• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

Onion man.gif.

I mean, I would have believed you before 100%. My confidence in that is only 60-70% now. Non college educated whites would vote R, whatever.

It wouldn't matter much in the midwest except maybe in the cities but college educated voters would become a lot more democratic if trump went full KKK(i.e. like David Duke).

PBY

Banned
Rural America has no place in the future of this country. Even if they are not all bad, I imagine that the good ones want to get the fuck out of there and go live in urban and suburban areas.

I blame them for keeping the republican party and right wing extremism alive.

I'm elitist af but what the hell

ascii42

Rural America has no place in the future of this country. Even if they are not all bad, I imagine that the good ones want to get the fuck out of there and go live in urban and suburban areas.

Yeah, I mean who needs food?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
K4ZwGXl.jpg

Ten trillion over ten years is like one trillion every year for ten years. I looked at the federal fiscal budget from for 2015 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_United_States_federal_budget. They can cut a lot, but they need to trim social programs, especially if they intend to increase spending of the military. Repealing ACA would decrease revenue as well.

Seems pretty stupid because it would undermine the goals of the justice, education, and state department for Trump's secretaries .

If that's the case then he's absolutely my pick. Only thing left for him to say is a promise to keep Rahm Emanuel types away from the DNC.

All of them have been saying they are going to go with a 50 state strategy.

With that said, Pete Buttigieg has Dean's seal of approval!

kess

That is because they focused on the wrong states like Arizona.
Focusing on "right" and "wrong" states is the mistake. Vermont is a predominitely rural state that delivers a modest amount of electoral votes to the Democrats and a pair of senators, one of which is highly visible and active force against Trump. I would be interested how this urban strategy represents Native Americans in North Dakota if the interests of the city are superior to the outside population.

Writing off the rural population means a massive uphill battle in New Mexico, New York, Alaska, Maine, and Minnesota and consolidates Republican gains in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Montana, and Wisconsin. Pennsylvania doesn't need to turn into Missouri because people decided to be selective about which races were worth fighting for, m'kay.

That's only 268, Nevada is the only non blue wall victory.

Also saying "rural people should all die and shouldn't vote" seems like a good way to lose margins even further! Especially when suburbs can be just as racist, but also willing to vote for a tax cut no matter what!

I didn't know Dierce was running for office!

One of my pet peeves is when people act like a fucking GAF forum is where we need to police our tones to stop losing elections.

Let me try an example: what's your view of manufacturing jobs long term in the US? If the answer is something other than "Almost completely eradicated through automation since those workers don't have any skills valuable to the job market" then you're answer is wrong. But you can't run on that! You need to find a way to explain this stuff to people in those regions, or just lie your ass off (so far, we've (both parties) always done the latter).

What someone says on a GAF forum can be debated like a rational person, without the need to tone police them like they're crowd-sourcing a campaign slogan.

One of my pet peeves is when people act like a fucking GAF forum is where we need to police our tones to stop losing elections.

Let me try an example: what's your view of manufacturing jobs long term in the US? If the answer is something other than "Almost completely eradicated through automation since those workers don't have any skills valuable to the job market" then you're answer is wrong. But you can't run on that! You need to find a way to explain this stuff to people in those regions, or just lie your ass off (so far, we've (both parties) always done the latter).

What someone says on a GAF forum can be debated like a rational person, without the need to tone police them like they're crowd-sourcing a campaign slogan.
I'm sorry I'm annoyed someone gave terrible strategy while also stating that my friends and family have no place in the future of this country.

Your provided example is a lot different than saying "rural america can go fuck themselves", and what you call tone policing, I call nipping dangerous and foolhardy sentiments in the bud, bud.

kirblar

I'm sorry I'm annoyed someone gave terrible strategy while also stating that my friends and family have no place in the future of this country.
Rural areas don't have one. Sorry. The majority of jobs in the modern world are from people interacting with other people. That is not going to change. This is why cities have such a massive advantage, why red states are takers of tax money, and why blue states pump it out.

The vast majority of the country lives in metropolitan areas today. Rural areas are a shrinking minority. And they're one who are finding it harder and harder to survive because the cost of subsidizing their lifestyle is going up and up and up to the point where neither taxpayers nor businesses are going to put up the funds. These places are dying. They are not going to like dying, but they are dying nonetheless.

If your friends and family are heavily rural, culturally speaking, then they don't have a place in the future of this country. I'm from MS, and if anyone actually argues for support for this culture of minority disenfranchisement, intellectual distrust, and hate then I'm going to vote against such a candidate as forcefully as I can.

As I've pointed out, I can go find a gay black trans Trump supporter. It's rare, but doable. Rural voters are simply too "economically anxious" (to use the new term to refrain from hurting their feelings by using the R word) to contribute culturally to the US, in aggregate. Sure, there are folks like us who don't hate black people or find Muslims suspicious; but we are not even close to representative of our areas. At all.

edit:
Your provided example is a lot different than saying "rural america can go fuck themselves", and what you call tone policing, I call nipping dangerous and foolhardy sentiments in the bud, bud.

No, it's really not. The statement "Your family's work that you've done for generations is obsolete and you're going to have to learn to do something new, tough luck" is not really different to rural voters than telling them to go fuck themselves. I hear it literally all the time. "I'm not going to school when I'm 40!" "I'm not giving up honest work for a fucking office!" Etc...

Rural work is part of their culture (all work is part of a region's culture), and theirs is dead.

avaya

Most of America's problems would be solved if 60k voters moved from LA to Arizona and another 60k voters from San Fran moved to Alaska.

Theoretically, would it be possible to setup a fund that would allow someone to be registered to vote in another state, like Arizona, but continue to live and work in CA?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
We're having "Thanks Obama" drinks at work :/

It's been an awesome time Poligaf. I'm hoping things won't be as bad as we all think they'll will be, but preparing for the worst.

Dierce

Someone once said that it isn't people that make cities liberal, cities make people liberal. I know it is a simplification of something much more complicated, but increasing urbanization is the key to our success but to do so Democrats would need control of state legislatures and governorships.

kirblar

Someone once said that it isn't people that make cities liberal, cities make people liberal. I know it is a simplification of something much more complicated, but increasing urbanization is the key to our success but to do so Democrats would need control of state legislatures and governorships.
It's the unsocialized puppy problem.

White people growing up in small towns knowing only white people and interacting only with white people FREAK THE FUCK OUT when they have to interact with people who don't look or act like themselves because they never got over that initial fear reflex.

Cities solve large parts of this problem naturally.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was really expecting Obama to go HAM on presidential pardons in regards to low level drug offenders. Like, I was expecting thousands of them in his last days.

I can see that on a smaller scale. Oxford, MS is a liberal oasis here, largely because of the forced diversity that a college provides to the town. There's a mosque, synagogue, various churches, a pride parade every year, etc... and the whole town participates.

Rural bubbles breed hate.

edit: Kirblar, are you me? This is twice in a row where you've beaten me to similar points.

kess

Most of America's problems would be solved if 60k voters moved from LA to Arizona and another 60k voters from San Fran moved to Alaska.

Ironically, a lot of rural Alaska voted for Clinton, as did New Mexico and Colorado.

Whatever. When a county goes radioactively red, you aren't going to get it back for a generation. Say goodbye to half the Senate and watch as the future with automation goes pear shaped as its benefits go straight to the top. The Democratic party can either choose to mitigate these problems now or fight them in the weakest strategic and established position it has ever faced in the modern era.

Ironically, a lot of rural Alaska voted for Clinton.

Whatever. When a county goes radioactively red, you aren't going to get it back for a generation. Say goodbye to half the Senate and watch as the future with automation goes pear shaped as its benefits go straight to the top.

I mean, rural Alaska is largely Native American so that's not really surprising.

No, it's really not. The statement "Your family's work that you've done for generations is obsolete and you're going to have to learn to do something new, tough luck" is not really different to rural voters than telling them to go fuck themselves. I hear it literally all the time. "I'm not going to school when I'm 40!" "I'm not giving up honest work for a fucking office!" Etc...

Rural work is part of their culture (all work is part of a region's culture), and theirs is dead.
if you want to give Donald Trump a second term by writing off an immense swath of voters you need to throw him out then all I can say is I'm glad you're not running for the nomination

No guarantee with expanded voting rights restrictions.

Yeah, I remember posting the study a couple months ago, but basically the impact of voter ID on Democratic turnout is over twice as large as the impact on Republican turnout. Something like 9% vs 4%.

That's not even taking into account other mechanisms of disenfranchisement like reduced polling hours/locations.

kirblar

if you want to give Donald Trump a second term by writing off an immense swath of voters you need to throw him out then all I can say is I'm glad you're not running for the nomination
Those voters won't vote Dems until something gets fucked up badly enough for them to do it.

Dems problems were turnout related. You don't convert the enemy, you get the people who stayed home to come out.

And now we're back to my first point, which you commented on! So you must've read the part about being on a video game forum and not running for office!

I literally said on this page that you can't tell people they're obsolete (they are) if you're running for their votes. Doesn't mean we have to bullshit to each other.

NeoXChaos

Those voters won't vote Dems until something gets fucked up badly enough for them to do it.

Dems problems were turnout related. You don't convert the enemy, you get the people who stayed home to come out.

well what about margins? Let's say rural votes in the mid-west start voting like their southern and plain/flyover counterparts of say 70-30, 80-20, 90-10. Rural counties don't have a lot of votes but they add up. What's to say turnout will matter if margins become like the former?

kirblar

well what about margins? Let's say rural votes in the mid-west start voting like their southern and plain/flyover counterparts of say 70-30, 80-20, 90-10. Rural counties don't have a lot of votes but they add up. What's to say turnout will matter if margins become like the former?
Rural votes nationwide ARE voting like that. It's already happened. That's why the Dems falling apart on turnout was such a problem. This is their best case scenario w/ a racist pres like this and it was a barely squeaked out win.

you mean like the blue wall states Trump took over? I recall someone, I think it was whyamihere, saying the clinton campaign hit their turnout targets.

The sad truth is you need only to drive five miles outside a city to find bubbles of hate.

I mean, there are bubbles of hate within cities. Plenty of them. Let's not act like the Southside of Chicago became the way it is through happenstance, or like there aren't poor hispanic people selling knock-off DVDs on the sidewalk in Macarthur Park just a few miles away from white people eating at Michelin rated restaurants in Beverly Hills. Or New York's flirting with "poor doors" for a while very recently. There are examples of pretty overt racism in every city. The true pockets of tolerance and exchanges of culture are rare.

kess

Rural votes nationwide ARE voting like that. It's already happened. That's why the Dems falling apart on turnout was such a problem. This is their best case scenario w/ a racist pres like this and it was a barely squeaked out win.

Upstate New York split for Trump on the top of the ticket and Gillibrand on the bottom. Iowa district 1 split something like 53% to 46% for Trump. Do you fish or cut bait?

This isn't true and plenty of rural counties in Obama states were lost because of rural marginal shifts, not turnout.

The sad truth is you need only to drive five miles outside a city to find bubbles of hate.

Pretty sure i'd be able to find them bubbles inside any large city. There's always at least one enclave.

You know how much time I and everyone in this thread will spend in space?

Zero.

It's exploring the universe more than we ever will.
FeelsBadMan

This is shortsighted. It is exploring the universe in a way that is different from ours, but we're also exploring it just the same. Expand your horizons, b. Earth is being flung across the cosmos rite now, and we're along for the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom