• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs to be jumped on immediately.

To be specific;

(a) Establishment; presiding officer; functions; compositionThere is established a council to be known as the National Security Council (hereinafter in this section referred to as the “Council”).
The President of the United States shall preside over meetings of the Council: Provided, That in his absence he may designate a member of the Council to preside in his place.
The function of the Council shall be to advise the President with respect to the integration of domestic, foreign, and military policies relating to the national security so as to enable the military services and the other departments and agencies of the Government to cooperate more effectively in matters involving the national security.
The Council shall be composed of—
(1) the President;
(2) the Vice President;
(3) the Secretary of State;
(4) the Secretary of Defense;
(5) the Secretary of Energy; and
(6) the Secretaries and Under Secretaries of other executive departments and of the military departments, when appointed by the President by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to serve at his pleasure.

BowieZ

Banned
Cyber security EO has allegedly leaked
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229407330&postcount=98

Ten days. Unprecedented leaks. It's clear there are GOP aides in the WH who have no loyalty to the president. The only leaks you should get this early in an administration are puff piece shit. The type of exclusives you give to NYT/Vox (if you're a democrat) or the WSJ (if you're a republican): "we did this thing and it went perfectly, here's an insider story about it." Entire executive orders and other sensitive info should not be leaking like this.

dana boente locked his twitter. he must be deleting stuff rn.

Oh sweet jesus, it's an EO legalizing (mandating!) propaganda. "DoD and DHS will advise DoE" and SecDef gets direct input on the US education system for reasons unknown. There's also language on inviting the SEC and FEC along for the ride.

bjGBohu.png

This is a truly historic moment in time, people.

EDIT: More info on the below

The intercept is teasing a huge article for tomorrow am.

https://twitter.com/jeremyscahill/status/826252148476370947

More info -- I'm not sure how 'legit' this is:

http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=47c9040f6ff957a59bd88396e&id=f429798540

On Tuesday morning The Intercept will publish ”The FBI's Secret Rules," an investigative series about how the government's law enforcement agency interprets the legal limits on its own powers, sometimes in ways that might shock you. Glenn Greenwald and Betsy Reed write: "The FBI has quietly transformed the system of rules and restraints put in place after the scandals of the '70s, opening the door for a new wave of civil liberties violations."

The main headline: "Secret Docs Reveal: President Trump Has Inherited An FBI With Vast Hidden Powers."

There will be many other headlines — nine stories in all — and more than a thousand pages of documents for readers to view for themselves. Editors at The Intercept have been working on this for months, and FBI officials have been trying to tap the brakes for months. But the agency ultimately provided on-the-record responses. I'm told the project will be published around 7 a.m. ET...
-- Jeremy Scahill's tease on Twitter: "We will publish a major story at @theintercept that the government does not want out. Stay tuned..."

I think if theres one thing we've learned from this past week is that the idea of pence being the real president and trump just being the mascot were misguided. Trump is definitely doing his own thing. Now, whether thats a good thing or not...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
No one teases a huge article. Huge articles just drop out of nowhere.

Last time I remember the intercept doing it, it ended up being Hillary Wall Street excerpts, which was relatively big news, impacting the debates.

Don't expect history making, but maybe expect something that can dominate a news cycle, even if news cycles last like 2 hours these days.

BowieZ

Banned
Last time I remember the intercept doing it, it ended up being Hillary Wall Street excerpts, which was relatively big news, impacting the debates.

Don't expect history making, but maybe expect something that can dominate a news cycle, even if news cycles last like 2 hours these days.

See above for further info.

I've seen enough people argue "if an employee doesn't do what your boss tells you to do, you get fired"

It's not even remotely that simple. And no one is actually arguing that the act was illegal anyway.

UberTag

I think if theres one thing we've learned from this past week is that the idea of pence being the real president and trump just being the mascot were misguided. Trump is definitely doing his own thing. Now, whether thats a good thing or not...
Why can't Trump be the mascot for Bannon instead of Pence?

Trump is going nuclear with his Supreme Court nominee Thanks to the Dems.
If he chooses to do that, that's on no one but him. He could choose to be the bigger man or whatever. If he fails to do that, that's on him. No one made him for anything. He's his own person and it's no one's decision but his own if he decides to be petty or vindictive. And the same holds true for his executive orders.

Unless, that is, you want to argue that there's something about Trump that makes him unable NOT to be petty and vindictive, but that's your choice.

Kevitivity

If he chooses to do that, that's on no one but him. He could choose to be the bigger man or whatever. If he fails to do that, that's on him. No one made him for anything. He's his own person and it's no one's decision but his own if he decides to be petty or vindictive. And the same holds true for his executive orders

Being a "bigger man" has nothing to do with it. He's merely using the tactics the Dems used to push his agenda. It's called "politics".

well, that sure is Trump speak. Section 1 is meaningless drivel, and the rest doesn't really mean much, but 7d... Jesus Christ. "Let's have the military appoint people to an education"
I'm having USSR flashbacks, and that's not a good thing.

Also, apparently Homeland Security is already fused into an Organization? Section 4.

In slightly more positive news, Koch brothers are against the wall, against the Muslim ban and will be spending a shitload to prevent the border tax

letthemfight.gif

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-kochs-idUSKBN15E05L

I.... I think they've opened Pandora's box and haven been out-staged by what they've unleashed.
I expect extreme-right publications to turn on them now.

Are refugees put on a path to citizenship or are they just considered legal residents but citizens of their home country?

Need for a social media argument.

Are refugees put on a path to citizenship or are they just considered legal residents but citizens of their home country?

Need for a social media argument.

It takes like a decade for most refugees to get citizenship doesn't it? Usually they are here on visa's and I believe that qualifies them as a "legal resident".

Pixieking

Banned
That moment when you realize that the Trump admin hasn't even faced an external problem i.e. hurricane, terror attack, or even pushing a fucking bill through congress. Literally every day has been another self made crisis

It's his campaign all over again.

Hillary and her staff weren't wrong to go negative on Trump's temperament. They were just wrong when they assumed it would matter during the campaign and on election day.

Btw, there's been protests against the ban and Trump in the UK. This is Sheffield:

C3cxOK1WQAAStnH.jpg

Edit:

The right splits, and the nature of our democracy is up for grabs

Jennifer Rubin writes the Right Turn blog for The Post, offering reported opinion from a conservative perspective.

The schism in the GOP could not be more obvious: On one side stands ”blood and soil" nationalists bent on stirring the passions of working-class whites who have been convinced that all Muslims are dangerous. They decline to look at the outcomes of the policies; rather, they seek to bond with and channel the irrational anger of their base. The justification for an outlandish policy becomes: That's what President Trump ran on. (Put differently, the more closely you look at Trump's executive order on immigration, ”the more clearly un-serious it is in addressing any real problem. It's Breitbart-like boob bait for the bubbas," as Bill Kristol tweeted.) The order is both under- and overinclusive in scope, substituting immigration exclusionism for national security policy. (Or is it using national security to justify immigration exclusionism?)

On the other side of divide were lawmakers — including Sens. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) — foreign policy experts, former officials and the former independent conservative candidate (and former CIA officer) Evan McMullin, all of whom understood how unnecessary, counterproductive and morally offensive was the directive which anti-immigration zealots Stephen K. Bannon and Stephen Miller cooked up. Appearing on CNN's ”State of the Union," Portman matter-of-factly said that while security measures are essential, ”we have to do it in a way that's consistent with our values and consistent with our national security. We are this beacon of hope and opportunity for the rest of the world. That's our self-image and it's also an important part of our foreign policy. So we have to do it in a way that makes sense."

sphagnum

Banned
LOL no. It would be massively more racist than it is now.

Oh I dont doubt there would be problems with the WWC, especially regionally, but the WWC is smaller percentage-wise than it has ever been and this would give working people of color vastly more power than they have today.

It wouldn't take off unless way more whites than ever had become revolutionary politically anyway.

Teggy

I think Ann Coulter broke

Ann Coulter‏ @AnnCoulter
They say Trump's order will create terrorists, that Muslims will become mass murderers if told about it. Sounds like an argument FOR a ban.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Ann Coulter is destined to become the most miserable, forgotten, and lonely 80 year old in the old folks home.

Pixieking

Banned
It'll be back as soon as they tuck it into a loud and busy religious freedom framing.

I don't know if even that will work at this stage:

Boy Scouts of America will allow transgender children to join

The Boy Scouts of America announced Monday that it will allow transgender children to enroll in scouting programs.

Boy Scouts chief executive Michael Surbaugh said in a video message that the organization will now accept boys based on the gender a parent puts on a child's scouting application, ending a policy of accepting boys based on the gender listed on a child's birth certificate.

”We realized that referring to birth certificates as the reference point is no longer sufficient," Surbaugh said in a video message. ”Communities and state laws are now interpreting gender identity differently than society did in the past. And these new laws vary widely from state to state."

Surbaugh said the new policy goes into effect immediately.

Pixieking

Banned
Quite the turnaround.

Yeah, but like others have said here, most people know someone who's gay or trans. You could live in the whitest of white rural towns or neighbourhoods, where the only Hispanic is the woman who bags your groceries, and you'd still know someone who was gay. Not allowing gay leaders or trans boys really affects the perception of an organisation that's all about doing good.

Don't post other people's social media. I don't much care the reason.

Also I have no idea why you post screenshots of your replies at prominent people on twitter. If anyone wanted to constantly know what you post on twitter they'd follow you.

Chumley

Banned
Don't post other people's social media. I don't much care the reason.

Also I have no idea why you post screenshots of your replies at prominent people on twitter. If anyone wanted to constantly know what you post on twitter they'd follow you.

That was the first time I did that, and I saw other people doing it here so I thought it was permitted. My mistake, I edited it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom