• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Nick N
Realistically, how much can Trump bring to bear in prosecuting what I'm sure will be his new feud with the ACLU? Is there much he can do besides paint a target on them with Twitter and urge his sociopathic supporters to "take action?"

Dierce

Speaking as an outsider here but if this goes to the SC, how soon can they rule on it?
From what I understand a split decision (which would be the worst possible option for us) would still rule in favor of the lower courts and therefore the stay would remain. I'm not sure how soon though.

kess

We're barreling into the biggest constitutional crisis in decades with a vacant Supreme Court seat. Fuck all the apologists who carried water for the GOP on this.

ACLU got the stay, applied to the entire country.

Looks like Trump's heading to court.

I'm pretty sure, especially under the laws passed during Bush Jr's two terms, that the department of homeland security has complete jurisdiction here and that this is well within the power of the executive. The only caveat I can think of is that this can't apply to citizens, probably.

Diablos

I'm pretty sure, especially under the laws passed during Bush Jr's two terms, that the department of homeland security has complete jurisdiction here and that this is well within the power of the executive. The only caveat I can think of is that this can't apply to citizens, probably.
Ugh

I think it's completely legal to block immigration from certain countries, but I'm not sure they can bar permanent residents with proper documentation from re-entering the country.

thefro

So out of the DNC chair candidates (they had a forum in Dallas earlier today):

Pete Buttigieg is at Dallas airport with the protestors there, Tom Perez claims to be on the way. Jehmu Greene is on a flight from Dallas to JFK to join protestors there.

Haven't heard about the rest.

Edit: Jaime Harrison & Tom Perez are both there now with Buttigieg

I think it's completely legal to block immigration from certain countries, but I'm not sure they can bar permanent residents with proper documentation from re-entering the country.

We do all the time. It's called a no-fly list. It's why Mos Def can't get back in the country. Bush set up the framework for the fascists a long time ago.

Vixdean

Yeah they are never going to get a judge to throw out the EO entirely, Presidents have always had the power to do this sort of thing. It would be up to Congress to change the law.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah they are never going to get a judge to throw out the EO entirely, Presidents have always had the power to do this sort of thing. It would be up to Congress to change the law.

They can at least get it scaled back, which isn't nothing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Juliette Kayyem
Juliette Kayyem‏ @juliettekayyem

Hearing that customs officials in tears because they can't get guidance from White House, DHS not returning calls, etc and crowds growing.

Oh, okay

So this is a pretty cut and dry case then.

I hope so. There's a little precedent, too. There was a government policy in the 90s that required Vietnamese who were living in Hong Kong to go back to Vietnam to apply for a visa, whereas any other applicants could apply anywhere they want. A federal appeals court blocked it. It's not a 1:1 situation but still relevant, I think.

It sounds like Trump is planning on using the 1952 law to justify this, but that doesn't justify banning entire countries. He could probably narrow it down more and target certain groups, like other presidents have done.

Or maybe all precedent will be thrown out the window and it'll be upheld. Who the fuck knows anymore?

greatgeek

Banned
So if
when
Trump refuses to comply with a federal court order, then he be impeached, right? You would think that's impeachable.

Wilsongt

I am now in firm belief that Trump supporters who say this is perfectly fine are an absolute lost cause to anything logical. The Democratic party needs to reach out and harness that outrage to bring people to together to help them realize that they can make this all stop.

So if
when
Trump refuses to comply with a federal court order, then he be impeached, right? You would think that's impeachable.
They will just say Supreme Court is establishment/fake news. Jeffrey Lord will bring up Dredd Scott decision to explain why Supreme Court needs to be "reformed". And so it goes.

It's not legal to bar immigrants, based on national origin, as noted in the link above. That doesn't cover those who are temporary entrants.

Also, a religious ban, on top of being basically impossible to administer, would not pass constitutional muster according to Laurence Tribe.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not legal to bar immigrants, based on national origin, as noted in the link above. That doesn't cover those who are temporary entrants.

Also, a religious ban, on top of being basically impossible to administer, would not pass constitutional muster according to Laurence Tribe.

A religious ban seems blatantly unconstitutional. I'm not sure how they ever expected it to hold up in court unless they were going to go the Jackson route and tell the judiciary to go fuck itself.

That depends on if they convince somehow that Islam is an ideology and not a religion. It probably hinges on that.

royalan

So if
when

That's not the problem. Trump could be impeached now. Trump is currently in violation of the emoluments clauses of our Constitution.

Congress isn't refusing to initiate the impeachment process because there's nothing on Trump. It's because the Republicans don't want to, because they're scum, and Trump is their useful idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom