone's plan. They'd never do it.

Zornack

My opinion is he will concede and endorse at the convention and possibly campaign. But I think his campaigning this fall would be more as anti-trump.

I think there'll be a lot of pressure from Obama and the DNC to do it before the convention in order to avoid protests.

Here is a list of states from Most White to Least White. Hillary's wins in bold (and DC is italicized because they haven't voted):

Vermont
Maine
West Virginia
New Hampshire
Iowa
Wyoming
North Dakota
Montana
Idaho
Kentucky
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Utah
South Dakota
Minnesota
Indiana
Kansas
Oregon
Missouri
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Colorado
Massachusetts
Michigan
Connecticut
Tennessee
Washington (state)
Arkansas
Florida
California
Arizona
Oklahoma
Illinois
Texas
Delaware
New Jersey
Virginia
Alabama
North Carolina
New Mexico
Alaska
Nevada
South Carolina
New York
Louisiana
Georgia
Mississippi
Maryland
Washington, D.C.
Hawaii

Whitest state that Hillary won was Iowa, followed by Kentucky. Most diverse state Bernie won was Hawaii, followed by Alaska, though the most diverse primary he won was Oklahoma.

lenovox1

. They should at least try to include him, but the whole point from the start was to not. He knew that at the beginning of the campaign.

That? Is simply false. Hillary Clinton's campaign couldn't have been more inclusive of him. She's even gone as far as to acknowledge the positive things he's done in his campaign.

The DNC couldn't currently be more inclusive of him, even going as far as capitulating to his demands with regards to the convention.

We will see, but I don't see it, at least not in a more likely than not fashion.

Sometimes I wish there could be internal thread polls, i'd love to see what the consensus is on where people think Sanders will land the plane.

• Take it to the convention
  • Concede but not endorse
  • Concede and endorse
  • Concede and campaign for

I'm down for after DC. I've bet on him dropping by June 17th (the Friday after DC). He's free to hold the line on "Let everyone vote!" but after that, there's no chance to change any media narrative from the current "Dude Who Definitely Lost Race is Still Running Race" and he can't handle that for a month and a half. He won't have the funds. His subreddit's backed off to only making like a few thousand calls now, and I think his May totals will be enlightening (even though I'm predicting that he drops before he has to release those numbers).

Paskil

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-sanders-surrogates-hillary-clinton/85598226/

Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley (the only senator backing Sanders) told The Washington Post Clinton had locked it up, and it was time to work on unity.

Actor Mark Ruffalo, who has been a prominent supporter of the Vermont senator, tweeted congratulations to Clinton and her supporters on Wednesday and said it was time to focus on pushing for progressive values.

Arizona Rep. Raúl Grijalva, also told The Washington Post that it was time to accept Sanders would not be the nominee.

Three Sanders surrogates.

Emarv

Trump asked on his belief in Christianity.

Not sure how many here have an evangelical background, but man. Karl Rove weaponized Christianity, but at least Bush sounded like he went to church as a kid. Trump sounds like he just heard about this Jesus guy from TV. Trump totally panders, and yet Obama and the Dems are the "fake Christians".

CT: Every president has called upon God at some point. Lincoln spoke of not being able to hold the office of the presidency without spending time on his knees. You have confessed that you are a Christian …

DT: And I have also won much evangelical support.

CT: Yes, I know that. You have said you never felt the need to ask for God’s forgiveness, and yet repentance for one’s sins is a precondition to salvation. I ask you the question Jesus asked of Peter: Who do you say He is?

DT: I will be asking for forgiveness, but hopefully I won’t have to be asking for much forgiveness. As you know, I am Presbyterian and Protestant. I’ve had great relationships and developed even greater relationships with ministers. We have tremendous support from the clergy. I think I will be doing very well during the election with evangelicals and with Christians. In the Middle East — and this is prior to the migration — you had almost no chance of coming into the United States. Christians from Syria, of which there were many, many of their heads … chopped off. If you were a Muslim from Syria, it was one of the easiest places to come in (to the U.S.). I thought that was deplorable. I’m going to treat my religion, which is Christian, with great respect and care.

CT: Who do you say Jesus is?

DT: Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence. Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind.

http://calthomas.com/node/985

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump asked on his belief in Christianity.

Not sure how many here have an evangelical background, but man. Karl Rove weaponized Christianity, but at least Bush sounded like he went to church as a kid. Trump sounds like he just heard about the Christ guy from TV. Trump totally panders, and yet Obama and the Dems are the "fake Christians".

http://calthomas.com/node/985

I’m going to treat my religion, which is Christian, with great respect and care.

Jesus to me is somebody I can think about for security and confidence. Somebody I can revere in terms of bravery and in terms of courage and, because I consider the Christian religion so important, somebody I can totally rely on in my own mind.

It is so glaringly obvious that he is pandering here that I don't even know what to say.

Emarv

"Remember when Obama led Amazing Grace in church during a eulogy? Nah, must be a Christian-hating Muslim faking it.

God told me Trump was his chosen leader and the one to lead our nation back to Godliness!" - My whole Facebook

Paskil

Establishment hacks tell Sanders to get in line.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-sanders-it-s-time-to-support-hillary-clinton

The No. 2 Senate Democrat has a message for Bernie Sanders: the presidential candidate can get either a warm embrace or a cold shoulder when he returns to the Senate, depending on how quickly he backs Hillary Clinton.

"That’s a critical element for his positive return to the Senate," Dick Durbin of Illinois told reporters Tuesday, hours before Clinton claimed the Democratic presidential nomination.

Bill Nelson of Florida said Tuesday that it’s time for Sanders to "stand down," urging him to use his new influence to unify the party to defeat Republican Donald Trump. "I think he will come back here with elevated respect and appreciation by his fellow senators," Nelson said.

Dianne Feinstein of California said Sanders needs to get on board quickly or he will be hurting the party’s chances in November. She also dismissed the idea that Sanders’ gambit might give him a bigger say in the platform.

"By ticking everybody off, I don’t think that’s the way to do it," she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom