• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If this assessment of Trump's possible nominees is fairly accurate I'm calling my senators to filibuster any that are not Hardimann. They stole that seat and Trump will likely have the opportunity to replace Ginsburg or another leftist judge.

I dunno if I should or shouldn't be surprised that Thomas is the most right-wing guy on the court.

On the bright side, it's just an EO that can easily be overturned by the next potus even if SCOTUS doesn't throw it out (which I would be SHOCKED if they didn't 8/9-0)

But on the more depressing side it isn't like a GOP congress was going to sign any new regulations anyway. Or even if they did they would deregulate them a lot more than a 2:1 ratio

How'd Hardimann end up in the running anyway? Seems entirely too reasonable a choice for the slate of candidates I understood him to be working from.

RoguePOTUSStaff claims Trump is leaning towards Hardimann out of spite to Pence, Preibus, and Ryan. Of course that's all completely unverifiable and last I heard that account was suspected of being a deliberate disinformation campaign by Bannon or something?

Trump's older sister, who is a moderate federal judge, has been privately telling him to nominate Hardiman

He clearly values his family's opinions. May come in handy this time!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This may be the gift the Democrats need to take back over in 2018 and 2020.

The pessimist in me says that people have memories of goldfishes and by two years in everybody will have been habituated to Trump's shenanigans/new voter suppression laws are in place making it impossible to win back congress anyway.

I honestly wish people wouldn't just say "Go vote in the midterms."

Like, there are primaries. the fact that young people don't know about them or when they are is why they so often don't get candidates in November that they actually like. We need more people actually paying attention to these.

Torn! Appearance of nepotism bad, but moderate SCOTUS judge good.

He's said he would never appoint his sister because of conflict of interests, oddly enough.

Hardiman would be a huge improvement for the court, though. Scalia->Hardiman is a pretty big leftward shift.

It actually puts the Democrats in a tough spot because they should absolutely confirm Hardiman, but people want them to vote against anyone Trump puts up

Hardiman is what a regular Republican would nominate if we weren't in crazy land and the entire party was nuts. So that would be a fair pick, and the Democrats absolutely should accept that nomination.

It's only been a week. The special snowflake dem voters never hold onto anger as long as conservatives

The opposition party always comes into midterms with an advantage unless they're circumstances that change that (a botched impeachment or a massive terrorist attack in recent history).

Combined with Trump's failed policies, unpopularity and controversies, it's hard to see a situation where the Democrats don't make significant gains. Even against a generic Republican president, they'd make major gains. That's how midterms work and that's the general voting pattern of voters. Americans do not like one party having full control.

I honestly wish people wouldn't just say "Go vote in the midterms."

Like, there are primaries. the fact that young people don't know about them or when they are is why they so often don't get candidates in November that they actually like. We need more people actually paying attention to these.

Best message is to get involved. Anything helps, even conversation with others, getting one person to register, even RT'ing. Get aware full time and not just for elections.

CNN uses 'Travel Ban' like they are being forced to do so, any other network still call it a Muslim Ban?

Trump wants us to say words, Radical Islamic Terrorism but we can't call it a 'Muslim Ban' Travel Ban my ass

kmag

He's said he would never appoint his sister because of conflict of interests, oddly enough.

Hardiman would be a huge improvement for the court, though. Scalia->Hardiman is a pretty big leftward shift.

It actually puts the Democrats in a tough spot because they should absolutely confirm Hardiman, but people want them to vote against anyone Trump puts up

Hardiman would actually be a pretty smart move. He won't make it. Hardiman is a pretty sensible jurist, utterly pro police but sensible.

Mike M

Nick N
Hardimann really does seem like a poison pill. The best we can possibly hope for as he still represents a shift fairly significant shit leftward from Scalia, but if we're not already at there point where cooperation of any sort with Trump and the GOP will not be tolerated by the Dem base, we're fast approaching it.

Or, alternately, maybe the GOP in the Senate find him too liberal and vote against him, driving another wedge between then and the Trump admin.

Everything's an intractable mess.

BowieZ

Banned
CNN uses 'Travel Ban' like they are being forced to do so, any other network still call it a Muslim Ban?

Trump wants us to say words, Radical Islamic Terrorism but we can't call it a 'Muslim Ban' Travel Ban my ass
Amanpour was on Connect The World about an hour ago and said "let's face it; it's a Muslim ban, preferring Christian minorities to Muslims" etc.

I'm sure Roberts is praying for Hardiman. Otherwise he has to work with a crazy lunatic fanatic for the next few decades, bogging down the entire court for the rest of his term and potentially destroying his legacy (which he seems to care a lot about).

Hardimann really does seem like a poison pill. The best we can possibly hope for as he still represents a shift fairly significant shit leftward from Scalia, but if we're not already at there point where cooperation of any sort with Trump and the GOP will not be tolerated by the Dem base, we're fast approaching it.

If we get some Hardiman by some miracle the Dems should push it through and deal with any pissed off wackos later.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Going all out war against a Hardiman pick would be utter insanity by the Democrats. He's the best possible pick out of what they've considered, and the filibuster would be better saved for a potential 2nd SCOTUS pick by Trump.

Like his other picks, the moderate is a smokescreen. If by some miracle it happens, let the Dems in swing states vote for and grill him on every Trump action.

Bernie stans can be just as small and narrow minded as Trump supporters.
Everyone (including Bernie fans) keeps saying "Gillary voted against every trump appointee. We will remember this." Warren and Kaine are basically getting vilified for it instead of Bernie.

This Kaine tweet has loads of liberals in his mentions saying "then stop voting for his cabinet picks".

Going all out war against a Hardiman pick would be utter insanity by the Democrats. He's the best possible pick out of what they've considered, and the filibuster would be better saved for a potential 2nd SCOTUS pick by Trump.
There's also the fact that people want all out war because they believe the seat was "stolen".

Schumer is so weak that he's voting against every Trump cabinet appointment remaining.

C3bt2zEWcAAJIpf.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
I'm also of the mind that Dems should confirm Hardimann (should he be nominated) and deal with the consequences later. Lord knows we're early enough in the term that there'll be plenty of opportunity to distance themselves going forward, but getting Hardimann on the bench potentially nullifies a huge avenue of long term damage that could be wrought by any other pick.

The smartest political move would actually be to nominate Hardimann and coax democrats into filibustering it given their anger over the other Cabinet picks and everything else.

Then nominate someone worse. Once they get filibustered to say "welp we tried", and create the "tim kaine rule", and site when he said back in October that "If Republican's don't co-operate with our SCOTUS picks then will nuke the filibuster on that too"

and push through who they want.

I'm not entirely convinced we'll have legitimate elections in those years.

If the Trump administration was competent then sure I would agree. But they are completely missing the backboard, let alone the basket, on what should be easy layups. Instead of trying to push out traditional Republican voter disenfranchisement efforts, I suspect they'll comically overreach and it will backfire in spectacular fashion.

Time will tell of course, as the Trump administration could learn from their mistakes, but it takes a special kind of stupid to make the Bush administration look good.

The smartest political move would actually be to nominate Hardimann and coax democrats into filibustering it given their anger over the other Cabinet picks and overthing else.

Then nominate someone worse. Once they get filibustered to say "welp we tried", and create the "tim kaine rule", and site when he said back in October that "If Republican's don't co-operate with our SCOTUS picks then will nuke the filibuster on that too"

and push through who they want.
This would be.. but that requires Trump to be a rational actor and/or his Grima Wormtongue in Banner wanting to make that decision..

Neither of which seems like what they want though..

Uh, the 25-26th are entirely before he signed the EO.

Edit: Phooey, just beaten. You'd think if people were to invent bullshit polls they could get something that basic correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom