• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the FBI/CIA may actually be ball-deep in an investigation and they don't want anymore leaking out. Just speculation on my part.

This is the vibe I'm getting too.

If there was no investigation, he would have flatly said, "there is no investigation actively" or "we already closed the investigation and found nothing".

Instead he's refusing to comment at all. There definitely seems to be an active investigation. Democrats want to leak the headline of, "FBI is investigating Trump ties with Russia!" but Comey doesn't want to give them that headline a week before inauguration.

The real question is if their investigation does turn up something substantive when will the FBI notify the public? I know many people want blood after what Comey did right before the election. But this has the potential to cause a constitutional crisis, so I'm okay if he keeps things under wraps until there's something concrete to show.

Besides if you read between the lines and various other media reports, the FBI/CIA are indeed investigating Trump/Russian ties. It's just they haven't made an official statement yet.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Vanity Fair has a pro-Zuck reporter write an article saying that Zuck will run for president and the reporter writes an article that inadvertently makes Zuckerberg out to be a manchild and psychopath.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/will-mark-zuckerberg-be-our-next-president
Vanity Fair paid for this garbage article? "Zuckerberg will be a great president because he's awesome, he craves power, he plays Risk, and he deals with technology. Did I mention I have a man-crush on him?"

Vanity Fair paid for this garbage article? "Zuckerberg will be a great president because he's awesome, he craves power, he plays Risk, and he deals with technology. Did I mention I have a man-crush on him?"

I play Civilization and crave power and am awesome too, make me the president clearly

I think the next 7 days might be the most dangerous in American history.

I'm pretty sure that should be saved for the first major terror attack from a loser who jerks off to ISIS or when Trump realizes that Putin played him.

The first could possibly lead to internment camps, the second could lead to nuclear war.

And even then, it's doubtful anything Trump does is more dangerous than the Civil War.

My only hope about a Trump presidency is that he's such an obvious loser and fuckup that all Americans hate him already so he won't be able to muster the political will to curtail civil liberties like other leaders can.

Duterte and Putin and Stalin and Chairman Mao and Hitler are or were well liked by a lot of people in their country. Trump is really liked by 25% of people and kind of liked by 12% of people and hated by 60% of people.

NeoXChaos

So is anyone here actually has the stomach to do the Inauguration Thread? It was the last one I assigned with the assumption that Hillary would be Inaugurated next week full of Queen memes etc.

I would love if we could get past this idea that tech people are these incredible geniuses who know what's best for everyone.

Yeah, it's the exact same thing...

GOP Rep.: Russian Hacking Is Just Like Mexican Singers Performing For Clinton

Rep. Mike Conaway (R-TX) this week tried to downplay alleged attempts by Russian actors to influence the 2016 presidential election by comparing the cyber attacks to a performance by a Mexican entertainer at a Hillary Clinton campaign event.

"Harry Reid and the Democrats brought in Mexican soap opera stars, singers and entertainers who had immense influence in those communities into Las Vegas, to entertain, get out the vote and so forth,” he told The Dallas Morning News in an interview published Thursday. “Those are foreign actors, foreign people, influencing the vote in Nevada. You don’t hear the Democrats screaming and saying one word about that.”

Take: Saving the Russia stuff until after election was good because it didn't seem to affect votes during campaign but allows the Dems to deligitamize Trump now.

Im not sure if this was mentioned already, but if Obamacare repeal goes through this looks extra bad for Republicans considering Congress will be investigating Trump while sending an extremely consequential bill to his desk. If this happens, Democrats need to really make sure people know Republicans sent an important bill to him to sign off on while actively investigating him.

Mike M

Nick N
I've found that my emotional state this week has more or less directly correlated with the release of more information on the Russia scandal. That can't possibly be healthy.

I've found that my emotional state this week has more or less directly correlated with the release of more information on the Russia scandal. That can't possibly be healthy.
I've worked 12-15 hour days in the middle of nowhere, mostly on Apache reservations. The story broke while I had no internet, and it's been such a flurry trying to catch up every day after getting home that I've now decided to just stop trying. A week until D-Day, whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen regardless of my being in the know. I'm afraid a lot of people on GAF are going to be reigniting their election night disappointment if nothing comes of this latest scandal. November 8th taught me the dangers of being too emotionally invested in political theater.

Mike M

Nick N
I've worked 12-15 hour days in the middle of nowhere, mostly on Apache reservations. The story broke while I had no internet, and it's been such a flurry trying to catch up every day after getting home that I've now decided to just stop trying. A week until D-Day, whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen regardless of my being in the know. I'm afraid a lot of people on GAF are going to be reigniting their election night disappointment if nothing comes of this latest scandal. November 8th taught me the dangers of being too emotionally invested in political theater.

Man, I am acutely aware of the exact same fear. I'm trying to stay objective about this, but it's proving difficult. And I can't stand not knowing things, so trying to go on a media blackout is just even worse for me.

Holy shit even Republican Govs are pleading with the GOP to not fully repeal
I think if the GOP leadership really got their way they'd just repeal the mandate and replace it with something less compulsive and more cost controls. Instead they have to deal with throwing tens of millions of people off their health insurance, jeopardizing the private market for no reason and with no plan to replace any of it. Anything that seems even a little like Obamacare will get squashed by the far right morons.

faisal233

C2FYwltUkAEt78o.jpg

Dan

Take: Saving the Russia stuff until after election was good because it didn't seem to affect votes during campaign but allows the Dems to deligitamize Trump now.
But what is the value in this? Democrats have barely any ability to obstruct Trump or the GOP agenda, so how does this help politically now more than before the election?

faisal233

But what is the value in this? Democrats have barely any ability to obstruct Trump or the GOP agenda, so how does this help politically now more than before the election?
I don't agree with the Russia stuff now vs earlier but look at what happened to the democrats after winning a filibuster-proof majority in congress and the presidency in 2009. The roadmap to oppose trump is already there, and he has a lot less popularity than Obama did in 2009.

Delegitimizing is a good strategy, it pisses him off and he responds erratically to it. Plus it's good payback for the birther bs if the Russian hacking turns out to be nothing impeachable.

I don't agree with the Russia stuff now vs earlier but look at what happened to the democrats after winning a filibuster-proof majority in congress and the presidency in 2009. The roadmap to oppose trump is already there, and he has a lot less popularity than Obama did in 2009.

Delegitimizing is a good strategy, it pisses him off and he responds erratically to it. Plus it's good payback for the birther bs if the Russian hacking turns out to be nothing impeachable.
And that's important too. Republicans were able to run a fairly effective smear campaign against Obama even while the Democrats had 58-60 Senate seats. Republicans right now have 52. Unless they get rid of the filibuster Trump ain't getting shit.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The repeal should honestly just be a bill that "formally" changes the name of the ACA from "Obamacare" to "Trumpcare."

Literally all the people need (except the wealthy who want their taxes gone).

faisal233

And that's important too. Republicans were able to run a fairly effective smear campaign against Obama even while the Democrats had 58-60 Senate seats. Republicans right now have 52. Unless they get rid of the filibuster Trump ain't getting shit.

Right. A legitimate policy-based opposition highlighting the pain of ACA repeal. And a constant fear mongering on Russia (regardless of what comes out or doesn't come out), Trump reinforces the Russia narrative all by himself and it puts him at odds with some powerful Republicans. Sprinkle in some corruption and hope the CIA is on a warpath against him.

We can win midterms, we did it with Bush. But the narrative has to be constantly reinforced by us to delegitimize him. Just like they did with Hillary.

Dierce

Right. A legitimate policy-based opposition highlighting the pain of ACA repeal. And a constant fear mongering on Russia (regardless of what comes out or doesn't come out), Trump reinforces the Russia narrative all by himself and it puts him at odds with some powerful Republicans. Sprinkle in some corruption and hope the CIA is on a warpath against him.

We can win midterms, we did it with Bush. But the narrative has to be constantly reinforced by us to delegitimize him. Just like they did with Hillary.

But our attempts are actually factually correct so at least we have that going on. Republicans on the other hand base theirs on outright lies.

Dan

I'm just not convinced that what worked against Democrats, a varied group of politicians scared of their own shadows, will work against Republicans, who are damned good about ultimately towing the line and pulling out every trick to pass their agenda and screw the country.

Urgh, that's a terrible piece, Greenwald is more interested in a witch hunt of his fellow journalists than holding the powerful accountable.

And doubles down by going on Tucker Carlson. Useful idiot.

He's not an idiot because he knows exactly what he's doing. He an anti-West agitator.

Wilsongt

Man, if only HIllary had stayed home and not interfered with Bernie during the primaries, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Le sigh.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is the vibe I'm getting too.

If there was no investigation, he would have flatly said, "there is no investigation actively" or "we already closed the investigation and found nothing".

Instead he's refusing to comment at all. There definitely seems to be an active investigation. Democrats want to leak the headline of, "FBI is investigating Trump ties with Russia!" but Comey doesn't want to give them that headline a week before inauguration.

The real question is if their investigation does turn up something substantive when will the FBI notify the public? I know many people want blood after what Comey did right before the election. But this has the potential to cause a constitutional crisis, so I'm okay if he keeps things under wraps until there's something concrete to show.

Besides if you read between the lines and various other media reports, the FBI/CIA are indeed investigating Trump/Russian ties. It's just they haven't made an official statement yet.

Or he's keeping things under wraps to delay things so that he can eventually call this all off post inauguration.

FLEABttn

Banned
Man, if only HIllary had stayed home and not interfered with Bernie during the primaries, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Every time I hear (seriously) something like this about the 2016 DNC primary, I can't help but think back to the 2008 one where Gravel was merely put up with and Clinton lost while probably winning the popular vote.

Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom