• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumly

Everyone from Nebraska needs to call Ben sasse. He claims he hasn't taken a position yet on the devos vote. Everyone in my family has called his offices

"Axes must start a 0"-purists are the worst. You may as well just vote Trump and be done with your villainy.
These are measurements of approval percentages, thus the only appropriate graphical tool is one that preserves proportions. Axes don't always have to start at zero, for instance wherever a delta is the most important measure, but in this case it is misleading.

kirblar

Wait Mondale endorsed Ellison? I knew Ellison was the right pick.

Though I've been thinking, if Perez does get the DNC chair I think Ellison should start getting groomed to replace Pelosi, I think he's one of the best figures we can have for leadership right now.
DNC chair and House Speaker are two wildly different jobs with wildly different skillsets required.

If he gets the DNC job and does a good job, keep him there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On mobile, but here's an interesting article on Gillibrand and how she's starting to become a darling of the Left after her more moderate tenure in the House:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/03/nyregion/kirsten-gillibrand-anti-trump-left.html?_r=0

To be completely honest, none of us thought she would track so far to the left when she was put in Clinton's Senate seat. I know I was disappointed Carolyn Kennedy didn't get the seat at the time, but now I'm not sure she'd have been better than Gillibrand. She deserves to have the left like her after all she's done in the Senate, she's been fantastic.

mo60

C3xPYa5XUAAgijU.jpg

RIP CNN, Trump is about to unleash his beautiful Twitter.

Were's the approval rating for LBJ?

On mobile, but here's an interesting article on Gillibrand and how she's starting to become a darling of the Left after her more moderate tenure in the House:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/03/nyregion/kirsten-gillibrand-anti-trump-left.html?_r=0
This was pretty interesting. I remember reading (somewhere, I think it was pre-election) that Gillibrand is actually extraordinarily lucky in her career. She was an '06 wave Blue Dog that almost certainly would have been wiped out in 2010, but because she got appointed to the Senate she has a very real chance at the presidency.

I'm not a huge fan of her and I don't think she's our best choice for 2020. She's Hillary Lite, which includes her lacking some of Hillary's flaws but also I think Hillary's strengths. She might be better at connecting with rural white working class people though, since that used to be her constituency, however briefly. Being consistent in opposing Trump does mean she'd probably have a good shot at activating the newly awoken activist base though.

DNC chair and House Speaker are two wildly different jobs with wildly different skillsets required.

If he gets the DNC job and does a good job, keep him there.
I understand that. I still think Ellison looks like a strong leader and anti-Trump voice, and I said if Perez wins, not Ellison. Like, if Ellison isn't DNC chair, then we should use his talents elsewhere.

kirblar

Harris v Cortez-Masto v Duckworth v Gillibrand is a good fight to have on your hands.

Primaries are a good thing. (so long as you aren't poisoning the well.)

These are measurements of approval percentages, thus the only appropriate graphical tool is one that preserves proportions. Axes don't always have to start at zero, for instance wherever a delta is the most important measure, but in this case it is misleading.
But the scales are linear. The context of the graph is contrast it follows it would highlight that.

Carter's are so high and Reagan's are so low, huh. Reagan's are basically "everyone who voted for me" which is pretty interesting given his status as conservative Jesus now. I guess it goes to show how the Overton Window changes!

Reagan was a radical conservative who wanted to abolish Social Security and Medicare and was a giant racist, he was only elected because Carter was going through a bad economy and Carter was just bad at the job.

But 5% growth under Reagan got people to change their minds about him.

It wasn't really shifting Overton Windows, it was just the 5% yearly GDP growth.

A lot of philosophies can become popular under 5% yearly growth!

Harris v Cortez-Masto v Duckworth v Gillibrand is a good fight to have on your hands.
I don't want be all "but what about the white men" but where is Sherrod Brown there?

Reagan was a radical conservative who wanted to abolish Social Security and Medicare and was a giant racist, he was only elected because Carter was going through a bad economy and Carter was just bad at the job.

But 5% growth under Reagan got people to change their minds about him.

It wasn't really shifting Overton Windows, it was just the 5% yearly GDP growth.
It was just more notable because Reagan only won 51% of the vote. The EC makes it look like a bloodbath but that was mostly caused by the left abandoning Carter for Anderson last minute.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

It's really not. All you have to do is look at the axes' labels to see they don't start at 0, and you're done. By contrast, starting at 0 for something clustered around the 40-60 range just means a third of your graph is wasted on space that doesn't contain any relevant information.

It's really not. All you have to do is look at the axes' labels to see they don't start at 0, and you're done. By contrast, starting at 0 for something clustered around the 40-60 range just means a third of your graph is wasted on space that doesn't contain any relevant information.

A better graph would start from 50% or something and see how they deviate from that

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A better graph would start from 50% or something and see how they deviate from that

If it started at 50, you wouldn't see Trump's at all. There would just be a blank space.

Poetic, perhaps, but not terribly useful.

EDIT: Unless you mean negative bars. That'd be a neat way to present it, I agree.

I don't want be all "but what about the white men" but where is Sherrod Brown there?

I don't see him making it that far if Kasich runs in 2018 and wins. If Kasich doesn't run, and/or Brown wins in 2018, then I can see Brown running in 2020. Though, honestly, I think he would work better as a Vice President running mate.

I don't see him making it that far if Kasich runs in 2018 and wins. If Kasich doesn't run, and/or Brown wins in 2018, then I can see Brown running in 2020. Though, honestly, I think he would work better as a Vice President running mate.
Obviously him winning in 2018 is a prereq for his presidential run, but someone here (Aaron I think?) pointed out that the Ohio GOP is mad at him for not endorsing Trump and are trying to marginalize his remaining tenure and block him from the party, so he might not run for the Senate. I also think he might try and primary Trump in 4 years if Trump's approval rating keeps plummeting.

I think he'd make a great VP choice for Duckworth if she gets the nomination though.

Zukkoyaki

I'm pretty sure that Cuomo is going to run in 2020 as well. He's definitely a corporate democrat the likes of which people accused Hillary of being so I wouldn't expdct him to get very far. But hey, you never know. He seems to be speaking up about the right sort of issues to energize the left like the free tuition and muslim ban plus he has a solid track record of getting things done. Could do better than we think.

Obviously him winning in 2018 is a prereq for his presidential run, but someone here (Aaron I think?) pointed out that the Ohio GOP is mad at him for not endorsing Trump and are trying to marginalize his remaining tenure and block him from the party, so he might not run for the Senate. I also think he might try and primary Trump in 4 years if Trump's approval rating keeps plummeting.

I think he'd make a great VP choice for Duckworth if she gets the nomination though.

That's reassuring to hear.

I wonder how far Kasich would get in 2020 if he did primary Trump. On one hand, that would be a humiliating blow to Trump, especially since there's only been one president in US history that was denied the nomination to a second term. On the other hand, Kasich winning would probably elevate him to Reagan status, and we could end up with eight years of a Republican White House.

I'm pretty sure that Cuomo is going to run in 2020 as well. He's definitely a corporate democrat the likes of which people accused Hillary of being so I wouldn't expdct him to get very far. But hey, you never know. He seems to be speaking up about the right sort of issues to energize the left like the free tuition and muslim ban plus he has a solid track record of getting things done. Could do better than we think.

I see Cuomo getting as far to the nomination as Pataki did during the 2016 Republican race.

mo60

That's reassuring to hear.

I wonder how far Kasich would get in 2020 if he did primary Trump. On one hand, that would be a humiliating blow to Trump, especially since there's only been one president in US history that was denied the nomination to a second term. On the other hand, Kasich winning would probably elevate him to Reagan status, and we could end up with eight years of a Republican White House.

I see Cuomo getting as far to the nomination as Pataki did during the 2016 Republican race.

That won't happen.If Kasich primaried trump and won against him it wouldn't end well for the republicans in the general. A part of the republican base would not bother supporting Kasich and he would be beaten easily in the general

kirblar

Gillibrand will suck his oxygen out of the room.

This is a good thing.

The problem with Brown is that he has no profile at a time when you really need one.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The crazy thing is that Trump has near record high approval rating among own party at this time, matching the same high 80s that Obama and Bush started out with, which are unmatched by any president before them. Might even be the record high depending on which polls you're comparing.

Only thing making him have record low approval ratings are democrats and independents.

From PPP.

no
Trump's base is that 42% and they're clearly more than enough to win.

I mean that even 40% think Trump has more credibility than the papers of record should tell you that.

Liberals have been and continue to be awful at marketing their ideas and pushing back at the GOP's effective efforts.

The resistance? Lol. Okay.

The GOP manages to get "death panels" and "religious liberties" ie license to discriminate, and "job killing regulations" into the public consciousness. And they've taken fake news.

The crazy thing is that Trump has near record high approval rating among own party at this time, matching the same high 80s that Obama and Bush started out with, which are unmatched by any president before them. Might even be the record high depending on which polls you're comparing.

Only thing making him have record low approval ratings are democrats and independents.

Well, there's no reasoning with the Joker.

DeVos confirmation on Monday or Tuesday is looking likely. Still, she's lobbying the repubs in congress to ensure they vote for her.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/polit...ying-senators0746PMVODtopLink&linkId=34106631

I'm really disappointed by this, was hoping at least 1 more would break. Though on the upside, protests will increase exponentially with her in office. She's going to cripple public education, and that's a serious cause for concern.

#LOCKherUP

wasn't lobbying banned? :p

Trump's base is that 42% and they're clearly more than enough to win.

I mean that even 40% think Trump has more credibility than the papers of record should tell you that.

Liberals have been and continue to be awful at marketing their ideas and pushing back at the GOP's effective efforts.

The resistance? Lol. Okay.

Kellyanne's messaging is so effective that literally no one other than white supremacists and white evangelicals has bought into the messaging (and they already thought that the media was the devil before Trump started running) and so the general public thinks that a trash TV station like CNN has more credibility than the president of the United States.

This is Donald Trump. A man who lies basically every time he opens his mouth.

So sure, she's totally ineffective. It's a really good idea to keep underestimating. That will work out well.

This ignoring whether PPP has corrected for their and other polling firms non response error that plagued the polling.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

This is a good thing.

The problem with Brown is that he has no profile at a time when you really need one.

If people had a problem with Hilary's shrill speech voice, wait till they hear Cuomo lol. When it comes to public speaking he sure isn't like his dad.

Tom Perriello did a podcast on New Republic talking about conviction politics, the path to resisting Trump, institutional problems within the party, and automation and it's fantastic. This guy is really good. He reminds me a lot of listening to Kander.

This is a good thing.

He's not really doing much rn but he'll get profile just from being a white dude from Ohio. I'm sure loads of white dems will be latching into him by 2020 anyways.

I'm actually kinda shocked he's not making a splash like everyone else has been. Maybe he's shook about 2018?

This is Donald Trump. A man who lies basically every time he opens his mouth.

So sure, she's totally ineffective. It's a really good idea to keep underestimating. That will work out well.

Trump is so competent that he's planning to start a war in Iran after one meeting with the king of Saudi Arabia despite having never talked to his Secretary of State. Also, he has the leakiest administration of all time.

[trump slips on a banana peel and falls face-first into a toilet]

me: don’t be fooled, the fascist mastermind is playing the long game

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/810200618832904192

I have no illusions of Trump being particularly competent. NB. Or even much of his team.

But Steve Bannon may be a literal Nazi. He's also managing to get everything he wants and isn't an idiot.

Similarly, Kellyanne Conway, horrible woman that she is, is very good at using her evil powers to spin.

I don't really see why this is hard to admit.

This isn't about long games and 43rd dimensional chess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom