• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

The fact that even Donnelly and Heitkamp voted against Sessions (along with all Dems other than Manchin) is kind of impressive.

I know a lot of people want to primary Manchin, but I'm not sure if you can win as a non-racist in West Virginia. The state is sad.
Seriously. You primary him and you'll lose 100%. Not saying he'll win, but moving to the left only decreases your odds. You don't want to pull a Tea Party and reduce your odds in key races.

C4LwwT8UMAALZ4L

uhh

Seriously. You primary him and you'll lose 100%. Not saying he'll win, but moving to the left only decreases your odds. You don't want to pull a Tea Party and reduce your odds in key races.

As a native West Virginian, I can assure everyone that Manchin is as far left as the state is willing to tolerate. And even then I wouldn't be surprised if they kick him out as a matter of party loyalty, effectively completing WV's swing away from its blue collar democratic roots.

If I recall, a Democrat won WV's last gubernatorial race, narrowly, because A) he was a republican until a year prior and B) his opponent was *literally* a sleazy used car salesman.

As a native West Virginian, I can assure everyone that Manchin is as far left as the state is willing to tolerate. And even then I wouldn't be surprised if they kick him out as a matter of party loyalty, effectively completing WV's swing away from its blue collar democratic roots.

If I recall, a Democrat won WV's last gubernatorial race, narrowly, because A) he was a republican until a year prior and B) his opponent was *literally* a sleazy used car salesman.
The governor was also an oil tycoon. That's who wins as a Democrat in West Virginia.

I agree. I meant in the general; the Republicans will run to the right of him and crush him. West Virginia is a lost cause.

I don't think it's a winning strategy to run to the right on economics in WV.

But I guess they could run to Manchin's right on white nationalism. Maybe the R candidate will have a racial slur in their slogan.

royalan

It's brief moments like this that make me wonder if an idea like term limits for congressional seats is really such a bad idea...

Mirand

I'm afraid that Sessions will be the shot in the arm of competence that the Trump Admin needed to enact their bullshit.

royalan

And Rachel is absolutely right in her central point: NONE of this is an accident.

It's pointless to care, ask, or wonder about how Republicans feel about the optics of what they're doing. They do not care.

For every man who kills their wife/gf thanks to this decriminalization of domestic violence, a Russian legislator from Putin's party should be assassinated imo.

royalan

"When Sessions was confirmed it turned my stomach. I mean, I don't have anything personal against the guy, we're in the gym together every morning..."

This is great to hear from the senate minority leader. Schumer, you're just what we need right now. Really, you are.

The Christian Orthodox Church pushing for the decriminalization of domestic violence is good evidence that religion is evil and only expresses any liberalism under intense political pressure.

"When Schumer was confirmed it turned my stomach. I mean, I don't have anything personal against the guy, we're in the gym together every morning..."

This is great to hear from the senate minority leader. Schumer, you're just what we need right now. Really, you are.
Was this supposed to be "When Sessions was confirmed"? Because otherwise this makes no sense lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Christian Orthodox Church pushing for the decriminalization of domestic violence is good evidence that religion is evil and only expresses any liberalism under intense political pressure.

That's a broad blanket to put over all religion when one type of church is doing it.

"When Sessions was confirmed it turned my stomach. I mean, I don't have anything personal against the guy, we're in the gym together every morning..."

It's so clear now why so many people didn't want Schumer for Minority leader. At least you don't see Pelosi saying this bullsht.

NeoXChaos

People like Manchin are just on borrowed time anyway. Ditto with Tester, Donnolly, McCaskill, & Heitkamp. Primaring them would be a fools errand. Once they lose or retire that's it until who knows how long. Same goes for Collins, Heller and Gardner.

AR and WV are so interesting since they took a decade longer to complete their R shift unlike their surrounding counterparts years earlier. The whites in the midwest may soon join their plains and southerns brothers.

sazzy

The Democratic Party has lost its mind — and its soul
Sorry guys I wouldn't usually link the NY post but some of the language in it is, well - just see for yourself

That is some caustically written propaganda! Rising blood pressure: the editorial

The WSJ had a similar editorial.

Its an interesting perspective, and I don't know enough about union politics to decide which perspective is likely to play out.

I guess we'll see.

The WSJ had a similar editorial.

Its an interesting perspective, and I don't know enough about union politics to decide which perspective is likely to play out.

I guess we'll see.
400px-Right_to_Work_states.svg.png

And it might be national soon!

Given mainstream Democratic support for charter schools teacher unions are probably next on the chopping block now.

edit: though props to Montana and Alaska for holding strong there, the only red states on the map I think.

The OT threads on this...

"dems are so stupid, they need a 50 state strategy"

"primary Manchin"

which is it...

Manchin is the best you're gonna get in WV. Those are exactly the type of democrats you're gonna need if you want a "50 state strategy." And the same people clamoring for it will be the same people bitching about a revival of blue dogs.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"I think most people can relate to the fact that a father, a doting father with very successful children is going to look after those children and, you know, if he sees something going wrong, he's going to call it out."

Can they? Can most people relate to a rich guy attacking a company for dropping his daughter's poorly performing fashion line?

"primary Manchin"

which is it...

Manchin is the best you're gonna get in WV. Those are exactly the type of democrats you're gonna need if you want a "50 state strategy." And the same people clamoring for it will be the same people bitching about a revival of blue dogs.

I mean, there are a lot of liberals who want to be hopeful about the world and don't want to have to think "to win in the South and WV, you have to be a white supremacist."

It's a depressing world to know that you can't win certain states without running white supremacists who would gladly put Muslims in camps.

"primary Manchin"

which is it...

How the hell do you know those are the same people?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

When calling some a racist is somehow more offensive than actual racism.

It's really insane. I guess it's just that being a racist has become so socially unacceptable, that it is now up there with accusing someone of being a child molester or rapist, and therefore it cannot be done without incriminating evidence of the accused admitting to being a racist or something.

"primary Manchin"

which is it...

The 50 state strategy is likely a buzzword or term for some. I'm pretty sure some that states we need a strategy like that doesn't know what it entails.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The 50 state strategy is likely a buzzword or term for some. I'm pretty sure some that states we need a strategy like that doesn't know what it entails.
Some mistake it for needing to push ultra liberals in every race in every part of the country, instead of acknowledging local differences and issues.

tbh I'm not convinced the 50 state strategy is super awesome. I mean, maybe, but if all politics is national now I'm not sure how much trying to localize them will work.

I'm more a fan of conviction politics now that I know the term. Maybe I should change my avatar to Tom Perriello since I talk about him so much.

kirblar

tbh I'm not convinced the 50 state strategy is super awesome. I mean, maybe, but if all politics is national now I'm not sure how much trying to localize them will work.

I'm more a fan of conviction politics now that I know the term. Maybe I should change my avatar to Tom Perriello since I talk about him so much.
This is what Obama thought.

He was wrong. You need that state/local infrastructure in place.

Crocodile

Is this synonymous with "base politics" (Rile up your base and they will push you over the edge)?

I mean, we were kind of running a 50 state strategy in the past by having racists run in the South under the D banner.

It's just that Southerners stopped voting for any Dem after a black man got elected president... And it's hard to run a "50 state strategy" when white Southerners won't vote for your candidates regardless of how locally suited they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom