• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotchaye

But how do you stop people spending money on related stuff? Like the example I gave of holding rallies on your dime and simply "inviting" a candidate to speak?

I don't think that that sort of thing is a big problem.

I don't think you should or really even can regulate spending money on political speech which is opt-in. Like, this is what Rush Limbaugh's radio show is, right? It's a massive in-kind contribution to politicians and groups Limbaugh likes. But it isn't objectionable because of the kind of thing it is - it's only objectionable because Limbaugh is awful. It's not like a typical political contribution because its audience is specifically seeking it out to hear Limbaugh talk. Your example strikes me as generally a good thing - if people want to hear a candidate they'll have opportunities to hear the candidate. If people don't want to hear the candidate then they won't go.

He will do everything in his power to make sure Donald Trump doesn't become president ...Except drop out! Holy shit, and even some DC pandering. And a fraud shout-out!

This man has problems.

He cannot get off the stump.

Now pandering to DC... but I agree with him. Oh God he's talking about California. Still not dropping but it sounded closer to happening maybe.

This is exactly what I remember too. Ugh. Bush was picking up a bunch of states as the polls closed and I was getting this sinking feeling even as I told myself they were all states he was supposed to win (which they were)... but there was just nothing encouraging for Kerry coming in from the results and it all just petered out over the course of the night. Ugh.

That was the thing. Early on there wasn't anything truly devastating, just a lot of little signs that things were going well for Bush based on the popular vote count and which states were being called after how long. I remember in particular being a little nervous about how quickly they called Virginia for Bush. But I could still tell myself it was early and his national numbers would improve and Ohio is still out and...

I think the closest thing I had to a single moment of realization what was happening was when they called Florida, but really it was just a gradual process of having my soul crushed little by little.

The other factor that made 2004 so bad for me was it was the first presidential election I voted in and the first in which I was really invested in the outcome. I followed the 2000 election to a certain extent but I'd liken it to watching a football game between two teams you don't care about. I had really bought into the media narrative that there wasn't much difference between Bush and Gore and I had been something of a McCain fan anyway. Elections before that I had been rooting for the Republicans because of course I was a Republican because my family was Republican but I wasn't really into politics and I have no memories of watching election night in 1996 or before.

I guess Obama will probably endorse her sometime after DC probably a few days after and Bernie will drop out the same week or sometime after.

As long as he's started landing the plane, as long as he's landing that plane...
He is trying to be as gracious as he knows how to be, in my opinion. But he still managed to put the seeds of doubt over the California results. He managed to use this meeting as a campaign stop in D.C. not that it matters. He admitted he'd be going to the conversation for his policies, hinting that it's not to steal the nomination. Ii think he was trying to reassure party leaders that he's not going to Bern it all down. Besides the pandering and California bits it was mainly a tone downed version of his stump speech.

He drops by Thursday of next week.

studyguy

Fully expect to have an Obama endorsement after DC at the very least.
No need to play chicken with the Sanders crew. They all get a vote as they want after DC, there's no invisible hand of the DNC pushing down on them or some other fraud bullshit they can claim if he endorses after DC.

It really doesn't matter anymore anyway, the ride is done. The presumptive candidate is announced. All that's left is for the DNC to act on it.

Just saw the Rasmussen poll. Looking good so far. I expect polling to stay at least +4 for almost the remainder of the election with some outliers of course.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I really don't get the bit about the vote being closer than expected at the DNC.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He is trying to be as gracious as he knows how to be, in my opinion. But he still managed to put the seeds of doubt over the California results. He managed to use this meeting as a campaign stop in D.C. not that it matters. He admitted he'd be going to the conversation for his policies, hunting that it's not to steal the nomination. Ii think he was trying to reassure party leaders that he's not going to Bern it all down. Besides the pandering and California bits it was mainly a tone downed version of his stump speech.

He drops by Thursday of next week.

He'll drop by Wednesday imo. DC gives him an out, especially if the margin is as expected. Obama won't want to sit on the sidelines any longer anyway, from reports he's been ready to go for a month or two now.

Teggy

This woman on MSNBC seriously just said that African Americans may just give DC to Bernie Sanders because he is for DC statehood.

I agree but I don't really think it's about the young left. When I was the young left I thought the same thing until 2004 forced me to reconsider my understanding of American politics.

I think it's endemic to, you know, youth and growing up in a politically segregated country.

Warren is too politically savvy to visibly ask for something she might not be offered. Hillary just needs to decide what she needs to accomplish with her pick.

I mean its not new but I think its amplified by social media and increasing segregation by political views.

I do think its specific to the left though as the right knows others disagree. Its kinda of their entire platform. Prevent the left from taking over

Holmes

CkhfRQ6WYAAKEJb.jpg

Hillary and Bernie finally gonna start working together to hear what Trump has to say.

He'll drop by Wednesday imo. DC gives him an out, especially if the margin is as expected. Obama won't want to sit on the sidelines any longer anyway, from reports he's been ready to go for a month or two now.
He will drop via press release. I have almost no doubt in my mind. I can't see him doing it any other way.

pigeon

Banned
He will drop via press release. I have almost no doubt in my mind. I can't see him doing it any other way.

Your virulent hatred is showing ;)

Bernie just gave a perfectly conventional concession speech (except for the part where he said he's going on to DC). He didn't ask for anything or make any demands and he said he's going to meet with Clinton to work together with her.

Why would he not give a normal concession speech after DC when he literally already gave one? If there's anything Bernie knows how to do it's give a speech he already gave.

I know that everybody hates the guy, but this is him falling directly in line and saying that he understands his responsibilities as a Democratic soldier now. Everything is fine. Bernie will endorse, he'll probably do the whole suspend the roll call jazz, Democratic unity. This is the end, folks. Time to let it go.

Bernie just gave a perfectly conventional concession speech (except for the part where he said he's going on to DC). He didn't ask for anything or make any demands and he said he's going to meet with Clinton to work together with her.

Why would he not give a normal concession speech after DC when he literally already gave one? If there's anything Bernie knows how to do it's give a speech he already gave.

I know that everybody hates the guy, but this is him falling directly in line and saying that he understands his responsibilities as a Democratic soldier now. Everything is fine. Bernie will endorse, he'll probably do the whole suspend the roll call jazz, Democratic unity. This is the end, folks. Time to let it go.

I thought this but I don't think it will happen now. There are too many rouge sanders delegates that will make this a shitshow unless sanders lays down the law. But even then Bernie or Bust is a think I don't think he has the ability to control

People need to chill on Sanders, some of his supporters are nutjobs but sooner or later the vast majority of his voters will move to Clinton.

He's not going to implode the Democratic party.

Emarv

Honestly, if this is the process we have to go through every time for greater campaign finance reform, I'm fine with it. Progress is good and I don't believe Bernie did any lasting damage to the party as a whole. In fact, on balance he most likely helped it.

He does owe me an apology for my Facebook and Twitter, though.

You call this a "democracy"? I am fucking seething at the moment and sick to my stomach, and Cenk is acting like he doesn't have a care in the World:

I got here about 8:15 [A.M.] and they tried to hand me a provisional ballot. I asked they why, they said the machine wasn't working. We tried to get the machine fixed, and then we realized I wasn't even on the voting roll, because they only had a voting roll that was three pages long. A high school student finally found the real voting roll after they told tons of people that they could only fill out provisional ballots because they weren't on the ["]voting roll["].

Here at Echo Park 90026, Bernie Country. Anyway I finally voted, I have my voting stub; I saw it go in the machine and it said it worked. But this is just, what they were attempting here, ..., if someone didn't speak up, none of these votes were going to be counted.

A caller (who could have been me, if I lived in California) into Thom Hartmann's show (who's "fallen in line" (for the good of the party...), but he looks like he's being forced to down a bottle of castor oil in this video :) ), who describes a similar "horrible" experience, plus he decided to witness practically the whole day's events at his polling station (twelve hours worth):

I was fully expecting shenanigans, so for the past week, every night, I've been checking my voter registration online, so I showed up in the morning and my name was nowhere to be found on any of the rosters. So I called the Register's Office and spent about two and a half hours on the phone and spoke to about four different people, and I was indeed within their system ... walked into polling place and handed phone directly to inspector ... and I was able to vote without having to do the provisional ballot.

So I proceeded to spend the next twelve hours 100 feet in front of my polling place. I warned people as they went in to not accept provisional ballots, and as they came out, I saw person, after person, after person with that dreaded pink slip...

From what I saw I am so angry and frustrated that so many peoples voices were not heard yesterday

Purely considering the California primary, Hillary didn't win shit, with the LA Times reporting that as many as three million ballots were yet to be counted at the end of Tuesday night. The LA Times also reported on the chaos on Tuesday, plus Breitbart, my source for Brandon's Tweets.

I dismiss out of hand those of you that repeatedly said that Bernie has run a terrible campaign, as we all know this is pure propaganda, as he has in fact run an amazing campaign, uniting oh so many people, but I will say that, if Obama was in Bernie's shoes, at this moment in history, he would be all over these millions of provisional ballots, and he would make damn sure an overwhelming percentage were counted towards the final vote tally. I'm not at all convinced Bernie's campaign will take the necessary steps to ensure history records the "real" winner in California, at least...

He's welcome to prove me wrong.

Edit: Hi Daniel

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
bwahahaha, oh Daniel B·

Just one step removed from a total meltdown. I look forward to it.

Daniel B·;206209448 said:
A caller (who could have been me, if I lived in California) into Thom Hartmann's show (who's "fallen in line" (for the good of the party...), but he looks like he's being forced to down a bottle of castor oil in this video :) ), who describes a similar "horrible" experience, plus he decided to witness practically the whole day's events at his polling station (twelve hours worth):

I'll bite:

Provisional Ballots are counted! They just have to be doubled checked. They are real votes and ballots. This is one of the most annoying things about this fraud stuff.

The whole point of provisional ballots is to allow people to vote if stuff like this happens!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly I worry for Sanders supporters who can't even admit he lost. Not the election but actually lost a single state. The mental gymnastics are crazy.

I remember how angry I was when Hillary said she wouldn't be making any decisions in her speech at the end of the 2008 primaries. But there's a way to end a campaign and you have to lay the groundwork first. Bernie is still going to be Bernie and he'll be annoying how he goes about it, but he's laying the groundwork.

pigeon

Banned
Daniel B·;206209448 said:
You call this a "democracy"? I am fucking seething at the moment and sick to my stomach, and Cenk is acting like he doesn't have a care in the World:

Purely considering the California primary, Hillary didn't win shit, with the LA Times reporting that as many as three million ballots were yet to be counted at the end of Tuesday night. The LA Times also reported on the chaos on Tuesday, plus Breitbart, my source for Brandon's Tweets.

I dismiss out of hand those of you that repeatedly said that Bernie has run a terrible campaign, as we all know this is pure propaganda, as he has in fact run an amazing campaign, uniting oh so many people, but I will say that, if Obama was in Bernie's shoes, at this moment in history, he would be all over these millions of provisional ballots, and he would make damn sure an overwhelming percentage were counted towards the final vote tally. I'm not at all convinced Bernie's campaign will take the necessary steps to ensure history records the "real" winner in California, at least...

Daniel, what do you think a provisional ballot is? Please be as detailed as you are able to be given your user interface paradigm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom