• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elected officials aren't required to be drones of a presidential administration they disagree with. If they think something wrong is going on, they should feel compelled to speak out. Instead we got people saying free speech is actually undermining democracy.

It's incredibly hypocritical of how Trump questioned the legitimacy of Obama for years based on zero facts or evidence. But a civil rights icon can't make a statement based on credible facts and evidence is being told to stay quiet, to fall in line, and "recuse themselves from participation."

9a1kpEW.jpg
Oh. That's fairly tame.

I literally just read this on Freep:

Lewis is a longtime Demonicrat, and thus a lying, pro-abortion-murdering traitor.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time on certain sites trying to get an idea of how the air currently smells on the other side. It's bizarro world, even more than it historically has been. Obama is a warmonger, Lewis is a racist, the truth is a lie and lies are accepted as truth. Down is up, and up no longer exists. I don't believe the people admonishing minorities or liberals in general to reach out and talk to the opposition really understand, I mean truly and intimately grasp, how deep a chasm exists between the political spheres in our country right now. Extreme partisanship is practically an understatement at this point. This feels like cultural and political civil warfare. And perhaps the Right has always seen it as such.

And as I sit mulling over all of this I am beginning to feel a growing disappreciation for Obama's attempt to remind everyone of the inherent virtue of the American political process even as we witness daily the extreme lack of any decency in so many of its participants. I'm sorting through my thoughts and I admit this might be unfair, as there is little he can do now in these precarious final moments of his term that would not be extreme. Still, I'm frustrated. When we weren't paying attention the GOP traded their paintball pellets for live fucking rounds and I can't point to any Democrat on the national stage who is acknowledging this. Instead, it feels like we're collectively pretending that red shit we're leaving behind in puddles with each step forward isn't actually blood.

Crocodile

Pete Buttigieg's proposed DNC platform is fucking good. Definitely goes into a bit more depth than the Ellison/Perez platforms in terms of actual solutions/actions he wants to take.

Thinking of making a thread for the DNC chair debate Wednesday.

Oh there is a debate Wednesday? Will it be televise? I want to watch it if I can.

Mia Love's aide just told me that Jason Chaffetz wants to run for Utah governor in 2020.

KILL ME.

He would probably do less damage to the country overall if he was a governor rather than a congressman so silver lining?

I'm so sorry for you if that comes to pass

Lately I've been spending a lot of time on certain sites trying to get an idea of how the air currently smells on the other side. It's bizarro world, even more than it historically has been. Obama is a warmonger, Lewis is a racist, the truth is a lie and lies are accepted as truth. Down is up, and up no longer exists. I don't believe the people admonishing minorities or liberals in general to reach out and talk to the opposition really understand, I mean truly and intimately grasp, how deep a chasm exists between the political spheres in our country right now. Extreme partisanship is practically an understatement at this point. This feels like cultural and political civil warfare. And perhaps the Right has always seen it as such.

And as I sit mulling over all of this I am beginning to feel a growing disappreciation for Obama's attempt to remind everyone of the inherent virtue of the American political process even as we witness daily the extreme lack of any decency in so many of its participants. I'm sorting through my thoughts and I admit this might be unfair, as there is little he can do now in these precarious final moments of his term that would not be extreme. Still, I'm frustrated. When we weren't paying attention the GOP traded their paintball pellets for live fucking rounds and I can't point to any Democrat on the national stage who is acknowledging this. Instead, it feels like we're collectively pretending that red shit we're leaving behind in puddles with each step forward isn't actually blood.

This is spot on. I haven't watched Obama's farewell address yet, but I've been sort of bummed out by Obama's optimistic messaging these days. I wish he would acknowledge the concerns we have about the direction of politics in this country, particularly since the situation has gotten so bad. I understand that as the outgoing president, Obama is probably not in the best position to provide that voice right now, and that his messages of unity are no doubt carefully modulated to produce the best possible outcome for the long-term health of our democracy. I also get that Obama has a general optimism about this country and its politics. It's just that after having eight years of a leader who speaks to my concerns, it's disappointing and sort of unsettling to not have that voice anymore right when things are taking a turn for the worse. Hopefully another Democrat will step up and be that voice soon.

Elected officials aren't required to be drones of a presidential administration they disagree with. If they think something wrong is going on, they should feel compelled to speak out. Instead we got people saying free speech is actually undermining democracy.

It's incredibly hypocritical of how Trump questioned the legitimacy of Obama for years based on zero facts or evidence. But a civil rights icon can't make a statement based on credible facts and evidence is being told to stay quiet, to fall in line, and "recuse themselves from participation."

They don't care; it is about domination and control. They won so they should in many cases, do what they want without opposition and probably feel entitled to that power.

All of this opposition and criticism of Trump and his administration is making feel they don't have control like they should. That is probably why all this stuff of "Let's come together." is so prominent; they just want people to accept it.

If the protests are very large and noticeable during the inauguration ; it could signal to Trump and his supporters of just how much many people are against him. It would make them go in to the feeling of being victimized or more so than now.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
NYT has a Why Women Voted for Trump piece up today. It opens with a paragraph suggesting the women they surveyed had real policy concerns driving their Trump support.

The first person quoted is described as wanting "More Respect for Police" and her concerns are that (a) Obama blamed police instead of people not knowing how to act properly when confronted by police for violent outcomes and (b) too many immigrants are coming in and we need to take care of "our own" first.

Just to save people clicks.

NYT has a Why Women Voted for Trump piece up today. It opens with a paragraph suggesting the women they surveyed had real policy concerns driving their Trump support.

The first person quoted is described as wanting "More Respect for Police" and her concerns are that (a) Obama blamed police instead of people not knowing how to act properly when confronted by police for violent outcomes and (b) too many immigrants are coming in and we need to take care of "our own" first.

Still don't understand the point of these articles.

Grexeno

So essentially "Race is thicker than Gender"

Wilsongt

So race relations between cops and civilians are bad because blacks are uppity, but Trump will fix it by placing blame solely in the negros and not the cops?

Got it.

Hispanics have already taken over all the jobs blacks used to do before the 13th amendment was ratified. What do these whites expect blacks to go back and do? Just fall off the face of the earth?

Crocodile

So.......racism (for the most part)? Nothing we didn't already know :/

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So.......racism (for the most part)? Nothing we didn't already know :/

And sexism. The interest in the article isn't really what the interviewees are saying, but what the article is implicitly saying.

There's literally a Vince Foster shout-out in there.

There's a reason why Pussygate was the sole thing that Trump felt prompted to apologize for during his campaign. It was the first scandal he had which could actually piss off non-minority women.

Teggy

Ladies and gentleman, the dumbest man on the planet

Dinesh D'Souza‏ @DineshDSouza
John Lewis is not a "legend"--he was a minor player in the civil rights movement who became a nasty, bitter old man

The left's false narrative inflates minor figures like John Lewis, Democrat, & downplays major ones like Frederick Douglass, Republican

OVERRATED DEMOCRATS DEPT: So Rosa Parks wouldn't sit in the back of the bus--that's all she did, so what's the big fuss?

He'd have to literally somehow buy that election to win as the "Welfare and women's suffragism ruined democracy" candidate in fucking California lol.

I remember people saying this about Donald Trump.

You understand the difference between an entire country and a State yes?

Classic textbook economic anxiety on display there.

Ladies and gentleman, the dumbest man on the planet
I'm still disappointed that Dartmouth ever let him into New Hampshire. Would've saved my Grampa a lot of headaches if he'd stayed away! (My Grampa was the food service director at Dartmouth when D'Souza was a student there, and was a target of his slanders and libels)

Wilsongt

Lol facebook

"
I am so tired of all this anti trump business. If your not happy with him. Leave please. We have a country to rebuild. And stop all the race baiting. The fact that Obama sucked as a president has nothing to do with race. We didn't riot or threaten. You will have the right to vote again in 4 years. Til then SHUT UP."

So essentially "Race is thicker than Gender"

There is no solidarity among women and it is not bloc like AA or Hispanics. Women as a whole typically vote Democratic, but that is mostly due from extremely heavy support among minority women, I think. White women as a whole vote for Republican presidents. Young ones might vote more Democratic, but the older ones vote for Republicans.

These women could be Republicans, independents that lean that way, or sympathetic to Republican ideals. They will find some reason to vote for him. The reason that his sexists talk may not have swayed that many WW may do with the fact that a few of them may overlook his sexism, not because they think it doesn't exist, but because they might be use to it and are willing to separate his short comings to see his silver linings of his character. However, this is mostly attributed to older WW who will be more conservative anyway.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm encountering Trump fans who genuinely seem to think all black people live in the inner cities.

What the fuck.

I have lived in rural Michigan and Indiana. This is an extremely common belief among rural whites.

The voters in Pennsylvania and Michigan who voted for Obama and then Trump because Hillary sent emails.........................................

These people who are willing to vote for both a black person and a hardcore racist into the white house need to fucking wake up.

I saw something going around facebook of people saying Obama should resign on his last day so Biden gets to be President for a day

So he gets to be the 45th and all of Trump's merch will be wrong.

Will probably be Obama's best use of his last day if he isn't going to pardon Snowden or anything.

Teggy

"Who is this gu-oh Hillary's America, right, that was a thing"

The fact that this criminal shifthound even has the gall to speak after his philandering behaviour is crazy to me.

I'm still disappointed that Dartmouth ever let him into New Hampshire. Would've saved my Grampa a lot of headaches if he'd stayed away! (My Grampa was the food service director at Dartmouth when D'Souza was a student there, and was a target of his slanders and libels)

"The Republicans freed the slaves" is going to be printed on D'Souza's gravestone.

There is no solidarity among women and it is not bloc like AA or Hispanics. Women as a whole typically vote Democratic, but that is mostly due from extremely heavy support among minority women, I think. White women as a whole vote for Republican presidents. Young ones might vote more Democratic, but the older ones vote for Republicans.

These women could be Republicans, independents that lean that way, or sympathetic to Republican ideals. They will find some reason to vote for him. The reason that his sexists talk may not have swayed that many WW may do with the fact that a few of them may overlook his sexism, not because they think it doesn't exist, but because they might be use to it and are willing to separate his short comings to see his silver linings of his character. However, this is mostly attributed to older WW who will be more conservative anyway.

The same is true for almost every demographic that white people can be part of except maybe LGBT, minorities drag demographics into the Democratic wins.

Young, women, all because of minorities in those groups choosing the Democrat by metric fuckton blowout proportions.

I feel like this is a deliberate troll, maybe Bannon's doing.

Or Putin ordered him to report in.

I don't know would be the point this isn't the campaign, and his approval ratings are terrible. He also is not making allies to help with his goals.

gaugebozo

Hey, remember when Trump tried to pin birtherism on Hillary?

Trump's propaganda magazine promotes a new U.S.-Russia alliance by saying it will lead to World War 3.

I want to know who the REAL hackers are. Glad to see two people as honest and trustworthy as Trump and Putin on the case.

Guys who know what they're doing don't get convicted and sent to prison for campaign fraud!

That's like the easiest law to get around.

I was just mocking Marco Rubio; nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom