• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, I just found out that the vote on drug pricing that was taken the other day had the support of a dozen Republicans (and was opposed by a dozen Dems)??

What the hell happened here?

Didn't have enough safety regulations according to the guys voting against it.

But pharmaceutical lobbyists are the real reason. The list of democrat senators voting against it pretty much fall in line with the list of democrats most subject to corporate lobbyists.

Although some argue that democrats aren't doing this for lobbiests, so I guess you could say they're the list of people that are most concerned about the well being of american pharmaceutical businesses. But there's no way you could argue that those senators would happen to be the ones to stop a good thing because it doesn't have enough regulations on it, and yet that's the argument they came up with.

Chicago went 90% for Clinton.

Segregation doesn't go away for decades. Just because the north side if the city is white doesn't mean they are willing to vote for a racist.

Sure, the politics are different, but the composition of a place like Chicago is proof that racist policies can be carried out in liberal places. We don't like to hear that on our side of the aisle, but I think inequity and prejudice needs to be addressed within city limits where there are democratic supermajorities just as much as it does in the backwoods. Maybe even more so, because there's actually a realistic chance of fixing it. The white folk on the north side might not consider themselves racist, but at the same time I doubt a lot of them are going out of their way to support black businesses. You can stay in bed all day and do nothing and technically not be racist, but fixing racism and segregation requires concerted effort and that's where I think a lot of liberal white folk fall short.

Diablos

This is the last full day of having a Democratic President for at least four years...

At this point, I wouldn't have cared so much if it were anyone other than Trump (and to a lesser extent Cruz)...

Trump seeing off the Obamas is just not right. Obama is a President, one of the finest this country will ever have. He is an intelligent, principled, and respectable man who did great things for this country. Trump is a sleazy, inept, and deeply flawed used car salesman of a leader that does nothing but bring out the worst in the US.

Tomorrow is probably going to be the hardest day of Obama's life. It's definitely be one of the hardest days for any rational, even semi-sane American.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a little eager to pull off the bandage and make everything real myself.

Certainly not eager to see people lose their health insurance, but eager to see what the hell the republican plan is, and starting the fight against it in earnest, assuming it's bad.

alternade

I feel like there should be an Official Venting thread to deal with tomorrow. A lot of us are going to need someplace to just get it out

Ogodei

Aren't suburban voters the "real" future of the Democratic party? Obviously winning back those margins on rural voters is a must (particularly with the brutal 2018 Senate map) but the college educated white vote has been trending bluer for a while now. Maybe that's optimistic, but it seems like the path to a majority in the house runs will be very reliant on flipping suburban districts... GA 6 being a perfect example.

Yuppies and the growing minority populations in the cities are the future, aye.

This is the last full day of having a Democratic President for at least four years...

At this point, I wouldn't have cared so much if it were anyone other than Trump (and to a lesser extent Cruz)...

Trump seeing off the Obamas is just not right. Obama is a President, one of the finest this country will ever have. He is an intelligent, principled, and respectable man who did great things for this country. Trump is a sleazy, inept, and deeply flawed used car salesman of a leader that does nothing but bring out the worst in the US.

Tomorrow is probably going to be the hardest day of Obama's life. It's definitely be one of the hardest days for any rational, even semi-sane American.
Feel so bad for him. Imagine having Clinton or Biden being sworn in tomorrow. Obama could basically ride off into the sunset for a bit knowing the ACA is safe, Garland is getting a hearing and whips in both parties are working on an immigration bill.

Now the pressure is going to be on from everyone in his professional and maybe even personal circles to constantly be fighting Trump tooth-and-nail in whatever capacity he can.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm not even paying attention to the inauguration tomorrow. Focusing on things that make me happy and will continue to do so as long as I can. This is going to be a disaster, and I'm mortified about what the next 4 years will bring.

Diablos

Feel so bad for him. Imagine having Clinton or Biden being sworn in tomorrow. Obama could basically ride off into the sunset for a bit knowing the ACA is safe, Garland is getting a hearing and whips in both parties are working on an immigration bill.

Now the pressure is going to be on from everyone in his professional and maybe even personal circles to constantly be fighting Trump tooth-and-nail in whatever capacity he can.
I really hope a lot of what Obama did, even if it gets attacked, survives. He did a lot of things and there were so many moving parts and for Trump to just upend it makes me sick. Biden seems to think more will survive than people think. I am not so sure.

Effect

Want to get through tomorrow as quickly as possible. I'm glad I have my own space at work where I don't have to be bothered with this BS tomorrow. I'm around teachers thankfully and I know how most of them really feel so that is a positive. However since it is a school the process like all other times is an educational moment so some of it will be watched. Ugh.

I've tried not watching TV news since the election but instead been following many of the journalist that I've come to respect during the campaigns via twitter and been trying to stay up to date a little that way. Don't think I'm going to break that now. Will try to stick to that as long as I can and continue to do more newspaper article reading. If there is any positive I guess out of this horror is that it has pushed me more in that direction and I've never been in this place before.

Trump Sought Military Equipment For Inauguration, Granted 20-Plane Flyover

During the preparation for Friday’s transfer-of-power, a member of Trump’s transition team floated the idea of including tanks and missile launchers in the inaugural parade, a source involved in inaugural planning told The Huffington Post. “They were legit thinking Red Square/North Korea-style parade,” the source said, referring to massive military parades in Moscow and Pyongyang, typically seen as an aggressive display of muscle-flexing.

The military, which traditionally works closely with the presidential inaugural committee, shot down the request, the source said. Their reason was twofold. Some were concerned about the optics of having tanks and missile launchers rolling down Pennsylvania Avenue. But they also worried that the tanks, which often weigh over 100,000 pounds, would destroy the roads.
The Pentagon didn’t reject all of Trump’s ideas. At the request of the president-elect, there are five military flyovers ― one for each branch of the armed services ― planned for Friday’s inaugural parade, Pentagon spokesman Maj. Jamie Davis told HuffPost.

The Air Force plans to fly four fighter jets: an F-35, an F-16, an F-22 and an F-15E. The Navy will fly four F/A-18 combat jets. The Army will fly four UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters. The Marines will fly four V-22 Ospreys. And the Coast Guard, which is still finalizing plans, is looking at flying four MH-65 rescue helicopters, Davis said. The number and type of planes used could change, depending on Friday’s weather, he added.

A pastor with a long history of inflammatory remarks about Muslims, Mormons, Catholics and gays is scheduled to preach at a private service for President-elect Trump and his family on Friday, shortly before Trump takes the oath of office.

The pastor, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, is a Southern Baptist who vigorously campaigned for Trump during the final months of the presidential election and is a member of his evangelical advisory board. "I love this guy!" Trump has said of Jeffress. Before the campaign, Trump, a Presbyterian, had no apparent connection to the pastor, who leads First Baptist Church in Dallas.

Friday morning's worship service, scheduled to be held at St. John's Episcopal Church across the street from the White House, will continue a modern Inauguration Day ritual. With the exception of Richard Nixon in 1973, every president since Franklin Roosevelt has attended spiritual services on Inauguration Day, many at St. John's. The event is separate from both the inauguration itself and an interfaith service to be held Saturday at Washington National Cathedral, where an imam is among those who will offer prayers.

Usually the Inauguration Day service draws little notice, much less controversy. But offering Jeffress such a prominent pulpit is likely to irk religious minorities, particularly Muslims, many of whom were already angered by the President-elect's stoking of suspicions about Islam during the campaign.

Jeffress leads a 12,000-member megachurch in Dallas and is a frequent guest on Fox News. But to many Americans, he may be best known for his frequent condemnations of Mormonism as a "cult" during the 2012 presidential campaign. He urged Christians not to vote for Mitt Romney, a Mormon, during the Republican primary. He later supported Romney over President Barack Obama.

Jeffress has also called Islam and Mormonism heresies "from the pit of hell," suggested that the Catholic church was led astray by Satan, accused Obama of "paving the way" for the Antichrist and spread false statistics about the prevalence of HIV among gays, who he said live a "miserable" and "filthy" lifestyle.

I know 60% of Mormons voting for Trump is a big difference from the 80% that voted for Romney, but come on, Trump actively hates Mormons and 60% of them still voted for him?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/19/politics/trump-jeffress-pastor/index.html

I really hope a lot of what Obama did, even if it gets attacked, survives. He did a lot of things and there were so many moving parts and for Trump to just upend it makes me sick. Biden seems to think more will survive than people think. I am not so sure.

I don't know why, but I'm not feeling so intensely horrified as many other as I was before. People really need to take the mindsets of Obama and Biden to heart. A lot of stuff that Obama did is popular with the American public.

If they undo a lot of it, hundreds of millions of people are going to be angry. I truly feel like, with enough pressure and backlash from the public, you guys can pull through and still accomplish so much, even under Trump.

As someone who lives in Canada, I wish you guys the best of luck. I only ask that you don't fall to despair, and keep fighting the good fight.

Stay strong y'all.

Wilsongt

Getting real tired of this facebook meme I am seeing of Bernie losing and still fighting for the people and then Clinton losing and going into hiding.

Two completely different fucking situations.

Getting real tired of this facebook meme I am seeing of Bernie losing and still fighting for the people and then Clinton losing and going into hiding.

Two completely different fucking situations.

you gotta fight memes with memes man. don't you know facebook is where like 40% of americans get there news, or something? Make a side by side one of all the things hillary has achieved during her career by being a pragmatist, "establishment" politician and then on bernie's pic write, gets naive jobless college kids excited. see how easy it is

I don't know why, but I'm not feeling so intensely horrified as many other as I was before. People really need to take the mindsets of Obama and Biden to heart. A lot of stuff that Obama did is popular with the American public.

If they undo a lot of it, hundreds of millions of people are going to be angry. I truly feel like, with enough pressure and backlash from the public, you guys can pull through and still accomplish so much, even under Trump.

As someone who lives in Canada, I wish you guys the best of luck. I only ask that you don't fall to despair, and keep fighting the good fight.

Stay strong y'all.

The trick is to stay out of Cheeto Benito's gaze. He's not interested in digging himself; he'll only pay attention to things that make him look bad, and that's just going to be his own plans and hires.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Didn't have enough safety regulations according to the guys voting against it.

But pharmaceutical lobbyists are the real reason. The list of democrat senators voting against it pretty much fall in line with the list of democrats most subject to corporate lobbyists.

Although some argue that democrats aren't doing this for lobbiests, so I guess you could say they're the list of people that are most concerned about the well being of american pharmaceutical businesses. But there's no way you could argue that those senators would happen to be the ones to stop a good thing because it doesn't have enough regulations on it, and yet that's the argument they came up with.

Even ignoring the regulations, this bill would have let the government negotiate drug prices right? If so, that's surprising as fuck that a single Republican, let alone a dozen would have voted for it.

Even ignoring the regulations, this bill would have let the government negotiate drug prices right? If so, that's surprising as fuck that a single Republican, let alone a dozen would have voted for it.

I thought it was just going to let people buy drugs from Canada at their negotiated prices.

Better than nothing, but I do think it's stupidly indirect (if I'm remembering correctly).

Y'all think congress will basically be forced to not repeal ObamaCare and settle for just tweaking parts of it, and giving it a new name? I'd imagine there's no way the Senate will just remove health care coverage from 20 million people on the spot. That would be chaos

Diablos

Y'all think congress will basically be forced to not repeal ObamaCare and settle for just tweaking parts of it, and giving it a new name? I'd imagine there's no way the Senate will just remove health care coverage from 20 million people on the spot. That would be chaos
People who have coverage will keep it thru 2017 from what I understand so basically, if you did not get in on time during open enrollment you're probably fucked if you lose your job in a couple months or have some other unexpected life change

He'll be taking up the @POTUS account from now on, right? I take it that comes with some sort of restraint.

I hope.

He said he's going to keep using @realDonaldTrump. There is no restraint with this idiot. He's still bragging on winning the election and making jokes about people that opposed him.

I don't want to bother people with this question right now, but should I go ahead and buy my health insurance now? I'm just wondering if Trump will repeal Obamacare immediately, or at least let it run until next year.

Any thoughts? Can he do this? I don't want to buy something that he just appeals two weeks later.

C2k79WLUsAA_f1T.jpg

How is the stock market so confident right now when policy uncertainty is at its highest point maybe ever?

Like, let's look at the strength of the dollar. This is an important thing to the American economy and can affect a lot of things.

Trump: We need to make the dollar weaker.
Mnuchin: We need to make the dollar stronger.

What investor has any idea of what is about to happen economically? How can you decide that now is a good time to invest with so much uncertainty? How can you invest in a random company when that random company might make Trump mad and Trump might respond by attacking that company and using the regulatory state against it? The amount of delusional confidence from investors right now is pitiful.

Some folks have advanced degrees, some have common sense, some a basic understanding of econ, there's a lot of sheep running around following the lead of others, etc. Cumulatively, they have expectations about how things should play on the fiscal side.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/ben-bernanke/2017/01/13/the-fed-and-fiscal-policy/

Now if Donald doesn't change course the initiatives will be poor bang for buck, but that's another story.

Sure, the politics are different, but the composition of a place like Chicago is proof that racist policies can be carried out in liberal places. We don't like to hear that on our side of the aisle, but I think inequity and prejudice needs to be addressed within city limits where there are democratic supermajorities just as much as it does in the backwoods. Maybe even more so, because there's actually a realistic chance of fixing it. The white folk on the north side might not consider themselves racist, but at the same time I doubt a lot of them are going out of their way to support black businesses. You can stay in bed all day and do nothing and technically not be racist, but fixing racism and segregation requires concerted effort and that's where I think a lot of liberal white folk fall short.

Right, but we were discussing the possibility of populations in the city voting for a racist. As complacent as Chicago's white population may be, it's not going to vote for a person like Trump.

chadskin

Since his election on Nov. 8, Mr. Trump has had little interest in the minutiae of his transition, saying it was “bad karma” to get too involved, according to a person who spoke with him at the time. At one point, he wanted to halt the planning altogether, out of superstition, the person said.

“In 21 years of covering the State Department and in eight years of serving there, I’ve seen rocky transitions and experienced what feels like a hostile takeover, but I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Strobe Talbott, the president of the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, and a former journalist and Bill Clinton administration official.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/us/trump-cabinet-picks-inauguration.html

Tremendous transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom