• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/donald-trump-supporters-boost-bernie-sanders-west-virginia-n571791

39% of Bernie Sanders supporters in the WV primary said they'd vote for Trump over Sanders in a GE matchup. Sounds like your standard Democratic party constituency in every other state across the nation, right?

Trump speaks to workers in ways that Clinton doesn't. After her recent coal industry comments, many WV miners fear that she won't protect their livelihoods. While Trump is a disgusting man who relies on hatred, his protectionist message is received pretty warmly by people whose jobs are rapidly being destroyed by neoliberalism.

Trying to move traditionally conservative voters to the left is a good thing. Because working class whites aren't going anywhere, trying to appeal to them by attacking the economic systems that oppress them is necessary.

The republican Kentucky race was a caucus.

Also the state Dem party is huuuge. The 2015 gubernatorial election was somewhat of an aberration (and hopefully not the start of a new trend).

That makes sense then.

Not really. The Republicans already have a nominee. Very few people are going to go our of their way to vote in a primary that's over.

Kentucky voted on March 5th for the republicans.

Trump speaks to workers in ways that Clinton doesn't. After her recent coal industry comments, many WV miners fear that she won't protect their livelihoods. While Trump is a disgusting man who relies on hatred, his protectionist message is received pretty warmly by people whose jobs are rapidly being destroyed by neoliberalism.

Coal is less about neoliberalism and more about environmental regulation. Where do you stand on that?

Iolo

YAS
YAS, CAROL

R3O9F7t.jpg

Trump's racist message is pretty warmly received by racists.

I don't know why we have to keep tiptoeing around that these "working class whites" are angry because they no longer hold as much sway compared to "those uppity coloured people and dirty rapist Mexicans."

Drek did not mention Clinton at all in his post...

Valhelm

contribute something
Coal is less about neoliberalism and more about environmental regulation. Where do you stand on that?

I think coal is an awful industry and shouldn't exist, but I'd like to see the coal industry be destroyed by bottom-up reform (such as a New Deal-style program to deliver new jobs) rather than letting one of the poorest parts of the United States become even more destitute.

Environmental regulations that put people out of work are necessary, but ought to come with protections for the people who might suffer. Unless I'm wrong, Clinton didn't offer any.

Drek did not mention Clinton at all in his post...

I apologize. I misread that as "40% of WV Sanders supporters would pick Trump over Clinton".

YAS
YAS, CAROL

R3O9F7t.jpg
As a kid I thought it was neat that a woman had such a big role in developing my favorite game but it's actually a pseudonym for some dude. I think for the guy who ended up becoming a big shot at Naughty Dog (Yasahura?) but I'm not sure.

Kite

Turned into TYT to hear the salt but its some random people talking about online dating and tattoos.. so boring zzz..

thcsquad

I think coal is an awful industry and shouldn't exist, but I'd like to see the coal industry be destroyed by bottom-up reform (such as a New Deal-style program to deliver new jobs) rather than letting one of the poorest parts of the United States become even more destitute.

Environmental regulations that put people out of work are necessary, but ought to come with protections for the people who might suffer. Unless I'm wrong, Clinton didn't offer any.

Wasn't the entire context of the quote about her protections for the people who might suffer?

I apologize. I misread that as "40% of WV Sanders supporters would pick Trump over Clinton".

Hillary announced a $30B plan to help coal country move on from coal, no one cared.

http://static.politico.com/b8/90/cb...billion-strategy-to-help-coal-communities.pdf

mo60

Am I dreaming or did 1% of the votes that were reported in the Kentucky democratic primary disappear. I remember it being at 99% the last time I checked on the NYT site.

Valhelm

contribute something
Hillary announced a $30B plan to help coal country move on from coal, no one cared.

http://static.politico.com/b8/90/cb...billion-strategy-to-help-coal-communities.pdf

Wasn't the entire context of the quote about her protections for the people who might suffer?

Help was offered for people whose jobs will be destroyed, which is good, but alternative employment wasn't given.

It's hard to fault Clinton for this, and Bernie Sanders could easily have made the same mistake, but job loss is an issue that needs to be touched with kid gloves when trying to garner votes.

sangreal

Lol CNN going on about how ""interesting" it is that the SoS in Kentucky supports Clinton affter some minor reporting hiccup in Pike

Tamanon

Banned
Help was offered for people whose jobs will be destroyed, which is good, but alternative employment wasn't given.

It's hard to fault Clinton for this, and Bernie Sanders could easily have made the same mistake, but job loss is an issue that needs to be touched with kid gloves when trying to garner votes.

Well, that plan talks about Job training, incentivizing businesses to hire, and the most important part "investment", which means hiring.

Short of telling someone they can have the exact same job, I'm not sure what more you can say.

Crocodile

-Thinks Sanders activism work and messaging is better on racial issues than Clinton
-Thinks Cornell West is a good surrogate
-Downplays racism in voting patterns of many "White-Working Class" voters (article postings, WV data, etc.)

Eh......not trying to hate on you Valhelm but this is not a good look in my eyes. I can't say I agree with any of these points :/

Corruption.

On the convention:
Ms. Arnold, who helped found EDGE, an environmental justice group based in Philadelphia, said she did not condone violence and hoped that people would find a way to voice concerns peacefully. But she said that Mrs. Clinton and other Democratic leaders attending the convention “should worry about what is going to happen.”

America.

I made around $100 when Benchmark first called it for Hillary, selling at 94c. Then that Pike County update came in, and I was able to get a bunch more Bernie No at 72c, which I just flipped for 97c. Great night.
Hey man, you've still got Oregon's spread. Most polls are predicting under 10 points but >10 is the favored share right now. Double your earings! I trust Benchmark with my life.

pigeon

Banned

She proposed a whole bunch of infrastructure programs, which is how governments create jobs.

I feel like you're just dancing from goalpost to goalpost here.

thcsquad

I have no argument that the optics was bad, but my point is that Hillary is the one candidate who honestly talks about a real plan to help, and her crime was mentioning the issue at all. And people wonder why she's grown to be guarded over the years.

Kangi

I made around $100 when Benchmark first called it for Hillary, selling at 94c. Then that Pike County update came in, and I was able to get a bunch more Bernie No at 72c, which I just flipped for 97c. Great night.

People who make money off this stuff are so going to miss Bernie next election cycle. Bernie believers on those websites tend to be such emotional buyers.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Trump's racist message is pretty warmly received by racists.

I don't know why we have to keep tiptoeing around that these "working class whites" are angry because they no longer hold as much sway compared to "those uppity coloured people and dirty rapist Mexicans."
If you don't scream the N word in a black persons face you are not technically a racist.

/s

ampere

I think because it's behind a paywall, but some google cache magic fixes that.

Yeah, probably.

Man I really shit the bed with policy research before the primaries. Fail fail fail

I guess since I figured Hillary was gonna win anyway I didn't do my due diligence, but still. Shame!

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/donald-trump-supporters-boost-bernie-sanders-west-virginia-n571791

39% of Bernie Sanders supporters in the WV primary said they'd vote for Trump over Sanders in a GE matchup. Sounds like your standard Democratic party constituency in every other state across the nation, right?

Hate to play the "to be fair" card for Sanders...but to be fair, it is WV. Hillary represents a continuation of Obama's policies, making her toxic in that state. Even among democrat voters.

People who make money off this stuff are so going to miss Bernie next election cycle. Bernie believers on those websites tend to be such emotional buyers.

Bernie and the people who didn't believe Trump could win in the face of overwhelming evidence. We'll never see an election like this one.

“White men in America and across the planet are partying like it’s 1999 following Trump’s decisive victory over the evil enemies of our race,” wrote Holocaust denier Andrew Anglin, who calls Mr. Trump “the Glorious Leader” on his Daily Stormer website, after the candidate all but sewed up the GOP nomination on May 3.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/white-n...nt-through-donald-trumps-candidacy-1463523858

Honestly, did you see this paragraph ending up in the WSJ three years ago?

Bernie and the people who didn't believe Trump could win in the face of overwhelming evidence. We'll never see an election like this one.
The best part is how those two sides basically feed into each other.

"Trump won't win, insurgent outsider candidates can't, just look at Bernie"

"Of course Bernie will win, look at how wrong everyone was about Trump!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom