• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

C3rgQiRVcAAvxMu.jpg:large

SAD!!!!

they're just gonna save it for midterms or 2020 to try and salt the earth for when Trump (hopefully) loses

Don't know what this is all about

From all reports he's always tried to have his own security over Secret Service, and clashes with them often. Probably paranoid that the Secret Service would be willing to bring him in if Congress impeached.

Pixieking

Banned
Trump was fatigued during his looooooong day of phone calls? Perhaps he needed to Man Nap!

Seriously, the first thing I thought of when I read the name of the song was Trump.

Inventing a massacre sounds like an extremely bold authoritarian talking point, even by Trump administration standards. Let's hope they get called out on it today! ...lol jk, she'll get away with it like usual.

If Milo being present at a WH press briefing doesn't scare the shit out of the media and get their attention, I don't know what will. ...lol jk, they're not going to say or do anything. Should legit terrify all the actual journalists there, though!

UberTag

Funny how "lol jk" is the de facto answer to describe just about every reaction from the press and from Democrats... whereas the citizenry is outraged and will undoubtedly continue to protest en masse.
At least Pelosi called Bannon a white supremacist. That's a start.

Chumley

Banned
Looks like Kellyane is going to have another very bad day today over this bowling green shit. Scarborough and others sharpening their knives on Twitter.

Pixieking

Banned
Donald Trump Plans to Undo Dodd-Frank Law, Fiduciary Rule

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump on Friday plans to sign an executive action to scale back the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial-overhaul law, in a sweeping plan to dismantle much of the regulatory system put in place after the financial crisis.

Also Jesus fuck!

Mr. Trump will use a memorandum to ask the labor secretary to consider rescinding a rule set to go into effect in April that orders retirement advisers, overseeing about $3 trillion in assets, to act in the best interest of their clients, Mr. Cohn said in the White House interview. He said the rule limits consumer choice.

At this point, Trump is pretty much going to own the next financial crash. Not only that, but - assuming a crash does occur - Trump won't go down in history as just a piss-poor weak-minded President who put Nazis in charge, he'll go down as the President who lost citizens a lot of money, and a lot of jobs.

Edit to add: I knew this topic rang a bell. John Oliver did an episode on them not long ago.

Also Jesus fuck!

At this point, Trump is pretty much going to own the next financial crash. Not only that, but - assuming a crash does occur - Trump won't go down in history as just a piss-poor weak-minded President who put Nazis in charge, he'll go down as the President who lost citizens a lot of money, and a lot of jobs.

You give to much credit to the American people. Half are idiots that will blame the next democratic president because all of this shit he is doing will come to a head after Trump leaves office.

Pixieking

Banned
You give to much credit to the American people. Half are idiots that will blame the next democratic president because all of this shit he is doing will come to a head after Trump leaves office.

Maybe... All depends when it happens (assuming it does). I mean, if it happened this Monday, he could blame Obama. No sane person would believe him, but like you say, half the US population are idiots.

If it happens, say, November, though? No way he can really argue it, and people are going to be hurting through Christmas when Trump is President. That's going to affect people.

Maybe... All depends when it happens (assuming it does). I mean, if it happened this Monday, he could blame Obama. No sane person would believe him, but like you say, half the US population are idiots.

If it happens, say, November, though? No way he can really argue it, and people are going to be hurting through Christmas when Trump is President. That's going to affect people.

"We are in a recession due to the failed policies of Obama. I'm doing everything I can to right the ship and make America great again!"

Fox News parrots this talking point over and over and you have half the country believing it. Shit this last election Republicans tried to tie the recession that Bush got us into on Obama and it worked on the dumbasses in America.

Pixieking

Banned
I mean, he can't actually undo laws... or at least he's not supposed to be able to.

This is true, he's just asking someone to consider rescinding them. Just the way this is all going, I'm not holding out much hope for it to not happen.

It is me going a bit overly-hyper with the doom, though. :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I woke up in a cole sweat last night and redid all of my company's financials to account for a 20% border tax. We were looking at dropping our expenses so much in the next six months that it doesn't kill us but still, fucking hell

Does anyone know off the top of their heads how badly a recession hurts consumer spending?

CNN just had a Republican on and was grilling him about taking away a gun regulation so now mentally handicapped people can buy guns again. Of course this piece of shit couldn't come up with good reasons for it.

dramatis

I woke up in a cole sweat last night and redid all of my company's financials to account for a 20% border tax. We were looking at dropping our expenses so much in the next six months that it doesn't kill us but still, fucking hell
Who wakes up in a cold sweat to do this kind of thing?

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Professional anarchists, thugs and paid protesters are proving the point of the millions of people who voted to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

This mother fucker.

If he had lost, he would be out there egging on his protesters.

CNN just had a Republican on and was grilling him about taking away a gun regulation so now mentally handicapped people can buy guns again. Of course this piece of shit couldn't come up with good reasons for it.

Yet here in Georgia state legislature is actually strengthening the law requiring a person to prove mental fitness to the court to be allowed to purchase a gun after involuntary commitment to a mental institution. Right now five years and you can buy one again, this would change that.

Wilsongt

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.....

WASHINGTON― A new law in Arkansas bans most second trimester abortions and allows a woman’s husband to sue the doctor for civil damages or “injunctive relief,” which would block the woman from having the procedure.

The “Unborn Child Protection From Dismemberment Abortion Act,” signed into law last week by Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R), bans dilation and evacuation procedures, in which the physician removes the fetus from the womb with surgical tools. D&E procedures are the safest and most common way women can end their pregnancies after 14 weeks of gestation, according to the American Medical Association.

A clause buried in the legislation states that the husband of a woman seeking an abortion, if he is the baby’s father, can file a civil lawsuit against the physician for monetary damages or injunctive relief ― a court order that would prevent the doctor from going ahead with the procedure. The woman’s parents or legal guardians can also sue, if she is a minor. The law states that the husband cannot sue the doctor for money in cases of “criminal conduct” against his wife ― namely, spousal rape ― but he could still sue to block her from having the abortion.

Fucking wat?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58939063e4b09bd304ba41ff?section=women&

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
President Elect: Those job report numbers are fake. a lie

President for less than 12 days: Look at the good work I did

Gruco

Banned
This in such a roller coaster. In so many ways, Trump's rashness and incompetence is building an incredibly weak policy legacy. It's bringing exposure to law suits, it's weakening his approvals and brand, and making real legislative change less likely. As he's doing this, Dems are I think very effectively sending Congress the memo not to fuck with Obamacare, and people are winning the messaging war, on both the ban and Russian sanctions. Some EOs have probably already been preemptively beaten back.

So there's a lot to be proud of.

At the same time, the damage is real. Relationship with Iran and Iraq in particular are fragile and being snapped in front of us. The entire postwar alliance network is being shaken. 5 year olds are getting locked up, doctors are being frozen out of the US, refugees aren't making it to safety. The chance of winning the court is gone, possibly for the rest of my lifetime.

It unreal that liberals let this window slip by. I think everyone got to used to being comfortable in Obama's America, that they stopping thinking seriously about the alternative.

I'm much less nihilistic about the world and Obama's legacy than I was in November. I think Obama genuinely changed the country. Republicans will not take us back to the days of recission or gay marriage amendments.

So, there's plenty to be depressed about. Neo Nazis being a thing. The love-canvas that lead to people projecting all their hopes on Trump no matter how clearly he projected his policy intentions. The mirror hate canvas for hillary. But, at least I can take solace in knowing that the left isn't going quietly, and that the new political engagement really matters.

Pixieking

Banned

I especially like this bit, in The Daily Beast article:

”We've tried to account for all the worst case scenarios," Mayberry said, adding that the injunctive relief clause ”doesn't have a whole lot of teeth," as it would block an abortion provider from performing a procedure already barred under the legislation.

I mean, the idiocy of this... Makes me wanna vomit.

Thing is, they could've ensured there'd be no case to sue in the case of incest or rape, and it would've looked less crazy. I mean, it'd be struck down still... But without removing those situations, it just looks so cartoon villain it's just gonna motivate the base and antagonise everyone who isn't an awful person inside.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Probably known information but now proof.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...mpaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

Trump's Campaign Paid Millions To His Own Properties, FEC Documents Say

Documents filed with the Federal Election Commission show that Trump's 2016 campaign paid millions of dollars to fly on his aircraft, compensate his relatives for unspecified campaign activities and rent space in Trump properties, including Trump Tower in New York, the Trump golf club in Bedminster, N.J., and Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Probably known information but now proof.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...mpaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

Trump's Campaign Paid Millions To His Own Properties, FEC Documents Say

Documents filed with the Federal Election Commission show that Trump's 2016 campaign paid millions of dollars to fly on his aircraft, compensate his relatives for unspecified campaign activities and rent space in Trump properties, including Trump Tower in New York, the Trump golf club in Bedminster, N.J., and Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

Boy it sure would be great if literally anyone in a position of authority gave a shit

Breads

Banned

Also Jesus fuck!

Edit to add: I knew this topic rang a bell. John Oliver did an episode on them not long ago.

Oh cool now rich fucks are able to use other people's money to gamble again. Because it worked so god damn well the last time...

Boy it sure would be great if literally anyone in a position of authority gave a shit

You have to hand it to Trump, when he does shady shit he's right up front about it:

Trump: We’re Gutting Dodd-Frank Because My Friends Can’t Get Loans

“We expect to be cutting a lot out of Dodd-Frank, because frankly I have so many people, friends of mine, that have nice businesses and they can’t borrow money,” he continued. “They just can’t get any money because the banks just won’t let them borrow because of the rules and regulations in Dodd-Frank. So we'll be talking about that in terms of the banking industry.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom