• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/314492-poll-obama-leaves-office-with-58-favorability

No shade at Hillary but If Biden were the nominee, he probably would have won

also, 58% is an incredible number for a democrat to retire on in a post fox news world

Looking at that HW had very high favorability. I think Biden probably would have won but I think this election would have dragged him down as well and Russia would have been after him full stop. I'm glad Joe gets to go out being respected. He will be useful in the upcoming fight.

On the one hand I tend to think Biden would have beaten Trump. On the other hand it's hard to say for sure how anyone would've fared without knowing what Russia would do to undermine them.

Liberals have yelled at Puzder so much that he doesn't want the job of Secretary of Labor anymore.

This is like the best example of why protesting and yelling is good.

I was going to post this yesterday, but I was waiting until non-conservative sites starting reporting on this. Laura Ingraham is thinking of running for the Virginia senate against Kaine in 2018.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/314458-laura-ingraham-mulling-senate-run-report

Yeah if she thinks this election was the trend for the future, she's gonna be in for a rude awakening. Lets review:

- Most Trump voters were mostly voting against Hillary rather than for Trump. There won't be a Hillary factor when running against Kaine
- Kaine is not only well liked nationally. But is VERY well liked in Virginia.
- Virginia already so blue that even in the red wave of 2016 Trump couldn't' win it. And it's only getting bluer.
- Ingrahm knows nothing of Virginia politics whereas Tim Kaine went up the Virginia politics ladder fair and square
- Trump's popularity (and with it the GOP's popularity) is trending downward overall, even if 2016 was a red wave.

bgbball31

Alright, real talk for a second, who are some GOOD right-wing voices to listen to and follow on Twitter? Those that can actually articulate WHY they are conservatives, and what conservatism is actually about. And what their actual policy ideas are and why. Obviously avoid the alt-right and outright racists.

I know, the answer here will probably be "none," but I figured I'd ask. I follow plenty of left based voices, but if you want to throw out some less common names, I'd like to hear those too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Liberals have yelled at Puzder so much that he doesn't want the job of Secretary of Labor anymore.

"He is not into the pounding he is taking, and the paperwork."

Bwahahahahaha. Ethics questionnaires are hard!

Alright, real talk for a second, who are some GOOD right-wing voices to listen to and follow on Twitter? Those that can actually articulate WHY they are conservatives, and what conservatism is actually about. And what their actual policy ideas are and why. Obviously avoid the alt-right and outright racists.

I know, the answer here will probably be "none," but I figured I'd ask. I follow plenty of left based voices, but if you want to throw out some less common names, I'd like to hear those too.

Some conservatives that I follow on Twitter:

- Ana Navarro
- Evan McMullin
- David Frum
- Bill Kristol

Basically, the conservatives worth following on Twitter are the ones that are constantly calling out Trump.

If I get the chance, I'm hoping to see if I can convince these antiTrump conservatives to help the campaigns of pro-free-trade democrats.

Crocodile

Pretty much all the conservatives who frequent MSNBC (except Hugh Hewitt who is a moron) I think are worth following. People like David Frum, Micheal Steele,
Josh Barro (though maybe calling him an out and out conservative is a bit much), etc. I would add Evan McMullin too. Like obviously I sometimes disagree, even strongly, with them along a liberal/conservative axis but they all have good heads on their shoulders, are principled, aren't raging hypocrites, and make good points frequently.

C2SzKMEWIAExGxU.jpg

Trump is so stupid. Like he'd be caught dead in an American car. And lol @ build better cars.

Some conservatives that I follow on Twitter:

- Ana Navarro
- Evan McMullin
- David Frum
- Bill Kristol

Basically, the conservatives worth following on Twitter are the ones that are constantly calling out Trump.

If I get the chance, I'm hoping to see if I can convince these antiTrump conservatives to help the campaigns of pro-free-trade democrats.
McMullin is great. Some dems need to coopt his anti trump message.

Ooh, source on this please. :3

I definitely think he wants to use a meaningless arms reduction program in order to justify removing sanctions.
Even though we already have an arms reduction treaty in place with Russia in New START. His deal will benefit us in no way whatsoever, and he's clearly doing this to lift those sanctions.

WW3 is going to end up being much dumber than WW1 and that's just so impressive.

BREAKING: Chinese state-media editorial says Trump showing "strategic arrogance" and China must prepare for a "head-on confrontation"

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/821130424856391685

Ooh, source on this please. :3

Even though we already have an arms reduction treaty in place with Russia in New START. His deal will benefit us in no way whatsoever, and he's clearly doing this to lift those sanctions.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/politics/andrew-andy-puzder-labor-trump/index.html

Wilsongt

A Jeopardy clue tonight dealt with John Lewis. No one knew the answer.

No wonder people are attacking Lewis so much. They don't know him.

Yeah... cars are not a 1:1 commodity. Hopefully this means fantastic automakers such as Citroen and other international makers will be selling cars here! Trump is going to love all the affordable, entry-level, tiny put-put diesel engines buzzing around our cities with their amazing fuel efficiency and high emission standards. Did anyone tell him that we sell American cars in China? Oodles of them, at that? Because that's our "build better cars" equivalent.
Wheeee, China is going to invade Taiwan because is a dumbfuck who thinks dick first, wheeeee.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-usa-trump-idUSKBN15001X
0% surprised. How is Trump going to stop them? Hah. From a long-term perspective this is about as good a chance China is going to get. This is just one example of a complete lack of understanding in a basic matter of foreign affairs causing a war and he's not even in office yet! From that article:
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said the United States was clearly aware of China's position on "One China."
...Which is meaningless when Trump himself isn't aware of it.

That peepeegate thread is swinging dangerously into pizzagate territory. And I'm all for a good purge when it comes to paid trolls, but the amount of paranoia around this forum is getting a little crazy.

Trump's most important demo (low income whites) now support government intervention in health care with 52% of low income Republicans now wanting the government to provide universal health care.

FT_17.01.13_healthCoverage_govtRole.png

That peepeegate thread is swinging dangerously into pizzagate territory. And I'm all for a good purge when it comes to paid trolls, but the amount of paranoia around this forum is getting a little crazy.

I wouldn't go that far.

Most of the "you're a paid Russian troll" posts are just making a point about certain users going to ridiculous ends to defend Russia/Wikileaks/Trump. Doesn't mean they are LITERALLY paid Russian trolls, just that with the way they post they may as well be.

Plus, it's not like this is first time there has astroturfing on neogaf.

And I get that the mods don't want shit to turn into a witch hunt, but if someone who has a full-history of intellectual dishonesty is posting in a thread to go to ridiculous lengths to defend Trump/Russia/Wikileaks, then people reading the thread and/or posting in it should be aware of what that poster is doing.

I wouldn't go that far.

Most of the "you're a paid Russian troll" posts are just making a point about certain users going to ridiculous ends to defend Russia/Wikileaks/Trump. Doesn't mean they are LITERALLY paid Russian trolls, just that with the way they post they may as well be.

Plus, it's not like this is first time there has astroturfing on neogaf.

*remembers E3 2013*

Oh boy, has it already been almost 4 years?

I wouldn't go that far.

So what you're saying is that we should take such posts seriously, not literally?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/314492-poll-obama-leaves-office-with-58-favorability

No shade at Hillary but If Biden were the nominee, he probably would have won

also, 58% is an incredible number for a democrat to retire on in a post fox news world

Yes and no. I think it speaks more to the absurd influence right-wing media has on public opinion. When was the last time the right really trained its sights on Obama? 2015? If anything, they pulled some jujitsu last year, ceding Obama's trustworthiness and scandal-free tenure in order to contrast it with their angle of attack on Hillary.

Obama should resign a day early to make Biden the 45th President just to ruin all of Trump's merchandise
This just made me realize choosing a Catholic VP seems like a good way to lose.

Biden is the only successful Catholic while 64, 68, 72, 84, 12, 16 all had Catholic veep nominees that lost. I wonder if there's anything meaningful there.

This better not turn into a rallying moment for Trump like 9/11 was for Bush.

Trump starts easily avoidable war that quickly ends (seriously, Taiwan's forces would last about five days) in total humiliation for Trump and the United States and he would get a boost from that? Bush should have been more prepared for terrorism, but he didn't actively cause 9/11. Trump would be actively causing a Chinese-Taiwan war.

So what you're saying is that we should take such posts seriously, not literally?

I'm saying that when people like myself call out pro-russian posters, the point isn't about whether or not they are literally paid, but the fact that the posters called out are not worth people's time because they aren't posting from a position of intellectual honesty.

Trump starts easily avoidable war that quickly ends (seriously, Taiwan's forces would last about five days) in total humiliation for Trump and the United States and he would get a boost from that? Bush should have been more prepared for terrorism, but he didn't actively cause 9/11. Trump would be actively causing a Chinese-Taiwan war.

Yes WE know the nuance, but I'm worried people falling for anti-chinese rhetoric as a rallying call. Way too many people already fall for the bullshit narrative that China is the reason the US has lost so many manufacturing jobs.

bananas

Banned

Biden is the only successful Catholic while 64, 68, 72, 84, 12, 16 all had Catholic veep nominees that lost. I wonder if there's anything meaningful there.
No. Nobody makes their decision based on the VP candidate.

Kusagari

Absolutely nobody in this country wants to go to war for Taiwan.

If you want to assure the GOP gets ravaged in the 2018 midterms, Trump starting a dumbass war with China over Taiwan shortly after getting elected is the way to do it.

Here's what ACTUALLY matters about VP pick:

- If you are running a low experience POTUS nom, you need a well experienced white male old VP nom as a way to check off the "experience" box on the ticket.
- Make sure your nominee can debate their opponent, not waste time attacking the POTUS nominee during a VP debate. (Kaine flunked the VP debate because he wasted too much time focusing on Trump rather than his opponent)
- Don't pick a VP candidate that is so dumb/unikable that they literally make you look worse (aka don't pick someone like Palin)

That's it. The following do not matter:

- picking a VP nom from a swing state (last 5 winners didn't run nominees from swing states)
- picking an energetic VP nom (no one cares about the energy of the VP)
- picking a VP nom with big plans (it's VP. no one expects the VP to do anything other than advise POTUS when needed)

Trump's most important demo (low income whites) now support government intervention in health care with 52% of low income Republicans now wanting the government to provide universal health care.

FT_17.01.13_healthCoverage_govtRole.png

Interesting there's no difference among Democratic voters.

Also, jesus:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareins...nd-said-i-no?utm_term=.naxZ2qXvyr#.kvPm3OM9yA

A Connecticut Republican councilman was arrested last week for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman while saying he no longer had to be politically correct, police said.

Christopher von Keyserling was arrested at Greenwich Town Hall on Wednesday and charged with fourth-degree sexual assault for allegedly pinching the woman in the groin, the Westport Daily Voice first reported.

According to an arrest warrant published online by the fact-checking website Snopes, police alleged the 71-year-old town council member assaulted the unnamed 57-year-old on Dec. 8 after a political argument in which she said it’s a “new world politically” and he needs to educate his fellow politicians.

“I love this new world, I no longer have to be politically correct,” he allegedly replied.

“If you’re proud of that I can’t help you,” the woman is said to have replied.

Von Keyserling then allegedly responded by calling her a “lazy, bloodsucking union employee,” prompting the woman to swear at him and walk away.

According to the arrest warrant, von Keyserling then followed the woman into her office, saying he was there to speak to her coworker. When that coworker said she was too busy to talk and left the office, the woman left too, not wanting to be alone with von Keyserling.

While walking past him to exit, von Keyserling allegedly “reached between her legs from behind and pinched her in the groin area,” police wrote in the warrant.

The woman told police he “looked back with a really evil look in his eyes and said, ‘It would be your word against mine and nobody will believe you.”

She filed a police report the following day, which resulted in von Keyserling being told not to contact the woman and to stay away from the government building.

Von Keyserling reportedly responded that he was sorry he pinched her and that “it has gotten this out of hand.”

He maintained that “it was a joke” and that he “couldn’t believe the victim was so offended,” according to the warrant.

Von Keyserling’s attorney, Phil Russell, told News 12 the allegations are “outrageous.”

“Von Keyserling playfully gave a lady who he knew for 30 years a pinch is what the accusation is,” Russell said. “And somehow, everybody’s wringing their hands and carrying on that this is a crime, and it just isn’t.”

According to the Westport Daily Voice, police have said that surveillance footage of the incident is consistent with the woman’s allegations.

Von Keyserling posted $2,500 bond and will appear in court on Jan. 25.

After Trump desperately pining for a trade war, House Republicans tried to put together the least harmful pseudo tariff they could think up.

President-elect Donald Trump criticized a cornerstone of House Republicans’ corporate-tax plan, which they had pitched as an alternative to his proposed import tariffs, creating another point of contention between the incoming president and congressional allies.

The measure, known as border adjustment, would tax imports and exempt exports as part of a broader plan to encourage companies to locate jobs and production in the U.S. But Mr. Trump, in his first comments on the subject, called it “too complicated.”

“Anytime I hear border adjustment, I don’t love it,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal on Friday. “Because usually it means we’re going to get adjusted into a bad deal. That’s what happens.”

And Trump doesn't like it.

The yuan is “dropping like a rock,” Mr. Trump said, dismissing recent Chinese actions to support it as done simply “because they don’t want us to get angry.”

This guy is one stupid motherfucker. Jesus Christ, how were the 46% this stupid?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-warns-on-house-republican-tax-plan-1484613766

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom