• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Joe Manchin is going to vote yes on Sessions.

Heitkamp will probably vote for Sessions as well and Donnelly also.
You serious? She better fucking not. I already tried to call her twice and her voice mail was full both times. Guess I'd better call again.

At least Mr. 9/11 is dumb enough to say this stuff out loud so it proves what we all believed it to be in the first place.
Remember when he let slip he knew about the next FBI development? Guy sure can't resist letting loose when he feels he's in friendly territory.

Well, I'm not exactly the one leading the movement. This is the energy that is out there. And I know there are regular posters in this thread who are a LOT more tuned in than I am who know it's true though they may not talk about it.

The people are tired. We are NOT in normal times, and Democratic voters are fed the fuck up with seeing our leadership capitulate. It's an absolute abandonment of the principles they claim to care about at this point.

Democrats better get a damn clue, or they're going to have to add one more check to a growing list of problems.

I feel you but it's fucking WV. Once that seat flips it's going republican for the next 100 years

Damn. "Even more importantly - completely changes how non profits can handle him. 501c3's cannot "campaign" or risk losing nonprofit status. /5"

I want some more eyes on this, but if this means the RNC can go "Sorry, ACLU! You used 501c3 funds to attack a political candidate. No more nonprofit status for you," hoo boy.

I'm pretty sure that language is the whole justification for SuperPACs, tho. "Campaign" is nebulous. The whole "targeting of conservative groups by the IRS" scandal was because they attempted to enforce that rule against blatantly political 501c3s and were roasted for it.

Unless I'm confused and that's 501c4s.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Honestly, if polarization continues to worsen, Democrats might want to consider a Senate 26 states strategy to get enough seats for a majority (30 to be filibuster proof).

royalan

Honestly, if polarization continues to worsen, Democrats might want to consider a 26 states strategy to get enough seats for a majority (30 to be filibuster proof).

It's not a question of if anymore. It's going to get worse. If the partisan divide is to be healed, this won't be the administration in which it happens.

Today should honestly cement that for those who are paying attention. Republicans stayed silent through Sandy Hook, and now they're staying silent as Trump institutes an actual Muslim ban.

Democrats need to prepare to go to war, because there will be no healing any time soon.

This really cracked me up

.eJwFwcENwyAMAMBdGAADIdhkG0QQSUVqhN1X1d179zWfNcxhLtUpB8B5S-V1WlFepTfbmftoZd5iKz9QVEu9nvZWAY8uBdr9hpSzCxQzBNx9JIc5UEIft0QweNjX7Ob3B34jISg.w4CHM0VH_agD8lPJYvlZpFiGMDI

BowieZ

Banned
It's not a question of if anymore. It's going to get worse. If the partisan divide is to be healed, this won't be the administration in which it happens.
This is why I posted that thread about a bipartisan unity memorandum.

The only way to heal the divide is to reach out with messages of compassion and commonality.

At least, in my opinion.

The only way to heal the divide is to reach out with messages of compassion and commonality.

At least, in my opinion.

Due respect dude, be we can't afford to be pacifists any more. Basic civil rights are under attack, the other sides is hoping we take the soft approach. The only way the divide gets healed is through capitulation. We are way past reasoning and thoughtful discussion. This is war, we have to fight it.

Sibylus

Banned

At least, in my opinion.

At what point are you going to fight for something? The fucking Reichstag is on fire.

BowieZ

Banned
Due respect dude, be we can't afford to be pacifists any more. Basic civil rights are under attack, the other sides is hoping we take the soft approach. The only way the divide gets healed is through capitulation. We are way past reasoning and thoughtful discussion. This is war, we have to fight it.

At what point are you going to fight for something? The fucking Reichstag is on fire.
I'm not advocating pacifism. I'm advocating active bipartisanship while also advocating civil protest. I know such a concept sounds airy-fairy and ineffective, but I don't see that there's any evidence of that.

And when these peaceful protests are hindered by Trump's cronies, then you have carte blanche to tear shit up. IMHO anyway.

Anyway, let's not derail again :)

Reminder: please protest lol

mo60

if you lose IN, ND, MO, WV and MT your not getting them back for a long time furthering the Democrats senate hole by 5 seats.

If democrats lose those 5 seats eventually new seats in republican strongholds or swing states will eventually open up for the especially in AZ. The democrats seat defecit would be less then 5 seats in this case unless they lose those 5 senate seats before AZ and other southern or western states become a viable path for a democratic senate majority.

royalan

I'm not advocating pacifism. I'm advocating active bipartisanship while also advocating civil protest. I know such a concept sounds airy-fairy and ineffective, but I don't see that there's any evidence of that.

And when these peaceful protests are hindered by Trump's cronies, then you have carte blanche to tear shit up. IMHO anyway.

Active bipartisanship is impossible in this government.

Teggy

Wow, Ivanka Trump tweeted a picture of her and her husband in formalwear about an hour ago. Dumb as a box of rocks.

Pixieking

Banned
Active bipartisanship is impossible in this government.

As has been noted before, active bipartisanship with anyone defending what Trump is currently doing is impossible. These are people who have been strung along the "Hillary is bad" party-line to the point where they have lost all reason and critical judgement.

The absolute plus-side, though, is anyone not deeply entrenched in Trump and the GOP's thinking is now a Dem voter. This will have solidified every single person who was on-the-fence about the two candidates/parties into one big anti-Trump/GOP mass.

NeoXChaos

If democrats lose those 5 seats eventually new seats in republican strongholds or swing states will eventually open up for the especially in AZ. The democrats seat defecit would be less then 5 seats in this case unless they lose those 5 senate seats before AZ and other southern or western states become a viable path for a democratic senate majority.

well of course but my scenario envisions come 2019 those 5 are now R making it 57+/- whatever happens to the D swing state senators from FL, VA, MI, PA, OH and/or Flake, Heller. You could argue OH too going away for the next x number of years if Brown loses making the deficit 6.

AZ, TX? and GA may not be ready for the next 2-4 cycles those 6 senate seats are up.

As has been noted before, active bipartisanship with anyone defending what Trump is currently doing is impossible. These are people who have been strung along the "Hillary is bad" party-line to the point where they have lost all reason and critical judgement.

The absolute plus-side, though, is anyone not deeply entrenched in Trump and the GOP's thinking is now a Dem voter. This will have solidified every single person who was on-the-fence about the two candidates/parties into one big anti-Trump/GOP mass.

I do think there's some merit here, like I know this isn't a legitimate news source or anything just some random website, but someone just shared this on my facebook:

http://distractify.com/news/2017/01...2&tse_id=INF_bdcc7840e4e011e6a03c354c456e1db2

It's just a collection of tweets from people who voted for Trump who already regret their decision.

Heck, even FoxNews's homepage has 3 liberal opinion pieces and only 1 conservative piece on the EO, mentions the airport protests under the headline, and has the Mosque arson prominently on the second tier of articles.

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

mo60

Trump's pretty much going to result in the creation of an anything but trump and maybe GOP(depending on the state) movement in the net four years or so similar to the anti-harper movement that helped kick him out in in 2015.

Chumley

Banned
Can you imagine people organizing the news for tomorrow right now? The amount of shit that has gone down since the executive order is head spinning, not to mention everything else that's happened. However they choose to report on it I just pray to god MSNBC and CNN do not try and make a single excuse for any of it.

Pixieking

Banned
I do think there's some merit here, like I know this isn't a legitimate news source or anything just some random website, but someone just shared this on my facebook:

http://distractify.com/news/2017/01...2&tse_id=INF_bdcc7840e4e011e6a03c354c456e1db2

It's just a collection of tweets from people who voted for Trump who already regret their decision.

On that note, the travel ban is going to affect Trump voters too! Who'd have thought?

https://twitter.com/KingTre_24/status/825561319982190592

Trump's pretty much going to result in the creation of an anything but trump and maybe GOP(depending on the state) movement in the net four years or so similar to the anti-harper movement that helped kick him out in in 2015.

There is the potential to hamstring the GOP, tying them to Trump and his actions until it dies. The majority of the party - including leadership - are silent. I have a bad feeling about the near-future, but a really positive feeling about the not-too-distant future.

Also:

Sarah Pinsker
‏@SarahPinsker

Hello and welcome to "What is My Senator Saying About the #MuslimBan?" Apologies for any mistakes, but here goes (alphabetical):

https://twitter.com/SarahPinsker/status/825543392977383424

mo60

On that note, the travel ban is going to affect Trump voters too! Who'd have thought?

https://twitter.com/KingTre_24/status/825561319982190592

There is the potential to hamstring the GOP, tying them to Trump and his actions until it dies. The majority of the party - including leadership - are silent. I have a bad feeling about the near-future, but a really positive feeling about the not-too-distant future.

Also:

https://twitter.com/SarahPinsker/status/825543392977383424

The GOP will survive as a party once trump is defeated. No party in US poliitcs has died after winning one or more elections in literally over 150 years. This is not like in Alberta like once a political party is kicked out of power they either die eventually or never gain power again.

etrain911

I called my senators and threatened not to support them in future primaries if I saw them cosign on any more Trump nominations. This shit needs to end, to cosign any of them is to be an accomplice in a fascist regime.Anything but blanket obstructionism does not fly with me.

Pixieking

Banned
The GOP will survive as a party once trump is defeated. No party in US poliitcs has died after winning one or more elections in literally over 150 years. This is not like in Alberta like once a political party is kicked out of power they either die or never gain power again.

Really? I mean, sure, I can see the White Evangelicals sticking with the party, but beyond that? The ethnic shifts are already moving against the GOP, and even if the Hispanic group doesn't vote as a block, the majority of them will vote Dem, right? Add to that increasing social liberalisation and the GOP's backward attitude to social rights, climate-change denial, medicare/ACA.

I think it partly comes down to what the party actually does. There was talk here pre-election of the Dems tying Trump to the GOP, tainting the party with his toxicity. Well, they're actively tainting themselves now, in what looks like a last-ditch attempt to stay relevant and screw the country over one last time. But if they flip on Trump in the next couple of days, they'll live longer.

Edit:

Malevolence Tempered by Incompetence: Trump's Horrifying Executive Order on Refugees and Visas

Benjamin Wittes is editor in chief of Lawfare and a Senior Fellow in Governance Studies at the Brookings Institution. He is the author of several books and is co-chair of the Hoover Institution's Working Group on National Security, Technology, and Law.

Let's start with the malevolence of the document, which Amira Mikhail summarized and Adham Sahloul analyzed earlier today. I don't use the word ”malevolence" here lightly. As readers of my work know, I believe in strong counterterrorism powers. I defend non-criminal detention. I've got no problem with drone strikes. I'm positively enthusiastic about American surveillance policies. I was much less offended than others were by the CIA's interrogations in the years after September 11. I have defended military commissions.

Some of these policies were effective; some were not. Some worked out better than others. And I don't mean to relitigate any of those questions here. My sole point is that all of these policies were conceptualized and designed and implemented by people who were earnestly trying to protect the country from very real threats. And the policies were, to a one, proximately related to important goals in the effort. While some of these policies proved tragically misguided and caused great harm to innocent people, none of them was designed or intended to be cruel to vulnerable, concededly innocent people. Even the CIA's interrogation program, after all, was deployed against people the agency believed (mostly correctly) to be senior terrorists of the most dangerous sort and to garner information from them that would prevent attacks.

I actually cannot say that about Trump's new executive order—and neither can anyone else.

At least, in my opinion.

You don’t beat fascists with kumbayas and love. Come on.

What fuckin bipartisanship? Who the hell do you see on that side standing up?

Pixieking

Banned

At least, in my opinion.

I've been trying to think of a way to phrase a reasoned but impassioned post about why you're wrong.

I couldn't... And then I remembered this:

C3RXztrWcAEEpbr.jpg

That is the kind of person you're trying to reach out to with compassion and commonality, and it will fail because they're hateful people.

From this tweet, btw: https://twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/825381180056940544

Evan McMullin Verified account
‏@Evan_McMullin

Wake up, Republicans! You are in league with racists opposed to the cause of liberty. Your silence shall define you!

Yeah, and hopefully motivate them to vote without any hesitation. That last election missing 50% of actual voters in the U.S. is ridiculously big.

Also, I noticed Senator Warren is putting in some work on FB by protesting the visa EA. Hopefully many other Dem Congressmen and women are putting in work!

royalan

I'm really starting to like that Evan McMullin guy. Then again, I haven't had a whole lot of time to really dig into the guy's politics. Still, can't deny he's led the charge on being outspoken against Trump.

Dems better smarten up, because if he keeps it up I could see him making a more serious run for the Presidency in the future, and taking a significant chunk of both party's voters.

BowieZ

Banned
Looks like you guys completely missed my point. I never said neo-Nazis could be "kumbaya"d lol. If you wanna discuss what I'm actually talking about, feel free to PM me here or on Twitter.

Meanwhile, I just spent 10 hours protesting and tweeting hundreds of tweets, and contributed to the ACLU, and I'm not even a US citizen.

Just gained 14 followers :p I'm doing what I can.

Don't know if this was posted.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/ny-immigration-order-stay/index.html
The Department of Homeland Security said on Sunday it will comply with judicial orders not to deport detained travelers.
This comes after a federal judge in New York granted an emergency stay Saturday night for citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries who have already arrived in the US and those who are in transit, and who hold valid visas, ruling they cannot be removed from the US.

That move limited part of President Donald Trump's executive order barring citizens from those countries from entering the US for the next 90 days.

Similar legal rulings were made in Virginia and Washington state after the New York ruling was made.
"The Department of Homeland Security will comply with judicial orders; faithfully enforce our immigration laws, and implement the president's Executive Orders to ensure that those entering the United States do not pose a threat to our country or the American people," the department said.
They're also trying to get the order out to CBP .

Pixieking

Banned
Looks like you guys completely missed my point. I never said neo-Nazis could be "kumbaya"d lol. If you wanna discuss what I'm actually talking about, feel free to PM me here or on Twitter.

Meanwhile, I just spent 10 hours protesting and tweeting hundreds of tweets, and contributed to the ACLU, and I'm not even a US citizen.

Just gained 14 followers :p I'm doing what I can.

I think the issue is, even if you take out the neo-Nazis, Republicans are spineless hateful people. This is the party of Cruz, McCain, McConnell, Ryan, and that heartlessness and lack of ability to reason actions and consequences bleeds down to the voters,

I'm not saying all Trump voters are like that - there seems to be significant push-back on social media, at least, and then there's the economic anxiety voters. But pushing bipartisanship with rank-and-file voters, when the leaders have as much moral spine as a whelk... I think the everyday Republican voters need to see how much death and destruction Trump and the GOP will create, in order to break down the polarisation that they've welcomed with open arms.

Don't know if this was posted.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/ny-immigration-order-stay/index.html

They're also trying to get the order out to CBP .

Customs agents ignore judge, enforce Trump's travel ban: ACLU

Though it's the NYPost, and it could just be that there's no clear directive from supervisors or senior staff to stop enforcing the ban.

Edit:

I cannot help but think that Hillary just wants to go out on national TV and say "I fucking well told you, didn't I? I told you this is what would happen, but fucking "emails""

Edit 2:

The Latest: Official says ruling will not affect travel ban
3 a.m.

The Homeland Security Department says a New York court order temporarily barring the U.S. from deporting people from nations subject to President Donald Trump's travel ban will not affect the overall implementation of the White House executive action.

The agency said the court order affected a relatively small number of travelers who were inconvenienced by security procedures upon their return.

The department's statement said: "President Trump's Executive Orders remain in place— prohibited travel will remain prohibited, and the U.S. government retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety," according to the DHS statement.

Stephen Miller, a senior adviser to the White House, said that nothing in the judge's order "in anyway impedes or prevents the implementation of the president's executive order which remains in full, complete and total effect."

Ignoring the rule of law? Why hello fascist dictatorship!

Honest question: What's the US equivalent of the Reichstag? The Capitol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom