• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only they did boycott it

ssrly.

Someone make a Civil War game where all of the campaign is Tubman headshotting racists with a shotgun or a Haitian revolution game. Do something

Someone stop these people from playing online games with me. Breitbart, why don't your boycotts work.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
ssrly.

Someone make a Civil War game where all of the campaign is Tubman headshotting racists with a shotgun or a Haitian revolution game. Do something

Someone stop these people from playing online games with me. Breitbart, why don't your boycotts work.

Sadly no one would have the balls for a game like that. Hell, I'd settle for a game like Django Unchained where you're a freed slave shooting up the ultra-racist South to save your wife.

The Trump transition team is made of up of traditional conservatives who are not good people but at least are connected to reality and people that are completely disconnected from reality and want a war with China.

Highlighting the contested South China Sea as a potential flashpoint, Trump’s Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson threw out an explosive challenge to Beijing on Wednesday by calling for it be denied access to artificial islands it is building in the strategic waterway.

A Trump transition adviser told Reuters that Tillerson, Trump’s pick to be America's top diplomat, did not mean to suggest the new administration would impose a naval blockade, which would risk armed confrontation with China, something the new administration was not seeking.

But another official authorized to speak on behalf of the transition team pushed back on that view, saying Tillerson “did not misspeak" when he said China should be barred from its man-made islands.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-china-analysis-idUSKBN14X2LM

I'm just not convinced that what worked against Democrats, a varied group of politicians scared of their own shadows, will work against Republicans, who are damned good about ultimately towing the line and pulling out every trick to pass their agenda and screw the country.
I mean here's the thing - we don't need to convert diehard Trump supporters. That's never going to happen. 40% of the country would have voted for Michele Bachmann.

What we CAN do is one of two things:

1) Energize youth and minority turnout, even in midterms/off-year elections

2) Win back ancestral Democratic voters

If we manage to do both we probably win back Congress. We need to try and recreate 2006.

Azzanadra

ssrly.

Mafia III says hi (granted, its in single player).

Wilsongt

It begins.

More.

https://steveking.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/king-introduces-the-heartbeat-bill

“Since Roe v. Wade was unconstitutionally decided in 1973, nearly 60 million innocent babies' lives have been ended by the abortion industry, all with a rubber stamp by the federal government,” said King. “Human life, beginning at the moment of conception, is sacred in all of its forms and today, I introduced a bill that will protect the lives of voiceless innocents.

My legislation will require all physicians, before conducting an abortion, to detect the heartbeat of the unborn child. If a heartbeat is detected, the baby is protected.

America was founded on the concept that our rights come from God. All human persons have a right to life. How then could we confer that those rights allow the killing of a baby? I believe our most important responsibility that God has bestowed upon us is to protect innocent human life, and I will continue to dedicate my life to that responsibility.”

Wilsongt

I don't know how I feel about John Lewis calling Trump an illegitimate president. I mean... He still won the EC, even if by less than 100K votes, so the process worked in that he won 3 more popular votes than Clinton.

Eh... I guess just using rhetoric like that doesn't sit well with me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know how I feel about John Lewis calling Trump an illegitimate president. I mean... He still won the EC, even if by less than 100K votes, so the process worked in that he won 3 more popular votes than Clinton.

I think that has more to do with the Russian hacking thing than the EC thing.

Debirudog

his victory is won through outside forces. I think more democrats should grow some balls and fire like Lewis.

Even when Trump gets his nominee through (he will), it will still be a 5-4 vote protecting abortion rights.

Also there is no way they could even get the votes in the senate to pass that shit.

his victory is won through outside forces. I think more democrats should grow some balls and fire like Lewis.

Outside forces are at work in every election , Reid making false accusations about Romneys taxes in 08 or CNN giving Hillary debate questions. People make a big stink about it and its forgotten.

In the end do you think anyone who voted for trump regrets their vote because of where the information came from? The hack exposed corruption in the DNC . I understand that people want to make this a big deal that Russia was the party which exposed it but in the end Podesta and the DNC are fools, people at that level should know better then to put crap like that in writing.

So, geopolitically, who is the leader of the free world if Trump is sworn in?

France/Germany? Don't both have elections this year? What if they fall too? Canada? Is Canada the last beacon of hope?

Makai

France/Germany? Don't both have elections this year? What if they fall too? Canada? Is Canada the last beacon of hope?
You mean because Trump or because America is no longer the free world?

Wag

C2FAMpjWEAAT7Ii.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/01/13/tv-host-steve-harvey-explains-his-meeting-donald-trump/96555588/

Lol

Taiwan is going to be fun. Really. Taiwan is not worth the US' trouble protecting in a war. On the other hand, Taiwan is totally worth it to China to fight over. Sorry Taiwan. Nothing personal. China's motivation is going to be impossible to explain to Americans since our country is so young and (comparatively) diverse.
In the end do you think anyone who voted for trump regrets their vote because of where the information came from? The hack exposed corruption in the DNC . I understand that people want to make this a big deal that Russia was the party which exposed it but in the end Podesta and the DNC are fools, people at that level should know better then to put crap like that in writing.
There's only one subset of voters who cared and apparently still seem to care that I won't mention by name because I've vowed to stop doing so with sweeping generalizations. Not one member of the general public gave a shit about the DNC emails. No one can remember what was in them because it was fucking nothing. Even conservatives didn't have anything to work with in them; The best bullshit they had was #pizzagate and that was after the election. You'd struggle to find a single person who voted for Trump over the hacked emails. Some people turned away from voting at all? A few in aforementioned-category-that-I-shall-not-name. But that's it. They were just a distraction. Anyone in that group who actually went to Trump isn't a vote Democrats are going to hold regardless; ie they're not Democrats and not worth wasting time courting back right now.

There are so many ignorant people on twitter. Mind blowing, I know. Anyway, saw someone arguing that Trump wasn't sexist because a majority of white women voted for him in the election.

I mean, setting aside the fact that a majority of women over all overwhelmingly voted for Clinton. Even if the reverse was true, that wouldn't mean Trump is not sexist.

And almost all of them have #Maga in their profile description

Balphon

The most shocking thing about that quote is Steve Harvey giving advice to Ben Carson on how to run HUD.

They're equally qualified.

I find it hard to make any sort of judgment about how well the FN and AFD are going to fare in those elections.

Pixieking

Banned
I mean here's the thing - we don't need to convert diehard Trump supporters. That's never going to happen. 40% of the country would have voted for Michele Bachmann.

What we CAN do is one of two things:

1) Energize youth and minority turnout, even in midterms/off-year elections

2) Win back ancestral Democratic voters

If we manage to do both we probably win back Congress. We need to try and recreate 2006.

The number of 14 and 16 year-olds who are going to see quality of life crumble around them is going to shock people, I think. Hispanics, African Americans, children of immigrants, girls/young women, the middle class. Anyone who's seen a friend deal with sexual harassment/assault/sexism/racism. There's a reason Teen Vogue is doing hard-hitting political pieces - it's because they know what's coming, and they're at least partially trying to push their readership into activism.

If the Dems can't take advantage of first-time voters, they should be fired.

Canada's looking likely, yeah, though I'm pretty confident Merkel will win in Germany. I'm not so certain France will come out looking good - the constant anti-immigrant/anti-muslim stories don't bode well. I think Japan may actually come to the fore soon - their issues with surrounding countries is iffy (China and Korea, mostly), but they're also the country that's most heavily invested in the future stability of the region. Trump becoming President gives them good reason to move away from the US-oriented foreign policy of the past 50 years, and this may give them the confidence to become an intermediary in more regional and world-wide conflicts. Their new rules regarding a standing-army also give them more clout, though I'm not sure how much the Japanese public want to interfere in issues.

Canada's looking likely, yeah, though I'm pretty confident Merkel will win in Germany. I'm not so certain France will come out looking good - the constant anti-immigrant/anti-muslim stories don't bode well. I think Japan may actually come to the fore soon - their issues with surrounding countries is iffy (China and Korea, mostly), but they're also the country that's most heavily invested in the future stability of the region. Trump becoming President gives them good reason to move away from the US-oriented foreign policy of the past 50 years, and this may give them the confidence to become an intermediary in more regional and world-wide conflicts. Their new rules regarding a standing-army also give them more clout, though I'm not sure how much the Japanese public want to interfere in issues.

Thanks for the response. Interesting perspective. Been reading up on France's election due to your post. Looks like 6 different combinations of who is even in the final 2, party wise(sorry Melenchon it looks like you'll finish 5th)...and the leftist ruling party hasn't decided on a candidate...which could change the outcome of those final 2 if their candidate is good or bad compared to the others. Hamon and Montebourg seem to be better than Valls on paper IMO. Melenchon seems to be right on some issues although from what I read he won't compete.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Rachel disappointed me today. She called the Titans from Greek mythology a race of "giants". I mean, in one sense, it's accurate as they were supposed to be pretty big. But they weren't simply large, they were also gods, a group that is distinctly different from the giants, which also existed in Greek mythology.

Rhodes scholar, indeed.

*pushes glasses up on nose and takes a sip of pumpkin spice latte*

Rachel disappointed me today. She called the Titans from Greek mythology a race of "giants". I mean, in one sense, it's accurate as they were supposed to be pretty big. But they weren't simply large, they were also gods, a group that is distinctly different from the giants, which also existed in Greek mythology.

Rhodes scholar, indeed.

*pushes glasses up on nose and takes a sip of pumpkin spice latte*

The story was interesting at least. Trump family is in some deep shit.

If Canada is the leader of the free world, the free world is screwed. Like who is following them?

Australia
New Zealand
Mauritius
Singapore
Everyone in South America but Brazil
Countries in Western Europe not named Germany or France (under this scenario they've fallen)?
Scandinavia?

This scenario also assumes the Baltics get taken over, and Eastern Europe keeps its independence, but aren't the good guys. More like a bad actor fighting an even worse actor.

The Roman Empire is falling again boys.

Trump holding up a holiday card from Xi Jingping right after he asserts that One-China is "negotiable" is so hilariously absurd that I have become reacquaintanced with my spectacular disbelief of reality. This is the wrong timeline, or a dream. It has to be. After all, I'm un-perma'd. That must be proof. Maybe all those celebrities are still alive.

I don't like it either. I didn't like it when Republican officials used rhetoric like that toward Obama, so I don't like when Democrats do it now.

If there is hard evidence that Trump or his team did collude with Russia, then it might be fair to call him an illegitimate president. But right now it's way too premature and inflammatory for a Congressman to be making those kind of statements. Leave that kind of talk for TV pundits.

I don't like it either. I didn't like it when Republican officials used rhetoric like that toward Obama, so I don't like when Democrats do it now.

If there is hard evidence that Trump or his team did collude with Russia, then it might be fair to call him an illegitimate president. But right now it's way too premature and inflammatory for a Congressman to be making those kind of statements. Leave that kind of talk for TV pundits.

I think the thesis is right...he didn't explain himself very well. Trump is not a legitimate American president because he's a Russian agent. That's the case. Say that. As I linked to in another thread, here's a former deputy director of the CIA saying that back in August of 2016. You can't be President of the USA if you're an agent of a different country, let alone an arch nemesis.

You can't!!!!

We better get some hard info from Intel Community before Trump is supposed to take office. Make Paul Ryan President in the interim. He's not a Russian agent. Or is Orrin Hatch next in line? Ugh.

Diablos

If Canada is the leader of the free world, the free world is screwed. Like who is following them?

Australia
New Zealand
Mauritius
Singapore
Everyone in South America but Brazil
Countries in Western Europe not named Germany or France (under this scenario they've fallen)?
Scandinavia?

This scenario also assumes the Baltics get taken over, and Eastern Europe keeps its independence, but aren't the good guys. More like a bad actor fighting an even worse actor.

The Roman Empire is falling again boys.
Yep. And I'm sure the Conservatives will be able to take over Canada again.

So I was watching this SuperBunnyHop video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUeoHdpTNPc&lc=z13xhzybkkmcyr1j104cjdrbflz3tnzxuxo0k

And geez just look at the comments. He made a 5 second jab at Trump, and everyone in the comments starts crying about their master. For a group that harasses others for being 'triggered" and sensitive, these people sure get into a tizzy when their god-emperor is insulted...

I've been thinking a lot about this recently. The reason conservatives are so up in arms about PC culture all the time is that they're failing to grasp that there's two kinds of political correctness. There's the liberal kind, where you try to avoid saying and doing things that hurt people for no better reason than because they hurt people, and the conservative kind, where you don't say things because they've been deemed offensive. Now, on the surface, there's significant overlap in those two things, but then you factor in conservative's trademark lack of empathy, and you come to a conclusion: liberal political correctness is about increasing the common good, conservative political correctness is about protecting conservatives. So they mock PC culture when they see it as not being applied correctly, i.e. in their favor. As far as they're concerned, being politically correct towards minorities, women, gay people, etc. is superfluous nonsense, because that's not the point of conservative political correctness.

Taiwan's president is reallllly fucking stupid for calling Trump.

Taiwan is going to get screwed over and left for dead worse than Chris Christie was.

This whole Taiwan thing is easily the dumbest bit of the foreign policy madness. The previous status quo worked. China got to save face, which is really all they wanted here, Taiwan got to be independent. We had our cake and we ate it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom