• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
It really seems like Trump wanted to abort the fetus that turned into Tiffany.

C25aXQyUQAAJvaD.jpg

The picture on the left is now in the WH. Photoshopped hand or no?

C3MY07vWIAEiCda.jpg

joseph%20stalin%20with%20nikolai%20yezhov%20photoshopped%20out_edited-1.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rogue POTUS Staff
‏@RoguePOTUSStaff

POTUS calls for investigating voter fraud in states he lost actually an #UnholyTrinity plan. Results will aid "turnout control" efforts.

I'm leaning toward this account being fake.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tierney Sneed Verified account
‏@Tierney_Megan

Tierney Sneed Retweeted Tierney Sneed

FWIW an GOPer at retreat this week corrected me when I said "Obamacare" and told me they want to stick to calling it "Affordable Care Act"

This is actually really interesting to me. Are they going to just remodel the same plan and keep the name? Are they trying to destroy it and leave it with that name so they can blame democrats?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The turtle McConell is speaking up.

“I’m against lifting any sanctions on the Russians. These sanctions were imposed because of their behavior in Crimea, eastern Ukraine and now we know they’ve been messing around in our elections as well,” McConnell said in an interview with POLITICO on Friday. “If there’s any country in the world that doesn’t deserve sanctions relief, it’s Russia.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/mitch-mcconnell-trump-russia-sanctions-234281

Wilsongt

“I’m against lifting any sanctions on the Russians. These sanctions were imposed because of their behavior in Crimea, eastern Ukraine and now we know they’ve been messing around in our elections as well,” McConnell said in an interview with POLITICO on Friday. “If there’s any country in the world that doesn’t deserve sanctions relief, it’s Russia.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/mitch-mcconnell-trump-russia-sanctions-234281

T minus 30 minutes until Daddy Bannon has a talk with him.

Zukkoyaki

Not-Bad.jpg

But actions speak louder than words, Mitch. Let's see what you ACTUALLY end up doing.

tuxfool

Banned

Fuck what they say. All their words are utterly hollow and they're craven at holding to their convictions.

Chumley

Banned

His words mean fuck all, just like Rubio and McCain and every sitting Republican. When it comes down to it they all bend the knee to Trump no matter what.

Anyone know anyone working with/for the DNRC? I'm thinking of making some career changes and I'm interested in working there. They've got no job resources on their website tho.

So, Trump's SCOUTS nominee might need to clear a 60-vote cloture.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/316583-mcconnell-all-but-rules-out-filibuster-change

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Friday all but ruled out the possibility of a change to the filibuster rule this year.

McConnell made his comment in an interview with The Hill one day after President Trump said he wants Senate Republicans to strip Democrats of the power to filibuster Supreme Court nominees if they attempt to block his pick.

“Senate rules are a matter for the Senate and a lot of other people have opinions,” McConnell said.

“We’ve already adopted the rules for this Congress at the beginning of the year. Basically we didn’t adopt any because in the Senate rules are permanent, unlike the House which every two year adopts a new set of rules. We don’t.”

McConnell has argued throughout his Senate career that the chamber’s rules can only be modified with a two-thirds vote, a striking contrast from his predecessor, former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who triggered the nuclear-option in 2013 to shield executive branch and most judicial nominees from filibusters.

“It takes 67 votes to change the rules in the Senate. We saw one rather conspicuous exception to that a few years ago but no we don’t have any current plans on the rules,” he said.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...ident-international-holocaust-remembrance-day

“It is with a heavy heart and somber mind that we remember and honor the victims, survivors, heroes of the Holocaust. It is impossible to fully fathom the depravity and horror inflicted on innocent people by Nazi terror.

“Yet, we know that in the darkest hours of humanity, light shines the brightest.‎ As we remember those who died, we are deeply grateful to those who risked their lives to save the innocent.

“In the name of the perished, I pledge to do everything in my power throughout my Presidency, and my life, to ensure that the forces of evil never again defeat the powers of good. Together, we will make love and tolerance prevalent throughout the world.”

Maengun1

In a dream world, I would like to somehow not let trump fill the supreme court seat period. But I'm sure that's not happening. I'd settle for the dems growing a backbone and making sure his pick is ***somewhat*** non insane, and then, if god forbid something happens to RBG or Breyer in the coming years, BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK.

Repubs stopped Obama for an entire flippin' year, we can do 1 (or 2, etc.)

Unfortunately I think Kennedy or especially Thomas may want to step down, so we'll be getting a bunch of young conservatives

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Cross posting from the executive order thread:
Let's stop calling this shit "extreme vetting" it gives credence to the bullshit narrative that the process was substantially insufficient previously. Let's call it what it is, anti-humanitarian, racial/religious discriminatory entry policies.

The only candidate Democrats should consider is Garland.
Someone should convince Trump he can show up Obama by getting Garland confirmed where Obama failed to.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't want to push them to take nuclear option for the SCOTUS filibuster. I personally hope the SCOTUS filibuster lives on forever, only being taken nuclear if a party uses it to block every appointee by the president.

Honestly, the same should be done for cabinet positions. I hope that can be rebuilt at some point when it makes sense to.

Filibuster should go away for everything else, and it probably will go away for legislation once Democrats take control of congress and white house. I think McConnell's probably making a huge mistake not undoing it for legislation himself, but I'm not complaining.

Wilsongt

This... is pretty fucking terrifying.

https://www.autostraddle.com/i-was-...-someone-like-mike-pence-as-a-messiah-367057/

I grew up in the far-right evangelical conservative (Christofascist) movement; specifically, I was homeschooled and my parents were part of a subculture called Quiverfull, whose aim is to outbreed everyone for Jesus. I spent my teen years being a political activist. I was taught by every pastor I encountered that it was our job as Christians to outbreed the secularists (anyone not a far-right evangelical Protestant) and take over the government through sheer numbers. I was part of TeenPact, Generation Joshua and my local Teenage Republicans (TARS).

When the Tea Party rose in 2009, that was my culture. The Tea Party was step one. I was laying the groundwork for those elections in 2006. These people didn’t come out of the blue like it seemed. This plan, this Christofascist takeover of the US government, has been in the works for decades. When evangelical conservatism started becoming popular and more mainstream around the 1970s, the foundation was being laid for the tragedy playing out right now.

How do you do that? Well, you overturn Roe v. Wade, Griswold v. Connecticut, Brown v. Board of Education and Bob Jones v. The United States. Each of these decisions currently protects reproductive rights or non-discrimination based on race. As retribution, you amend the Constitution to discriminate against queers, trans people, women and people of color. Then, you make laws legislating morality. The only way to do this is to infiltrate the government; so Generation Joshua, TeenPact and other organizations exist to indoctrinate and recruit homeschooled youth who have ample free time to participate in politics. The biggest resources for teaching civil discourse are the National Christian Forensics and Communications Association and Communicators for Christ (since renamed Institute for Cultural Communicators). Through these programs we learned how to argue effectively. As students, we were taught critical thinking skills but given only a narrow view of what was acceptable to argue for. We were, after all, being trained to take over the country for Christ, literally. We knew how to perform logical gymnastics about abortion, Christianity and any evangelical talking point you could throw at us.

When we showed up to city council, local political party meetings and tours of the Capitol we asked intelligent questions, were respectful and had a vested interest in how our local political machine ran. We impressed every government official and staff member with our questions, earnesty and demeanor. In short, we were sneaky and polite Trojan horses; we had an agenda. Yes, even as 15-year-olds. It was forcefully handed to us by the adults in our lives who had been preparing for this since before we were born.

More at the think.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
lolol if Thomas steps down, do they replace him with another black self hating bigot or nah?

Probably nah. Can't imagine democrats going crazy over it being needing to be a filled by a black person again after that worked out so terribly with Thomas.

sphagnum

Banned
Cross posting from OT. Trump is so delusional that he thinks he actually won the popular vote and wanted to end the electoral college before McConnell talked him out of it.

President Trump told congressional leaders he was considering getting rid of the Electoral College, only to be talked out of it by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

During a meeting with congressional leadership this week, Trump said he was interested in using a national popular vote to determine the presidency, sources who attended the meeting told the Journal.

McConnell urged Trump not to do so, pointing out the lengthy recount in Florida in the 2000 presidential election and noting that a national recount would take even longer.

Trump eventually agreed and decided not to pursue the change, the report said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...et-rid-of-the-electoral-college-but-mcconnell

Trump tried to pull the Obamacare ads, everyone got super mad, and then Trump's team had to put the Obamacare ads back on and now he's fired up liberals to encourage people to sign up for Obamacare.

Masterful.

At this point, Trump could nuke Kentucky and Tennessee for no reason whatsoever and people would be calling it a distraction and part of a bigger play for Trump.

Its not pryor then. TBH I don't think they mind all that much an 8-8 court. I think dems seriously consider adding a seat if they win in 2020 if Trump gets two seats. Politicizing the court as an arm of the GOP is bad for the GOP. They like it the way it is. Conservative but not lochner.

I think Roberts likes the way it is now as well. I kind of wonder if it gets too conservative if we'll see Roberts shift more to the left to balance his court out.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If she had used Katy Perry's Roar instead of Fight Song she would have won handily.

Edit: riding into the DNC on a giant fire breathing mecha-tiger wouldn't have hurt either.

ayeorkean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom